DAFC.net
Home 24 September 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Challenge Cup
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 14:35

Who gives a rats bottom ?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Challenge Cup
Topic Originator: theweepar  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 14:37

Me. It's one of our few chances to win a trophy and you get to play teams you usually don't.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 14:59

Quote:

NikNakPar, Sun 9 Sep 14:35

Who gives a rats bottom ?

The sponsors
The SFA
Most fans
The players
Sammy the Tammy
Crackers the Parrot

But hey lets end it so Big Team wannabees can pretend they are too good for it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 16:06

Plus if we banned the bigot brothers, probably the rest of the rest of the teams in the Premier league.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: broontroot  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 18:32

Not me.... a joke of a tournament
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 18:38

Maybe a joke of a tournament, but a great day out for the Fans. Fans are what matter and the fact that 750 - 800 Pars fans travelled all the way to London makes the format a sound one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 18:40

We can't afford to lose money,no matter how small.4 k.is a load of money to us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 18:45

Quote:

twin par, Sun 09 Sep 18:40

We can't afford to lose money,no matter how small.4 k.is a load of money to us.

Don’t agree with that. £4K is not a lot of money. The unexpected payday that hearts gave us would pay for that trip 10 times over and then some.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 19:35

How people think that 4K is not a lot of money to the club is beyond me, every penny is a prisoner and always will be in the current financial climate
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 19:50

It's a lot of money even to me.... And I'm quite comfortable here in Admin towers.
Pass me the caviar Dave.
And do we have any of that champagne left?
🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 19:53

Every penny still is a prisoner, but is there any evidence that we did lose money, taking the compensation, gate money and prize money for progressing to the next round I wouldn't have thought that we have.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 19:55

After two away games involving long journeys I'm sure the club would prefer a home draw in the next round. If you get to the third round of any cup competition you'd expect to make some money out of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 20:16

Bohemians or Connah's Quays Away hopefully
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 20:16

It's not just the financial point of view that can hurt teams , the toll of all the extra games at the end of the season takes it out on teams up there challenging for promotion, it's no coincidence that most managers treat it as 2nd rate tournament and are unwilling to play there first team squads
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 20:45

Quote:

broontroot, Sun 9 Sep 20:16

It's not just the financial point of view that can hurt teams , the toll of all the extra games at the end of the season takes it out on teams up there challenging for promotion, it's no coincidence that most managers treat it as 2nd rate tournament and are unwilling to play there first team squad/quote]

Look at Inverness last year. It was Saturday, Tuesday for weeks on end. They did well but was just a bit too much at the end of the day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 20:52

Quote:

elvis_lives, Sun 9 Sep 20:45

Quote:

It's not just the financial point of view that can hurt teams , the toll of all the extra games at the end of the season takes it out on teams up there challenging for promotion, it's no coincidence that most managers treat it as 2nd rate tournament and are unwilling to play there first team squad/quote]

Look at Inverness last year. It was Saturday, Tuesday for weeks on end. They did well but was just a bit too much at the end of the day.

Dundee United had the same problem the year before as well , the manager at the time spoke out saying he blamed the competition for hampering his team's promotion chances
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 21:16

Teams who blow promotion always look for an excuse. If Dundee Utd had won the league they'd have said how good it was that they had the Challenge Cup games to keep the whole squad sharp and to keep a winning mentality etc. Inverness went on a tremendous run at the end of the season - it was their poor start last year and not the Challenge Cup run that ruined their chances of making the play-offs.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 22:09

Quote:

kelty_par, Sun 9 Sep 21:16

Teams who blow promotion always look for an excuse. If Dundee Utd had won the league they'd have said how good it was that they had the Challenge Cup games to keep the whole squad sharp and to keep a winning mentality etc. Inverness went on a tremendous run at the end of the season - it was their poor start last year and not the Challenge Cup run that ruined their chances of making the play-offs.

So all the extra games, fatigue, injuries etc picked up in this cup had no effect on the teams ...... interesting
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 22:28

Quote:

broontroot, Sun 9 Sep 22:09

Quote:

kelty_par, Sun 9 Sep 21:16

So all the extra games, fatigue, injuries etc picked up in this cup had no effect on the teams ...... interesting

Correct. FATIGUE MY bottom .
2 games per week is not too much for full time fit professionals. Ffs look what tennis players and cyclists do.

Post Edited (Sun 09 Sep 22:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 9 Sep 22:28

It will have whatever effect they want it to have. Players usually prefer to play than train. Teams who win games gain confidence. Teams who go on cup runs get the fans supporting them in greater numbers. Are you saying these things don't have a positive effect? Interesting. The facts are clear - had Inverness had a better start they'd have made the play-offs. Had they lost in an earlier round would they have made the play-offs? Perhaps, perhaps not. Maybe their run to the final gave the players confidence to go on a long unbeaten run that saw them neatly pip us to 4th.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 01:15

Quote:

It's not just the financial point of view that can hurt teams , the toll of all the extra games at the end of the season takes it out on teams up there challenging for promotion, it's no coincidence that most managers treat it as 2nd rate tournament and are unwilling to play there first team squads

Did you hear the managers comments. Great to get away, team bonding etc etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 02:05

I looked at this before and I think I'm right in saying ICT took 1 point from 12 in the games immediately after their first 4 games in this comp last year-could be a coincidence but could've had an effect.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 11:28

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 10 Sep 01:15

Quote:

Did you hear the managers comments. Great to get away, team bonding etc etc.

I've also seen him say he's basically going to play the reserves in the competition, that's how much he rates it .
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this because nothing will convince me it's a meaningful tournament
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 11:58

"I looked at this before and I think I'm right in saying ICT took 1 point from 12 in the games immediately after their first 4 games in this comp last year-could be a coincidence but could've had an effect"

Why ignore the 3 points they won after their 5th game? Also, 2 of the 3 losses they had immediately after the Challenge Cup games were against St. Mirren.

In contrast, they won 8 games and drew 2 of their 10 league games immediately after winning the final.

I enjoyed Borehamwood and would love us to play in Ireland next round, but I ultimately don't care how we do in the tournament. I do believe it will have no correlation, good or bad, to our league campaign though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke-filled rooms with an amber glow, whispers in your ear while your moving slow, shadows dance all across the wall, reflections of the revival.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 12:04

He played a 'reserve' team for a midweek tie when we had a League Cup game against Hearts coming up on the Saturday.The next round he played the strongest team available. I don't think he's the competition's biggest fan but, as he says, as a professional football club you want to win every competitive game you are involved in.

I wonder how many of the sceptics would turn up if we made the final?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 12:10

Inverness were hampered by postponed games due to weather.
Only the semi(?)and final of this competition are after new year.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 13:48

Did they not also refuse to play us on a spare Saturday so that could prepare for an Irn Bru game?

No one to blame but themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 14:13

Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis like | nolike Like: 1 - 1
Date: Mon 10 Sep 11:58

'In contrast, they won 8 games and drew 2 of their 10 league games immediately after winning the final.'

That point could be viewed either way but essentially they did better when the tournament was over.Was that confidence or the fact they had less games and only one competition to concentrate on?

Any stattos out there know how many teams have won this comp and got promoted in the same year?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 10 Sep 14:50

The point was that winning the cup was a springboard for them to go on an unbelievable run, which almost dragged them into the play-off spots.

For a large part of the time where the cup has been in existence, there's only been one promotion spot. Statistically, it's quite unlikely that the same teams wins the Challenge Cup and what is now the Championship.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smoke-filled rooms with an amber glow, whispers in your ear while your moving slow, shadows dance all across the wall, reflections of the revival.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: