DAFC.net
Home 15 October 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Time Up For Jose'?
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 01:05

If reports are to believed one of the game's greatest managers is about to get the tin tack by Utd. Sorry Jose but dem's the breaks. You were shown more patience than Utd's global rivals, Barca and Real would have shown and a heck of alot more patience than Big Oil from the Middle East would have shown. I still have hope that somehow you can turn it around but I think your number has been called.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Time Up For Jose'?
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 03:42

Agreed. He will not lose out financially. Rumoured that initial talks have been held with Zidane.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 06:44

Zidane if they want quick success but if they want someone long term who is closer to the mould of Ferguson then it’s got to be Pochettino. It’s a complete no-brainer. He may not have won anything yet but he will. He’s also a world class youth coach and bringing through youth players are apparently what Man Utd are all about.

Post Edited (Sat 06 Oct 08:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 07:16

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 6 Oct 01:05

If reports are to believed one of the game's greatest managers is about to get the tin tack by Utd. Sorry Jose but dem's the breaks. You were shown more patience than Utd's global rivals, Barca and Real would have shown and a heck of alot more patience than Big Oil from the Middle East would have shown. I still have hope that somehow you can turn it around but I think your number has been called.

"One of the game's greatest managers" is a debatable statement, surely?

I suppose it depends on the criteria used, TOWK. There's no doubt Jose has an impressive trophy haul, but being a manager is about more than winning trophies by fair means or foul, in my humble one. A great manager is someone who has not only tactical nous, but the interpersonal skills to inspire a group of players and fill them with self confidence and belief, so that they're prepared to run through the proverbial brick wall for him. Clearly, Jose has demonstrated time and again that he is unable to do that, or at least sustain it for any more than a season or two max.

It looks like Chelsea all over again, a number of players appear to have taken exception to his man management style and are not giving of their best on the pitch. While that is completely unprofessional on the players' part, Jose must accept some responsibility for the situation which has developed.

The bottom line is that he will receive a handsome pay off if/when he is punted. I won't be sorry to see him go. He was never a good fit for Man U and they should never have appointed him when he made those advances to the club like some high class hooker. His failings are never his fault. It's always the players, the referee, the press......

For me, he doesn't come close to a manager like Jock Stein, who performed minor miracles with the Pars and Celtic on a shoe string budget. Pars players who played for Stein have told me he made them feel 10 feet tall before a game and convinced them they could beat anybody - and quite often they did, achieving results they had no right to achieve.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 08:31

I don't see how Zidane improves that team straight away. Perhaps if he gets Sanchez and Pogba back into some sort of form, but it'll take some doing to get them challenging again. I'm not sure how anyone can do that with their current squad of players.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 08:38

Jock Stein was one of the game's greatest managers as well. I didn't say Jose is thee greatest but he'd get a mention in any debate that covers such a question.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 08:42

Has the full confidence of the board apparently.

If he loses or draws today to Newcastle I'm sure he will be out.

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 09:25

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 6 Oct 08:38

Jock Stein was one of the game's greatest managers as well. I didn't say Jose is thee greatest but he'd get a mention in any debate that covers such a question.

For the reasons I gave above, he wouldn't get my nomination, TOWK. If all you care about is winning, then yes, he has to be considered. At previous clubs, his teams have won playing a functional brand of football, which was rather sore on the eyes, with the notable exception of his first season in his second spell at Chelsea.

In his present post, the football is dull and uninspiring. Man U fans might put up with it if the team was to win the Premiership or the CL, but there's precious little chance of that. Not Jose's fault, of course. It's those tight fisted directors who won't give him a few £billion to bring in some quality players to replace the likes of Pogba and Sanchez.......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 10:14

Apparently £20 million to sack him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 11:07

Hope he stays. Funny watching Man Utd lose to teams like Brighton and West Ham. Long may it continue.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsFrontMan  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 15:35

They should have appointed Pochettino from the start. I have respect for Jose for what he has achieved in his career. He was just not the right type of manager for United at the time. They needed someone who could rebuild the team and get them going in the long term. Jose just isn't that type of manager. He's good for a couple of years, then things start to slide. Its happened at every club he's been at so far, and its happening now with Man Utd. Don't get me wrong he's a good manager, but I feel that his time is now up at United.

He's clearly lost the backing of the team (calling out players in public in this day and age is not a smart thing to do). And no matter what the directors say, they are currently 12th in the table and going backwards. I'm sorry Mr Mourinho but your time is up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swisspar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 16:19

According to "insiders" the BBC say he won't be sacked today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 16:56

According to Radio Scotland he is gone today regardless of result!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FritzThePar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:23

Quote:

helensburghpar, Sat 06 Oct 11:07

Hope he stays. Funny watching Man Utd lose to teams like Brighton and West Ham. Long may it continue.

Totally agree Helensburghpar! Mon the Toon 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:39

Newcastle winning!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:41

2-0 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:42

I have to say this is highly entertaining from a Mourinho team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:45

He's gone min... He has to be punted.
Although... I'd love if he stayed.
I'll never tire of seeing them underperform.
It's fantastic 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:53

Absolute car crash . Jose out and take that useless clown Pogba with you. Pair of wage thieves

Form is temporary, Class is permanent
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 17:57

Jose must stay!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 18:00

Great first half by Newcastle so far

Bring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring back dave and frankBring

Post Edited (Sat 06 Oct 18:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 18:39

Surprised Jose wasn't sacked at half-time, tbh..... 😃

"One of the greatest managers in the game", the OP said.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 19:07

Dunno if the players are playing for Jose but they're certainly scrapping away....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 19:19

What a comeback.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 19:20

He really is special.
[IP address logged]

That's been coming for a while. Newcastle sitting far too deep, inviting Man U to come forward. How crucial is that penalty the Toon didn't get for the Ashley Young elbow?

[IP address logged]

Didn't see the first half but the 2nd was one way traffic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 19:21

Whit happened min....
I left the hoose wi 25 mins left to play and utd were a shambles... Come back and they've won 3-2.
The world is a crazy place... Funny old game innit 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 19:53

Yep like I said GG, one of the greatest managers in the game. Seen what was wrong and made some early tactical changes. His time at Utd maybe needs to come to an end but it seems rather churlish to deny he has been a great manager.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 20:28

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 6 Oct 19:53

Yep like I said GG, one of the greatest managers in the game. Seen what was wrong and made some early tactical changes. His time at Utd maybe needs to come to an end but it seems rather churlish to deny he has been a great manager.

I understand you need to defend him while he's manager of Man U, TOWK, but other than collecting a few trophies for some very rich clubs, he will only be remembered for the mostly ugly football his teams played. None more so than with Inter, but their fans won't care about that - he won them the CL, more than 40 years after their last Champions Cup win, achieved in similar style, the notorious catenaccio.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 20:32

News of his demise is greatly exaggerated.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 20:49

I'd hardly call Porto a very rich club. Neither Porto nor Inter had teams that anyone fancied to win the champions league. Nor did they have teams that could ever be considered to be the best team in Europe in 2004 or 2010 yet Jose still managed them to the ultimate success. In 2010 could his aging squad of players go toe to toe against a Barca side who were at the peak of their powers? No so he had to see them off tactically. At Porto and Inter he made them more that the sum of thier parts. That what made him a great manager in my opinion. Alas it's not what he has managed
to do at Utd.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 21:07

''I'd hardly call Porto a very rich club.''

That's why I said ''some very rich clubs.'' That UEFA Cup final v Celtic epitomised the biting,diving, scratching and kicking football football he loves his teams to play and the following year, they got lucky when Ranieri cocked up the CL semi-final v Monaco, leaving the door wide open for a Porto win in the final.

'' Neither Porto nor Inter had teams that anyone fancied to win the champions league. Nor did they have teams that could ever be considered to be the best team in Europe in 2004 or 2010 yet Jose still managed them to the ultimate success. In 2010 could his aging squad of players go toe to toe against a Barca side who were at the peak of their powers? No so he had to see them off tactically. At Porto and Inter he made them more that the sum of thier parts. That what made him a great manager in my opinion. Alas it's not what he has managed to do at Utd.''

He had to see them off tactically? Now there's the mother and father of all euphemisms! Inter played played the worst anti football I've ever seen in the return leg at the Camp Nou, kicking Barca unceremoniously at every opportunity, aided and abetted by a weak and compliant referee and the first leg wasn't much better.

You can stick to your opinion but great managers are not repeatedly sacked. Jose has twice been shown the door at Chelsea and had a disastrous time at Real in between. He'll do well to see the season out at OT. (Still, he'll be able to console himself with the £20m cheque.)

The only great manager to be sacked in this country was Fergie and we all know how that turned out for St Mirren......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 6 Oct 22:00

I take it you wouldn't class Carlo Ancelotti as a great manager then? Been sacked by quite a few clubs including two clubs that have also sacked Jose.
Anyway I can see I won't be able to change your opinion about his abilities as a manager.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 03:11

''I take it you wouldn't class Carlo Ancelotti as a great manager then? Been sacked by quite a few clubs including two clubs that have also sacked Jose.
Anyway I can see I won't be able to change your opinion about his abilities as a manager.''

Ancelotti? Hmm.....

Interesting suggestion for inclusion in a Great Managers Hall of Fame.......

Maybe we differ in interpretation, TOWK? You want to include successful managers, but I don't see a successful manager necessarily being great. Jose polarises opinion among players, fans and pundits alike. He generally fails to manage his playing squad for the full length of his tenure at any club. His arrogance has often been his downfall. Look at the way he handled the incident involving the female club medic at Chelsea.

Great managers are revered by all and sundry and become legends. Think Busby, Ferguson, Shankly and Stein. Managers like Graeme Souness and Martin O'Neill enjoyed plenty of success in Glasgow, but great? I don't think so.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 08:36

I'd absolutely include Ancelotti in a great managers hall of fame. He's basically a nicer version of Jose. I think there is alot to be said about a manager who can drop into a club and bring about a quick turn in fortunes and real quantifiable success. The managers you mention, who are undoubtedly legends of the game, wouldn't have been afforded the time to achieve that status today. Any one of Fergie's first four season's at Old Trafford would have seen him fired if they had happened 20 years later. Another example would be Shankly. He wins Liverpools first title in donkeys in 1964 but the following season they finish seventh but do win the FA cup and the season is considered a great success back then. These days that would get a Liverpool manager the sack.
I'd suggest that if Mourhino was around in yesteryear and won a club a title and European Cup in his first two seasons he be given Carte Blanche to run the club however he saw fit and be forgiven less successful seasons for years to come. Jose is a great manager for a different era.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 14:41

Good post, TOWK and lots of well made points.

I haven't changed my stance on Jose all the same. He must be quite an astute individual, yet he has repeatedly alienated his best players at a number of clubs, Hazard, Willian, Oscar and Fabregas at Chelsea and Pogba and Sanchez at Man U spring readily to mind. His treatment of Luke Shaw was appalling.

So if he's such a smart cookie, how come he repeats the same mistakes, time and again? It's hard to escape the conclusion that he's an arrogant sod and that he is bigger than any individual player or even groups of players.

A bit of humility is the only missing ingredient, but it's such a vital one. No one can be truly great, in any field, without it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 14:59

Let’s add Brian Clough to the list of great managers who got sacked. Won English titles with middling midlands clubs and two European Cups. Famously shown the door by Leeds after a troubled forty-odd days.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 15:47

Quote:

thenatural, Sun 7 Oct 14:59

Let’s add Brian Clough to the list of great managers who got sacked. Won English titles with middling midlands clubs and two European Cups. Famously shown the door by Leeds after a troubled forty-odd days.

There's no doubt Clough was an outstanding manager when you look at his achievements with Forest and Derby, but he made a pig's ear of his short time at Leeds. Telling the Leeds players they should chuck their medals in the bin because they'd won them by cheating, wasn't exactly the most endearing of opening gambits and guaranteed to set the squad against him. Like Jose, modesty was not his strongest suit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 16:19

Clough was the Jose of his day. A bit of a marmite character.
Incidentally Jock Stein lasted 44 days at Leeds, the same amount of time Clough lasted.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 19:14

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 8 Oct 16:19

Clough was the Jose of his day. A bit of a marmite character.
Incidentally Jock Stein lasted 44 days at Leeds, the same amount of time Clough lasted.

Aye, but Jock left of his own accord, for the Scotland job, if memory serves.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:19

Towk wish I could defend Jose but find it hard the man is a megalomaniac When Man U win its down to him When they lose its the players who are not good enough The same players he brought to the club at a a cost of £400 million He nearly destroyed the best full back in Europe He panicked and bought Sanches who is reportedly on £390,000 a week ? The man is a joke and will be a very rich joker when Man U decide to sack him

Post Edited (Mon 08 Oct 22:20)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:31

Sanchez was bought by the board to stop him going to Man City. Jose’s main target had been Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic , the board failed to deliver him. Ed Woodward is responsible for the failings at Man Utd as much as Jose. Of course the buck stops with the manager but there’s always more going on in the background. The amount of money the Glaziers have taken out the football club is criminal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 22:38

Are you sure you're a Man U fan?
Glaziers??? Really???
Pretty sure it's Glazer..
Just sayin 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 08:22

"He panicked and bought Sanches who is reportedly on £390,000 a week"

Arsene Wenger seemed to reckon it was at least 500k a week when he was asked about it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 08:39

Quote:

WheelKing99, Mon 8 Oct 22:31

The amount of money the Glaziers have taken out the football club is criminal.

It is criminal, but apparently quite legal, Wheelie.

Jose will be laughing all the way to the bank by the end of the season, if not sooner as I've revised my preseason prediction - can't see them finishing in the top 4.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 11:24

I've always said the sign of an extremely good manager is one that can have spells in the doldrums but have that ability and self belief to bounce back.

Klopp went through that at Dortmund in his final season being bottom at Christmas but he turned it around securing Europa league place by the end and a cup final.
Suçcess alone doesnt make a great manager otherwise Ally McCoist and endless others from Glasgow could claim that right.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 12:52

Klopps recent record , particularly in cup finals is embarrassing. I wouldn’t even put him in the top 50 managers of all time.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 12:59

Quote:

WheelKing99, Tue 9 Oct 12:52

Klopps recent record , particularly in cup finals is embarrassing. I wouldn’t even put him in the top 50 managers of all time.

I'd hardly call it embarrassing just because they didn't win these cups. Getting there is an achievement in itself.
Were Pars embarrassing three times in the naughties?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:07

Not at all but then I wouldn’t compare The Pars to clubs like Liverpool and Dortmund.
He’s been in 3 finals with Liverpool and lost them all . Fair enough clubs like Liverpool rarely have any success these days so getting to a final is good enough for them but if Jose had lost 3 finals at Utd he’d be a goner .

Post Edited (Tue 09 Oct 13:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:14

He might have lost more than he's won in cup finals but for the majority of those he's also been managing the underdog.

I suspect nobody at Liverpool is going to be embarrassed by not winning the Champions League and Europa League finals as let's be honest Liverpool have been in more European finals recently than any other English side.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:18

Methinks WK just doesn't like Liverpool.... Or anyone connected with Liverpool.
Which is OK... I feel the same way about Man Utd.
Oh... And I don't think he likes Man City... Or anyone connected to Man City either.
Which is definitely OK... As they are the Big Team in Manchester these days 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:27

Utter nonsense Widders. I’m just pointing out a few facts. Klopps football teams play exciting football. They don’t win anything but nice football all the same.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:42

Ach I'm only havin a laugh wi ye wk.
It's just so nice to see Man Utd in a wee bit (just a wee bit mind) of turmoil.
You wouldn't begrudge a Liverpool fan that would you? 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:52

It is strange that Liverpool appointed Klopp but completely missed the fact that his Borussia Dortmund side won nothing.

Mind you, winning the Bundesliga (or even the German Cup) would be a massive achievement in a country where Bayern Munich are so dominant financially.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:58

Ha all good widders.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 14:29

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 9 Oct 13:52

It is strange that Liverpool appointed Klopp but completely missed the fact that his Borussia Dortmund side won nothing.

Mind you, winning the Bundesliga (or even the German Cup) would be a massive achievement in a country where Bayern Munich are so dominant financially.

Which is why Klopp won two Bundesliga titles and the German cup.
Lost two others granted plus Champions League final but so many finals in such a relatively short time period with BVB and Liverpool can't be seen as a failure in my eyes.
Does it make him a top notch manager? No, not yet as he will admit himself.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 14:31

It's almost as if I knew that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: