DAFC.net
Home 22 November 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 European Super League
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 19:00

I started a fanciful thread on here about 5 years ago, in which I gazed into my crystal ball and predicted that, in 10 years time, the richest European clubs will have become too big for their domestic leagues and will want to play against each other, on a regular basis, in a European Super League. The CL may well revert to a straight knock out competition, but the big clubs will be seeded so that they cannot meet in the early rounds.

Many posters didn't think there was much chance of this coming about, but it's beginning to look like I was maybe too pessimistic in giving it until 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46131361

FIFA can make all the empty threats it wants. What the big, rich clubs want, the big clubs will get, probably sooner rather than later. Europe is a comparatively small continent and the distances involved are far less than those covered by the American and Canadian clubs in the MSL

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Fri 09 Nov 14:47)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: European Super League
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 19:06

The big teams were too big for their leagues 10 years ago
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 19:58

I think this is a power play - the big clubs know their leagues and FIFA won't stand for it, but the threat will allow some (more) concessions. My prediction? European games to be at the weekend with domestic football moved to midweek.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 20:01

“The big teams were too big for their leagues 10 years ago“

There was a new team that was too big for a few of the lower leagues in Scotland just recently
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 20:10

Wouldn't say they where that big 1970par. Took them a couple of attempts to get out of the championship
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 20:11

There is no doubt that in the big leagues it is constricted to the same two or three teams each season but I blame the champions league format for that.
Celtic were Scottish champions but have to play three qualifying games in the summer before having a shot.
In England 4 teams are automatically thrown into the group stages even if not champions.
The same in Germany and other countries.
I agree with GG that this Super League was (and is) the ultimate plan from UEFA to make as much money in their pockets from TV rights.

To me, it would signal a slow death, not so much for Scotland but English football as the obsession would all be on the Super League.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Valley Par  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 21:26

they,re only big teams because of the massive amounts of money pumped into them - let them go !.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 8 Nov 21:51

This isn't uefas doing it is down to the greed of real Madrid and their fear that they can no longer rule European football. A few seasons ago they moaned about Cardiff city getting more prize money for finishing bottom of the e p l than they got for winning the champions league. And lately didn't they have to re negotiate their domestic tv deal. It was real along with some other so called big clubs that wanted to break away before and the pay off was the cjampions league. I say let them go their pond is getting smaller and when some of them find that having lots of money isn't so appealing when you are near the bottom of your division and the stadium is empty because your supporters want a winning team. Then they will want to go back to how it was but then the home leagues will hold the aces.
Ian
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 12:35

Quote:

ianbd6, Thu 8 Nov 21:51

This isn't uefas doing it is down to the greed of real Madrid and their fear that they can no longer rule European football. A few seasons ago they moaned about Cardiff city getting more prize money for finishing bottom of the e p l than they got for winning the champions league. And lately didn't they have to re negotiate their domestic tv deal. It was real along with some other so called big clubs that wanted to break away before and the pay off was the cjampions league. I say let them go their pond is getting smaller and when some of them find that having lots of money isn't so appealing when you are near the bottom of your division and the stadium is empty because your supporters want a winning team. Then they will want to go back to how it was but then the home leagues will hold the aces.
Ian

Real Madrid may be the driving force behind this move, but they are by no means alone, Ian. Bayern, PSG, Barca, Juve, Milan, Inter and the 'Big 6' Premiership clubs will all fancy it, because as you say, it's all about money. Of course FIFA have to be seen to be acting against any breakaway, but if UEFA sanction it, they'll have to admit defeat.

Wasn't there once a breakaway league in Columbia in the 50s? They paid big money and attracted all the world's top stars, such as Alfredo di Stefano. FIFA banned them but they carried on and were eventually pardoned and reintegrated into the mainstream.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 13:49

Your link takes you to the Thousand Oaks shooting

[IMG]http://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 14:48

''Your link takes you to the Thousand Oaks shooting''

Oops! Not sure how that happened - apologies - now fixed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 16:18

The big six in England are up to their necks in this but I genuinely don't know any fans in England that really want to see this in the format that's being proposed.

The CL has already been a fairly closed shop for years with changes having been made to try and allow the traditionally larger revenue generating clubs into the group stages. Every EPL supporter I've ever met has always said Premier League first and CL second. Man City played Juve midweek one season and then had more people attending the game against Bournemouth at the weekend.

Games against the Barcas, Real, Bayerns and Juves are special because of their scarcity. If you create a league where those games are guaranteed you start to lose the gloss a bit and I think the attendances at the games would begin to drop off in the long term. You might get enough casual visitors or tourists through the doors but I think it would come down to TV audiences but then I guess so much of football already does.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 16:51

Good post LPF. I would add a couple of things. It's not only fans that say that the Epl comes first, it's also the managers, so I think it's safe to say that the clubs as well as the fans put the league first. Also, sky have always said that fans only watch TV games if there are full stadiums and I think they're right tbh. As a neutral watching on TV, if you see the place empty you think "if they're not bothered, why should I?" If fans start staying away because of their lack of interest in the competition their club is involved in then the TV figures would also drop.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 18:25

Also the way the "Superleague" has been formulated they're talking about certain clubs - you can imagine which ones - being protected from relegation for up to 20 years! So that would mean a hell of a lot of meaningless fixtures - essentially glorified friendlies - once the top 3 or 4 had broken away from the pack.

It can only be the bean counters who come up with this sort of nonsense, few football people would entertain that kind of structure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 18:51

Mcfc-par, draft picks? 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 20:53

GG Riva I agree with what you are saying. I was using Real Madrid as they are the biggest spoilt b###tards of the lot. One of the big problems is I don't think any of the club's you mentioned will have had a second thought about the possibility that they might be the club at the foot of the table. As you say UEFA and FIFA will huff and puff about it but if the club's want it they will get it, the. Top players are earning 5 to 10 million a year so they will for the club's line. The silver lining for folk who support club's like ours is they will eventually have a division two and maybe three we can then have a realistic chance of competing in our own domestic competitions.
Ian
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 22:07

"Also the way the "Superleague" has been formulated they're talking about certain clubs - you can imagine which ones - being protected from relegation for up to 20 years!"

Interesting that you say that when Man City, the very same City that you seem to support given your user name and who are alleged to have broken Financial Fair Play rules to enable their owners to try and project their emirate as a forward thinking democracy rather than a human rights abusing oligarchy, are one of those founded who can't be relegated for 20 years... so while I can imagine exactly which clubs, maybe you can't?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 9 Nov 22:53

This proposal has been in the works for 20+ years in various guises. All enthusiastically promoted by the Old Firm as was, you might remember. Now that they are nowhere near the elite group, they will be pushing for a Division 2, maybe even 3.

You would think that ultimately, membership will be decided on attendance figures, so the Old Firm would get there eventually. But... and it is a big but...

The no relegation clause suggests that they are looking at a franchise model much like the US football and basketball leagues. If that's the case, then they are probably looking at just one division and that would almost certainly mean the current transfer system would go out the window to be replaced by draft picks and salary caps.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 07:42

Kelty Pat - Do you listen to Football Weekly by any chance?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 07:52

If it's driven by money then the future is Asian, with clubs being moved by their owners to franchises like Beijing Galacticos, Bangkok Tigers etc.

MK Dons on a grand scale ....

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive

Post Edited (Sat 10 Nov 07:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 11:28

"Kelty Pat - Do you listen to Football Weekly by any chance?"

I do, and the Totally Football Show, although Golazzo is my favourite podcast for football content, and Top Flight Time Machine is hilarious if only vaguely related to football. I've also read the full der Spiegel article on the set up of the Super League and the 4 part expose of City's manipulation of their accounts in the same magazine (it's available on their website, for free, in English and is well worth an hour or so of anyone's time).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 13:58

If anyone wants to read the full story of the proposed European Super League, they can do so here.

The Man City Expose is in four parts: the first part gives an overview of how much the new owners have spent at City, both officially and off-the-books, the second part discusses "Operation Longbow", their deliberate plan to get around FFP and hide their wrongdoing using fake sponsorship and image right deals, while the third part discusses their approach to bring Pep to Manchester while at Bayern and how image is everything for the Abu Dhabi ruling family, and the fourth part deals with how they use their global group of official (and unofficial) feeder clubs.

These are all lengthy, investigative journalism pieces in a respected magazine and will take a bit of time to read but they offer a fascinating insight into the whole Man City project.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: