DAFC.net
Home 21 November 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Hampden/Murrayfield
Topic Originator: Scottn4312  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 07:39

A decision will be made today regarding the home of Scottish football.

Personally, I cannot stand Hampden. Poor stadium, poor atmosphere and a total nightmare to get too. Murrayfield on the other hand while still fairly large, tends to hold a good atmosphere and its an easy walk there and the public transport links are decent. The so called professionals expect a huge backlash should we move to Murrayfield, but those I've spoken to about it seem overwhelmingly in favour of a move. Thoughts?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Hampden/Murrayfield
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 07:43

Murrayfield would suit me coming from the East. I think there a bit of an East bias in general with Murrayfield and that's why you've have heard most people back it.

I think they will stick with Hampden though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:32

It wouldn't be a bad thing at all to take the centre of Scottish football away from Glasgow. But surely the OF won't let it happen?

As good as Murrayfield is, would the SFA want to move to Edinburgh? Worse still, to the headquarters of rugby?

If they opt for Hampden, as I suspect, then it should be subject to a massive upgrade to a stadium with something like 80,000 capacity. It is too small and lifeless as it is. It looks dull - its design was out of date when it was designed - it has none of the sense of intimidation for away teams that the old stadium had.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:45

OzPar

The consensus last night was that Murrayfield was too big and would be even more lifeless as we struggle to fill Hamden as it for International matches and much of the domestic use except the old firm finals.

Listening last night Celtic and Rangers are wanting to charge the the SFA too much for using their stadiums for big games and the neutral factor element for finals is not conducive if either or both old firm teams are playing.

Bringing the old firm to Edinburgh for finals is also a debating point with all the traffic coming from one direction in the event of a final.

I think with these thoughts in mind and the logistical pressure involved that will be influenced by police Scotland to remain at Hampden.

Even though Murrayfield would be a better option in my opinion.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:46

On the contrary Oz 8 believe the ambition would be to reduce *Hampden to a 35000 seater to pull all the stands inwards to try and create a better atmosphere.

Good in theory. I just can't get around the poor transport links to the stadium. Trying to make a day of enjoying the football just turns into a nightmare when trying to get to/from the stadium.

Post Edited (Wed 29 Aug 13:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:52

"On the contrary Oz 8 believe the ambition would be to reduce Murrayfield to a 35000 seater to pull all the stands inwards to try and create a better atmosphere."

Have the SRU endorsed that ?

I can't think they would consider such.

At the end of the day the SRU will have ultimate authority on what does and doesn't happen.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:55

My mistake, I meant Hampden!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 08:58

Quote:

renegade master,

Bringing the old firm to Edinburgh for finals is also a debating point with all the traffic coming from one direction in the event of a final.

RM, with a Celtic v Rangers final, I doubt the traffic would be coming just from the West !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 09:26

“On the contrary Oz 8 believe the ambition would be to reduce Murrayfield to a 35000 seater to pull all the stands inwards to try and create a better atmosphere.”

I can’t see that happening when the Rugby is regularly sold out. Would the SRU want to change their ground to the smallest capacity in the 6 nations tourney??

Can’t see it moving from Glasgow tbh - they wouldn’t even move it for the Hibs v Hearts final.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Yasser76  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 09:26

I would have to go with Murrayfield, anyone who has travelled more than a couple of miles to get to Hampden knows what a nightmare it is. Murrayfield has all the necessary transport links.

I'm not sure about the comment about all the fans coming from the west, the days of the inbred OF playing each other in every Cup Final seems to be long gone.

PS
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 10:14

Murrayfield for me. Fife is a nightmare to get back to by either public transport or car from Hampden.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 10:36

Let's be realistic, the only time a stadium the size of Murrayfield is need for football crowds is when it's Celtic v Rangers - and where one or the other is playing any other well supported club.

That could be a cup final or semi final - otherwise a match between lesser supported clubs generally struggles to fill more than half of Hampden.

Or for a major Scotland international.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 10:49

The problem we have in Scotland is we don't have anything suitable inbetween. If we had a 30,000 seat venue somewhere we could use that for lower cup semi finals and minor internationals. As it is, most semis and competitive internationals against smaller nations get crowds of between 20 and 30 thousand which are too big for Tynecastle, Pittodrie etc but don't create any atmosphere in Hampden.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 10:52

They’ll never move it. It’s what the paying customers want so it’ll never happen. To take football away from the weegies would cause uproar. Ironic situation considering almost every supporter of an OF team I’ve ever known has had no interest in Scotland as a team or country. Hampden is one of the worst most outdated stadiums I’ve ever been to. A proper dump.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 10:52

"Murrayfield for me. Fife is a nightmare to get back to by either public transport or car from Hampden."

public transport yes but I'm home by 11pm from a 7:45 kick off at hampden when taking the car.

Go from Murrayfield to Haymarket with 30,000+ others heading North to Fife, Dundee, Aberdeen as well as servicing the entire central belt and Glasgow. Prtty sure it wont be a smooth journey and you will queue for 30+ mins.

There are 4 train stations within a 15min walk of Hampden that will get you into central glasgow. Getting transport providers on-side and collaboration to make services available/better.

Parking in edinburgh is horrific at the best of times and no close motorway junctions etc.

In reality Uefa are the biggest issue for crowds the scheduling of games (5pm on a Sunday) is horrible.

Today will announce they are still looking at all options in an attempt to further drive down the cost of hampden.

Post Edited (Wed 29 Aug 11:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:10

Doesn’t make a difference for us north of Aberdeen. Will still get home at 2am either way. A new stadium nearer Perth would have been better. Fully expect the decision to be stay at hampden despite the majority wanting to move.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:13

Agreed Mikey, but the only viable entry to Murrayfield is from the west.

Everything gets funnelled from the car park which is Hermiston Gate/City Bypass.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:20

Hampden for me it has 2 train stations close by and we should not give money to another sport and finally there is the historical aspect
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:23

"They’ll never move it. It’s what the paying customers want so it’ll never happen"

Is it ?

I reckon opinions are pretty much evenly split.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:38

Quote:

Scottn4312, Wed 29 Aug 08:46

On the contrary Oz 8 believe the ambition would be to reduce Murrayfield to a 35000 seater to pull all the stands inwards to try and create a better atmosphere.

Good in theory. I just can't get around the poor transport links to the stadium. Trying to make a day of enjoying the football just turns into a nightmare when trying to get to/from the stadium.

Whoever told you that is slavering. The 6 nations always sell out and competitive scotland football matches average about 45k. Just considering the loss of rugby revenue it wouldn’t be worth doing for the SRU (67,144 - 35,000 = c£1.3 million lost per match)

I think maybe when Hearts were going to play a season there that was the intention with some artificial screening rather than actually reduce the capacity.

Post Edited (Wed 29 Aug 13:04)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 11:41

Anyway surely the whole thing is a negotiating tactic for the SFA to buy Hampden at the lowest possible price - and this will then leave us where we started as we can be sure they will not heavily invest in improving the stadium or negotiating with public transport providers to provide an adequate service

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 13:05

Quote:

P, Wed 29 Aug 11:38

Quote:

On the contrary Oz 8 believe the ambition would be to reduce Murrayfield to a 35000 seater to pull all the stands inwards to try and create a better atmosphere.

Whoever told you that is slavering. The 6 nations always sell out and competitive scotland football matches average about 45k. Just considering the list of rugby revenue it wouldn’t be worth doing for the SRU

I think maybe when Hearts were going to play a season there that was the intention with some artificial screening rather than actually reduce the capacity.

See my point after.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 13:22

The SFA should demand a sizable amount of cash from the government to rebuild Hampden into the 21st-century stadium, after all, it was the UK taxpayers paid for the new Wembley. Oops, forgot, the UK lottery paid for the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 13:36

hampden "just" needed levelled off at the ends. Remove the "bowl" element and have the stands steep overarching the pitch to support atmosphere. Can move away fans to the end section of the north stand that would remain or the south stand.

and for those who are "closer" to the pitch at murrayfield

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:03

Quote:

Scottn4312, Wed 29 Aug 13:05

Quote:

P, Wed 29 Aug 11:38

Quote:

Whoever told you that is slavering. The 6 nations always sell out and competitive scotland football matches average about 45k. Just considering the list of rugby revenue it wouldn’t be worth doing for the SRU

See my point after.

Still slavering - 45,000 average minus 35,000 is still £300k per match revenue lost. Plus it’s not that long ago there were 32,000 supporters club members.

That’s before you consider sell outs like England which is then nearly 17,000 tickets lost so over £1/2 million. Fair enough games v Malta get only about 26k but when the teams doing ok 35,000 would be woefully small

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:05

additionally if you look at any of the Murrayfield promotional materials they are bigging up ability to sell out and not just one or 2 games but consistently and all but promising to do the same should football move there.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Chef  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:08

The police won’t allow them to move to murrayfield. Can you imagine the carnage when the ugly sisters meet in a cup final at murrayfield with pretty much all the fans arriving in the same direction and on the one train station next to it? They know how to police hampden.

Personally, i hope they stay at hampden but develop the stadium and put pressure on the government to invest in better infrastructure in the area.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:14

Decision delayed. Shock.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:18

Quote:

The Chef, Wed 29 Aug 17:08

The police won’t allow them to move to murrayfield. Can you imagine the carnage when the ugly sisters meet in a cup final at murrayfield with pretty much all the fans arriving in the same direction and on the one train station next to it? They know how to police hampden.

Personally, i hope they stay at hampden but develop the stadium and put pressure on the government to invest in better infrastructure in the area.

You're forgetting thousands of fans travel outside Glasgow to watch them so its the same scenario in reverse.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 17:22

Dithering by the SFA shocker!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 18:39

What’s the chances they’ll delay it again next week. Absolute joke by the SFA. Not surprised though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 19:22

To be honest this was always gonna happen if anyone is suprised at this well this mob couldn't make a decision if their lives depended on it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1957Par  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 19:51

The usual from the SFA, too hard a decision to make without clear direction from the gruesome twosome. To ever imagine they would truly consider moving permanantly away from Glasgow was a step too far.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 20:22

C’mon it’s always going to be Hampden regardless of the business case.
SFA do not have the b@lls to go anywhere else.
The posturing is for PR effect and maybe get a few bob from the politicos.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 29 Aug 21:31

I am aware Police Scotland keep pointing out huge numbers of Celtic and Rangers fans heading from Glasgow could be a logistical problem.

The reality i,s though ,only a proportion of their support comess from Glasgow.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wedge  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 12:53

This is due to now be announced at 1500h today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 12:54

Shoe in for Hampdump

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FergPar  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 12:56

Hopefully Murrayfield. Football should be played in Edinburgh as it's the capital. Big games at Murrayfield, smaller games like last night at Tynecastle and ER.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 13:12

I heard the SFA have bought Hampden for 4 million.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 13:15

I heard Shotgun - George Ezra on the radio earlier today. A fantastic song.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 13:17

Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada like | nolike
Date: Tue 11 Sep 13:12

I heard the SFA have bought Hampden for 4 million.
-----
I was told the same thing, but no price was given. If that's the case I hope they rip half it down and restructure it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 13:37

Breaking Now

The Scottish FA will be staying at Hampden, BBC Sport understands.

The verdict over whether or not the SFA would be remaining at their Glasgow home or moving to Murrayfield is expected to be officially announced at 15:00 BST.
[IP address logged]
 It's Hampden not Murrayfield
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 13:54

Sky news stating it now too, disappointing really if not unexpected.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 14:00

Sky stating a Lord Willie (Hockey?) pledged £2.5m towards the £5m needed to buy Hampden if it was chosen. SFA say they will look to redevelop the ground in some way now that they will own it from 2020 with Queens Park moving to lesser Hampden.

Post Edited (Tue 11 Sep 14:04)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 15:27

Willie Haughey. Former non-exec Director of Celtic.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 16:22

FFS. This is an awful decision. Expected though - They only pretended to consider Murrayfield to give themselves a bargaining chip.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 16:53

Poor decision from my point of view unless they develop the ground and the surrounding issues for travel. Shows the SFA are all about the money though, no chance ticket prices will be dropped either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 17:00

great to see MSP's stating this is great news for Glasgow and the people of Glasgow. Whet about the people in the rest of the country. Was not an unexpected decision but they better re-develop it or nothing will change. Stadium needs Improved and transport links need massive improvement. They have got the stadium at a bargain price so they will have the cash from now on the fund the improvements.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 17:21

Not that bothered about the decision but one thing I liked about the Murryfield proposal was the introduction of a fan park on match days. I go to most Scotland away games and the majority of countries provide this pre-match. Really adds to the match day experience.

I hope there are plans for this around Hampden going forward as well as the obvious improvements mentioned.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 17:51

They’ll need money to redevelop that dump. Looks like the fans will fleece the bill for that with ever increasing ticket prices. What a load of old bohllocks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 18:15

Wales managed to build the Millenium stadium for £121 million and got £46 million from the Millenium commission which was essentially lottery money.

We spent £59 million on the final tranche of redevelopment which I think all came from the lottery on rebuilding Hampden.

I never understood how we failed to match the ambition Wales showed in building a bigger better stadium.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 18:33

Quote:

FergPar, Tue 11 Sep 12:56

Hopefully Murrayfield. Football should be played in Edinburgh as it's the capital. Big games at Murrayfield, smaller games like last night at Tynecastle and ER.

Spot on!!!

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 21:04

And Edinburgh breathes a huge sigh of relief!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 11 Sep 22:26

Did anyone here really believe that Murrayfield was gonna be chosen???

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 08:33

I did... I thought they may have realised that hampden offers a poor experience in terms of location, transport and view.

I thought they may have realised that Scotland fans come from all over not just Glasgow and that our opposition fans come from even further away... And given the links from main travel hubs like the airport to Murrayfield is so much better, the view from even the cheap seats is so much better and the fact that it regularly hosts full stadium events may have swayed their view.

However, having suffered celtic and rangers fans coming through to dunfermline when in the sphell - I'm sure the people living in embra are delighted with the outcome!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 09:02

Don't matter where Scotland plays, we'll still becutter gash.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 09:11

Can't see an advantage to Murrayfield myself. It's bigger than Hampden, so even more empty seats and poor atmosphere for the vast majority of games. Not convinced that the seats are any closer to the pitch either given the running track next to the main stand and the large areas of grass behind the goal for the Rugby.

As for transport, every ground is difficult to get to/ get away from when there's been a big game - ever tried getting a train at Haymarket when the Rugby is on?

I wonder if people's experience of Murrayfield's atmosphere has been shaped by their experience of watching sell-out Rugby matches and not for football games in a half-empty stadium.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 09:30

A few years ago Murrayfied had smaller crowds at internationals. Good marketing has improved things. Also the way they sell tickets is far better.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Wed 12 Sep 10:02

There are plenty of cr-p international teams, sadly few have as cr-p venues as Scotland. Hampden imo is Scotland's disgrace.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: