Dunfermline Athletic

Clyde 1 v 4 Dunfermline Athletic

Author: Stephen Taylor Date: Wednesday, 5th Sep 2007

A much changed line up for the Pars ease themselves past Clyde into the 3rd round of the Challenge Cup with a solid 4-1 away win.

Mark Burchill finds the net.

Stephen Kenny took the opportunity to change things around for this game with a welcome return to the side for Aaron Labonte and a rare appearance by Bobby Ryan. Sean Murdoch returned in goals with Woods, Wilson, Labonte and Glass his back four. Skipper for the evening, Stevie Crawford, was in centre midfield with Simmons and the wingers Ryan and Morrison either side. Tam McManus and Mark Burchill were the strikers.

Pars support on the night.

The Pars wearing their blue away kit took the game to Clyde in the opening minutes with some good slick passing but only after Murdoch survived a short passback by Labonte. Bobby Ryan blasted over from a good position 18 yards out in 5 minutes.

Burchill had a good chance in 7 minutes when he got on the end of a McManus cross from the left. A good shot by Clyde number 7 was saved by Murdoch who turned the shot round the post for a corner. Cardle hit a good shot off the Pars post as the play had evened up by this stage with both sides looking to get forward.

This was the first good chance th ePars fans had to see Bobby Ryan and the winger was very involved in the early stages putting over a good cross in 18 minutes winning a corner. He was linking well with Woods on the right.

Burchill had a good shot blocked for a corner in 20 minutes. A lucky break for the Pars as the Clyde number 9 beat the offside trap and lobbed the keeper but it was too high. A break by the Pars saw Ryan put McManus away down the right and his low cross was met by Burchill in the 6 yard area and he slotted the ball into the net for the first goal in 25 minutes.

Stephen Simmons hit a good shot in 29 minutes that was deflected for a corner. A long ball from Wilson found Ryan on the right and the winger`s cross was hit by Burchill but saved for a corner. Glass and Morrison linked well on the left and Glass won a corner when his cross was cleared. The Pars had a shout for a penalty in 43 minutes when Burchill was tumbled in the box although it would have been a soft award. Half time 0-1.

Bobby Ryan in action.

No changes for the Pars but it was Clyde who came out with all guns blazing as they equalised in the first minute of the half. The Pars could clear a ball with a shot parried out by Murdoch but MacLennan followed up hitting low into the net.

A long ball by Wilson found Burchill but he missed in 51 minutes. Morrison was doing well on the left and as usual cut inside and hit a good shot well saved by the keeper yet the referee awarded a by kick and not a corner. In 57 minutes Morrison decided to go on the outside for a change and beat three men with his shot across the face of the goal from a tight angle finding the back of the net possibly with a kind deflection off a defender. Owen was on his game at that point and had another good shot saved in 64 minutes.

There was a bizarre moment as the Pars pressed for another goal with defender Imrie hammering a great shot at his own goalkeeper who saved at head height only for the referee to deem it a passback. It may be he was trying to clear but his shot was superbly struck at goal. The free kick was awarded 8 yards but when in fact the keeper had handled (saved ) on his goal line. All the defenders were on the line and the free kick was hit at the crowd of players and cleared.

The Pars made it 3-1 in 74 minutes as they broke down the right with Ryan and he must have realised there was noone in the middle and made a neat cut back into the path of Burchill who slammed the ball home from 16 yards out.
Simmons got a yellow card for a bad foul in 78 minutes then Calum Woods likewise in 84 minutes. Clyde won a corner and although partially cleared a shot hammered back off the inside of Murdoch`s left hand post and came back out into the keepers arms.

In added time a fourth goal as Morrison tapped home a pass from Burchill after McManus played a good cross to Burchill. Final score 1-4.

Related Stories

views: 3,155
Story Archives

To top