DAFC.net
Home 17 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Subs
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 16:51

Anyone got a clue what goes on in AJ's mind?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Subs
Topic Originator: theweepar  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 16:52

Nope
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC2015  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:00

As said on other thread by myself, 1 position off 1 position on, striker on striker off, instead of going for it!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:01

Clueless AJ again

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:18

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:20

Should have taken Martin off 10 mins earlier, he was knackered and then got eased out of it for thier goal.e

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:27

After the substitutions why was Conolly sitting in the centre forward position?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dalgety_Par  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:27

AJs decisions cost us today. Massively.

It's common knowledge that Lionel Messi kept a photo of Hamish French by his bedside as inspiration every morning!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:40

Baffling is all I can say. Lost for words. We were crying out all game for someone up front with some physical presence who could hold the ball up.
Never addressed that and adds insult to injury by bringing on that big lump, Hippolyte, playing him wide and moving an even smaller player than Faisal into that central position.
Clueless

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:56

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:57

Fais who is hopeless is having his best game although should have scored and we replace him with a guy who can’t be bothered and put the smallest guy up front.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 17:58

Totally baffled by the subs as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 18:23

Groundhog-Day..........

0-1 with 7 mins to go.

Take of a defender & put Muirhead on upfront, I would have put Durnan or Ashcroft upfront as well. Why not what have you to lose?

I won't make next week and the sad part is I'm not that bothered.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 18:32

Durnan is injured. Otherwise ok ;)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 18:37

The subs were a Joke , stroke of genius putting the smallest guy on the park in the middle and bringing Hippolyte on its obvious by his manner he doesn,t give a s--t,

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 18:59

Durnan has a groin strain, he played through it against Falkirk and made it worse so is out for a few weeks.

The subs today were really poor and probably explains why he hardly makes any until the dying minutes.

From a guy that kept saying prior to the start of the season the amount of flexibility he has available to him and options, it really was abysmal today.

I'm not really bothered about him taking FEB off, he had one of his better games but was still poor. It was replacing him with Hyppolyte. Thought ok, going to try him up front, no sticks him on the wing and leaves two midgets up front in Ryan and Connolly, latter not being a striker when you have Keena and Muirhead on the bench.

After the first sub, what made it worse was it took a long time to even try to start using him, all the play was down the other wing which made it impossible for Hippo to make any impact.

Anyway, was pretty certain Keena would come on but to replace Ryan and keep Connolly up front was just bizarre.

Honestly need to understand his thought process as that was mind boggling.

Post Edited (Sat 20 Oct 18:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 19:09

The second substitution to all of us watching the game seemed crazy, however perhaps AJ knew better.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 19:40

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 20:14

We have no shape. The game needed width, someone like Williamson could have made a big difference today. Getting rid of Cardle in the summer was a horrendous decision
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 20 Oct 20:44

From my seat in the centre of the Norrie we seemed to have plenty of width however what we lacked was a winger that could beat players, all of the build up was so slow that the QOS defenders had so much time to get back it was unreal. AJ was a winger himself so I'm surprised that doesn't want to play with one. Today we could have played till Christmas and still wouldn't score. AJ on his post match comment thinks that possession wins games, no AJ goals win games your team doesn't use the correct tactics to score goals against well organised teams. Perhaps he should look at the tactics used by the Edinburgh City manager against Arbroath.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 21:28

Great examples in the Everton game yesterday and the Arsenal game tonight of how to affect a game with clever use of subs and tweaking of formations
I know it doesn’t always work but it’s energising when it does

By the way, some great goals by Arsenal. The third was an exceptional team goal

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 08:13

Like hudza and eastendalloapar and others, I remain incredulous that Joe Cardle was allowed to leave.Of course there may be reasons for that which are confidential.I respect that.He is a huge loss.

To have replaced him with Aiden Connolly, released by a club in the sixth tier of English football, is astonishing.Aiden cannot get to the bye line or put in an accurate cross or take a decent corner or free kick.

Turning to the substitutions, and as others have said: I was convinced Robbie Muirhead and Tom Beadling would come on.

Like Aiden:Hippo and Joe and Danny are not the calibre yet all three were involved.They are,clearly,not first choice.

If a Supporters' Council were held ,many genuine points of concern could be raised.These meetings are hardly pitchforks and torches.I find they are sympathetic,intelligent and articulate.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 09:09

SP, I think we know by now the players you rate and the players you don't. I'm sure we all have different opinions on that but you write off Connolly because he played in the sixth tier of English football and also write off Devine who has played all his career at a higher level than the Scottish Championship.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hudza  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 09:44

Devine is shocking, absolutely shocking
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 10:16

Joe Cardle would have no bearing on this team. He couldn’t get a game last season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 10:28

This is the Joe Cardle who scored ten goals last season,I presume.

Wee Eck :I would love to be proved wrong ,I really would.

Given the height of my playing career was the University of Stirling second team, I think AJ and Sandy know more about it than I do.

However,in my defence, Danny,Joe and Hippo tend to warm the bench now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 10:55

When you have a squad of 22 there are always going to be players who don't start regularly. It doesn't mean they are bad players. Joe was warming the bench for much of last season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 11:05

and the season before that...

"However,in my defence, Danny,Joe and Hippo tend to warm the bench now"

where was Mvoto most of last season?
Wedderburn majority of the second half of last season when Beadling, Vincent, Craigen "transformed" our midfield?...

Thomson, Connolly and Hippolyte are different types of players in different roles also.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 22:48

After about an hour, I was thinking that this was where a good manager would earn his corn by making the key decisions. Be patient, or make a change. Stick or twist.

I felt we had dominated possession, but not created many chances. Malaury Martin clearly has a different mentality – perhaps more of a continental one – of keeping possession to control the game. Give and get. Pass and move. Keep the ball, keep the ball, keep the ball, then play the killer pass. (As it happened, he did neither at the critical time…). Whether this is our latest “new” way of playing and the players aren’t quite used to it is perhaps a subject for another time.

Anyway – on the topic of substitutions (or not). We were on top, so perhaps we keep probing and pushing and eventually something would give. Or perhaps we change something and give them a different problem to solve (and possibly remove our edge). Get it right (or get lucky) and you’re a genius. Get it wrong, and you’re one step closer to being out the door.

Someone said (possibly GG) that AJ is of the view that substitutions can take too long to get into the game (which begs the question – why make them, or why make them late?). Most other managers will make more use of their subs, either through “impact” subs or by changing tactics or formation. AJ appears out of step with the herd (which is not necessarily a bad thing) but he needs to be able to justify this, IMO.

I suspect (without any analysis) that he has a tendency to go like-for-like. Perhaps the failure of his 3 at the back strategy has cemented his reluctance for radical change but he doesn’t have the distraction what to do with Nicky Clark (if that ever was an issue).

I’m not sure you could class moving Connolly to the middle as like-for-like so that had the element of surprise, if nothing else. I don’t think it had much else going for it (and AJ soon changed his mind, which may suggest he wasn’t completely sure about what he was doing). A bench of 7 should give you plenty options.

As it happened, the changes he made failed (and it wasn’t particularly clear what they were intended to achieve); neither of which looks good on your report card.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Oct 11:14

It would be good to see Robbie Muirhead and Tom Beadling come on at some point today if circumstances allow.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Sat 27 Oct 11:28

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: