DAFC.net
Home 25 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Inverkeithing & Dalgety Bay By-Election
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 01:22

The results from above.

Tories 2309 votes
SNP 1741 votes
Labour 744 votes

I must admit this result as an SNP fan was a bit of a disappointment for me , but on reflection having a candidate outwith the constituancy in a local government election was really our downfall.

Having accepted we took a beating I also have to question did the Conservatives order Labour to switch their vote to them or are Labour now dead in Fife?

Post Edited (Fri 07 Sep 01:25)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Inverkeithing & Dalgety Bay By-Election
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 01:27

I must admit I am finding it difficult to believe that the Tories could “order” Labour to do anything, but maybe things have changed radically since I left Scotland...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 02:02

I'm only coming to that conclusion based on the Tories control over BLIS during the last two referendums and the fact BLIS were defending the seat.

Post Edited (Fri 07 Sep 03:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 06:13

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 07:33

Yawn.....

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 07:38

Dalgety Bay and Aberdour have always been rather conservative. Lots of affluent people snap up properties along the coastal route towards these towns plus Edinburgh commuters now living there.

Inverkeithing voted SNP I believe.

The new Tory councillor once said disabled people were window lickers amongst other nasty stuff so it's all rather depressing really.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:26

“Tories control over BLIS during last two referendums”
Eh? You can back that up I don’t suppose?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:33

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:40

Lot of yawning in Fife..four SNP MPs now reduced to three all hanging on with majorities absolutely hammered. One down to votes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:47

But still have three mps in Fife which is more than any other party. Majorities hammered but still get more votes than anyone else.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:49

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 08:53

Aye, it'll be back up to four in 2022.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 09:57

Quote:

Mario, Fri 7 Sep 08:26

“Tories control over BLIS during last two referendums”
Eh? You can back that up I don’t suppose?

This was a Labour seat and you're team came third why?
Labour vote in Scotland has collapsed since 2014 why

The tories have wrecked the Libdems with their holding hands between 2010 till 2015

The Tories then into bed with you guys in 2014 and do you believe you escaped from them without a similar beating?
I'd suggest once again they've done the same to BliS?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 10:04

To be fair I think it's more to do with Labour and the SNP parachuting in their candidates from outside the area.
The Tory c*** however lives local in Hillend.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 10:04

That a load of codswallop about one referendum, what about the other one..which one, and what is your breathtaking analysis of what occurred.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 10:18

The anti Indy vote in every seat in Fife dwarfs the Sep one, as it does everywhere else. But it’s split.
In the unlikely event of another Indy Ref, no split, Fife and will be a resounding No again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 10:20

SNP had identified over 3000 supporters in the ward.
46+% turnout in Dalgety Bay and 25% in Inverkeithing where SNP support was highest.
The problem was SNP support in Inverkeithing not being bothered to get their backsides out to vote.
Had someone say to me yesterday " we already have 2 SNP councillors in the area, why do we need a third, I'm not voting"
Attitudes like this is why they now have a Tory who will do hee haw for them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 10:22

Quote:

Mario, Fri 7 Sep 10:18

The anti Indy vote in every seat in Fife dwarfs the Sep one, as it does everywhere else. But it’s split.
In the unlikely event of another Indy Ref, no split, Fife and will be a resounding No again.

Take your head out the sand and look at the facts, tories 2300 votes, BliS 600 votes last night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Opelfruitloops  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 12:45

FFS. Another Tory. Sooner the SNP had won. Fortunately it won't make a difference to the councils administration which is an SNP/Labour joint administration but it's worrying the Tories winning. Before Cowdenbeath had 2 Labour 2 SNP. Now its 2 Labour 1 SNP and I Tory. A Tory councillor in Cowdenbeath and Kelty. But why is the SNP vote migrating to the Tories. That is the last thing I thought I'd see. That might not be the case in Invekeithing Dalgety Bay, but it was the case in Cowdenbeath/Kelty. Labour and SNP need to stop fighting because IMO the real problem is the Tories. They are not our freinds. They represent the wealthy and the 1%ers

Be true to who you are
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 14:37

it's because scottish politics is becoming polarised...

in the most part you have brexit/unionists voting tory and independence supporters voting snp

labour / lib dems have basically lost their appeal as people cling to the side that best represents them in the 'big' questions.

for all tories will p!ss all over most of the people who vote for them and labour may be generally rabid anti snp/independence (even though i don't think their support fully agrees with the latter) - labour are just not seen as the party who will stand up for the red/white&blue of the uk
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 14:53

Labour fighting like rats in a sack, look at wee Gerry and Blair today hilarious, once their dyed in the wool supporters move on they'll be a irrelevance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 16:16

Labour aren't fighting. It's the Blairites last stand. They know they'll never get Labour back and so would rather destroy it than see a Corbyn ked government. The establishment give Blair airtime because he's one of theirs. In fact hes now an irrelevance. An annoying irrelevance but an irrelevance all the same.

Be true to who you are
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 18:40

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 7 Sep 20:06

Yes Worst, Opelfruitloops is the person you think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Superally  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 21:15

I think Labour lay down for this election (or maybe not) anything to stop a SNP win, after all blue tory / red tory is there a difference?

2009/10, 2010/11, 2013/14, 2015/16 dafc.net Prediction League Champion

It's a well known medical fact that some men were born two drams below par.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ZiggyB  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 09:43

Got it in one Superally. I was only just talking to one at the weekend and she was a die hard Labour for years. She still thinks the sun shines out of Gordon Browns erk but would much rather have a Tory than SNP baaaad. The old original Labour creators will be spinning in their graves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 18:57

Quote:

ZiggyB, Mon 10 Sep 09:43

Got it in one Superally. I was only just talking to one at the weekend and she was a die hard Labour for years. She still thinks the sun shines out of Gordon Browns erk but would much rather have a Tory than SNP baaaad. The old original Labour creators will be spinning in their graves.

Spot on. When you look back over the past 4 years in particular the SNP vote has held up well at around 40% while Labour and the Tories have swapped places taking votes of each other.
Better together in a nutshell.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 21:47

Who would have thought that 2014 would put the Conservatives into such a position of strength in the UK. They are making an absolute b*llocks of pretty much everything, but have no credible opposition. Thanks Alex.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 08:24

Don't think when you've got 85% of the mps in English constituencies you can use SNPBAAAD as the reason for bad governance.
I think the problem falls on both the red and blue tories who are both in disarray.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 14:52

Although Labour were notionally defenders, they came third last time, so it’s no surprise they came 3rd this time, (or that the Tories won).

In theory, in AV elections there shouldn’t be any need to “lie down”. If your candidate isn’t elected then your votes will go to their next available choice. Plus you want to retain a presence for next time, when there are several seats up for grabs. Possibly there is a fear that your voters won’t transfer “the right way” – e.g. by increasing the turn-out, you end up with more Labour votes ending up in the SNP pile, but I think that is unlikely to form part of the thinking. More likely that enthusiasm to campaign wanes if you are not going to win.

What might be happening is people not really understanding the system and transferring in advance. They think it will be a shoot-out between Tory and SNP and vote for their favoured candidate out of that pairing. Looking at the transfers, you can see that most Labour votes didn’t transfer, and of those that did, the SNP got a slight majority.

Yes, the Tories have made every vote about independence, but arguably the SNP did this first – of what relevance is Scottish Nationalism in local government?

As for the SNP vote holding up – are we forgetting they lost almost 500,000 votes between GE 2015 and GE 2017? Some has certainly gone to the Tories – possibly back whence it came. Some have stopped voting. In contrast there will be Tories who didn’t used to vote who are now since they have a realistic chance of winning.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Sep 14:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 13 Sep 16:40

Quote:

WORST, Fri 7 Sep 18:40

Topic Originator: Opelfruitloops
Date: Fri 7 Sep 16:16

Labour aren't fighting. It's the Blairites last stand. They know they'll never get Labour back and so would rather destroy it than see a Corbyn ked government. The establishment give Blair airtime because he's one of theirs. In fact hes now an irrelevance. An annoying irrelevance but an irrelevance all the same.

------
If you are the person I think you are? Then you'll know what I'm on about when I say "well done to you, you've shown courage that not many would have". Massive respect to you👍👍

If I'm wrong then you'll be scratching your head, in which case please ignore this post.

I think you've rumbled me and thanks . I'm happier now than ive ever been in my entire life.

Be true to who you are
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net