DAFC.net
Home 10 December 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Best No Score Draw Ever.....
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 06:47

A 0-0 draw is usually eminently forgettable, e.g. the recent home game v Alloa, which you probably won't thank me for reminding you about, if you were there. :-)

Last night, I watched the Napoli - Liverpool CL match and for 89 mins, I was completely enthralled as the game was played at high speed and intensity, with both teams counter attacking at every opportunity. I was ready to give it my vote as the most entertaining 0-0 draw I'd ever seen, when up popped Lorenzo Insigne to give Napoli a deserved winner, thanks to their dominant 2nd half performance, which included hitting the bar and having a shot kicked off the line by Joe Gomez.

Now I'm struggling to remember a good game which really did finish 0-0, either live or on TV, but I'll wrack my feeble brain and come back to it.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Best No Score Draw Ever.....
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 07:49

Benfica vs Barcelona in the CL a while back when Larsson played for barca

[IMG]http://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 07:53

For Pars games I would say the cup match at EEP vs Aberdeen in 1989 when Theo Schnelders had a blinder in goals for the Dons. How Ross Jack never scored is bewildering.
Fantastic 0-0 game.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 07:53

Best 0-0 draw for a Pars fan must be the 1961 Cup Final.
Maybe not for the football, but for what it led to in that decade.

Can't remember others that were truly good games, but there have been some. Folks with better recall to the rescue.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 08:01

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 4 Oct 07:53

For Pars games I would say the cup match at EEP vs Aberdeen in 1989 when Theo Schnelders had a blinder in goals for the Dons. How Ross Jack never scored is bewildering.
Fantastic 0-0 game.

Had a ticket for this game but spent the afternoon in the cells at the police station.
There was some fighting in the high street that I was not involved in.
Was unfortunate enough to be a youth and passing bye when the police turned up.
Was thrown in the back of the police van as they " had a witness that said I was involved " obviously a complete lie.
Never trusted the police from that day forward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 09:21

There was a bit of bother after that game too, up near the public park, if I am thinking of the same day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 09:25

Didn’t see the Liverpool game but a report says they were meek, passive, and never had a shot on target.
Hammer and tongs end to end? One way backs to the wall? Or GG on the G&T?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 09:52

There was dodgy counting of supporters at the Aberdeen game. Apparently over 18000 were in the home end, due to the crush many were moved to the partially empty away end. I don't know if any posters were among the group that were moved. I was told the crowd size by someone who worked at East End at that time. PS It was also my favourite 0-0 game. The crowd was put down at 15000.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 10:07

I thought the Hibs Vs Aberdeen quarter final was a brilliant game for 0-0. End to end chances
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 10:14

That Aberdeen game immediately came to my mind. Theo Snelders v Ross Jack. Cracking game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsPryde  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 10:52

Not sure I remember many "No Score draws", mainly because I remember games best based on the goals scored.

Only one that springs to mind recently would be the final game of the season against THE Rangers.

If memory serves me correctly, we fielded a fairly young team against THE Rangers (who had won every game that season) and the young lads did us proud by blanking them for a 0-0 draw.

Think my favourite memory was Ian Black, trying to out muscle Finn Graham with a shoulder charge.... only to bounce of Finn and end up sprawling on the ground himself :D

==============
Have your say, Join the PST Today

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 10:56

There was another more recent 0-0 with Aberdeen at EEP, opening game of the season in our first season back in the SPL under Calderwood. Probably not one of the best ever but from what I can remember we pretty much battered Aberdeen but couldn't score. It was Junior Mendes' debut, he played very well and after...

Another almost goalless game that comes to mind was another season opener, a Championship game under Jim McIntyre against ICT, we battered them as well, especially second half with Willie Gibson running the show, didn't score and they scored a wonder goal in the 90th minute, carrying on the curse we had playing against them.

Not too many 0-0s with both teams going at each other spring to mind, with or without the Pars.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 13:29

Quote:

Mario, Thu 4 Oct 09:25

Didn’t see the Liverpool game but a report says they were meek, passive, and never had a shot on target.
Hammer and tongs end to end? One way backs to the wall? Or GG on the G&T?

Well Mario, I didn't have any drink at all. Maybe your reporter didn't see the game either....😃

It's true Liverpool didn't have a shot on target, which just shows how stats can be used to suit a particular agenda. They had plenty of near things e.g. she Ospina rushed out of his area and just beat Salah to the ball with an outstretched foot by a split second. Napoli's goal from a magnificent breakaway move when the Reds were themselves looking to score. I did say Napoli fully deserved their win and were the more dominant side, especially after the break, but it was by no means a park the bus job by Liverpool, who came within a couple of minutes of a very good result

Now who do you believe? 😊 The games involving PSG should be very interesting for both Liverpool and Napoli. I fear the Italians may come to rue the two points they dropped in Belgrade in their first group game. Red Star's annihilation in Paris suggests they might not pick up another point in their group, so Napoli will need to beat PSG and Red Star at home and pick up at least a point in Paris or at Anfield to go through.

It's a big ask.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 14:25

The best 0-0 in 90 minutes I've seen was the 2006 WC Semi Final between Germany and Italy. Utterly compelling.

Of course it didn't finish 0-0 at the end of extra time - so might be stretching the definition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 15:53

Was going to say that. One of the best games I think I've seen on TV and not a goal in 90 minutes. Extra time was also excellent although of course there were goals.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 18:08

If you thought that game was good last night then your made haha both teams were poor and there was 1 moment of brilliance that stopped it being a dull 0-0
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 18:36

When we drew nil nil at Stenhousemuir in the 80s and got promoted. Not so much the game but the pitch invasion and celebrations afterwards.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 19:26

Quote:

DRFC_no1, Thu 4 Oct 18:08

If you thought that game was good last night then your made haha both teams were poor and there was 1 moment of brilliance that stopped it being a dull 0-0

OK, I'll bite.

Stick to watching the rugby, pal, cos either you didn't see the same game as me or you know hee haw about fitbaw. 😊

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 20:29

Quote:

helensburghpar, Thu 4 Oct 18:36

When we drew nil nil at Stenhousemuir in the 80s and got promoted. Not so much the game but the pitch invasion and celebrations afterwards.

Awful game but the tannoy announcement at full time.... Cowdenbeath 3-3 QOS was the best feeling ever!

They were losing at half time and fair credit to the team from QOS that night.

They stopped at East End on the way home to offer congratulations.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Thu 4 Oct 20:51

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 04 Oct 19:26

Quote:

OK, I'll bite.

Stick to watching the rugby, pal, cos either you didn't see the same game as me or you know hee haw about fitbaw. 😊

I saw the game, it was awful. Liverpool were woeful. Maybe your too used to Italian football that that dullfest excited you GG ;)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kintos  
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 03:04

Another vote for WC semi in 06, sublime game of football!

The ending was so dramstic, 2 Italian goals in the last 2 minutes of ET. 2 cracking finishes if I remember correctly?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 06:07

Quote:

DRFC_no1, Thu 4 Oct 20:51

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 04 Oct 19:26

Quote:

OK, I'll bite.

I saw the game, it was awful. Liverpool were woeful. Maybe your too used to Italian football that that dullfest excited you GG ;)

I'm 100% certain you're taking the pith, DRFC, otherwise why would you have stuck out the full game, when you could have been watching Spurs trying to live with Messi & Co.

On the off chance that you genuinely thought it was a poor game, I'd have to question your sanity and reiterate that you stick to watching the bent ball game.....😃 I'll watch the occasional game of rugger, but I readily admit that its finer points escape me, although the late Bill McLaren was great at explaining them to Philistines like me.

As for your reference to Italian football, you're barking up the wrong tree, mate. I stopped watching Calcio after details of the Calciopoli scandal emerged in 2006. I don't mind watching the odd CL game featuring an Italian club, but Serie A is as predictable as its Scottish counterpart, with Juve (who were the biggest cheats during Calciopoli) going for their 8th consecutive Scudetto.

Not so much a title race as a procession........

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 09:28

The irony of course is that, Juve being champions before a ball is kicked notwithstanding, Serie A is probably the best most competitive and tactically nuanced league in Europe. It's no longer on BT Sport but the League put brief highlights up on YouTube (in English as well as in Italian) of every game and it's well worth dipping into. Some of the goals this season have been incredible.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 14:37

Quote:

kelty_par, Fri 5 Oct 09:28

The irony of course is that, Juve being champions before a ball is kicked notwithstanding, Serie A is probably the best most competitive and tactically nuanced league in Europe. It's no longer on BT Sport but the League put brief highlights up on YouTube (in English as well as in Italian) of every game and it's well worth dipping into. Some of the goals this season have been incredible.

Aye, I've watched the odd game such as Juve - Napoli last season (coincidentally won 1-0 by Napoli with a last minute goal) and it was a fascinating watch, but normally I don't even watch highlights or even check the scores, such is the effect Calciopoli has had on me.

Sadly, cheating is endemic in Calcio. All clubs are of the attitude that 'everyone else does it and we'd be mugs not to.' And if you're feeling smug as a fan of Scottish football and think the game here is squeaky clean, you probably still believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy too.

Football is big business and results mean everything, so ruthless men (and women) will do whatever it takes to give their clubs an edge. The bigger the club, the more likely they are to benefit from dodgy practices......

Post Edited (Fri 05 Oct 14:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 16:22

I don't think there is anything like the scale of the match fixing that went on in Italy GG.

We might have an Old Firm bias, but as far as I am aware we don't have a Scottish Cosa Nostra.

Anway, our refereeing standard is so poor that any who would had been tapped, would likely not be able to remember what side they were meant to let win.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 18:33

''I don't think there is anything like the scale of the match fixing that went on in Italy GG.

We might have an Old Firm bias, but as far as I am aware we don't have a Scottish Cosa Nostra.

Anway, our refereeing standard is so poor that any who would had been tapped, would likely not be able to remember what side they were meant to let win.''

I wasn't for a minute trying to imply that there was any comparison, mach1, but just that there are times when people with club connections try their utmost to give their club an advantage, often bordering on the edge of legality and sometimes beyond.

As for the last sentence of your post, you can be sure that the vast majority of our refs have a ''soft spot'' for one of two clubs so they won't need any reminding of who they'll want to win............ :-(

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Oct 19:52

As a native Italian you'll remember that referees in Italy used to be allocated at random rather than by committee. I'm sure you know what happened the last time that was the case - Hellas Verona won the Scudetto. Ever since they went to the committee, it's only ever been won by the big Roman, Milanese and Turin clubs (and a Maradonna inspired Napoli and the Sampdoria of Vialli and Mancini).
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: