DAFC.net
Home 19 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 New Kit/Signing?
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:28

Looks like something is likely to be announced on the clubs twitter.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: New Kit/Signing?
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:30

Looks like a new kit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:33

It's a new kit for our European adventure to Boreham Wood

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:35

Quote:

DJAS, Fri 24 Aug 17:33

It's a new kit for our European adventure to Boreham Wood

Yes, you can see a bit of the lettering. Looks like Boreham and September.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:40

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:45

Can see the HER, maybe something to do with the heritage trust. Or could be Hertfordshire.. hopefully the first one. Releasing a kit for a challenge cup game would be a bit embarrassing
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:46

ideally it would be both but think it will just be a new kit and used tomorrow
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:47

I'm sure one of the heritage Trust guys will explain what it's about

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:49

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:50

Strip looks really nice to be fair.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 17:55

Intrigue!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Underpars  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:03

If you look at their white and black home kit neither of our strips would be allowable. If that's a red strip for the occasion I'll need one for the trip!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:03

Quote:

Sierra Nevada, Fri 24 Aug 17:49

A new kit for Boreham Wood.... haha. That would be a hilariously diddy thing to do. No chance our club would do that. The guy above was joking Bamba.

I certainly was

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:05

On the clubs website now
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:05

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:21

PARS TO WEAR COMMEMORATIVE SHIRT
Friday, 24th Aug 2018
A specially commissioned shirt will be worn on Saturday at Somerset Park against Ayr United.

DAFC has commissioned a special shirt this season in addition to the two shirts which were released at the Open Day. This shirt really is special as it commemorates in tangible form the bravery of seven young Scotsmen in September 1918 at a little village in France called Moeuvres. In particular, this section of soldiers of the Highland Light Infantry was led by David Hunter of Kingseat, who won the Victoria Cross.

The specially commissioned shirt will be worn by our first team on Saturday at Somerset Park against Ayr United.

DAFC Chairman, Ross McArthur stated “as Chairman of the football club, I am particularly proud to say that David Hunter was a life-long supporter of Dunfermline Athletic. He survived the fighting in 1918 and stood for many years with his sons and grandsons on the terracing of East End Park. He died in Dunfermline in 1965. David was the grandfather, of my fellow director, Ian Hunter.

The shirt is Poppy Red, and carries the legend around the badge "The Seven Heroes of Moeuvres, September 1918". The exploits of the seven men caused the press to refer to them as “The Seven Heroes of Moeuvres". Indeed there was a specially written pipe tune with this title.

On the week-end of September 15 and 16, there will a commemoration of David Hunter and his comrades. The team will again wear these shirts in the match with Alloa Athletic. We will be joined by the Mayor and representatives of Moeuvres, who will have come to Scotland specially. The match programme will carry a special four page pull-out section on "The Seven Heroes". At the end of the season there will be an internet auction of the shirts, which will be signed by the players who wear them. The beneficiaries will be PoppyScotland and the Dunfermline Athletic Heritage Trust. I hope that you will be generous with your bids, as this will be the only way to obtain a shirt. One shirt will return to France with the Mayor of Moeuvres, and a second will be gifted to the regimental museum of the Royal Highland Fusiliers.

On Sunday September 16, there will be a public ceremony on Halbeath Road outside East End Park. This will start at 11.30 and will last about an hour. The Band of the Royal Regiment of Scotland will be present. The government gives a Victoria Cross paving stone to the family and town of every winner of a Victoria Cross during the First World War. The Hunter family have long been connected with Dunfermline Athletic, and have asked that David Hunter`s stone should be placed outside East End Park on land owned by the club. It will be placed on a small plinth which will contain a time capsule, and which has two pre-1918 bricks from Moeuvres placed in the shape of a cross. An information board will then be placed on the stadium wall, immediately behind the stone, and adjacent to the existing granite memorial bench. We are grateful to the Heritage Trust, the Purvis Group, Co-operative Funeralcare, and most particularly the Hunter family for making this possible. All supporters of Dunfermline Athletic will be most welcome.
Finally, there is a private `David Hunter VC Memorial Lunch` in the Purvis Suite after the ceremony. This will raise funds for PoppyScotland and The Heritage Trust, and is fully subscribed already. I am delighted to note that many Hunter family members will have travelled considerable distances to attend. They are hugely welcome”.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:46

Very nice shirt an comerates true hero's of Dunfermline.
Excellent by the club and I'm sure they will go for a fortune. It's a pity they are not going on public sale as I'm sure they would be a great seller.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 18:55

Would make sense to sell them, with all funds (after costs) going to the poppy appeal. they’d sell hundreds id imagine. An online auction with a max of say 25 shirts, no chance of getting one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 19:31

Our club and those currently in charge of it really do make me proud.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC23  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 19:56

Real shame these are not being sold by the club. Love the shirt and think they would have sold loads.
Would surely make more for the charity by doing this than auctioning off the match worn shirts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:13

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Other than one of these chaps being a fan, there is no real connection to The Pars here. I suppose having one of the directors as a descendent gets this sort of thing over the line.
My great grandfather had his head shot off his shoulders as a 18 year old in World War One. He supported The Pars- where is his commemorative shirt?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:19

Was your great grandfather awarded the VC?

Post Edited (Fri 24 Aug 20:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Underpars  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:24

That's a downer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:31

Quote:

JamesAndrew74, Fri 24 Aug 20:19

No, never got the chance, just got killed, buried in a field in Belgium and left to push up daisies, while his 18 year old bride got left to bring up a kid on her own. If you ask me this has nothing at all to do with DAFC
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:33

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 24 Aug 20:31

Quote:

No, never got the chance, just got killed, buried in a field in Belgium and left to push up daisies, while his 18 year old bride got left to bring up a kid on her own. If you ask me this has nothing at all to do with DAFC

Thankfully you don’t make the call. I’m sure it’s not just because a shareholder and director is involved

Well done to DAFC, honouring one of the only few to ever have been awarded the VC.

For reference my great grandfather was in the same war, made it home but apparently never the same. Also a Pars fan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:34

Quote:

Quote:

Good job nobody is asking you. It’s a great thing that our club takes the time and effort to do things like this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 20:35

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Fri 24 Aug 20:34

Quote:

Quote:

Good job nobody is asking you. It’s a great thing that our club takes the time and effort to do things like this.

Well said Bamba Daft.

It would seem this is a real good news story and another positive for our club
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 21:03

Sad to see some that have a differing opinion (which of course you are entitled to have)

Can I point out that over the course of the past few years we as a club have contributed around £12,000 to Poppy Scotland who do work to support injured veterans from past and ongoing conflicts

This is a culmination of the past four years of work done by the club to commentate all of its fans who have served their country in wars across the globe, to make David Hunter VC a figurehead for the initiative is a fitting thing to do

Post Edited (Fri 24 Aug 21:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: truesupporter  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 21:25

Well said.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 22:20

Perhaps the club could produce a tee shirt of the same design for supporters to purchase. The club i follow Bradford pa did a similar thing last year to commemorate Donald Bell who was awarded a postumus VC and was a forer player. A great gesture by both clubs
Ian
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 22:23

I like that idea Ian -- we will look into it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 22:24

Quote:

Quote:

Kind of share your sentiments but it does have something to do with DAFC if you read the article.

Not a fan of militarism and football clubs myself.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 22:37

I can understand RSP's being upset that his grandfather is not being publicly remembered when he was one of the hundreds of thousands of men (and some women) who lie under the earth in a foreign land. Through the Heritage Trust it's been my privilege to pay three visits in recent years to some of the cemeteries of the Western Front, and the sense of loss and unfulfilled lives is intense. It resonates still in the lives of many families.

I have no doubt there were thousands of acts of individual bravery that were not even recorded, and sadly it is just not possible to commemorate everyone - as 1970par suggests, David Hunter VC represents all those who served, whether they survived or died.

In fact Sgt Hunter was considered so typical of a Scottish soldier that he was chosen in 1920 to sit for the bust by Sir Jacob Epstein that was commissioned by the War Memorials Committee.

So although there will be no public commemoration next month of the hundreds of thousands who died, we can all reasonably consider the David Hunter service as a memorial to all of them.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive

Post Edited (Fri 24 Aug 22:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 22:59

I think the kit on show is really something special. Like the commemoration and agree with it fully. What a kit!

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 23:23

I think it’s wonderful and I personally would like to meet the Mayor of Moeuvres.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Fri 24 Aug 23:44

Well he is a charming man Buffy.

We met him and almost all the villagers of Moeuvres in 2016. They put on drinks and sandwiches for the Dunfermline bus in a marquee on the village green. Great folk. Their village was almost completely destroyed in the fighting, but all the residents were removed by the Germans when building the Hindenburg Line in 1917. Most people returned after the war, and the village was re-built between the wars on pretty much the same lines.

Should be easy to spot -- as I am certain that he will wear his Tricoleur sash.

You might need to speak in French though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Aug 00:08

Ooh Donald, J’taime
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 25 Aug 00:20

Buffy: In this pic of the official party, taken in 2016 at the cemetery in Moeuvres, M le Maire is in this pic, between Donald and Ian. His wife has your DAFC poppy painting.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sat 25 Aug 07:05

There are many of us here today because our Families moved here for the opening of Rosyth Dockyard in 1916 with our ancestors then living in Tin Town Rosyth.

The Great War is History.There is no one left from the conflict.Hence events like this become ever more important.

It worries me that some of the young generation knows little even of the Second World War,I presume because of the way History is now taught in High School.

In remembering a local hero, and wearing this wonderful commemorative shirt,we pay tribute to our own Families 1914-1918.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 25 Aug 13:31

Looking forward to seeing this iconic shirt today for the first time, it will be sported by the club on a few occasions this season
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: