DAFC.net
Home 11 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Sean Byrne
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 11:29

In the Courier today, thanking Jim McIntyre for giving him his first professional contract.
Also says that McIntyre told Gary Holt that one of his mistakes was not playing Byrne.

Now, the boy that was deemed too lightweight for us is a regular with one of the hardest teams in the league.
It's ironic, but probably happens often in football.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Sean Byrne
Topic Originator: WheelKing99  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 11:38

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 11:47

This subject has been done to death. He was not good enough with us. He’s moved on and done well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 11:56

I'm just happy that Mach1 spelled his name correctly.
Lost count of the number of threads about him spelled as Bryne.
Well played mach 1 👏👏👏😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FergPar  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:00

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:01

That just might have been someone fishing, Widders?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:03

Alright, it should be Shaun, unless I'm wrong again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:08

Couldnae tackle a fish supper
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:10

Not many of our current players could tackle a bag of chips.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevopars1984  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:36

Said it all along we should never have let him go. Would walk into our team easily
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:43

I was just saying to no-one, just what .net needs.....another thread about Shaun Byrne.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:44

too lightweight then look at the midfield for the goal we lost on sat

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:44

Is there a need for a weekly Shaun Byrne thread? He would not have turned in to the player he has had he stayed with us

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Turps  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 12:52

I liked Byrne at east end.

Should have kept him over Lewis Spence at the time but Spence had a year to run on his contract and Byrne was out of contract if I remember rightly?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 13:01

It is quite common in football for players who were rejected by one club to go on to be successful with another; in fact I would say it's the norm. So what? Good luck to him.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 13:01

FFS The Rock would've hit the deck after that challenge. As clear a foul as I've ever seen.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 13:08

So nothing.

You don't have to read or comment on any thread.

I posted it, because I feel it is typical of Byrne to say something decent about a person, with no agenda, no bitterness and no sarcasm.

So unlike this forum, in fact, a refreshing change.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 13:19

If that was directed at me, mach1, I wasn't questioning your right to start the thread. I do find the 'we should never have let him go' comments a bit tiresome though. It's not as if we're the only club this has happened to.

I don't know Shaun Byrne but any comments I've heard him make on his time at the Pars have been complimentary and respectful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 13:26

That's good, but I didn't say we should never have let him go.

I just respect most of what I hear from the guy, as you probably do too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 14:02

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 14:08

Problem with byrne is that he cant play in a 442 and we have played 442 for as long as I can remember.

Is no surprise he's better in a midfield 3 and playing with some quality players.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 14:27

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 14:32

It's obvious how this thread would go.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 15:06

Shaun has AJ to thank for his improved performances in the last 3 seasons.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 15:07

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 15:26

These threads are always quite funny. Colin Nish and Billy Mehmet became Pele and Zico by doing alright (and no more than alright) at Killie and St Mirren respectively. Neither of them were over night successes either at their new clubs, it took a bit of time for them both to settle in.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out for a player and they move on and do better somewhere else.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 15:54

That's it.

Sadly, not too many come our way, not in recent seasons anyway.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 15:56

Aye and we should have kept Sol Bamba too cos he's now playing in the Premiership.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc111  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 18:21

In all honesty, I'm not sure I would have Byrne over Martin or Vincent/Beadling. It works well at Livi as they play a 5 man midfield, I reckon if he were to play in our 442 he would be left exposed at times. In the games he played against us and the few Livi games I watched last season he wasn't a standout. Good to see him doing well for himself and he has obviously improved as a player since leaving Dunfermline but not a huge loss imo. A fully fit Beadling is an improvement
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stevopars1984  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 18:46

I think the majority of fans wanted byrne to stay but some felt he wasn’t tough enough. He has proved he is good enough for the top flight and may move on again. We could do with Byrne in our team now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 20:39

Best thing Shaun did was leave the Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 20:55

Quote:

Stevopars1984, Mon 22 Oct 18:46

I think the majority of fans wanted byrne to stay but some felt he wasn’t tough enough. He has proved he is good enough for the top flight and may move on again. We could do with Byrne in our team now.

This sounds a little bit like rose-tinted revisionism to me, Steveo. With all due respect to Shaun, he was very technically gifted but I can’t recall many who felt him moving on was too big a blow for the club at the time.

For those trying to pin this on AJ, don’t forget he played under JJ and Potter as well.

What he’s achieved at Livi is astonishing though and fair credit to him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 21:06

Agree about the best thing for him was leaving the club. Still believe it's a massive loss for us, the boy is an ultimate professional, keeps himself fit, determined, dedicated, doesn't drink etc, and he had so much potential.

I'm just glad he's doing well for himself, club truly cocked up on him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 21:23

So many geniuses with the benefit of hindsight,when he played for Dunfermline he was non existent in games,often lightweight( I recall him being taken off at half time in one game where he was getting bullied)

There's definitely a case to be made for saying the system didn't suit him like a few others and undoubtedly we did not get the best out of him he's turned out to be a cracking player for Livvy,however those saying that it was a mistake to let him go should try putting last Saturdays lottery numbers on today, we can all be clever after the event and I don't recall many threads saying otherwise at the time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 21:32

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Mon 22 Oct 21:23

So many geniuses with the benefit of hindsight,when he played for Dunfermline he was non existent in games,often lightweight( I recall him being taken off at half time in one game where he was getting bullied)

There's definitely a case to be made for saying the system didn't suit him like a few others and undoubtedly we did not get the best out of him he's turned out to be a cracking player for Livvy,however those saying that it was a mistake to let him go should try putting last Saturdays lottery numbers on today, we can all be clever after the event and I don't recall many threads saying otherwise at the time.

Well there were a fair few that were disappointed at the time he left. Lightweight he was at times, but is that really the main reason why we let him go, madness if that was the case. Look at FEB, many said he was lightweight before that crazy 30 season, granted he's back to gash now.

The one game he was hooked at half time, everyone has a stinker, Aird his first game for us being an example, all this season so far we could and probably should have took people off early.

Dunfermline have a knack of bringing in decent players and not getting the best of them. Moffat, top goalscorer for Ayr, struggled to hit the net for us. Gavin Reilly, proven goalscorer, fluffed it with him. Look at Shankland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 22:02

To be fair, Byrne opted to leave, presumably for the opportunity of regular first team football. I have seen or heard nothing to suggest AJ didn’t want to keep him, but I doubt he would have been a regular starter, given he wasn’t here under AJ, Potter or JJ excluding the admin days when it was all hands to the pump.

Moff - played well here, just couldn’t hit a Coo’s ar$e with a banjo. Returned to his hometown team, he wouldn’t have got a start ahead of McManus.

Reilly - never worked out here, granted but had a blinder of a season under AJ at QoS. Sure he was carrying an injury with us as well.

Shankland - admits he has finally screwed the nut at Ayr and his goal tally and current form is his reward. Didn’t standout here prior to that... or at Aberdeen or at St. Mirren for that matter.

You also fail to mention any of the players who “blossomed” under AJ and either progressed their careers or kick-started them: Morris, McManus, Aird, McMullen, Clark, Faiss (first time round), McAusland. Easy to cherrypick only the examples which suit your conclusion. 🤔
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 22:03

My point being, that Shaun needed to move to improve. If he’d have stayed on that season (our first in the championship) he would really have struggled. That extra season in League 1 with a new team and new beginning was the making of him.

We couldn’t have done that for him. AJ was right to let him go.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 22:09

Quote:

rossmcno1, Mon 22 Oct 22:03

My point being, that Shaun needed to move to improve. If he’d have stayed on that season (our first in the championship) he would really have struggled. That extra season in League 1 with a new team and new beginning was the making of him.

We couldn’t have done that for him. AJ was right to let him go.

Not sure if this is in response to me Ross, but if so I agree. I was responding to Berry’s point.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Oct 23:06

Stu was not a response to you, your post must have literally just gone up before mines 👍

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 06:42

Sometimes managers get it wrong in releasing players and that's been the case with Byrne. It happens and it's credit to the lad for getting his head down and working hard on his game. I can't remember too many people saying it was such a massively wrong decision at the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 09:28

Kittens and puppies are much cuter than demonic creatures from Hell or freakish alternate dimensions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 10:32

Maybe the player learnt from mistakes made whilst here and improved his game elsewhere?

Kevin De Bruyne was told he was not good enough for Chelsea? Lakaku?

Larger scale but same scenario

Fair play to him, learn adapt and move on.

HF05
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 10:51

"To be fair, Byrne opted to leave"

something that keeps getting overlooked, he moved on as did we
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 12:45

Quote:

StuPar82, Mon 22 Oct 22:02

To be fair, Byrne opted to leave, presumably for the opportunity of regular first team football. I have seen or heard nothing to suggest AJ didn’t want to keep him, but I doubt he would have been a regular starter, given he wasn’t here under AJ, Potter or JJ excluding the admin days when it was all hands to the pump.

Moff - played well here, just couldn’t hit a Coo’s ar$e with a banjo. Returned to his hometown team, he wouldn’t have got a start ahead of McManus.

Reilly - never worked out here, granted but had a blinder of a season under AJ at QoS. Sure he was carrying an injury with us as well.

Shankland - admits he has finally screwed the nut at Ayr and his goal tally and current form is his reward. Didn’t standout here prior to that... or at Aberdeen or at St. Mirren for that matter.

You also fail to mention any of the players who “blossomed” under AJ and either progressed their careers or kick-started them: Morris, McManus, Aird, McMullen, Clark, Faiss (first time round), McAusland. Easy to cherrypick only the examples which suit your conclusion. 🤔

Who blossomed under AJ? McManus started off well then turned into a dud, can't fault his work ethic though. Aird never got the opportunity to flourish, he was kept on the bloody bench for so long before we used him. Clark.....well there's been plenty of posts about him. FEB, the one season where he scored for fun against teams like Stenhousemuir, he managed to pi$$ him off as well, and thought bringing him back would be fantastic for us, times a healer and all that....naw.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 13:35

Quote:

StuPar82, Mon 22 Oct 22:02

Thinking about it, there are not that many people who we have actually seen much improvement in. Those players you mentioned arrived as half decent players and left pretty much as we found then. I couldn't really say that they improved a great deal in their time here
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 17:17

"Thinking about it, there are not that many people who we have actually seen much improvement in. Those players you mentioned arrived as half decent players and left pretty much as we found then. I couldn't really say that they improved a great deal in their time here"

Go back to Potter/JJ/McIntyre and what players have we actually improved or taken to a higher level.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 18:21

At a higher level just now.
Scougall, Crossan, Byrne, Millen, Spence.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: