DAFC.net
Home 14 October 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 It's all God's fault......
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 07:13

In many cultures around the world, God is often blamed for anything bad which happens, from famine and poverty to wars and natural disasters. This is patent nonsense, of course, because if there is a God and He's a kind, caring and loving God, as described by theologians, then he plainly wouldn't orchestrate such evil. Conversely, when things go well, the same people rarely give God any credit, but put it down to the consequences of their own actions.

When I was growing up watching the Pars in the 60s, my heroes were the Pars players of the time and some fantastic ones we had, too. During that decade, we were managed by Jock Stein, Willie Cunningham and George Farm. Stein and Farm remain the only Pars managers to win the Scottish Cup and Cunningham came within a whisker of winning the League and Cup double in 1965. I can't remember ever giving these managers any credit when the Pars were successful but quick to blame them for fielding some less popular players when we lost a game.

Blaming the manager for every poor result, is far too simplistic, imo. For sure, he has to accept some responsibility - it's his job to get the best out of his players and prepare them physically, mentally and tactically, to win as many games as possible. Players are only human though and quite often, things don't work out as they and their manager had planned. Sometimes that's down to the quality of their opponents and the way they're set up. In games between well matched teams, the difference can often be down to pure luck, or an individual error at either end of the pitch.

Yesterday's game is a case in point. Some decent chances created were not converted, while Martin losing possession in midfield incurred the maximum punishment. I think the goal was QOS only shot on target. So while I can understand the anger, frustration and disappointment we all shared at full time, the vilification of our manager was well over the top.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: It's all God's fault......
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:14

The tiny minority who resorted to profanities at FT let themselves down and the Club down.

The Board will be in no doubt this morning about the strength of feeling ,not least because the moderates have now joined the criticism.

The OP "A calm head needed" sums the situation up superbly.

Will the Board ignore the strength of feeling?I doubt it.

Gates are down 17% and some threaten to suspend payment to the Centenary Club.

As for God: be very wary. Queen Of The South appears in the bible.......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:15

At least they had a shot on target, don't think we did
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:27

You must have been at a different game from me if you think we didn't have a shot on target.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:33

What have you been on GG?

I also supported the Pars way back and highly praised those good and successful managers and players.

Equally during the poor years, I and others criticised the bad managers and players

AJ falls somewhere in between the two standards, but has had his day imo and yesterday's utter mince of a game was down to his ineptitude.

Maybe those who don't like to hear harsh criticism should find another sport to follow, as those who do criticise have very often been told by certain posters on this forum.

We cannot go on for ever saying praise the Lord and be thankful that we have a club.
First and foremost, football, like any sport, football is a form of entertainment and if those fans who feel they are being shortchanged in that area, give vent to their feelings, they can hardly be blamed.

As for bad language and profanities, yes they are not nice, but maybe rather than just condemning it, people need to consider whY it happens and look for solutions, rather than consistently defending the indefensible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Murphy  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:37

Perhaps an explanation of the substitutions made and what he was trying to achieve might go some way alleviate some of the anger and frustrations vented towards him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:39

You have it completely the wrong way round about how the religious view God.
Anything good that happens God gets all the credit.
Bad stuff has nothing to do with him.
Children are being killed as witches in places like Nigeria and Papua New Guinea when bad stuff like crop failure happens.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 08:47

What did the board see in last seasons performances to warrant a 2 year contract?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:06

God gave him the 2 year deal.

What a load of dross GG
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:09

Quote:

Tenruh, Sun 21 Oct 08:47

What did the board see in last seasons performances to warrant a 2 year contract?

Undefeated in the last 11 league games of the season and but for a dodgy red card we may well have got through the 2 games against Dundee United.
Was it the correct choice? I don't know.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:11

Or a last min goal from Clark against ICT?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:18

Quote:

1981par, Sun 21 Oct 09:06

God gave him the 2 year deal.

What a load of dross GG

Well my post obviously went right over your head, if that's your interpretation of it, so let's just draw a veil over it, shall we?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:20

Maybe a shroud would be more appropriate given the religious connotations.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:21

Quote:

sadindiefreak, Sun 21 Oct 08:39

You have it completely the wrong way round about how the religious view God.
Anything good that happens God gets all the credit.
Bad stuff has nothing to do with him.
Children are being killed as witches in places like Nigeria and Papua New Guinea when bad stuff like crop failure happens.

Let's agree to disagree on that, SIF. In my experience, folk are always saying "Why does God allow this or that to happen in the world?"

Have you honestly never come across that? It's particularly prevalent in Mediterranean countries.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 09:38

It would be a good time to have a listen to 'With God on our Side'

Mind you some might say there is no good time to listen to Bob Dylan, but try the words anyway.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 10:47

Quote:

mach1, Sun 21 Oct 08:33

What have you been on GG?

I also supported the Pars way back and highly praised those good and successful managers and players.

Equally during the poor years, I and others criticised the bad managers and players

AJ falls somewhere in between the two standards, but has had his day imo and yesterday's utter mince of a game was down to his ineptitude.

Maybe those who don't like to hear harsh criticism should find another sport to follow, as those who do criticise have very often been told by certain posters on this forum.

We cannot go on for ever saying praise the Lord and be thankful that we have a club.
First and foremost, football, like any sport, football is a form of entertainment and if those fans who feel they are being shortchanged in that area, give vent to their feelings, they can hardly be blamed.

As for bad language and profanities, yes they are not nice, but maybe rather than just condemning it, people need to consider whY it happens and look for solutions, rather than consistently defending the indefensible.

Mach. I went to the games in the Stein, Cunningham and Farm years. I have programmes where those three had articles asking the fans to get off the players backs. I can remember the team being booed off the park often. We overachieved then, and some say underachieving now, but realistically what is our level now given the restraints we have.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 11:14

I'm not into the over or under achieving arguments.

I'm about wanting to watch decent football, whether it be in Stein's time or now.

Sick of these debates now, but whatever way you paint it, football managers stand or fall by their results. Even George Farm got punted as soon as our high standards, part of which he was responsible for, started to slip.
There were of course, other factors around his termination.

I'm sure any of us who were around we're highly critical of our performances under such as Forsyth, Scott, Stanton, Munro, Hay, Kenny and a few others, while, in general, praising Stein, Leishman, Paton and Calderwood (albeit under circumstances which turned out bad).

The main difference for me being that the latter group, motivated the team and the fans, by playing exciting attacking football, built on a foundation of decent defences.

AJ has become predictable, boring and many fans are responding, the only way they feel they can, without, yet, abandoning the club as has happened in the past when we were often at the wrong end of the football ladders and playing rubbish football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 11:41

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 12:50

Back in the JC days I got a look in our dressing room one day and there was a wee note pinned up on the board that read "in Brew we trust".
And we did.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 13:45

I am sure that God is quite neutral about sports fixtures although I do believe that in the case of Eric Liddel of chariots of fire fame that there was a fulfilment of the scripture verse that God honours those who honour Him. I am not sure that God is all that interested in those selfish prayers or signs seeking to invoke His favour on one particular team against another. But don't forget that there are forces of evil at work in the world as well as the power of God and that will continue until the New heavens and earth come into being.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 13:55

Quote:

Paralex, Sun 21 Oct 13:45

I am sure that God is quite neutral about sports fixtures although I do believe that in the case of Eric Liddel of chariots of fire fame that there was a fulfilment of the scripture verse that God honours those who honour Him. I am not sure that God is all that interested in those selfish prayers or signs seeking to invoke His favour on one particular team against another. But don't forget that there are forces of evil at work in the world as well as the power of God and that will continue until the New heavens and earth come into being.

Of course God helps those who ask in prayer. 😂😂😂😂
https://m.webtoons.com/en/comedy/adventures-of-god/ep-1-answering-prayers/viewer?title_no=853&episode_no=1&webtoon-platform-redirect=true

Post Edited (Sun 21 Oct 13:55)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 18:36

Queen of the south are the only football team mentioned in the Bible. Would imagine God favours them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 18:40

Very good hp.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 19:05

Not so hasty HP.Brazilian team Corinthians probably edge it by two books.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 20:18

Very good, richie. :)

A few other examples here, eg Arsenal, Bury, Grasshoppers
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/aug/01/the-knowledge-archive-special-bible

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 20:20

ooft..someone's winning a pub quiz with that lot!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 20:21

That's a revelation to me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 20:49

Are we absolutely sure God is a man though?
Just asking 😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Oct 23:52

God is Spirit, infinite and eternal, Widtink, and the Lord Jesus refers to Him as His Father so we would have to reckon that Jesus considered Him male and I doubt I would argue with Him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 00:07

Ref: Paralex
Date: Sun 21 Oct 23:52

<<< God is Spirit, infinite and eternal, Widtink, and the Lord Jesus refers to Him as His Father so we would have to reckon that Jesus considered Him male and I doubt I would argue with Him. >>>

You mean you doubt you would question the Bible, or have you any other "evidence?"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 01:02

Quote:

widtink, Sun 21 Oct 20:49

Are we absolutely sure God is a man though?
Just asking 😂

We can be absolutely sure he isn't. He said so himself.
New International Version
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Now the fact I referred to him as he has no doubt confused a few.
https://www.compellingtruth.org/God-male-or-female.html

Post Edited (Mon 22 Oct 01:11)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 01:15

Maybe Psalm Allerdice had Devine connections.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 01:20

http://blog.bible/bible-blog/entry/6-bible-verses-for-football-season-and-an-extra-point

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 01:40

"Psalm Allerdice"....Well played.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 02:36

Your absolute assuredness seems to contradict the words of Jesus in the Lord's prayer "Our Father etc." but probably not the most fruitful of debates to pursue, Parrot.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 10:08

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 22 Oct 02:36

Your absolute assuredness seems to contradict the words of Jesus in the Lord's prayer "Our Father etc." but probably not the most fruitful of debates to pursue, Parrot.

Thats why I posted the link in the next post.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: