DAFC.net
Home 04 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Spain v England
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 13:08

I think it's fairly safe to say that most football fans tend to get more enjoyment from a game when they can align themselves behind one of the teams.

I'm looking forward to this game tonight, but I'll have to decide whether to follow my Latin roots and cheer for my Iberian cousins or go with my adopted country and like all guid Scots, get solidly behind our Anglo-Saxon brothers from south of our non-existent border.

Any considered advice from the dotnet brotherhood would be much appreciated. ☺

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Spain v England
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 13:11

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 13:23

Nice one GG! Controversial at all times. Sadly for me I'd now be happier when Scotland and England both get beat rather than both winning.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 13:29

Oh aye... I'm gonna support Englandlandshireshire tae!!! 😂
Hope Spain batter 12 past them.
(could happen) ... When Englandlandshireshire are good... They're good.... But when Spainland are good... There's very few teams that can stop them.
So I'm. Hoping for a lacklustre performance from the old enemy and a display of fitbaw mastery from the Spanish chaps.
In fact... I might just bet ma hoose on it.
I'm sure the council won't mind 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 13:31

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 15:16

Quote:

vasco, Mon 15 Oct 13:23

Nice one GG! Controversial at all times. Sadly for me I'd now be happier when Scotland and England both get beat rather than both winning.

Controversial? Moi? Just for asking folks who I should cheer for tonight? Come on, vasco..... you cannot be serious!

Joking aside, when you don't have any strong leanings one way or the other, you end up wanting the team who plays the more attractive and entertaining football to win. Try as I might, I can't see that team being England tonight.....

A story I never tire of telling is that in the 1967 European Cup Final, I started off wanting Inter to win, since they were from my native country. I cheered when they went in front from a 7th min penalty. Long before the end I was willing Celtic to win, after wave upon wave of attack was repelled by the Inter defence and the goalkeeper, Sarti, in particular. I was delighted when Celtic equalised and punching the air when Stevie Chalmers netted the winner near the end.

I wonder if there's ever been another instance when the same person cheered the goals of both teams in the same game?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 15:30

interestingly being played in Seville at home of real betis

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 15:32

Corrie for me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 16:37

cmon the seniors into this overated mob especially man with 2 names not harry or kane always call him harry kane gets on your nerves 2-0 spain

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 16:42

Same old same old....
BBC News - Spain v England: England fans' disorder in Seville unacceptable, says FA
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45865145

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 16:53

Liking this GG you are approaching this game with a different tack in that going by yer past record you have not jinxed any team yet :-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1957Par  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 17:01

No change from me regardless of engurlandshire's opposition. ABE. That's all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 18:25

Fingers crossed that Spain demolish them .
Hope it's a cricket score against those overrated gits

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 18:57

In Madrid on buisness trip .So Spain for me 😀😀😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 19:05

two foreign teams i couldn't care less about... like their domestic leagues, won't bother watching
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 19:13

I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than align myself to our near neighbours

By the way has anyone noticed there is a documentary series coming soon called “Why does everyone hate the English”

This is the very question I was asked last week in Israel, when an Israeli said we were just the same (I nearly said that on that thinking then Israel and Palestine would be the same, however I resisted thinking it would be slightly inflammatory)
My answer was somewhat more considered “why does everyone hate the English, because they are barstewards” (ish) it did get a round of applause in the pub where the Tartan Army were massed, the same pub where the owner contacted the guy who organised twenty one busses to leave from saying what a pleasure it had been to serve the Scots fans over the course of the trip and how respectful we had been to the locals and the staff in the bar

Sadly the same level of respect for the locals has not been shown tonight in Seville by the English fans, it must be “heavy handed policing” again
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:02

Lucky ping there for those from there...

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:15

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:15

Well the ABE’s must be a little disheartened at the moment!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:17

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:19

Plenty of time for this to be messed up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:20

English fans singing are you Scotland in disguise
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:22

If they are then they will come back and get a 2 2 draw then
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:23

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:23

2-2 ain’t on now. O-3 and it’s not h/t!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:25

Southgate will be a phenomenal appointment. A manager who actually changes things and puts his trust in youth and give those on form a call up regardless of experience.

We could do with some of that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:26

Quote:

Berry, Mon 15 Oct 20:25

Southgate will be a phenomenal appointment. A manager who actually changes things and puts his trust in youth and give those on form a call up regardless of experience.

We could do with some of that.

We can't afford him. And even if we could I don't think he'd come.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:27

Those already smug bams will be insufferable now . Can't watch any more of this .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:33

The smug bams on here are becoming insufferable
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:34

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:35

When you stick your chin out and you get poked on it stop complaining.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:39

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:41

The game has suited England's strengths: two banks of four defending with hardly any possession to expose their midfield limitations, and three pacey strikers ripping a square Spain rearguard apart on the break.
The best passer England have is probably Pickford, the goalie, who started the first two counter attacks with quick distribution. England are a more dangerous team when they do not have the ball.

Speaking of smugness, Trippier has that smugbum look I recall from David Platt, something that is regarded as endearing down south but goes down less well north of the border. If Spain can continue in the second half with what must be 70% possession then they can get back in this game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  

Jealous jocks
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  

They will still screw it up
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:42

Quote:

1970par, Mon 15 Oct 20:22

If they are then they will come back and get a 2 2 draw then

That was against a well organised Strachan team. If McLeish's team played them now, they'd take 5 or 6 off us unfortunately. What a difference 18 months makes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:47

Team Britain lucky to be ahead imo...

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 20:48

Act, these kind of freak results happen in football sometimes. Mind Scotland beating France away from home a decade or so ago. We went on to achieve absolutely nothing after that. England are a decent side and Spain are obviously having an off day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 21:34

It in my very DNA to dislike the England football team and its fans

Oh and did anyone notice the baldy ref did not give the penalty
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 21:37

7 minutes of injury time. Never heard of that before. The ref's giving the Spaniards every chance to come back... but they won't.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 21:41

A game of two halves. Too little too late by Spain against a young, inexperienced English team.
Good game to to watch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 15 Oct 21:56

Well done to them. A cracking result. It will ultimately mean nothing - but a great achievement in itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we don't sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna score in every game 'til Christmas,
And every touch is goal la la la, it's goal la la la,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: calpar  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 00:25

What does 'non existant border' mean in op ?
Obviously never driven south on A1, A68 or M74 then ?

ABE
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 07:42

Some great counter attacking goals after Spain's start had England under the cosh. Unlike the Pars they certainly buried a few of their chances. Spain at times couldn't cope with the directness and speed of their counter attacks. A great result away for them away from home against one of the world's top teams. However if Spain had scored first it might have been quite different. Southgate deserves a lot of credit for blooding such a young team.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 09:15

Well, I never saw that coming. I suppose its unpredictability is one of the great fascinations of football. Spain may be far more technically gifted, but it counts for nothing if the opposition score almost every time they come upfield. An outstanding example of how getting your tactics spot on can get you a seemingly impossible result. On another day, Spain would have won comfortably. Two England goals for Sterling after an absence of three years, was it? Hats off to Gareth Southgate, he's done really well with a fairly average squad, apart from Harry Kane.

Quote:

calpar, Tue 16 Oct 00:25

What does 'non existant border' mean in op ?
Obviously never driven south on A1, A68 or M74 then ?

ABE

I meant there are no border checks, calpar. I've travelled south many a time without a passport and never been stopped. ☺

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 10:04

Well I'm no England supporter, but I do have several English friends and have to say all credit to the team and to Southgate for giving youth a chance.

Safe to say, their national team is in a better shape than ours.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 10:34

They got Spain at the right time with Isco out and Pique, Silva and Iniesta having just retired.A decent result from them but zero perspective from the English media as usual calling it a historic result(It was a bit of a freak 45 minutes).Spain are actually ranked 3 places lower on the back of a poor World Cup and going out to Russia which is a shame for England as I thought they might beat a team higher than them for the first time since 2002.Spain are nowhere near as good as in recent times and Aspas starting is evidence of that, however, they still top the group.

Sterling doubled his international goals in one night and you have to give them some credit but calm down.

Match stats Possession Spain 73% England 27%
Shots Spain 23 England 5
Corners Spain 12 England 0

I realise the only stat that counts is the goals for column so fair play to them for that. I like Southgate as a manager though and he has benefitted from managing the U21's successfully first getting to know his players and then giving them a chance. I also like how he isn't scared to call up a player from a 'lesser' team if he feels they are playing well and he thinks they a can do a job.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 11:21

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:02

Competitive games since the England game:

Lithuania 0-3 Scotland
Scotland 2-0 Malta
Scotland 1-0 Slovakia
Slovenia 2-2 Scotland

Scotland 2-0 Albania
Israel 2-1 Scotland

We've actually done ok in the last 12-13 months, unless you decide to get hysterical about friendlies.

Also shows you how easily fans get bored. Strachan was very unlucky in the 2016 Euro qualifying - with Ireland's 2 freak results against Germany hurting us badly, along with a bad performance by us in Georgia. Similarly, we were a goal against Slovenia away from the play-offs in the World Cup. That narrative, based on actual results, did not play well for the people who think that change, any change, will automatically makes things much better - even if things are not actually too bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Edited (Tue 16 Oct 12:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:08

I remember about four years ago they beat Germany 3-2 in Berlin. A few months later they were humbled by Iceland. England had their big chance in July but bottled it when leading against Croatia so I won't get bothered when they do well in games between tournaments. When the big boys show up in their full work gear it always ends the same way for England.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:19

"Also shows you how easily fans get bored. Strachan was very unlucky in the 2016 Euro qualifying - with Ireland's 2 freak results against Germany hurting us badly, along with a bad performance by us in Georgia. Similarly, we were a goal against Slovenia away from the play-offs in the World Cup. That narrative, based on actual results, did not play well for the people who think that change, any change, will automatically makes things much better - even if things are not actually too bad."

dont think fans get "bored" as such. Strachan steadied the ship and began improvements however had his "go to" players. As such thats what is hurting us now. players in "prime" have no experience at international level so for tricky games like last week guys that have 1 or 2 caps are suddenly like fish out of water. Where is the long term successor to Scott Brown for example?

if Ireland can get "freak" results (twice!) is it actually a freak? We actually left the Westfallen gutted to lose to the world champions given our performance and chances we had.

Our inability to beat the bottom 2 seeds in our group home and away has cost us qualification in something like 8 out of the last 11 qualifying campaigns.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:22

I have to say a few posters are very grudging in their praise of our English cousins. Admittedly, the first half was a bit surreal, with England scoring in 3 out of 4 sorties upfield, but overall, I felt they were worth their win, even if I wouldn't put any money on them repeating that result if they were to replay the game next week.

Spain had plenty of possession but did precious little with it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:23

Quote:

mach1, Tue 16 Oct 10:04......all credit to the team and to Southgate for giving youth a chance.

Very much this

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Tue 16 Oct 12:24)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Oct 12:44

"if Ireland can get "freak" results (twice!) is it actually a freak?"

The 1-0 win in Dublin was an absolute mugging. The 1-1 game in Germany, they had 1 shot on goal, which was their 94th minute equaliser. I think it's fair to say they were lucky to get 4 points out of 6, but fair play to them for being tough to break down.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net