DAFC.net
Home 13 July 2020 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Record goalscorer in first half
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 01:05

What is the most goals an individual player has ever scored in the first half of a match at top level?

Following James Forrest of Celtic’s four goal burst against St. Johnstone recently the question was aired in The Guardian sports section. Only league fixtures count, since there have been some spectacular mismatches involving non-league teams in cup ties. Harry Melrose equalled Forrest’s tally in 1959 in our 10-1 defeat of Partick Thistle when he netted four of his six goals before half time. (I strongly suspect that the 7 first half goals we scored that day might be a UK record.)

However, despite the inconclusive musings in The Guardian, it seems the record holder is a former Pars player: the unlamented Hugh Maxwell who played briefly and without distinction at EEP in the mid 1960s. In December 1962 he was playing for Falkirk against Clyde, his debut in fact, and according to the Falkirk website Maxwell had bagged 6 goals by half time, including a three minute hat-trick, on a water-logged pitch. He scored once more in the second half as Falkirk ran out 7-3 winners, with his team mates desperately trying to set him up to equal, if not beat, the McGrory record of 8 goals scored in one game. (No point in mentioning who McGrory’s opponents were on the day.)

By way of coincidence, the previous week in December 1962 the legendary Alan Gilzean had scored 7 goals against Queen of the South, helped by his colliding with goalkeeper George Farm early in the match. Farm suffered concussion and was taken to hospital, so playing against ten men with a makeshift keeper (no subs back then) no doubt contributed to the goalfest. But I can’t find the times of the goals in Dundee’s eventual 10-2 victory so I will assume that Hughie Maxwell holds the UK record for most first half goals in a top division fixture.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Record goalscorer in first half
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 09:23

Interesting thread, Sammer. I know you said only league games count, but I can't think of any involving Pars, so I'll take this thread off on a tangent.

In the 1963-64 Scottish Cup, the Pars met Fraserburgh in the 2nd round after a 1st round bye and won 7-0, with the irrepressible Charlie Dickson bagging 5. I can't remember if he scored them all in the first half but his team mates spent most of the 2nd trying to tee him up for a double hattrick, but he failed miserably, even running from the half way line, rounding the goalkeeper and then past the post.

The Pars scored for fun in their run to the semi-finals, also winning 6-1 away to East Stirlingshire and another 7-0, at home to 2nd Division leaders Ayr, before going down narrowly, 1-0 at Hampden, to eventual winners, Rangers.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 14:26

I hope one of our forwards fails as miserably tomorrow. 5 would do me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 19:52

Quote:

JTH123, Fri 19 Oct 14:26

I hope one of our forwards fails as miserably tomorrow. 5 would do me.
😃

For clarity, I did mean Charlie D's efforts to add a 6th goal were laughable, JTH, rather than the 5 he did score, of course, but I'm sure you knew that.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 21:27

Just teasing. 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Fri 19 Oct 21:56

I note Bunny Bell scored 5 of his 9 when Tranmere put 13 past Oldham on Boxing Day 1935 in the first half. Rovers were 8-1 up at the break.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 13:08

Charlie D netted 6 v St. Mirren at EEP very early 1960’s. Pars played in pink with white candy stripes - don’t think all in first half.

Hugh Maxwell was the most unlikely looking footballer - he had a humphy back.

I think he stood in for Jim Herriot second half v Hibs after JH was injured, pre subs. Had a decent effort as the 1-1 score suggests.

One for Sammer to confirm .

Post Edited (Sat 20 Oct 13:09)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2020 -- DAFC.net