DAFC.net
Home 18 June 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 AJ
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 08:06

It was not so long ago our fans were calling for his head, the man has done well to turn it around and now has the backing of the support

He has analysed the team and brought in stronger players where we were a bit suspect last year, ok there were decisions that had to be made which have not been popular (Cardle) but he has brought in real quality

I think we will mount a real substantial challenge this year and if there is a team with a better squad then good luck to them

The team selection next week gives AJ a real headache, does he bring Higgy back in to give creativity (we missed that first half yesterday) Craigan has been many people’s MOM for the past two weeks so does he drop out to favour Williamson

Beadling has still to come in to the midfield, where he will fit in poses a problem

The early signs are that we are strong and when the full squad is available there is real competition for places

The season is going to be a mouthwatering one, I am really optimistic that AJ has assembled a group who can take us to the title

Post Edited (Sun 05 Aug 16:46)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: AJ
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 09:10

It’s been some turnaround, at least with our midfeild this season we won’t see a repeat of last year where we had that mid season collapse.

We definitely have a better team this season.

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 09:16

His recruiting this summer has been the best for years and years. Everyone who has come in is better than the man they replaced. We’re a much stronger team now, and we have that dog and hardness about us that Pars teams rarely have. Was good to see them sticking the boot in yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 09:35

I don't think AJ gets the credit he deserves on this forum. He effectively started the rebuilding in the January transfer window but there are limits to what you can do at that time of year. He has always favoured attacking football but switching to three centre backs has given us a wee bit more solidity. It has also given us a left back who scores headed goals from open play!

Winning a League Cup group which included a Premiership club for the second season in a row was a tremendous achievement which has hardly been acknowledged on here. I'm sure the usual suspects will be on his case as soon as we have a disappointing result though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 09:49

I will put my hands up. I always thought he had a good eye for a player but never used them well. I was always of the view that the team was worse in the 2nd half. That changed yesterday along with a few things. My only complaint is we should have started the game with the set up we had in the 2nd half. Their confidence was low, we should have got in about them but probably showed them too much respect. All in all a wonderful day yesteday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:12

While I’m delighted at the recruitment in the summer, it hasn’t been perfect. We started last season woefully short in centre mid.. he appeared to have learned from that & addresses it in January which turned out season around. This year, we have NO defensive cover other than Lewis Martin. If we have more than one injury/suspension were are again trying to fit square pegs into round holes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:17

Great result yesterday and going by reports as I couldn't make the game, an excellent performance, too.

Like wee eck, I feel AJ has often had a rough ride on this forum, but he's a very shrewd manager and he's built a better team in each season he's been at EEP. I'm convinced this squad can take us up to the Premiership, given a bit of luck with injuries and suspensions.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:17

AJ has to get credit for the performance level so far this season.

As one who has been mildly critical in the past especially wrt late substitutions, standing by Clark through thick and thin and reluctance to make tactical switches, I am glad to see changes for the better.

The squad has strength in depth in all areas now and with the midfield pushing forward more and looking much sharper to support a skilful forward line with Faiss, Hippo and Ryan all able to score and or support goals, could be some great games to look forward to.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:21

I agree about the defensive cover, B-D, but there are still folk on here who think the priority should be another striker! Devine limping off yesterday may mean we have to recruit another defender. Even if Martin recovers from injury he's not going to be match-fit for a while.

Nothing is ever 'perfect' with regard to recruitment unless you have an unlimited budget.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BlackLight  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:24

Last year AJ and the board were on record as saying that they wanted to run a lean squad to keep the finances tight. It was clear quite early on that we lacked strength in depth, especially in midfield. We suffered a lot from that decision in Q2.

(Correctly) the board didn't panic and start spending money to chase improvements. AJ made some good additions in January and we finished the season a stronger run.

The board has now had the benefit of another stable season and is probably better placed to make judgements on the amount of money available to rebuild the team. There seemed to be a collective decision to get most of the squad together earlier than last year (or that's how it seemed to me).

AJ is clearly not perfect, but I think he's done a great job at the same time as the club cuts it's cloth according to real world income and continues to secure our long term future.

This is still a small club without a lot of resources. Part of the the difference between success and failure will be whether everyone is pulling in the same direction, players, management and fans.

No one is above criticism, but I hope the fans can show a bit more unity this season. COYP.

Post Edited (Sun 05 Aug 10:26)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:30

Any reason why Ryan Williamson can't cover in Central defence like his old man used too. Tall, pacey, quick in the tackle. What you need in a back 3. Look at Kyle Walker in the world Cup. Might be a consideration.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:32

Hopefully not like Kyle walker in that England defence, he was the weak link due to not actually being able to defend.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:38

Quote:

WarringtonPar, Sun 5 Aug 10:30

Any reason why Ryan Williamson can't cover in Central defence like his old man used too. Tall, pacey, quick in the tackle. What you need in a back 3. Look at Kyle Walker in the world Cup. Might be a consideration.

A couple of reasons for not doing that are, he is poor in the air and he is still pretty poor defensively

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 10:38

Quote:

WarringtonPar, Sun 5 Aug 10:30

Couple of reasons. He is not a brilliant defender and despite his height is useless in the air.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 11:03

The manager has recruited very well and the early signs are that we have a better squad than last year. Let’s see if he can get the best out of them?
I already said that we could do with more central defenders.
Also, the change to a a back three has also shown that flexibility is required to keep your rivals guessing. I think we have been guilty of being too predicable in the past.
I’m interested to see how he does in games that are not going well.
All in all, there are plenty reasons to be optimistic and given a fair crack with injuries, I don’t see why we shouldn’t mount a title challenge.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 11:24

''I’m interested to see how he does in games that are not going well.''

In the last two games we've come from being a goal behind to win. Yesterday was particularly impressive as it was away from home and we have had a poor record in the League in the past after losing the first goal. Playing Hippolyte more centrally in the second half made a big difference.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 11:31

I'm a big fan of Ryan W, but not sure he is strong enough in the tackle for a central defender.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 11:49

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:07

Beadling played central defence most of his time at Sunderland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allanwilson10  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:23

Hope Devine's injury isn't too bad - but if we needed to we can go back to a back 4 quite easily.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:41

I wasn’t there yesterday, wee eck, but that’s encouraging

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:51

I don't know what budget AJ has but he can only work with the restraints of budgets and ability to get players that he wants. I'm assuming some players end up at other clubs for more money. you can't blame players for wanting the extra cash

Form Table: https://DAFC.co.uk/league
https://2mx.co.uk
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 12:52

Beadling can play centre back, Williamson would be a bombscare at centre back.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 14:31

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Sun 05 Aug 10:12

While I’m delighted at the recruitment in the summer, it hasn’t been perfect. We started last season woefully short in centre mid.. he appeared to have learned from that & addresses it in January which turned out season around. This year, we have NO defensive cover other than Lewis Martin. If we have more than one injury/suspension were are again trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

Stuart Morrison more than able to play if required
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 15:34

You have to give everyone credit for the stides we have made given the situation a few years ago. Its a massive turn around in the clubs fortunes and the contribution by everyome involved with the club should never be underestimated.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 15:39

Beadling can play centre back as can Craigan and with Lewis Martin as back up we are well covered in that area, we can always revert to a back four

Post Edited (Sun 05 Aug 16:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 15:39

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Sun 05 Aug 10:12

Stuart Morrison more than able to play if required

Any ideas where he was yesterday ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 15:59

^^^ suspended but think he has a knock as well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sun 5 Aug 16:19

ty
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cjp1981  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 15:36

He's improved us year on year, you can't ask for more than that. Like alot of folk on here i was starting to doubt if he was the right man during our 'wobble' last season. But he reacted well in the transfer window and has gone from strength to strength with how he's improved the squad. Aside from Cardle, every other player who left that i wanted to stay left of their own accord ( Morris, McManus and Aird) so nothing to do with Johnston.

I said when we came up i'd be more that happy with a few years to consolidate then have a real good go in the third season and it looks like that's how its going to pan out and a lot of that is down to Johnston. Credit where credit is due.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 16:32

But according to our “in the know” experts nobody wants to play for AJ....nobody will ever sign for us...yawn
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 17:58

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Mon 6 Aug 16:32

But according to our “in the know” experts nobody wants to play for AJ....nobody will ever sign for us...yawn

But as we all know, or should know, everybody wants to play for a successful manager in a winning team.

I bet Clark and Aird are feeling pissy sick right now....... 😊

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 19:41

The only reason that they are playing for United is money, if United don't get promoted they will still be better off.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 19:45

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 20:06

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Mon 6 Aug 19:41

The only reason that they are playing for United is money, if United don't get promoted they will still be better off.

Most players just play for money, the same reason most people go to work

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 20:07

What I like is that goals are coming from all over the park that is always better than relying on one or two players. We are demonstrating we are a better more balanced side.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 6 Aug 22:43

There's no question we have our strongest squad in many years with strength in depth.
It's only my wish but I hope AJ varies lineups and tactics even when we are winning.
It's something he doesn't like doing but this season is incredibly tight with at least 8 teams capable of a challenge on paper at least.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 5 Jan 23:30

I was searching for posts from when AJ was appointed for two years, to see how many people were convinced at the time it was a serious error by the Board. No doubt there were some, but I'm not convinced that most fans felt that way. Unfortunately the search engine on the forum only seems to go back six months, so I couldn't find any relevant threads.

However I did find this thread from August, with several posters reckoning that AJ had done a great job in his recruitment, that our team was stronger in depth than last season, and that they looked forward to success this season. There were some reservations about the manager's tactics, but nothing to suggest the Board had made a huge mistake.

My own guess is that the apparent stability offered by a manager with a two-year contract made it easier to sign players on two-year contracts - one of the criticisms levelled by some fans when players were leaving after being on shorter contracts.

I have no idea what performance targets AJ has in his contract, but I would be surprised if being 7th in a 10-team league would meet the targets! However, any measurement might only be at the end of the season, and ridiculous as it might feel tonight, we are still not out of the race for the play-offs.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 5 Jan 23:35

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 5 Aug 09:10

It’s been some turnaround, at least with our midfeild this season we won’t see a repeat of last year where we had that mid season collapse.

We definitely have a better team this season.

Ooyah Gem #1 from this thread

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Jan 23:46

"
AJ has to get credit for the performance level so far this season.

As one who has been mildly critical in the past especially wrt late substitutions, standing by Clark through thick and thin and reluctance to make tactical switches, I am glad to see changes for the better.

The squad has strength in depth in all areas now and with the midfield pushing forward more and looking much sharper to support a skilful forward line with Faiss, Hippo and Ryan all able to score and or support goals, could be some great games to look forward to. "

I posted this on 5th August.

Little did I know how rapidly things were to change and how wrong my prediction for great games to come would be.
Faiss, Hippo and Ryan haven't got to double figures between them.

Use of substitutes and tactical ability to change a game, are still big deficiencies in the management team.
Meanwhile the midfield blow hot and cold from game to game.
Entertainment value is low and consistency is non existent even within a game.

I wasn't the only one hopeful of good things to come, but we have all been caught out by events since early season and I admit to feeling a bit foolish now.

Still slightly hopeful of top four, but fully understand the reaction of a lot of the fans who feel a change of management is required for us to kick on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 5 Jan 23:55

No one should feel foolish mach1. We were all suckered

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 00:11

I suppose so.

Believe it or not I'm usually optimistic about things, but 5 months is a lot of wearing down to handle and keep the cup half full.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 00:15

My dad got up and walked out in disgust when the equaliser went in. Takes a lot to p1ss him off let me tell you.

I've had enough. I'll still go to games but it's a hard shift now

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 00:18

AJ, like the rest of us at the game today would have seen how our players took their eye off the ball from the word go in the second half & that our overwhelming command of the first half (& the resultant 2 nil lead) went downhill at a rate of knots

The rest of us had to watch from the sidelines as the downward spiral took hold, however AJ had the ability & authority to try & change things by making substitutions, something he chose largely not to do

Players play & managers manage, neither of which I saw little off in the second half today

Very disappointed in our teams performance this year but still think this is our best playing squad assembled since we dodged a bullet in 2013 however somethings gotta make these players play before it’s all to late

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 06:36

Our central midfeild is just about fine this season, can you imagine where we would be if we kept Nat and sheils?

The problem is we thought connolly, Longridge, Devine and hippo were decent players.

That coupled with sticking by players who generally struggled to hit the standard required most weeks the previous has left us where we are.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GEW35  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 09:20

How things might have been eh?! Football fans should always have hope but I’m afraid any remaining hope I had has long since gone. It was patently obvious at the start of the second half yesterday that Alloa had regrouped and their inevitable first goal wasn’t long in coming, my pal in a different stand texted saying “this has 2-2 written all over it” - I admired his optimism as I was sure we’d end up getting beat!
It’s been a long time since I’ve heard so many folk roaring & shouting amongst themselves walking back along the road after the equaliser went in. It’s a nasty business sacking anyone but I honestly feel AJ & Co have to be relieved of their duties ASAP-this malaise cannot go on any longer. I’m sure the manager is well aware he’s on the way out, he probably won’t resign for monetary reasons (and I can understand that) so the board simply must act and act now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 12:47

Being that I was the original poster I should really give an opinion on the progress since then

We were all very excited at the start of the season with things going very well having done well in the cup games and in the opening day win against Dundee United

My confidence that AJ was the man for the job has deminished since then and I’m afraid it’s time for a change.

I think we do have enough quality to be much higher in the league however AJ does not appear to be able to motivate or be tactically astute enough to manage games in our favour, yesterday’s game was the prime example of needing to run the clock down, he stated that he did not see equaliser coming, well every other person in the stadium did

Perhaps the fact that we have not yet brought any players in during the window suggests that there may be change coming with the new guy being able to
bring in some players of his own choosing

The time has definitely come for the BOD to analyse the situation and make the right move before it is too late

Thanks AJ but your work at EEP is done and it’s time to realise that you should move on

Post Edited (Sun 06 Jan 12:49)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 13:13

Tip to any team in league 1. If you want promotion and you have signifantly more money than the other teams in your league go for AJ. You will get promotion but you will have to release him quickly as he will struggle in the Championship.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 15:01

Jim Jefferies didn't manage to get us out of League 1 and we haven't 'struggled' in the Championship under AJ. Some folk have short memories.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 15:47

We're bloody well struggling now then Eck !

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 16:21

By that definition more than half the league is struggling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 16:23

Who'd have thought back in August we'd win none out of 3 home games against Alloa
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 16:33

Alloa have 20 points. They've won 2 against us. It's not a 'Dunfermline' thing.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 17:05

I dont think were are struggling in the league. Its more the expectation of fans this season over last. We are still only half way. I would agree that the players brought in have under performed and we have lost easy goals. Some of our better players decided to move on last year. Thats their choice but it makes it harder for the manager to build a team and improve. There were alot of new plsyers. It takes time to get them working together. Perhaps some of the players cannot play that well together. If AJ can bring in one or two players to bolster us defensively, I think it will make a big difference. Lets hope he can do that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 17:14

I don't think we are struggling in the league. Two wins out of ten at home would suggest otherwise. Hardly fortress East End this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 17:39

Compared to last we are struggling.

Last season we had 9 defeats. We have 8 already.

Last season we had 16 wins we only have 6 at this stage. With 16 games left I highly doubt we’ll win 10 of them and therefore we will have regressed which would be an evident sign of struggle

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 19:57

I think all of that needs to be reviewed at the end of the season. I personally do not see the benefit in changing the mansger at this stage. We lost good players at the end of last season. We pretty much have a new team this year. The chairman is quite rightly looking longer term. I appreciate the frustrations with poor results but the issues are more complex than simply changing the manager.The players needto take some responsibiluty. At the end of the day its a sport; a game. Ive supported the club over many many years through highs and lows and will continue to do so. We may never win top titles and trophies in my lifetime but that is not why I go. I go for entertainment, win or lose.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 20:20

Unfortunately AJ seems to have lost the plot. He has become a liability and needs to go.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 20:22

I think we could be in big trouble if we don’t make a change now
I wonder what the subs were thinking during the game and especially after?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 6 Jan 20:32

East End is not offering much entertainment this season. Certainly not in football terms.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 20:17

Indiapar, I was until very recently thinking there was little point in changing manager until end of the season. I felt that it would likely cost the club more money to get rid of AJ now and that there is no one currently available that I fancy for the job. Both these points remain true.

I think however there is now another factor to take into consideration, what if AJ gets us relegated?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 08:32

We're closer to the playoff places than we are the relegation playoffs and moving away from the relegation playoffs. Relegation chat is a bit ott for me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 08:38

Agree.

Mid table finish looks likely with possible third or fourth if we can find the heart and inspration from somewhere to up our game a bit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 08:45

I think 7th is the minimum we'll finish but as you say hopefully we'll find a bit of inspiration from somewhere to kick on a bit and hit the playoffs and then anything can happen.

It's safe to say I'm not putting any money on any of our games as you never know what you're going to get at the moment!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 09:07

That's it.

All bets are off.

Over enthusiasm got the better of me back in August.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 09:21

I liked the optimism to be honest!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 09:53

Ill remain optimistic about 4th place as long as it is mathematically possible. I'm not blind to the dangers of a strengthened Partick and Falkirk but not sufficiently worried about them yet.
6th or 7th looks likely unless we start taking 3 points from ICT Morton and QoS.
Regardless of whether we support AJ or not, I don't think he will survive finishing below 4th.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 10:07

Yeah I'm not actually that supportive of AJ per se (in that i could say with certainty he can achieve XYZ target) but he's not hit the point where I think he should be sacked.

I also think he would struggle to see out his contract if he finishes lower than 4th though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:10

Is finishing 4th good enough for you?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:13

All is far from lost in the League, and our first-half performance on Saturday gave me hope - even if the second-half was dreadful!

Alloa are now on the longest unbeaten run of any team in the division, and the team with the second-longest unbeaten run is actually Dunfermline. Over the last six games we have either kept pace with, or made up ground on, every team in the division except Ross County - keep that unbeaten run going on Saturday and it should give the team enough confidence to see off Raith.

However, a bad defeat on Saturday and going out of the Cup to the Rovers would make AJ's coatpeg very shoogly, I think - not necessarily because the Board want to make a change but because the clamour from the stands would increase significantly.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:13

If we go up in the playoffs absolutely. If we don't then we'll need to judge it on the context of the season as a whole.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:17

The issue for me is whilst I don’t want AJ any more, I can’t see anyone who is currently available that I’d like to replace him. In the summer (when we should have parted ways with AJ) there were plenty capable managers available. They are all in jobs now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:25

To be honest that's a big part of the reason I don't want AJ sacked just now either. If for some bizarre reason a top drawer manager became available and was in budget and interested in joining us, I'd actually want the board to be ruthless and take the chance on changing managers but that scenario is highly unlikely.

Out off all the rest banded about on here the only name I've seen I'd be interested in was Billy Davies that was Raymies shout on a post and I'm not sure if he'd realistically consider us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:27

trip over the line into a playoff. Somehow sneak promotion and Prem with AJ where based on how things are now and a step up in opposition we lose 6 games out of 8. No thanks.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:31

Quote:

1981par, Tue 8 Jan 12:10

Is finishing 4th good enough for you?

Ultimately no. Presently yes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:36

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Tue 8 Jan 12:27

trip over the line into a playoff. Somehow sneak promotion and Prem with AJ where based on how things are now and a step up in opposition we lose 6 games out of 8. No thanks.

Even if we go up as Champions under a new manager that's a potentially realistic scenario as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 12:53

"Even if we go up as Champions under a new manager that's a potentially realistic scenario as well."

IF we had a new manager and he got this squad playing to its potential then that is not a concern let alone a new manager having a summer period to rebuild where he believed it was needed.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 13:06

Jim McIntyre had a squad that played above it's potential and struggled badly after promotion. I never posted at the time as I thought it was monumentally disrespectful to a team that had gone up but we were one of the worst sides to have gone up for years so it was testament to the manager (I know he's not popular and I understand why) and the players that they surpassed their individual abilities and went up. It was deserved on sheer hard graft. We were then found to be lacking quality in almost every department. I think only Cardle and Kirk (another .Net villain) looked like top flight players.

That squad was probably better than this one. I don't know how "playing to our potential" means we're a stick on for not struggling in the top flight?

The entire time I've watched the Pars we've gone up and down bar the years we were racking up huge debts. As soon as the money stopped the decline started again. Even Bert Paton whose my favourite manager ultimately resigned his job because we struggled in the top league.

Edited: changed lost to resigned as it made it look like I was saying he was sacked.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Jan 13:17)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 13:31

you are not saying anything I didnt say on Sat. speak to most fans and best times were:

80s- rising through leagues with Leish.
90s- Bert and Dick pushing to the premier

Other than the JC era when we were throwing money we didnt have at sustaining premier league status we have been a yo-yo club. Not even as regular as yo yo.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 16:18

A yo-yo club between the Prem and the Championship is what we were. We are in danger of becoming a yo-yo team between the championship and League 1.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 16:58

No we aren't.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:00

Yes we are. I can’t see where our next win is coming from. The next round of fixtures are extremely difficult. Clueless manager in the dug out, brutal players, toxic atmosphere at the games and a statement daft chairman. Aye it looks real promising.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Jan 17:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:22

Aye its dire. Fank Thuck we've got such upbeat fans though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:26

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 08 Jan 17:22

Aye its dire. Fank Thuck we've got such upbeat fans though.

It’s all about standards. Some fans are just willing to accept utter dung week in, week out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:30

No-ones accepting anything. Stop putting words in peoples' mouths. You speak for no-one but yourself. There are plenty of people who aren't happy with how things are or have been but sacking a manager doesn't always result in instant success. It's got to a stage now where change is needed but there are some on here who were shouting for it after a few weeks back in the championship. It's that kind of over-reaction that really gets on my t1ts.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:31

No they aren't. The just aren't as dramatic as others.
Too much Eastenders I say.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:52

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 08 Jan 17:30

No-ones accepting anything. Stop putting words in peoples' mouths. You speak for no-one but yourself. There are plenty of people who aren't happy with how things are or have been but sacking a manager doesn't always result in instant success. It's got to a stage now where change is needed but there are some on here who were shouting for it after a few weeks back in the championship. It's that kind of over-reaction that really gets on my t1ts.

Everything seems to get on your t*ts. If I got as wound up as you do with the opinion of fellow supporters on a football forum I’d probably not bother using the forum.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Jan 17:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 17:58

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Tue 8 Jan 17:52

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 08 Jan 17:30

Everything seems to get on your t*ts. If I got as wound up as you do with the opinion of fellow supporters on a football forum I’d probably not bother using the forum.

What an utterly terrible predictable response.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 18:02

Thanks for proving my point.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 18:08

I'd love to see all the examples of people "accepting" the dugs muck?
Having sensible discourse about the financial implications of changing manager and the effect of doing so hardly constitutes accepting the bad results.
It is indicative of being able to hold one's **** together instead of wetting the bed though.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 18:23

Quote:

Rastapari, Tue 8 Jan 18:08

Having sensible discourse about the financial implications of changing manager and the effect of doing so hardly constitutes accepting the bad results.
It is indicative of being able to hold one's **** together instead of wetting the bed though.

You're wasting your time, mate. There's none so deaf.......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 18:56

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Tue 8 Jan 18:02

In your wee world very probably.

On planet earth, not so much.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 18:58

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 8 Jan 18:23

Quote:

I'm actually quite saddened it's all got so poisonous fella, no one likes bad results but there seems to be a lack of appreciation of just what a pickle the club was in.
Maybe I'm just softening.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 19:10

There is one way we might get rid of him on the cheap and that to continually shout abuse at him the board and his players. I however would not do that, I remember Jocky Scott getting serious abuse during and after his final game, I was not in favour of it then or when people were shouting abuse at Stephen Kenny. I hope that something can be done before we are deep in relegation trouble. I just want a manager that can assemble a team that can play exciting football.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 19:12

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 08 Jan 18:56

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Tue 8 Jan 18:02

In your wee world very probably.

On planet earth, not so much.

I was just trying to give you a bit of advice pal. Nothing more , nothing less.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 19:18

"Maybe I'm just softening"

I'm just going to leave that there so that other people, aside from me, can guffaw uproariously at the quite obviously ludicrous nature of that comment..

Chill for a minute "Melv", and remember the wise words of the great George Benson...

Never Give Up On A Good Thing...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 19:36

Quote:

Rastapari, Tue 8 Jan 18:58

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 8 Jan 18:23

Quote:

I'm actually quite saddened it's all got so poisonous fella, no one likes bad results but there seems to be a lack of appreciation of just what a pickle the club was in.
Maybe I'm just softening.

No, you're just another "happy clapper", which translates as "simpleton". ☹

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 20:46

I'm so glad I'm a simpleton. Imagine going through an entire lifetime being a miserable genius.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 21:21

but there seems to be a lack of appreciation of just what a pickle the club was in."

Where? I've not seen a post in years where someone has claimed we weren't on the brink.

Has absolutely nothing to do with AJ right enough.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 21:49

Quote:

Grant, Tue 8 Jan 21:21

but there seems to be a lack of appreciation of just what a pickle the club was in."

Where? I've not seen a post in years where someone has claimed we weren't on the brink.

Has absolutely nothing to do with AJ right enough.

Has everything to do with the time it takes for the club to fully recover though.
AJ is too cowardly for us to progress, I've stated that, but hiring and firing with the best of intent is not the option it is for many other clubs....and there's that two year deal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 21:49

Quote:

average white par, Tue 8 Jan 19:18

"Maybe I'm just softening"

I'm just going to leave that there so that other people, aside from me, can guffaw uproariously at the quite obviously ludicrous nature of that comment..

Chill for a minute "Melv", and remember the wise words of the great George Benson...

Never Give Up On A Good Thing...

Shut it😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 22:30

Quote:

Rastapari, Tue 8 Jan 21:49

Quote:

Grant, Tue 8 Jan 21:21

Has absolutely no

thing to do with AJ right enough.

Has everything to do with the time it takes for the club to fully recover though.
AJ is too cowardly for us to progress, I've stated that, but hiring and firing with the best of intent is not the option it is for many other clubs....and there's that two year deal.

Is it a cast iron 2 year deal?🤔
Anyhow, simple maths says it's going to cost more in lost revenue than to keep him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 22:40

So basically the board has made a huge mistake handing out a two year deal, and now they just have to stick to it, no matter how bad it gets
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 22:48

Genuine question - if we change manager, do you think the new man should get a 2-year contract?

If it is for less than 2 years, should he be allowed to sign players for longer than his own contract?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 22:51

Quote:

Stanza, Tue 8 Jan 22:48

Genuine question - if we change manager, do you think the new man should get a 2-year contract?

If it is for less than 2 years, should he be allowed to sign players for longer than his own contract?

I personally don't have a problem with 2 year contracts. I did/ do have a problem with giving one to AJ. We all know his weaknesses
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 23:01

Quote:

BigJPar, Tue 08 Jan 22:51

Quote:

Stanza, Tue 8 Jan 22:48

I personally don't have a problem with 2 year contracts. I did/ do have a problem with giving one to AJ. We all know his weaknesses

He has plenty of weaknesses, the main one being that his hands are superglued to the inside of his pockets.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 23:05

I would like to ask a very simple question to all those who want folk sacked.
Have you ever been sacked. Not redundancy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 23:08

Quote:

Blackandwhiteblood, Tue 8 Jan 23:05

I would like to ask a very simple question to all those who want folk sacked.
Have you ever been sacked. Not redundancy.

I think anyone who gets into football management knows the cost of failure.
They get most of their contract paid as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 23:23

Managers are paid extremely well. Footballers are paid fantastically well even at our level compared to the average man on the street. It comes with the territory.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end