DAFC.net
Home 20 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Championship v Premiership
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 15:48

Last Saturday's excellent crowd and improved atmosphere at EEP, demonstrated just what we're missing out on, by playing in the 2nd tier.

There are some Pars fans who try to put a brave face on things by saying that it's better to be a big fish in a small pool, winning more games than we lose, than to be playing in the Premiership, getting scudded by Celtic, Rangers and Co. most weeks.

I can't say I really believe that. Once you're in the Premiership, you will have a much bigger budget, thanks to improved crowds and sponsorship. You can therefore afford to bring in better players to make you competitive at the higher level. Realistically, the Pars will never be able to compete with the big city clubs, but they should be in that group which Bob Crampsey referred to as the "middle order clubs", such as Kilmarnock, St Mirren and Motherwell, occasionally qualifying for the UEFA Cup and reaching the odd national cup final, as St Johnstone, ICT, Ross County and even Falkirk have all done in recent years.....

So let's not have any more claims that the Championship is our true level - that's only true if you lack ambition.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Championship v Premiership
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 15:57

Agree with that GG, even the atmosphere in the shed at Utd in the play off will be long remembered, these big games are special.
The standard counter will be "we're not ready for the top tier". However not many teams working on a championship budget will be ready, it's only when you know you are in the top tier you can then attract the higher quality by paying accordingly.
Of course teams can gamble and operate on a budget higher than the Championship but Utd are showing that it is just that, a gamble.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 16:06

Of course, it would be foolish for any real supporter to say that they wouldn't want a chance in the top league. Those of us who are "slightly longer in the tooth" know well what a thrill it has been to compete, as Pars fans, with the best. But I do think that a team has to demonstrate their maturity to survive. Last season I feel that St. Mirren was an example of a team that was ready to go up. On the other hand Livingston defied all expectations .... and I honestly believe that they are going to get horsed. And that is a truly dispiriting experience as we also know!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 16:24

While of course I want us to go up, I do remember how dispiriting the last few seasons were in the SPL with really low home crowds and gubbings galore but yes, we should always strive to be there and remain there as, as was said, more chances of cup finals as was proven even in those lean years, we reached two.

I also think we could hold our own amongst the likes of Saints, Motherwell, Hamilton and the like plus take the odd scalp of city teams.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 16:24

Reality is we are a yo-to team probably between 8th and 16th in Scotland. Hence why over the last 30 years that probably sums up our average finish!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 22 Aug 17:32

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 22 Aug 16:24

While of course I want us to go up, I do remember how dispiriting the last few seasons were in the SPL with really low home crowds and gubbings galore but yes, we should always strive to be there and remain there as, as was said, more chances of cup finals as was proven even in those lean years, we reached .

Remember though, AAPS, that last time we were in the top flight we were living on borrowed time - our club was in serious debt, thanks to the previous regime's haphazard management, or rather mismanagement, of its financial resources. Jim McIntyre was given no money to improve a squad which was a tad fortunate to win promotion in the first place.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 23 Aug 14:22

I know that most won't want this but by increasing the Premier to either 16 or 18 clubs would make it more interesting.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 23 Aug 14:53

Heard a piece on the radio yesterday about how much money is being thrown around in the English Championship these days as teams gamble (financially) to get up to the Premiership for the big rewards. Even if they come straight back down again its deemed to be worth it financially with mega bucks parachute payments for any side that goes down.
They also stated that because these 2nd tier clubs were attracting better players than they previously could.... The quality of the football has risen sharply... With one football journalist even claiming that the Championships this season would be a lot more exciting and less predictable than the Premierships on both sides of the border.
Certainly the championship title up here could go to any number of clubs this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Thu 23 Aug 15:31

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 23 Aug 16:27

Imagine if we could improve our season ticket holders in Premiership to 4000 and playing against teams like Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs every weekend, EEP would be jumping.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 23 Aug 18:19

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Thu 23 Aug 14:22

I know that most won't want this but by increasing the Premier to either 16 or 18 clubs would make it more interesting.

As a Pars fan, I've always fancied a 16 or 18 team league, because it would give my team a better chance of playing and remaining in the top flight. An added bonus would be the end of playing each rival league club 4 times a season, but if I'm being completely honest, such a set up would not be as exciting as what we have now. Lots of meaningful games, promotion and relegation play offs and no meaningless end-of-season matches.

Post Edited (Thu 23 Aug 18:19)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: