DAFC.net
Home 19 May 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Return to 5-3-2?
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 08:31

If Lewis Martin is for enough to start, is it worth going back to 5-3-2/3-5-2? The centre halves didn't look to comfortable with that system but Martin could play anywhere along the back (and he has done so already) and with Durnan and Ashcroft alongside him I'd be more comfortable with him playing centre back than he in previous years. It would allow us to get the best out of Jackson Longridge who has looked very uncomfortable as an orthodox left back, might allow Williamson to provide width on the other side knowing Martin (who can obviously play right back) behind him, gets us three bodies in the centre of midfield whereas at the moment we look overrun with just two in the middle and would get back to what the manager originally envisaged when he brought the players in? Something like:

----------------------------Robinson------------------------
-------L. Martin-----Ashcroft------Durnan---------
Williamson-------------------------------J. Longridge
-----Higginbotham---M. Martin-----Thomson----
---------------------Muirhead-----Keena-------------------

Might work? Beadling could play in the middle if he ever gets fit, Lois Longridge could play off Keena and drop in to make it a 5-4-1 of we need to tighten things up, there are options there but will it work? Anything is worth a try at this moment?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Return to 5-3-2?
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 10:07

I like the idea, so long as Williamson and J Longridge can at their part well.

Would rather have Andy Ryan or Faiss with either Muirhead or Keena as a pair to start with though.

Try anything to get out the rut and start scoring more.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 11:01

we need a bigger unit in centre mid to try to boss teams.if beadling ever gets fit i would plonk him there at the expense of malaury martin.martin is costing the team more goals than he creates.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_Mike  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 13:45

I believe Dunfermline at their best would be suited to starting with:

Robinson;
Williamson, Ashcroft (c), Durnan, Longridge;
Higginbotham, Beadling, Thomson, Hippolyte;
Ryan, El Bakhtaoui.

Murdoch,
Devine,
L. Martin,
M. Martin,
Craigen,
Connolly,
Muirhead.

Believe Cardle, Talbot and Wedderburn were unnecessarily let go when they still had value to the squad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 15:15

Mike have you been watching us recently?

I rate beadling highly but he's never meet your expectations given how the other 10 are performing the now.

Craigan in for Williamson and keena in for Faz/ryan and its not far away from the best team we can currently put out.

if we could get muirhead fit and firing he could maybe come in for Faz/Ryan and we're need better than hippo in there but short on options.

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 15:24

Putting Lewis Martin in at left back would allow Longridge to play left midfield and put some decent crosses into the box

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 15:44

that's an option Raymie, he's pretty decent in the air too so just the man to arrive late to the back post.

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 13 Nov 18:28

And the bonus would be no room for Hippo

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 07:27

We are rearranging the chairs on the Titanic.

We have a defence of Craigen.Ashcroft.Durnan.Longridge comparable to last season.We have lost 10 Home goals to date.Last year was 9.

In midfield we can select from Martin.Vincent.Beadling.Thomson.Longridge L.Tell me a midfield selection since 2011 as strong as that.

Last year our midfield was ditched in the January transfer window.We never looked back.This Year the top two will be ditched.

It is hardly the case that we ALL know but the Management and Board don't.They are fans too.

Higgy is the only part of the jigsaw bang on form up front.

And then there is Joe Cardle now without a club......

PS 5-3-2 is fine if the players understand it.Just saying!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 07:40

Quote:

polski par, Tue 13 Nov 11:01

we need a bigger unit in centre mid to try to boss teams.if beadling ever gets fit i would plonk him there at the expense of malaury martin.martin is costing the team more goals than he creates.

It's not for want of trying on Martin's part. He plays some excellent passes. It's not his fault the strikers aren't capitalising on them. He does appear to tire towards the end of games - maybe not fully match fit?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 09:26

C'mon folks. How can a professional footballer not be match fit at this point in the season?

Martin doesn't drive the game with any urgency imo, nor does he command the central midfield with strength.
Just can't make my mind up on him yet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 10:48

gg.i see him keeping play flowing but don't see any incisive passes from him.any stats on his assists because i can't think of any.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 12:28

Quote:

mach1, Wed 14 Nov 09:26

C'mon folks. How can a professional footballer not be match fit at this point in the season?

Martin doesn't drive the game with any urgency imo, nor does he command the central midfield with strength.
Just can't make my mind up on him yet.

Totally agree, all professional sports people should maintain the level of fitness required. No excuse, especially when we have our own gym and fitness professionals on the staff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 12:52

For me I would like to see Jackson at LM and have Martin at LB he can beat the man easily and when he gets a chance he can finish unlike myles or aiden.

Our strongest team when they are fit I’d go:

Murdoch

Williamson ash Durnan Martin

beading Martin

Higgy thomson Jackson

Keena/muirehead

Martin moving forward when getting up the pitch.

Could argue the case of craigen at RB but with Higgy the pair are unplayable on their day.

Faz and Ryan can’t finish.
Hippo falls over too much always looking for the foul and has the composure of a frightened elephant.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 13:36

"Higgy is the only part of the jigsaw bang on form up front."

Why do you keep saying this? Firstly Higginbotham is a midfielder, secondly he's barely played due to his injury so he's hardly bang on form.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 15:29

It's one thing playing players in a formation, it's another making sure they fully understand there roles within it.

From earlier in the season I get the impression we fell short in the second criteria.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end