DAFC.net
Home 19 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Jim Leishman Interview(s)
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 20:40

Take a break from fretting about current results, sit back and enjoy the Heritage Trust interview(s) with Jim Leishman OBE.

So far we have two episodes recorded and edited, and we've only reached 1989/90! This could be a long series ....

You can view the videos by clicking on these links:

Jim Leishman (Part One)

Jim Leishman (Part Two)

The full list of Heritage trust videos can be seen HERE

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Jim Leishman Interview(s)
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 22:25

Just watched part 1. The enthusiasm for the game in general and the Pars in particular is infectious.

If I had a pound for every time he said great though, I could buy a Ferrari lol.

The game was a lot tougher in his days. I don't think our present day players could cope.
Imagine what John Cushley would have done to the QOS blonde guy after his shoulder barge on Martin.

Sadly Cushley died of MND in 2008, 2 years after wee Jinky, who Leish also had funny recollections of.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 23 Oct 23:07

I liked the story of Barry Mitchell and Willie Callaghan when Mitchell was going to Aberdeen.

When Barry Met Cally ....

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 03:41

Jim is one of the most engaging men to talk to. He has a wonderful ability to connect with people. Take for instance the positive comments from the disgruntled Falkirk fan on here a couple of weeks ago.

I really enjoyed sitting back and listening to his stories on those videos today. And it is no surprise at all that despite him having been talking non-stop for the best part of a couple of hours, he still has almost 30 more years to cover!

I won’t be alone in looking forward to the next episodes.

A great man in so many ways.

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 06:28

Fantastic interviews with Jim Leishman. He is a legend of the Pars. I played against him when he played for Dunfermline United and I played for the mighty Railway Club!, and he was not shy in those days I can assure you. I can clearly remember being in Wolverhampton, when the result came through that we had beaten Rangers 4 3 in 1972. I was ecstatic and couldn't believe the result. He just loves the Pars and as Oz par said I am looking forward to the next instalments.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 07:17

Given he transformed the club,I would have expected one Stand to be named after him by now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 08:06

Quote:

Sliema Par, Wed 24 Oct 07:17

Given he transformed the club,I would have expected one Stand to be named after him by now.

That's a good shout, SP. If we were to go down that road, we should also name a stand after Jock Stein, for his previous transformation of our club. I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the Pars had achieved precious little before Jock arrived at EEP. (Along with Stirling Albion, we were a bit of a yoyo club between the two divisions in the 50s.)

With all due respect to Norrie McCathie, who was a great servant to the Pars and would almost certainly have gone on to manage the Pars, his achievements were not as significant as those of Leishman or Stein, imo. The decision to name the West stand after Norrie, probably had more to do with the circumstances surrounding his tragic, premature death and the emotional period which followed. The previous owners of our club resisted any such naming suggestions as they were hoping a rich sponsor would come ridingbover the horizon with shedloads of cash in exchange for naming rights.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 08:35

What both Stein and Leishman had in spades was the ability to motivate players maybe even beyond their natural capabilities.

Not many managers in any walk of life have that in them.

Coaching wise Stein was better and you can hear Jim admitting he wasn't the best in that area, whilst praising Gregor Abel.

But clearly two Pars legends in the truest sense of the word.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 09:02

I met Jim on a holiday cruise this summer - he really is an engaging individual, especially when he twigs that you have leanings towards a certain club in south west Fife !!!

I mentioned a few former Pars players that I knew from around the Clacks area - when Jim Wallace's name cropped up that was JL's cue to remind me of their full back partnership, and that they played together the day he scored the winner at Ibrox !!!

I never knew of that goal of course, a bit of obscure Pars history !!!

He also mentioned the Willie Callaghan + Barry Mitchell dressing room incident after the Dundee United end of season relegation issue match at EEP back in 1972.

I've not watched the interviews yet - I assume that's what is alluded to by Stanza.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 14:33

Jock Stein already has a stand named after him at Parkhead, where he had his greatest managerial success as is befitting. Name the main stand after Leishman, the away stand after AJ after he wins the Champs League after going back to 4-4-2.

The NWS - Sorry but that's always going to be the NWS.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 16:37

So many Pars fans have suggested this over the years,I have never understood the delay.How could anyone oppose it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 16:42

It will be a travesty is Jim is no longer here when they decide to name a stand after him. It has to happen one day, make sure he’s around to see it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 19:04

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Wed 24 Oct 16:42

It will be a travesty is Jim is no longer here when they decide to name a stand after him. It has to happen one day, make sure he’s around to see it

It's much more common to honour someone who has died, although Man U notably bucked that tradition with the SAF stand.

In answer to SP further up, if you name a stand after a former legend then you've given up the chance of bringing in some serious money from a potential sponsor.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Oct 19:47

Unless you could name it the Amazon Leishman stand or something.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 08:04

Quote:

mach1, Wed 24 Oct 19:47

Unless you could name it the Amazon Leishman stand or something.

The Amazing Leishman Stand, shorely?😃

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 09:04

I like that!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 09:26

"Unless you could name it the Amazon Leishman stand or something."

You'd want an airline sponsor in front of Leish's name, no? lol
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 09:57

I would love it if a statue of Jim doing the aeroplane was unveiled on the corner of the Norrie and main stand in front of the old turnstiles. What an approach to our ground that would be.

I’ve met Jim a few times and he is one of my favourite people on the planet. The word legend is sometimes overused, but not for this guy. Enjoy those people while you can, and we are so lucky to have such a passionate engaging man at our club.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 10:20

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 10:31

No need for Tinhat DRFC, it’s a valid point. I would argue though that he was the constant from previous that helped (as did many others while the old regime walked away) through the difficult period and is still here. All things considered I still think the term legend is applicable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 13:18

Quote:

DRFC_no1, Thu 25 Oct 10:20

Putting my tinhat on here but guessing his time on the board with Masterton and Yorkston has been swept under the carpet and forgotten about?

Your forgetting Jummwas an employee and not a shareholder so had virtually no control....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 15:26

Quote:

DRFC_no1, Thu 25 Oct 10:20

Putting my tinhat on here but guessing his time on the board with Masterton and Yorkston has been swept under the carpet and forgotten about?

TBH, that was a difficult time for everyone associated with DAFC - nobody knew for certain quite what to do for the best, and many good people, including some of the present BoD, made mistakes and/or were associated with the previous administration in some way.

FWIW, I remember being at a supporters' meeting where the then-Board members were presenting the proposed share-issue plan.

Jim was at one end of the Board "top table" and his body language was eloquent - if you can imagine four people facing the meeting, with one person sitting at right angles to them facing the side wall and saying not a word throughout, then Jim was that one person.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Oct 16:08

I know there are a few people who don't rate Jim's contributions for the good of this club.

I was once sitting next to a fan, prematch in Garvock Hotel, who openly stated that he believed Jim used the publicity from his fund raising in Mary's memory for his own ends.

It was all I could do from getting up and hitting the guy.

Jim has been the best ambassador for the Pars ever, bar none. His consistent loyalty to the club from young days to present is almost unheard of.

The Livingston foray aside and even that was forced by his being eased out of the manager's position by a majority of the Board at that time. He would never have gone otherwise.

I know the deputy Chairman of the time was against it, but his hands were tied.

Sorry, but he doesn't deserve much, if any, criticism imo.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: