DAFC.net
Home 13 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Morton to be used as a feeder club?
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 12:27

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45889980
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Morton to be used as a feeder club?
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 12:30

rather beg, borrow or steal to pay the bills and go part time that be a pawn of A$l£y

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:27

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 17 Oct 12:30

rather beg, borrow or steal to pay the bills and go part time that be a pawn of A$l£y

While I completely understand your sentiments and concern, 're Mike Ashley, I've often wondered what it would be like for the Pars to be a feeder club for e.g. Man City. It would be brilliant to see some talented kids coming here to hone their skills, but even sadder when they were then called up by their parent club.

Wouldn't mind giving it a bash for a while though. ☺

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:31

I mind there was talk of us being spurs’ feeder club a while back. The feeder club gets paid too. I’d welcome it at our club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 13:34

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 14:38

GG dont get me wrong given the correct link i'd absolutely be in favour but once you get A$l£y controlling you its a noose around the neck just look at his desire to sell newcastle whilst still wanting 100% of his debts repaid etc.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 16:21

It would appear Falkirk are our feeder club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 16:47

Can't believe Pars fans here would welcome this.
Tear the soul out of the club and lose our individuality.

Any price for success it seems with some of you lot.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 16:50

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 16:56

Quote:

WheelKing99, Wed 17 Oct 16:50

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Wed 17 Oct 16:47

Can't believe Pars fans here would welcome this.
Tear the soul out of the club and lose our individuality.

Any price for success it seems with some of you lot.

Hardly . If an EPL club was willing to send us young talented players on loan as part of a ‘feeder’ link then surely that would be a good thing ? The talent pool in Scotland is bleak. Would certainly be worth considering.

Why? Even though it's in short supply , fans are still emotionally attracted to players who are loyal and play for the Jersey.

I'd rather be in League one or two than support a feeder team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 16:59

What about a feeder team in the Championship though?

Personally I'm attracted to good players who do a good job for the club.
The notion of players with loyalty and playing for the jersey is long gone.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 17:04

Don't want anything to do with being a feeder club. I think we're going to see more of this though if UEFA clamp down on the number of loans a club can have going out. Chelsea and Man City are really bad for stockpiling and shipping out players on loan, the vast majority of whom will never get close to making a first team appearance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 17:06

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 17:24

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 17 Oct 14:38

GG dont get me wrong given the correct link i'd absolutely be in favour but once you get A$l£y controlling you its a noose around the neck just look at his desire to sell newcastle whilst still wanting 100% of his debts repaid etc.

I absolutely wouldn't want Ashley withi 100 miles of EEP. See what He's done on Tyneside.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 19:42

Quote:

WheelKing99, Wed 17 Oct 13:34

I believe Celtic are Southamptons feeder club.

Who, in turn, are a feeder club for Liverpool.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 20:38

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 20:41

Definitely not in favour of being a feeder club, are we Pars fans or Spurs,Man City or whoever fans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 20:49

Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for over 130 million years 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 21:00

Quote:

WheelKing99, Wed 17 Oct 17:06

Dinosaurs .

Oh really?
You equate supporting a football team knowing that 5 or 6 players are only there to move on?

I'm really depressed if the majority of Pars fans think this way.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 21:03

Wouldn't see a problem with it. Just not Ashley.

Playing for the jersey etc is long gone, all we offer players is one year contracts and the odd two, so at the end of every season we'll face a decent rebuilding job, why not take some players on loan from an established team, give them experience and let us benefit.

Get a few good ones, gives us a good chance of getting promoted, having a successful season and may help us in the long run as it will give us more of an opportunity to secure players that currently wouldn't consider signing for us.

Feck sitting watching us in the Championship, League One when there is that kind of opportunity.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 21:20

Quote:

Berry, Wed 17 Oct 21:03

Wouldn't see a problem with it. Just not Ashley.

Playing for the jersey etc is long gone, all we offer players is one year contracts and the odd two, so at the end of every season we'll face a decent rebuilding job, why not take some players on loan from an established team, give them experience and let us benefit.

Get a few good ones, gives us a good chance of getting promoted, having a successful season and may help us in the long run as it will give us more of an opportunity to secure players that currently wouldn't consider signing for us.

Feck sitting watching us in the Championship, League One when there is that kind of opportunity.

Jeez this is so depressing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 23:06

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-4-life  
Date:   Wed 17 Oct 23:26

I wouldn’t have an issue with it. No one is moaning at the fact we have 2 Hearts players and a Dundee player on loan at present. It would surely be better if we could get a slightly higher class of player from an EPL club to give them game time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 05:32

Quote:

par-4-life, Wed 17 Oct 23:26

I wouldn’t have an issue with it. No one is moaning at the fact we have 2 Hearts players and a Dundee player on loan at present. It would surely be better if we could get a slightly higher class of player from an EPL club to give them game time.

2 Hearts & 2 Dundee players on loan
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 08:18

As others have pointed out, being a feeder club is not too different from where we're at, at present. We used to be a selling club, even during the halcyon days in the 60s. We paid good wages, but gates were relatively poor and TV money virtually non-existent, so we'd sell a top player each year to balance the books. Alex Ferguson, Alex Smith, Jackie Sinclair, Eric Martin and Jim Herriot, to name a few. When we were unable to replace these with cheap,local young talent, we started to go down hill.

Nowadays, we're not even a selling club. Richer clubs just cherry pick our best players whenever they like. e.g. Morris and Clark last summer. How is it any different to have signed some players for a season or two, to having them here on loan from a bigger club, especially if they add quality?

In Italy, the feeder clubs are often paid a development fee for giving loan players first team experience. I'm pretty certain our BoD would welcome such a development.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 08:29

I for one welcome our new Premiership overlords 😏

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 10:38

We wouldn't have an identity any more, clearly. At the moment, the role of the club is to win football matches to get promoted while at the same time being an important and integral part of the community. If we were a feeder club, our role would be to develop players for another club. I'm sure Man City or whomever wouldn't care if we won or lost, as long as their players got game time, good coaching and returned to them with experience. We wouldn't be doing stuff for ourselves and our town but for the benefit of some rich oligarchs halfway round the world. Sod that.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 10:50

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 11:43

I'd support anything that might improve the standard of players and football our club could offer, providing the legal terms and constraints were well thought over and considered.

As far as I am concerned, we are DAFC, aka the Pars and we will never lose our identity or our history.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 12:24

Quote:

WheelKing99, Thu 18 Oct 10:50

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 18 Oct 10:38

We wouldn't have an identity any more, clearly. At the moment, the role of the club is to win football matches to get promoted while at the same time being an important and integral part of the community. If we were a feeder club, our role would be to develop players for another club. I'm sure Man City or whomever wouldn't care if we won or lost, as long as their players got game time, good coaching and returned to them with experience. We wouldn't be doing stuff for ourselves and our town but for the benefit of some rich oligarchs halfway round the world. Sod that.

Utter nonsense.

Kelty's posts are never nonsense, but I can't agree with everything he says above. I'm not sure how we wouldn't have an identity, for example. Maybe I'm just a tad obtuse, but getting a few players on loan for a season from the same club, wouldn't mean we were no longer DAFC, imo. Sure developing players for a bigger club isn't very gratifying but then isn't that what we've done for most of our history. Nowadays, we hardly ever get a transfer fee.

When was the last time we got decent money for a player? Jackie McNamara was it?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 14:03

I'm not talking about getting a few loan players, I'm talking about being owned by/operated under the auspices of/being essentially an offshoot of another club.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 14:05

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 14:06

I did hear as a result of this that Morton are to play in back and white striped shirts from next season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 14:13

Quote:

WheelKing99, Wed 17 Oct 23:06

I’d love our team to have 2-3 EPL wonder kids in our team. I think some people are getting caught up with the word ‘feeder’. We’d still be Dunfermline Athletic but now Man Utd for example, send us a couple of loan players. It’s got absolutely heehaw to do with identity.

Agree wholeheartedly with all of that but wouldn't want anyone from Man United. They are the biggest pile of gash from the 1st team down to the under 8's.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 17:39

I think the difference between this an loan deals is that on many occasions they are there with a view to signing a more permanent deal later.
Being a feeder club is much different and deals done that they must play X amount of games etc which then diminishes the managers role at a club.
I agree totally with Kelty Par on this.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 18:51

Quote:

kelty_par, Thu 18 Oct 14:03

I'm not talking about getting a few loan players, I'm talking about being owned by/operated under the auspices of/being essentially an offshoot of another club.

Cheers for explaining that for those now operating at Foondy level...☺

I certainly wouldn't want that sort of set up at the Pars.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 18 Oct 23:47

I agree with kelty_par on this.

At present we have an identity as Dunfermline Athletic FC, with no allegiance to or connection with any other football club. We stand or fall by what DAFC's directors, management, players and supporters can achieve as a club, and any commercial arrangement that prejudices or constrains any of that freedom of action is dangerous.

Also, and significantly, DAFC Ltd is almost completely owned by Pars United Community Interest Company, and I would hope that the PUCIC Board would not look favourably on any move to link DAFC with another football club in another town/country. In law, a CIC must work for the good of the community, and when Pars United acquired the controlling interest in DAFC they stated "...... a CIC perfectly fits our ideal of a widely owned community football club with its roots and aspirations firmly bedded, in our case, in the community of West Fife."

Like any legal arrangement the devil is in the detail, so it may be that Morton will manage to secure an arrangement that protects all their freedom to act solely in the interests of GMFC, but (IMO) it is a perilous path to take in search of short-term advantage.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 4000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 00:33

It is an interesting debate, this one. I would say be careful what you wish for as there can be pitfalls to this approach. Other sports codes operate feeder club systems and there are some common factors. For example:

- the feeder club often ends up wearing the primary team's colours

- the primary team has priority/favoured status when the feeder club places a player on the transfer market. This can prove costly.

- the feeder club has to guarantee a minimum number of appearances for a loaned player, which is not very helpful if the guy is gash.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 07:21

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 19 Oct 00:33

It is an interesting debate, this one. I would say be careful what you wish for as there can be pitfalls to this approach. Other sports codes operate feeder club systems and there are some common factors. For example:

- the feeder club often ends up wearing the primary team's colours

- the primary team has priority/favoured status when the feeder club places a player on the transfer market. This can prove costly.

- the feeder club has to guarantee a minimum number of appearances for a loaned player, which is not very helpful if the guy is gash.

This is my concern too oz.
The managers job is greatly diminished when he has to guarantee a minimum number of appearances for these players even if they just don't fit in/ get on well with teammates etc etc.

Why would any Pars fan want to have anything to do with this?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 08:39

I had a longish rambling post, but Kelsey, Stanza, Oz and AAPS have summed my view up perfectly already.

Recent history should have taught any club in Scotland to think twice before jumping into bed with businessmen promising investment and success. The question should always be ‘what’s in it for them’ which is rarely the best interest of the club.

Post Edited (Fri 19 Oct 08:53)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 09:39

Quote:

StuPar82, Fri 19 Oct 08:39

I had a longish rambling post, but Kelsey, Stanza, Oz and AAPS have summed my view up perfectly already.

Recent history should have taught any club in Scotland to think twice before jumping into bed with businessmen promising investment and success. The question should always be ‘what’s in it for them’ which is rarely the best interest of the club.

Aye, some of the informative posts on this thread have provoked a complete U-turn on my part. ☺ Far fewer pros than cons, it would seem....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 10:36

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 10:40

I remember we were seriously looking into having a Lithuanian club as a feeder to us at one point-I assume it never materialised.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 10:59

I thought we were fostering a relationship with Sunderland?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 13:33

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 13:46

There's a basic flaw in that post, Stevie. Can you spot it, boys and girls?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 13:57

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tribbiani  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 15:24

Sorry mate but that's utter shi... eh I mean, I disagree. I rate Nick Clark but he needed service to be effective. Dobbie is playing at least one level below he should be.

We absolutely have to nullify him tomorrow. I'd drop one of the strikers and bring in Beadling. Vincent could man mark Dobbie and we could maybe let the wide players push on so whoever is up front isn't too isolated.

The comment about him not being Messi... Even the wee fella would accept the goals per game ratio Dobbie has this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 15:26

Quote:

Tribbiani, Fri 19 Oct 15:24

Sorry mate but that's utter shi... eh I mean, I disagree. I rate Nick Clark but he needed service to be effective. Dobbie is playing at least one level below he should be.

We absolutely have to nullify him tomorrow. I'd drop one of the strikers and bring in Beadling. Vincent could man mark Dobbie and we could maybe let the wide players push on so whoever is up front isn't too isolated.

The comment about him not being Messi... Even the wee fella would accept the goals per game ratio Dobbie has this season.

Bollocks. That was meant for the QoS thread. In my defence, I'm fkn steaming
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 16:51

^^^ Lad

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 17:20

Keep the bia hoi keep flowing, Tribbiani!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 15:57

Quote:

StuPar82, Fri 19 Oct 17:20

Keep the bia hoi keep flowing, Tribbiani!

He ken's the score.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net