DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 DUP leader attending Fife Orange Parade
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 10:51

Sometimes it can be very embarrassing being from Scotland - can someone not tell them we're now in 2018

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-44328000
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: DUP leader attending Fife Orange Parade
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 11:29

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 13:38

Genuine question - I always see so much resistance to these marches (rightly in my opinion), but never much in the way of actual protest while they're being held. Why?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 13:53

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 14:30

Quote:

DBP, Fri 1 Jun 10:51

Sometimes it can be very embarrassing being from Scotland - can someone not tell them we're now in 2018

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-44328000

Couldn't agree more. What does Cowdenbeath have to do with any part of Ireland, 1690, or any other date from hundreds of years ago?

All marches, of whatever persuasion, should be outlawed, but the politicians don't have the will or the bozz.......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 15:16

Whoa just a minute. If marches or protests are legal then why should they be banned? Should a gay pride march be banned or a a trade union protest?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 15:46

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 15:52

The battle in 1690 was an important victory and if it had been lost we would be living in a different Britain. In fact the whole of Europe would have been at the mercy of a Vengeful alliance of France Spain and GB. The pope knew there was a nightmare ahead if James Stuart aligned with mad Louis. So much so, he paid for the Scandinavian mercenaries who tipped the balance in Williams favour.
The importance of celebrating the religious freedom we enjoy now is lost in the hate filled bigotry that masquerades as a celebration nowadays though.
I doubt if many of the participants really appreciate what its about.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 16:56

i have no idea how my life would be changed if that particular battle (or any other key battle fought in world history) had a different outcome...

but what I do know is that celebrating that particular battle, with the religious element attached to it by having a northern ireland based protestant organisation (who for some reason people in my country still seem to what to keep going over here) marching through the streets in 2018 is nothing more than shameful and having this on the main news is embarrassing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 17:21

Exactly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 17:46

Read up on the history. What was happening in the 16th and 17th centuries regarding religious freedom. It was brutal. I could elaborate but already spent too much time on here today. Its a fascinating discussion but I would never get any work done. Definitely one for the pub and a few light refreshments. Too much typing for me on here though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 18:00

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 18:08

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Fri 1 Jun 15:16

Whoa just a minute. If marches or protests are legal then why should they be banned? Should a gay pride march be banned or a a trade union protest?

Apologies, I meant these pointless, sectarian marches, which just serve to fuel hatred across the divide and there's enough without them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 18:21

Fair enough GG and while I certainly agree with your sentiment I think for the goverment to use legislation against such measures could set a dangerous precedent.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 18:43

Jings Andy. The battle was fought in Ireland but it had little if anything to do with Ireland. James ran away (technically abdicating) When the Protestants invited William over. This was about him trying to take the British throne back. He came through Ireland because that is where he would be supported best and it would give him a launching pad for Scotland - and or Wales for that matter. The Spanish were on their way and Louis would attack England once James was established in Scotland.

Spain and France were already too powerful and controlled much of what we now know as Italy much to the Vatican's displeasure. The Vatican supported the protestant army to prevent mad Louis getting any more powerful.

Had James won the onslaught would have wiped out the protestants in Britain and Europe would have been next. You would think that might appeal to a medieval pope but he was vulnerable to Spanish and French power games.
They wanted a Spanish or French pope for starters.

So like I say the significance of the battle was huge and when you know the history you can understand why protestants would celebrate it.

Just dont confuse catholic and protestant with Christian. They are not the same thing.

Any Christian would forgive and embrace the auld enemy.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Jun 19:24

....just to add I wonder what would have happened to Darwin or any of his predecessors had James ' plan succeeded.

Kindling.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 10:06

Anyway, after the parrot preaching above, back to the point

We have arguably the second most powerful woman in british politics, who has been more or less caught in major fraud worth millions, and lords over the last wee bastion against womans rights, propping up an ultraright establishment party, attending and being the main speaker at one of the most bigotted events in the modern world, and its on our doorstep, braw eh
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jimbooz  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 11:10

Does cowdenbeath really want this in their town?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 11:37

If not then it's up to the people there to do something about it. Which is on point on these marches, nobody seems to want to do anything about them apart from complain on the internet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 16:12

DUP going to sponsor Blue Brazil next year?😎
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 16:22

Council approves the licence along with the Police, the people of Cowdenbeath have no choice whatsoever it getting that revoked. It's been going on years and years, this year will have a lot more media attention though and will end up a lot busier than normal
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 17:16

"TOWK has a point, but if they were banning sectarian songs amongst crowds at football due to the potential trouble they could cause, then wouldn't it be prudent to ban all the marches that deliberately walk past catholic institutions?"

AFAIK the local authority has the power to ban a route past an RC church if such were deemed prudent.

Likwise it can prohibit the bands from playing as they pass by, as is the case here.

What bemuses me about the Orange Order is their avowed dedication to the Protestant faith - yet the vast majority are very rarely near a church year in year out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 18:07

I would be fairly confident that the majority of the mutants that go on these Orange walks would struggle to spell Church never mind Protestant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 18:32

Quote:

calpar, Sat 2 Jun 10:06

We have arguably the second most powerful woman in british politics, who has been more or less caught in major fraud worth millions, and lords over the last wee bastion against womans rights, propping up an ultraright establishment party, attending and being the main speaker at one of the most bigotted events in the modern world, and its on our doorstep, braw eh

Absolutely nailed it, calpar.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Sat 2 Jun 20:58

Wee Jimmies will be busy !

HF05
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 00:21

Unfortunately Calpar doesn't nail it. He describes this goverment as ultra right wing. If we are living under an ultra right wing goverment then what did the peoples of Germany and Italy live under in the 1930s? Or indeed the people of China in present day?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 00:46

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sat 2 Jun 17:16

"TOWK has a point, but if they were banning sectarian songs amongst crowds at football due to the potential trouble they could cause, then wouldn't it be prudent to ban all the marches that deliberately walk past catholic institutions?"

AFAIK the local authority has the power to ban a route past an RC church if such were deemed prudent.

Likwise it can prohibit the bands from playing as they pass by, as is the case here.

What bemuses me about the Orange Order is their avowed dedication to the Protestant faith - yet the vast majority are very rarely near a church year in year out.

Pretty much the latter part of my point.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 00:48

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 3 Jun 00:21

Unfortunately Calpar doesn't nail it. He describes this goverment as ultra right wing. If we are living under an ultra right wing goverment then what did the peoples of Germany and Italy live under in the 1930s? Or indeed the people of China in present day?

.....and the Parrot wisnae preaching.
Maybe he meant perching. Ill give him the benefit of doubt.😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 07:15

You have to be Protestant to join though. Also have to evidence you're not married to a Catholic or hand around Catholics...but they're not a bigoted organisation.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 07:54

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 3 Jun 00:48

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 3 Jun 00:21

.....and the Parrot wisnae preaching.
Maybe he meant perching. Ill give him the benefit of doubt.😉

Well OK, TOWK. Calpar nails it if you remove the word 'ultra ' from his post. Some of the Tory party are slightly to the right of Genghis Khan, all the same. 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 20:22

"Also have to evidence you're not married to a Catholic or hand around Catholics.."

They are taught to wash their hands after going to the toilet or handling Catholics !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onlytakes  
Date:   Sun 3 Jun 20:59

Lol. Phone autocorrect makes me 90% funnier.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 4 Jun 20:05

These marches will be stopped when folk stop voting for councils who will approve them. Complain to your councillors folks. I know two of my councillors in my ward would love to have them stopped as I know them personally.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Jun 20:50

Quote:

Never10yairds, Mon 4 Jun 20:05

These marches will be stopped when folk stop voting for councils who will approve them. Complain to your councillors folks. I know two of my councillors in my ward would love to have them stopped as I know them personally.

So what are your councillors doing about it? They're in a position to do something. So what are they doing?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 4 Jun 21:12

Sadly they are currently overruled by lab/Tory councillors on this issue.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net