DAFC.net
Home 13 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football pundits
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 10:59

What does Neil McCann's sacking as Dundee's manager mean for the credibility of football pundits? I've always thought their job was one of the easiest in football as their comments and suggestions as to what a manager should do to improve his team's performance are rarely tested on the field. Neil McCann was in the position to put his ideas into practice and he failed.

I think pundits who have managed a team, with whatever level of success, are more credible than those who haven't, so maybe Neil will become a better pundit for his experience. On the other hand viewers and listeners may place less weight on his comments in the light of his failure at Dundee. Michael Stewart is another one who has very strong views which he expresses articulately and forcefully but, as far as I know, he has never signed a player, picked a team, decided on a formation or tactics, or given a team talk to a group of professional footballers.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football pundits
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:05

Have often thought the same about Michael Stewart. Alan Shearer and Alan Hansen also spring to mind.
It's easy to talk without any responsibility as we all do on this kind of forum, but we do it for various reasons, none of which include, getting a decent wage for it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:19

I feel that Michael Stewart,Steven Thomson and Jonathan Sutherland really enhance "Sportscene' as they explain coaching moves and tactics.

I remember the days,years ago,when the analysts were dim inarticulate former Old Firm players, whose knowledge of football did not extend beyond the city limits of Glasgow.

The result was that, if other teams were featured ,they talked at length about the one player with connections to the OF ,eg when Ian Ferguson was at East End.

The question ,whether these pundits could actually achieve success at a Football Club, is fascinating.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:29

Shearer managed Newcastle United for a spell of 8 games back in2009 (?) which ended in their relegation from the Premiership so he has seen both sides of the fence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:40

I think fundamentally I do agree with you but you can get very good pundits who've never managed and have credibility too.

Three that spring to mind for me are Guillem Balague and James Richardson and the late great Bob Crampsey was one of the best.

I don't doubt though that guys like McCann and Gary Neville will have gained a completely different insight into management having had to actually do the job even though they both failed.

Post Edited (Wed 17 Oct 11:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:55

I can't stand Michael Stewart, Steven Thomson and Jonathan Sutherland. It's like 3 mates bickering at the pub. Even when they agree on something one of them has to say something to wind the others up. Michael Stewart seems to think he is the all knowing all conquering when it comes to talking about matches. Just my opinion obviously but they annoy me,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 11:56

Balague and Marcotti used to do a show together on Talksport when they were rising to prominence. It was fascinating given the amount of knowledge they had.

I don't actually think James Richardson is particularly knowledgeable, but it clearly a wonderful presenter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we don't sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna score in every game 'til Christmas,
And every touch is goal la la la, it's goal la la la,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:38

There's clearly a world of difference between being a pundit and managing a squad of players, keeping them all happy and on board and getting them all to pull in the same direction.

I know which one is by far the easier. The fact that Allan Shearer, one of football's highest paid pundits, couldn't stop his beloved Newcastle being relegated, speaks volumes......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:55

Having a knowledge of football doesn't make anyone a football manager.
Managing players and staff while dealing with everyday stuff like the media, board meetings etc is a personality trait not suited to most people.

It doesn't make Michael Stewart or McCann any less knowledgeable about the game , only that this job is above their capabilities.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:59

Quite like Danny Murphy as a pundit.Michael Stewart and Stephen Thomson are like listening to Statler and Waldorf.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 14:10

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 15:41

Fancy that!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 17:09

Quote :-

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Wed 17 Oct 13:38

There's clearly a world of difference between being a pundit and managing a squad of players, keeping them all happy and on board and getting them all to pull in the same direction.

I know which one is by far the easier. The fact that Allan Shearer, one of football's highest paid pundits, couldn't stop his beloved Newcastle being relegated, speaks volumes......

To be fair to him GG he did get 2 draws and 1 win which pulled them out the relegation zone It was all down to the last day and they were defeated can't remember who by but it was an own goal as weel
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 17:20

Quote:

Buspasspar, Wed 17 Oct 17:09

Quote :-

Topic Originator: GG Riva like | nolike
Date: Wed 17 Oct 13:38

To be fair to him GG he did get 2 draws and 1 win which pulled them out the relegation zone It was all down to the last day and they were defeated can't remember who by but it was an own goal as weel

Aye, I remember they were in a bad way when he took over and he had 10 games to save them. Jock Stein would have saved them.....😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 20:22

That Michael Stewart is articulate, papers over the fact he talks absolute gobshite.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 22:11

Quote:

Lambo1885, Wed 17 Oct 20:22

That Michael Stewart is articulate, papers over the fact he talks absolute gobshite.

I'd agree he'd be an absolute nightmare to have in your dressing room if you were the manager.
That's clearly why him and Levein never got on.
Be a great guy to have a blether with afterwards though.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net