DAFC.net
Home 23 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Best Pars game?
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 23:34

Just to add a bit of balance....
What's the best performance you've witnessed as a Pars fan? 🤔

Post Edited (Wed 14 Nov 23:35)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Best Pars game?
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 23:41

6-2 vs Valencia, but that it was very much weather influenced.

2-0 vs Celtic first round of cup in 67/68 season at Parkhead. We beat the European Cup holders!!

6-0 vs Raith Rovers New Year's game. Sheer joy.

But for overall excitement and tension it would be 4-5 vs Celtic and 5-6 vs Hibs the same season.
Both defeats but what games!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Wed 14 Nov 23:58

For me it has to be my first European Pars match, a 4-0 win over Girondins Bordeaux.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 00:10

That's a tricky one.

The semi win at pittodrie - walking out the ground after seeing one of all time great Pars goals seal a cup final and European spot was just amazing.

However winning a big game in front of a sell out crowd when it really matters can't be topped. So for me Tannadice 96 and Martin Hardies one man demolition of Raith are up there above anything else I've seen.

If pushed to pick one it's Tannadice after everything that team had to overcome.

It might be a bit p*sh just now but I love my club

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 00:20

3-0 v f@kirk on Hogmanay cannae mind the year but potters bar and whiskey joes was open.
Tannadice 96 and the leishman game.
2-0 v the Huns with smith and Watson
Beating the Tims and anton rogan scoring an og
Any other win against Falkirk
Huns game and Vanoli’s pass back.
4-4 at Dundee
Any win against airdrie
Half time 2004 cup final
The wee team game with hardie
The Jimmie Sandison game at tynecastle
Winning the league at stenhousemuir after Cowdenbeath had come back from the dead v QOS

Same rules apply

Post Edited (Thu 15 Nov 00:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wjmcm  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 00:53

10 - 1 against Partick Thistle in the late 50's. Melrose scored 7 if I remember correctly. We thought we were going down and we were wrong. Thought the same the next season and then big Jock arrived.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 01:41

Nothing will touch that title decider against the rovers in 2011

The Prophet - 12/07/18.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fethiyespar  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 06:29

6-2 Valencia.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 06:29

Ah, good to see a positive thread. Why didn't I think of that? Well played, Widders!

I've been privileged to see many brilliant Pars games over the years, a 4-2 win over a very good Hearts and a last gasp 2-1 SC win over Kilmarnock in the 60s stand out for me, as did the performance in a 2-1 win v Livingston in the Calderwood era, when Craig Brewster had just joined the Pars. Stevie Crawford might have had a first half hat trick, Livi got an absolute roasting and only scored a consolation in injury time to give the scoreline a completely false reflection. 2-1 going on 5 or 6-1 would have been more like it.

Like mach1 though, if I had to pick my most unforgettable game, I'd go for the 4-5 v Celtic, a team who were on their way to a clean sweep of domestic trophies, not to mention the European Champions Cup. We led 2-0, 3-1 and 4-2, before eventually losing out to an injury time penalty and that was without our best ever player, Alex Edwards. The 5-6 v Hibs was very exciting too, but pales in comparison, as we were 0-4 at halftime and 2-5 after 75 mins and always looked to be losing it until the last few mins when we brought it back to 5-5. We then appeared to have forced a winner in injury time, but the ref ruled the ball had not crossed the line and with almost every Pars player chasing the ref to protest, Hibs ran up the park and scored..........

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 07:03

Seeing the ground swarming and the feel good factor in our first game in the Premier League against Hibs in a 3-3 draw.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 07:37

Best game I recall of late

This years Cup game v Hearts @ EEP

We might have lost 0-1 but their keeper saved their bacon on numerous occasions & we played 90 minutes of breath taking football IMO

If we had continued to play to that standard this season the Pars would been sitting at the top of this years championship in a 13 game unbeaten run

Sadly we didn’t & were not

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsYob  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 07:53

The title run in of 2011. Martin Hardie turning it around against Raith, a day out in the sunshine sealing it against Morton. Then a pumping of F***irk before lifting the trophy. Fantasy stuff
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 08:21

1-0 Against the Mighty West Brom at the Hawthorns , Roy Barry and the boys were immense .

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 10:06

3 nil down at half time

https://youtu.be/awrG50qsCxA

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 10:28

Tannadice 1996 1 - 0 Pars. A very emotion season and it all came out in that game. United reduced the amount of tickets they gave us and everyone had it as a formality that they would win the league that day, but the passion shown by the team that day backed up with the amazing support ensured that didn't happen.
A day I will never forget.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 10:32

When we beat the real Rangers 2-0. I can't remember the date but our second was scored by Vialli. Despite me seeing us play them many times it was the first time that I've seen us beat them.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 12:42

^^^Paolo Vanoli^^^

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 12:51

The game after Norrie died,a 4 - 3 classic.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 13:38

2-0 down at half time to Dundee at dens. Won the game 3-2 around 2002/03
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 13:41

Dundee United away under Leishman. Last minute own goal by Mark Kerr for us to win 1-0. Huge away support that day!

Loved Stenny away 5-4 win as well.

Semi final at Pittodrie against ICT.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 13:49

tannadice 96.not just the players but the fans performance was amazing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 14:15

Da_no_1 thanks, I just remember the ball rolling into the net.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bertiesback  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 14:50

Best Pars game for me was undoubtedly the Scottish Cup semi final v Hibs at Tyncastle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWiAWooQYQ

The whole day was fantastic, from the train through on a sunny morning to a jam packed Tynecastle. (official att was 33.000 but there was many more than that on the day) We had a huge support too.
Our youngsters played Hibs off the park and 2-0 flattered them.

Smith, Edwards, Sinclair, the Callaghan bros, Thomson, Lunn and Herriot were all just beginning their careers and they ran a veteran Hibs team ragged that day.

Oh there were other great days, like when I made my only trip to Parkhead to see us beat a Celtic in their prime 2-0 in 1968.

I had a large print of the Lunn + Barry double tackle on Johnstone above my drawing desk at my work because it signified the massive effort that day.

Picture below.
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1968-01-27%3A+Celtic+0-2+Dunfermline+Athletic%2C+Scottish+Cup+-+Pictures

I could go on and start on European games but the OP asked for one.

As an addendum just look at the conditions teams played in "back then" and still managed to play some great football and look at the massive attendance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbtVLF8MsY8
No wonder I find it hard to watch the game now.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Nov 14:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 15:59

A few to mention

Beating Celtic at Parkhead in 97 after being 1-0 down at half-time. Bingham and French were the scorers.Not many Pars supporters there but a memorable day.Did that take us to the top of the league?

Tannadice 96- Fans were tremendous. Think Utd would've won the league that day with a win. Went down to 10 men as well. United had a team full of internationals.The following week against Airdrie wasn't bad either!

4 each up at Dens with 2 late goals for us

4-3 v Clydebank with Robbo scoring the winner.

The Martin Hardie show against the Rovers

The first half of the 2004 Cup final. The half-time break was one of the best feelings as a Pars fan.Had Skerla first scorer at 80/1 too.Thought we were going to do it that day but that pesky Larsson spoiled it for us in his last game.

The great escape v Dundee when we beat them 5-0 and Leishman was in temporary charge.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 16:04

Has to be the Clydebank game for me. The emotion that day will never be equalled.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 19:23

My overall best experience is still Tanadice in 96.

Lots of the other ones mentioned above but best all round and most dominating performance against decent opposition: beating Hibs 4-1 at Easter Road. Crawford and Brewster ran riot. The first of three Pars wins against them there that season (2002/3?).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Valley Par  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 19:31

there is a couple , 4 times I,ve seen us win at Parkhead - but in recent times the comeback at STENNY when we cameback and won 5-4 !
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Thu 15 Nov 21:18

I would love a print of that barry and lunn tackle. Can anybody help .Would be eternally grateful 😊. ! Got the book it was actually in.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Nov 21:19)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: tappies par  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 05:38

Cup replay at pittodrie when we won on penalties. Pitch invasion with our tops off in a very cold Aberdeen.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 07:05

The 2-1 Raith game in 2011. Just a perfect day.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jealous Furniture  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 11:11

The best ones are already mentioned but I remember a 3-3 draw with Rangers at EEP on Boxing day, maybe about 2005? It was an insane game.

If I remember right we took the lead through Andy Tod, Lovenkrands was on fire for Rangers at the time and scored a free kick. Straight from kick-off we went up the pitch and Mark Burchil scored a great chipped finish in the far corner, giving it laldy to the Gers fans.

Second half Rangers made it 2-2 from a penalty after the ball hit Lee Makel's arm on the line, somehow the ref deemed it a red card even though it was point blank and he was looking in the other direction at the time!

Chris Burke made it 3-2 after skinning about 3 of our players on the right wing before that big diddy Kyriakos pulled Andy Tod down in the box in the last second and Darren Young put the penalty away :)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 12:46

"Chris Burke made it 3-2 after skinning about 3 of our players on the right wing before that big diddy Kyriakos pulled Andy Tod down in the box in the last second and Darren Young put the penalty away :)"

Not only that, but the corner where the Greek defender pulled Andy Tod down came as a result of a corner a few seconds previous where we were shouting for a penalty and the referee told him to stop pulling jerseys or he'd have to give a penalty. He didn't need the warning and we got the award.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 14:34

Quote:

Bertiesback, Thu 15 Nov 14:50

Best Pars game for me was undoubtedly the Scottish Cup semi final v Hibs at Tyncastle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWiAWooQYQ

The whole day was fantastic, from the train through on a sunny morning to a jam packed Tynecastle. (official att was 33.000 but there was many more than that on the day) We had a huge support too.
Our youngsters played Hibs off the park and 2-0 flattered them.

Smith, Edwards, Sinclair, the Callaghan bros, Thomson, Lunn and Herriot were all just beginning their careers and they ran a veteran Hibs team ragged that day.

Oh there were other great days, like when I made my only trip to Parkhead to see us beat a Celtic in their prime 2-0 in 1968.

I had a large print of the Lunn + Barry double tackle on Johnstone above my drawing desk at my work because it signified the massive effort that day.

Picture below.
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/1968-01-27%3A+Celtic+0-2+Dunfermline+Athletic%2C+Scottish+Cup+-+Pictures

I could go on and start on European games but the OP asked for one.

As an addendum just look at the conditions teams played in "back then" and still managed to play some great football and look at the massive attendance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbtVLF8MsY8
No wonder I find it hard to watch the game now.

Alex Smith ran the game that day, also I was pictured next to the tunnel as the teams left the pitch.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 16:26

Quote:

kelty_par, Fri 16 Nov 12:46

"Chris Burke made it 3-2 after skinning about 3 of our players on the right wing before that big diddy Kyriakos pulled Andy Tod down in the box in the last second and Darren Young put the penalty away :)"

Not only that, but the corner where the Greek defender pulled Andy Tod down came as a result of a corner a few seconds previous where we were shouting for a penalty and the referee told him to stop pulling jerseys or he'd have to give a penalty. He didn't need the warning and we got the award.

I remember that vividly. Unbelievable that the rangers player was given a warning for it and was stupid enough to do it again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 17:06

Can’t remember the year, possibly the 90s but a midweek cup game at Easter Road, might even have been a replay. 1-1 after 90 mins and we won 3-1 after extra time. Andy Rhodes was immense that night and I remember him saving a point blank shot from Mickey Weir. One of many.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 17:09

^^^^Same game that Ross Jack scored a screamer, massive support across, blocked Queen St. after the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 20:17

Aye, that one was a belter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Fri 16 Nov 20:42

The Aberdeen game in the mist

Admin.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: