DAFC.net
Home 15 October 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 St Johnstone
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 16:17

Woeful.
0-5 at h/t.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: St Johnstone
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 16:24

They haven't been good but Celtic have been sensational in that half. Rangers dishing out a beating to Hearts too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 16:30

Enjoyed Sutton’s little dig during the match commentary:” a Rangers win would put them in the top half of the league”. 😅
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 16:35

Disgrace of a "challenge" from Swanson .
Could finish double figures if Celtic want

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 16:53

Quote:

parbucks, Sun 7 Oct 16:30

Enjoyed Sutton’s little dig during the match commentary:” a Rangers win would put them in the top half of the league”. 😅

I clocked that and had a smile at that too 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 17:00

Just said another one when they showed the league table after Rangers result.

“Rangers got some work to do to get above Livingston”. Ouch!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 17:09

😂😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 19:00

Once again the cousins rolled over by the sons, but the green meanies also came good.

Must have been playing that way that is alien to the Scottish game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 19:31

Absolutely loving the constant media hatred of the club that died but never . Fantastic

Form is temporary, Class is permanent
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 19:47

Even the Celtic threads are all about rangers 😎
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 22:40

Maybe Tommy Wright should have enlisted the help of Bertie as a consultant?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 22:50

Big deal Celtic hump a mediocre Saints team. How much did that Celtic team cost?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 7 Oct 22:55

I've no idea. I'm not a Celtic fan and would have preferred Saints to win.

I just find it amusing that the game after you suggested Rodgers should be sacked his team hit 5 before half-time away from home.

You didn't rate Jimmy Calderwood much either did you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Edited (Sun 07 Oct 22:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 10:19

No I didn't rate Calderwood at all.
A monkey could have done what he did with the Pars given the same money. How many long term jobs did he get after the Pars? None and all he seemed to do was to leave teams with a cash shortage.

His record with youth development was pretty poor too.

Celtic are a mirage. There is little substance there and it is easily shown in their European performances which are woeful.
That result was more a condemnation of the Saints than any kind of validation of Rodgers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 11:08

Quote:

Bertiesback, Mon 08 Oct 10:19How many long term jobs did he get after the Pars? None

Does a 5 year stint at Aberdeen not count ?

Post Edited (Mon 08 Oct 11:09)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 11:17

That is absolute nonsense Bertie. Calderwood had us playing some of the best football I can remember seeing at EEP.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 11:46

"Celtic are a mirage".

Think you must have a touch of heat stroke.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 11:54

Quote:

WheelKing99, Mon 8 Oct 11:17

That is absolute nonsense Bertie. Calderwood had us playing some of the best football I can remember seeing at EEP.

And some of the most mundane as well.
Of course it would be foolish to say he was useless, he got us to our first cup final in 36 years and subsequently Europe and top 4 of the league I think but let's not pretend the football was great to watch in most games.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 12:05

Quote:

Bertiesback, Mon 08 Oct 10:19

No I didn't rate Calderwood at all.
A monkey could have done what he did with the Pars given the same money. How many long term jobs did he get after the Pars? None and all he seemed to do was to leave teams with a cash shortage.

His record with youth development was pretty poor too.

Celtic are a mirage. There is little substance there and it is easily shown in their European performances which are woeful.
That result was more a condemnation of the Saints than any kind of validation of Rodgers.

Calderwood will always be a divisive figure for the Pars due to the way he left, primarily. I didn’t begrudge him going - I can understand he probably felt he had taken Dunfermline as far as the club could go - but he didn’t handle it well from a PR perspective. Had he handled that better I think people would be less bitter and he probably would be looked back upon with more universal acceptance.

To criticise him for the money spent is plain unfair. Like AJ, or any other manager of DAFC or any other club, the manager simply operates within the budget he is allocated. The manager may input their “need” but the responsibility (and accountability) for setting the budget sits squarely with the board of directors. If a club are operating out with their means, as Dunfermline were, then the manager bears no responsibility for that.

To suggest a “monkey could have achieved what he achieved with the Pars given the same money...” is such an over-simplification of football management. Not only does this fly in the face of the countless anecdotal examples where money alone hasn’t brought success in football, but also by the very fact that we didn’t continue to achieve that after Claderwood contradicts your point!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Oct 20:52

"And some of the most mundane as well.
Of course it would be foolish to say he was useless, he got us to our first cup final in 36 years and subsequently Europe and top 4 of the league I think but let's not pretend the football was great to watch in most games."

I genuinely can't identify with that statement at all. We weren't always great under JC, but I really can't remember us being dull or mundane.

That's based on experience at the time and the hours I spent researching, trawling through YouTube footage of the Pars during JC's tenure. If you have a moment, have a look at the uploads from a guy/girl called runstop10. Loads of Pars highlights during that time and some of the goals and general link up play are phenomenal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 07:59

Bertie doesn't like teams passing the ball and good interplay though DA-go, he likes it booted up the park as quickly as possible to a winger who will cross it in for a striker to head the ball (and the goalkeeper) into the back of the net.

There were times under Calderwood when we were so in control of the game that even with a 1-0 lead I was never worried we'd lose an equaliser. We'd have so much control it was like watching a training exercise. It was something similar on Saturday at Falkirk, where it was like watching a man's team up against a schoolboy side. Add in the Crawford/Brewster partnership and players like Nicholson, Shields, Skerla, Wilson, the Youngs, etc and it was never dull or mundane. It's interesting to think about the Dutch philosophy of totalvoetbal and how comfortable players are at playing multiple positions then look at our squad - there were five or six players who could do a job in three or four different positions and Scott Thomson could play pretty much anywhere.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 11:43

"Bertie doesn't like teams passing the ball and good interplay though DA-go, he likes it booted up the park as quickly as possible to a winger who will cross it in for a striker to head the ball (and the goalkeeper) into the back of the net."

Don't misquote me "stalker"
I knew it wouldn't be long before you popped your head up to have a go.

Are you not one of the "coaches" who defends 5 cross field passes and 3 back passes culminating in the keeper hoofing it up the field - a move which would have had more chance of finding a team mate if the 2nd guy had passed it forward in the first place.

Kids are getting decision making coached out of them by ******* coaches who don't have a clue and would rather take the fun out of the game.
Pogba was moved back to the back 3 for United because he was the only player in the United defence and midfield who had a clue how to move the ball forward.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 12:10

Loads of great sides have been content to pass the ball laterally 5 times and then backwards 3 times - to use your example - if it means keeping possession.

They tend not to pass it back to the keeper to hoof it upfield though. If it does go back to him, it's the job of a defender to find some space to receive the ball, the deep lying midfielder to take it off them and re-start the attack from there.

It's difficult to lose a goal when you have the ball. It's also difficult to defend effectively when you don't have possession. It takes masses of concentration, especially when you're being moved all over the place trying to combat a side who have possession and can move it quickly.

The problem can be if a side tries to play possession football but doesn't have the players to do so or can't do it with any pace. Van Gaal's Ajax side from the mid-90s is one of my favourite teams of all time. The commentators used to say that "Ajax are the team with the ball". In contrast, his Man Utd side liked to keep possession but were pedestrian, which made them dull, undynamic and ineffective.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 12:55

Stalker? That's a new one. I don't celebrate passing it back to the keeper to kick it long either. Passing it back to the keeper to then pass it on to someone else or to launch a counter attack is perfectly fine though. I may have been a little cheeky but you keep harking on about keeping possession as if it's somehow not a good thing to do. Look at Chelsea's third against Southampton and tell me that keeping possession still can't lead to incisive play and a cracking goal. They moved Southampton all over the place then upped the pace when they needed to. Interestingly enough, the only coach I can think of who doesn't advocate keeping possession as much as possible is seen as one of the most negavite coaches going - Jose Mourinho.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:32

The 3rd goal for Chelsea v Southampton was absolutely phenomenal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:49

I remember we got a lesson on passing football when Arsenal came to visit. Great to watch when done properly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:51

And the really scary thing about that brilliant Arsenal performance was that they never really got out of first gear.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 13:56

Aye, they could have had 10 if they really needed to.

Mind you, that Arsenal side were at the top table of European football. That season, they lost a Champions League quarter-final on away goals to Valencia (who lost the final in a penalty shoot-out).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 14:16

Does my memory serve me correctly that Patrick Viera ended up signing autographs in the Norrie stand that night, whilst the game was ongoing (after he was subbed)

Post Edited (Tue 09 Oct 14:16)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 14:31

I remember him giving a wee disabled lad a gift on behalf of Arsenal. I just remember noticing how thin he was.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 14:32

Patrick Vieira could have signed autographs whilst on the pitch and would still have completely dictated the game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 15:27

Viera was my standout memory from that game. The whole team were brilliant but Viera just seemed to patrol a box area in midfield where he just won everything going and then used the ball superbly.

We actually had a couple of passages of play where we showed we could play a bit but that Arsenal side was different class. Was a real privilege to see them at East End.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 17:26

My long lasting memory of that game was a strange one. Obviously Viera and the likes looked sensational as you would expect. It was when Tony Adams was running down one of our rare attacks in that game against one of our boys (I forget who) he looked like a Greek God by comparison. He trotted and made it back to the ball with time and energy to spare. Add to the fact that he was very near the end of his career it brought home the difference in class between the 2 respective levels.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Big Marcus  
Date:   Tue 9 Oct 20:08

Remember the "who are you? Who are you?" Shouts to Henry. . .He just smiled :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tribbiani  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 08:21

That Arsenal game was mid season eh? Pretty sure the Feyenoord(?) one was as well. Can't imagine that happening these days. At least not with first team regulars. Great for the fans but getting slapped about can't do much for team morale!

Still say Bonaventure Kalou's performance in that Feyenoord game is up there with the best I've seen at EEP.

Also was that not the only time Junior Mendes scored for us?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 09:42

The Arsenal game was slightly into the season for us (I think we'd played 2 league games by then?) but was still pre-season for Arsenal (I think it was their last pre-season friendly before the league started, or Charity Shield if they were playing in that). The game was to officially open our new stands.

The Feyenoord game was during the season, on an international break weekend. They still had a few internationalists like the aforementioned Kalou and they ripped us apart. Junior Mendes has one of his rare games for us and played quite well as I recall. The crowd though was very disappointing - maybe only 2 or 3 thousand? - so the experiment never happened again.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 09:44

I'd actually completely forgotten about the Feyenoord game!

That was a bit of a spanking and was some capitulation in the 2nd half even though it was a friendly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 10:00

I think the Feyenoord game was quite competitive until 10-15 minutes to go. From memory, I think it was 2-2 at some point in the 2nd half and 4-2 going in to the closing stages.

Then the benches emptied and their fringe players were slightly more effective than ours...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 10:57

i took my daughter to the feyenoord game when she was quite young and we must have been getting pumped the whole of the first half as she only realised that there was another set of goals when the teams changed ends and they continued to pump us second half.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 10:58

just went on line and noticed that it was 22 at half time.wierd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 16:12

Did Van Vossen not play in that game along with Kalou.?
Remember Nipper doing a quick left-right-left shuffle to get out of a tight spot down beside the nw corner flag. Strange how things stick in the mind.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 16:18

Yep and he scored.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 16:57

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 9 Oct 13:56

Aye, they could have had 10 if they really needed to.

Mind you, that Arsenal side were at the top table of European football. That season, they lost a Champions League quarter-final on away goals to Valencia (who lost the final in a penalty shoot-out).

Pfft we humped Valencia 6 2.
Arsenal who?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 10 Oct 17:19

Similarly, if the rule had existed, Valencia would have put us out on away goals also.

Clearly we would have bagged a 7th if that had been the case though.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: