DAFC.net
Home 17 September 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 What's wrong with our forward line..??
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:09

2 goals at home all season.
Our top scorer is a full-back.
Both Faz & Ryan can't buy a goal - Communication doesn't look that great.
Muirhead - Why is he here, I can't work it out. 6ft+ target man playing as a winger??
Keena our one hope now looks injured.

I don't know the answer, I wait for it every week & hope that something will click or connect & it never does.

Is it tactics?
Are our forwards to similar?
Has our manager made a hash of recruitment in terms of a blend?

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: What's wrong with our forward line..??
Topic Originator: Swifty  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:12

All good questions Angus. I’m still trying to get my head around how Andy Ryan missed an open goal with less than a minute played. If we had scored then it would have been a completely different game. The Board must surely be discussing next steps?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:15

Fais and Ryan don’t play well together. Keena going off forced him into a change. Going back to front, especially second half is no good to these two. A blind man can see it. What can’t our management team, who were both forwards, not see that ?
Muirhead came on and didn’t give the impression that he was desperate to get a starting spot. I put more effort in going up to my seat.
Somethings not right. The buck stops with the manager

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:18

taking the Ryan miss out of it there isn't a partnership in any of the forwards, Keena and Ryan maybe the closest to one but even then that's pushing it imo.

on Muirhead, Johnston played him on the left at Killie so its now new although today it was the wrong move.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:19

Think confidence plays a major part. You can see that we have little to no confidence right now. We also don’t have a settled front 2. We don’t know our best striking combination and we’re more than a quarter into the season. We need to be giving the strikers more opportunities. We’re so predictable most teams have us sussed. If things ain’t working down the right with Williamson and Higgy then we’re goosed. Would be good if we had a decent winger on the left to link up with J Longridge. Hopefully Muirhead can pop up with some goals when fit. I don’t get him taking corners when he has height and a phisical presence that would be best used in the box.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:19

we are too small up front and most of the balls that goes to our forwards are high balls which a defender will win all day long against our lightweight midgets !!
And as Angus says why do we have a 6' plus forward and put him on the wing ?
with the personnel we have we need to get it on the deck and play football and get defenders turning
Apart from this we really do not have a Forward line of note !!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:29

Right from the start of the season we haven’t been able to get it right up front. AJ wanted to go with a 3 5 2 which didn’t work. Too many players getting played out of position. We have good completion for most positions. But we don’t have enough wingers who can make a difference apart from Higgy. Connolly is far too lightweight and doesn’t offer enough for me. We were all happy when Faisal came back. He doesn’t look half the player he previously was. I don’t think the manager is getting the most from all the players. You can see the body language and attitude that some players don’t care enough. There is no fight or determination. Hopefully Keena can make a difference and score some badly needed goals. AJ has said the fans can be the 12th man but it takes the players to lift the fans also. All the fans want is to see every player giving 100%.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:37

They are trying to walk the ball into the net.Lack of confidence, terrified to have a long range shot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:43

We don’t even need a partnership.. 442 drivel bores me to tears. It’s so easy to play against . I think Faz would be better coming in from the left in a 433 for example but it’ll never happen under AJ. His ideas or rather lack of them are costing us week in, week out. He’s always been poor tactically. His signings had been more good than bad but the last window was horrendous. Some of the utter g*sh we have playing for us is utterly depressing. Clark, McManus and Moffat in recent years took absolute pelters on here but compare them to the useless clowns we have now ? Really tough to take . That’s where AJ has really cost us. 2 out of those 3 didn’t move because of money !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 19:44

Simple answer, our strikers are no where near good enough for this level
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:07

Faz was great that year in League One because Moffat was unselfish and put the ball on a plate for Faz many times. So many people on here criticized Moffat for his finishing, but failed to realize what he did for Faz.

Oh wait, Ayr is in first place. Go figure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:17

Agree usmac, championship is a massive step up from league 1 and not all players can make it, faz is one of them.

Both Ryan and faz need a provider along side them not another ball greedy guy who just wants to shoot all the time.

We have no quality on the wings, and I include higgy in that, yes capable of decent spells but they are not generally up to it.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:20

Moffat was bought to score goals after his good previous season with Ayr,who were not to pleased to lose him.It didn't happen for him in the goalscoring department,but his hold up and link up play made him the best footballer in our team in my opinion.Told him that one time I met him,his reply tell the manager that.AJ thought otherwise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:27

Totally agree Berkey. Feel as though we’re lacking quality on the wings. For me depending on cost I would have Cardle back. When he’s on form he can put in some quality, take players on and can chip in with some goals. You look at Keena’s goals in Inverness we need to take more shots from outside the box and at least get the keeper working. All it needs is a deflection or the keeper not to save it or rebound. If you don’t shoot you’ll never score.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:31

Agree with Ianoappar, we badly need a Moff type player. He was the reason Fais scored so many goals when he was here before.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:33

It’s not a Moff-type player we’re lacking. It’s a Clark-type player we miss.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:49

Tappies we had a shot from outside the box in the first minute and got a perfect rebound right to Andy Ryan and he fluffed it!

We’re too small, the wingers need to produce a brilliant cross for faz and Ryan to score a header against defender much taller than them. We have no quality from set pieces either.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 20:56

If you look at Players In vs Players Out... over the last two seasons it’s obvious what the issue is. Very simply better players have left the club than come in. More than just AJ at fault . Say for example we couldn’t afford to offer higher wages because we have spanked 45k-100k (😂) on Andy Ryan. There’s a few accountable for that. Could have had Shankland !! How sickening a thought is that ?? Crystal ball stuff tbf! By all accounts his trial here he was apparently ‘abysmal’ andwas ‘brutally out of shape’

Post Edited (Sat 10 Nov 21:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 21:05

Keena looked good, just our luck he got injured.

Ryan and Faiss can't play together, they never pass to each other. Neither can score.

Would try Keena and Muirhead up front together if the injury isn't too bad.

Willing to try anything right now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 21:13

Muirhead looks like he us pulling a caravan, can't see how he is any improvement.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kingseat par  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 21:15

Keena is fine. It was just a dead leg.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 22:25

Faissal and Keena up front with with two wingers supplying crosses in for the strikers. If you remember back to Faissal's time with us when he scored the 30 goals, we had some brilliant crosses coming into the penalty box from Michael Paton. Get the ball forward quicker to the strikers please?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 22:38

Steaua you can’t underestimate the increase in standard either.

Faz isn’t playing against posties every week in this league.

Post Edited (Sun 11 Nov 09:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 23:20

In that same season we played Dundee & Ross County in the cups.

Faz was pretty impressive in both games against SPL opposition.

.....IMO he is wasted playing up top. He's better coming deeper & running at a defence.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Nov 23:29

Why always posties ? It’s farmers and cattle herders Faz does it against .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 07:37

We have lost Nicky Clark with 21 goals; Declan McMauns with 13 and Joe Cardle with 10.The first two were unavoidable and we have to accept that.The speculation over Super Joe has been done to death.

However this is the key question.2 League goals this season 18 from 7 Home games last season.

Our defence is mean when it has been Craigen,Ashcroft,Durnan and J Longridge.

We have a talented midfield with Craigen,M Martin,L Longridge,Thomson,Beadling and Vincent.Few would argue last year's midfield was better.

Up front AJ and Sandy are now reduced to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.How different would the game have been yesterday had Ryan scored in the first minute?Only Higgy of the strikers has any confidence.

Big games with Falkirk and Dundee United have skewed our average Gate but winter will soon bite and, although I have supported AJ throughout; this CANNOT go on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 07:43

Hopefully we can get another striker from Santa. Today’s performance was another step in the right direction. 3 points lost but there were improvements all over the pitch. Defence were more solid, midfield more creative. Mainly thanks to Higgy, with him now being match fit and playing every week confidence will build in the rest midfield & we should create even more opportunities for our strikers. We just need a striker to get a wee break. Keena going off was a kick in the teeth. I suspect Andy Ryan didn’t know too much about his miss from inside 6 box.
That’s the best I’ve seen at EEP since the Hearts cup game.
Keep the heed lads!
COYP!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 07:58

Should have pushed the boat out for Adam Hammel he would have supplied the crosses.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 08:19

Fais has been such a disappointment. Just not good enough for this level. How he got a 3 year contract to an SPL on the back of being 2nd top goal scorer in league 1 amazes me. Dundee weren’t foolish when letting him go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 08:19

I do like the look of Keena
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 08:49

Watch the highlights to see how bad Ryan's early miss was. He had half the goal to place it away.

Yes we played quite well in patches, but by midway through the second half we were a spent force and Falkirk took control in the midfield and down their right flank.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 09:41

Did we play well though? We were playing a team getting pumped every week and marooned at the bottom, they sat deep and gave us loads of space. Buaben was like watching nat in there, slow and easy to get round.

If that’s how we play against the worst team in the league you can imagine how poor we’ll be against the teams with quality in them.

The decent teams teams won’t allow us to get the chances we got yesterday.

Post Edited (Sun 11 Nov 09:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 10:44

When Keena got injured, my first thought was, ah well, let's see Muirhead on and get Fais to sub Ryan at the 60/70 minute point. But no, madness ruled and we got the forward line from hell that we have all sadly become so familiar with. And then when the second half subs were made... just speechless.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ReturningParsFan  
Date:   Sun 11 Nov 10:50

That was my first view of Keena and (in his short time on the pitch, I really liked what I saw. So did Bauben evidently, and his crude tackle put an end to that. Probably the only time Dallas did something good, playing the initial advantage and then going back for the booking.

As others have said, we played really well early on, great pace, reminiscent of the good times last season. Keena's departure was a blow, and maybe Muirhead should have been his replacement at that time. For sure, the Faz/Ryan combo doesn't work. Faz actually played as well as I've seen him this season, but strikers are measured in goals and he isn't delivering.

Cutting across other threads, Higgy had an excellent game until he faded and was (rightly imo) subbed. I really don't know what to make about Hippolyte ... Devine had a solid game, easily the best of the back four, goodness only knows what has happened to Williamson's attacking game (one fleeting glimpse in the second half apart).

I only go to home games, and am glad I now have a 3-week break. The home record is awful, and Morton are not the team I would choose to put an end to it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: