DAFC.net
Home 12 December 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Attendances
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 09:39

A quick look at this morning's newspaper shows how abysmal football crowds in general have become.

Rangers and Hibs with home games aside, the other four Premiership games totalled just 18,555 and they involved 5 of the top 6 teams.

It makes our average home gates very respectable in comparison and highlights again, as if we need reminding the financial benefits of top league, when they survive on gates like that.

Motherwell vs Aberdeen 5131 and the Dons took nearly 1000.

In contrast to our good crowds, the top scoring player charts point to where we desperately need improvement. Not a player in the top ten which includes such as McHugh and Tidser at Morton, Moffat at Ayr and Trouten at Alloa.

It's surely got to change soon.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Attendances
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 10:29

Quote:

mach1, Mon 26 Nov 09:39

A quick look at this morning's newspaper shows how abysmal football crowds in general have become.

Rangers and Hibs with home games aside, the other four Premiership games totalled just 18,555 and they involved 5 of the top 6 teams.

It makes our average home gates very respectable in comparison and highlights again, as if we need reminding the financial benefits of top league, when they survive on gates like that.

Motherwell vs Aberdeen 5131 and the Dons took nearly 1000.

In contrast to our good crowds, the top scoring player charts point to where we desperately need improvement. Not a player in the top ten which includes such as McHugh and Tidser at Morton, Moffat at Ayr and Trouten at Alloa.

It's surely got to change soon.

Bear in mind those figures include season ticket holders that didn't show up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 12:15

That policy was getting a bit of stick on Off The Ball on Saturday. Without saying who doesn't do it, it suggested that it's not everyone as we are led to believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 12:37

18k and that’s with Celtic having a big away allocation, 3.5k ish ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 12:55

We are averaging 5137 which half the Premiership cannot match.

However,Our figure is skewed having just played the only two box office teams.

I fear the month of December as we meet two clubs with a minimal travelling support and I fear anger/dismay/disappointment is morphing into apathy/despair/resignation.

I fear our Gate this Saturday tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 13:50

Think it will be lowest home league gate of the season on Saturday. Some folk are fed up and can't see there being many away fans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 14:44

Lucky if there’s 3500 there, probably more announced but physically i doubt over 3.5k
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 15:41

"Rangers and Hibs with home games aside, the other four Premiership games totalled just 18,555 and they involved 5 of the top 6 teams."

Taking "snapshot" attendances on a specific Saturday can be misleading.

For example, if Hearts and Aberdeen had been at home that 18,555 figure would have been much higher.

It's the overall stats for the whole season that really matter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 15:42

We're also in the run up to Xmas that can have a bit of an impact too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 15:42

If we didn't have a pretty decent season ticket our crowds would be much lower. I certainly wouldn't be going if I didn't have a season ticket as its been a miserable chore going to EEP this season.
Dunno why folk get their knickers in a twist about non attending season ticket holders being included as the crowd figures are an indicator of financial health (or otherwise) more than anything else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 17:52

Our wins to date this season. An opening day win against an awful Dundee Utd team. Wins at Alloa, home to Partick and away to Falkirk.

Dismal
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 17:52

And people wonder why I am negative
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 18:22

The point I was trying to make about the crowd figures, was how we would stand in good comparison with those quoted.

Can't remember any home league game against Celtic with as low a crowd as Hamilton got, 4688, or St. Johnstone v Kilmarnock, 3559.

Says a lot about our fans I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 18:43

Scottish football is dying on its feet in terms of standard and crowds. It may need a radical rethink in terms of its future. With smaller clubs struggling to survive finacially dare I say it the solution may be to amalgamate teams. For fife clubs to compete seriously maybe one fife team may be the way to go.alot of history and tradition to overcome but with dwindling crowds at the fife clubs and all other clubs in Scotland, I worry about the future of the game if it continues the way its going.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 19:11

I don't like the thought, but tbh East Fife and Cowdenbeath couldn't possibly afford a ground like ours with the crowds they get.
Rovers would struggle to get close unless they had some alternative funding, highly unlikely.

Sadly too many clubs have too few fans to ever see much improvement, but the game will survive in some shape or form, but right now the bulk of the money goes to too few clubs and I can't see the structure or the financing arrangements changing any time soon.

Just look at the wages spread referred to in another post. Greed wins every time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 20:29

"I don't like the thought, but tbh East Fife and Cowdenbeath couldn't possibly afford a ground like ours with the crowds they get."

Why would they (or any similar size club) need a stadium with the capacity of EEP ?

Which is rarely ever more than 50% full anyway.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 22:07

More people in Scotland attend football matches,per head of population,than any other country in Europe so let us not get too despondent.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 22:10

You're missing the point of what I was trying to get over, but I'm just leaving it now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 22:14

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 26 Nov 22:07

More people in Scotland attend football matches,per head of population,than any other country in Europe so let us not get too despondent.

If thats still a true fact then how come our national team and leagues are a joke? A national team thats not qualified for a major tournament in over 20 years and a league run by 2 clubs with sectarian fans.......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 22:19

^^^^^
A very valid point indeed

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 26 Nov 22:26

Most of us think only of the 4 main leagues, however we also have many junior teams and the Highland league plus others. When we combine all the crowd numbers it becomes a larger percentage than most think.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 09:23

"More people in Scotland attend football matches,per head of population,than any other country in Europe so let us not get too despondent."

Which doesn't mean all that much if the population base is small, like ours.

According to the Scotsman it's the Scottish Premiership (not other tiers included) that has the highest per capita attendance based on national population - and if you were to take Celtic and Rangers out of the arithmetic the stats would be more realistic in comparison.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/scottish-football-attendances-highest-in-europe-based-on-population-1-4662193
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 09:48

I don't see how it matters what the population of the nation is. It's the percentage of the population that attends football matches that's counted.
Also you can't taken Rangers and Celtic out of the equation any more than you can take Real or Barca out of the Spanish equation.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 10:00

I wonder how many Spanish or Italian top league clubs have home attendances like Hamilton or St. Johnstone.

Half out top tier clubs can't achieve five figure gates at home.

It's gross overall attendances that matter, not percentages based on population.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 10:08

It was interesting, to me anyway, to see the list of highest ever league team home attendances in Scotland.

Queens Park are second for a Scottish Cup tie they played at Hampden.

6th, 7th and 8th places are held by Clyde, Partick Thistle and St. Mirren all for league games.
All these games played many years ago.

We come in at 17th out of the 42 current senior teams.

Amazingly, the Junior Cup final of 1951, between Petershill and Irvine Meadow attracted 77,650 people!

Changed days indeed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 10:45

VE, obviously small nations with small populations can't get gross overall attendance figures that beat bigger nations. I dare say more people attend football matches in Egypt or China than say, Netherlands or Belgium but as a percentage of the population more people watch football in those lowland nations.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 11:09

Yes, but the allusion that Scottish Football is somehow in good health based on the attendance per capita stats is not supported by other facts, as DRFC pointed out at last night.

I wonder how we’d compare with other countries on clubs that have gone into liquidation or administration.

Probably top of the performance tables, with Dundee as the absolute leader ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 12:45

Iceland has a population of 350k and a semi pro top division.........been to more major finals in the last 20 years than Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafcburty  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 13:00

I seen on Twitter today that the Motherwell CEO, Alan Burrows, said that they're 14 Season Tickets away from breaking a club-record number being sold in one season...

Scotland is a small nation and while the crowds ain't massive, there does seem to be a small pickup across the board generally. Whether that's because clubs are announcing figures which includes ST's not present rather than the official attendance, I don't know, but, I don't think attendances are much worse than when I began following the Pars in season 2004-2005, overall.

https://jordanburtfootball.com
bringing you up-to-date Interviews, Match Reports and much more!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 14:43

Up until we finished the stadium I don't think that I had a season ticket. I just remember always trying to have the correct money at the turnstile. In those days I remember just always atanding in the correct area, I wonder how many had season tickets before we went all seated.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neebur  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 14:53

Wasnt too long ago we couldnt afford the stadium we have and if it hadnt been for certain circumstances that would still be the case and maybe still is

Too many get hooked on our alleged high attendances when the product on the park is more important
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dinsdale  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 15:08

Attendance (noun) the number of people present at a particular place or event
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 16:48

"I wonder how many Spanish or Italian top league clubs have home attendances like Hamilton or St. Johnstone.

Half out top tier clubs can't achieve five figure gates at home."

Why would you compare our wee country with the likes of Italy or Spain (or England, who we always compare our game to for no logical reason whatsoever)? Let's look at some other countries with similar populations:

Denmark
Population: 5,806,015
Average crowd in top flight: 5,871
Highest average in top flight: 15,685 (Brondby)

Finland
Population: 5,520,535
Average crowd in top flight: 2,476
Highest average in top flight: 4,779 (HJK Helsinki)

Slovakia
Population: 5,445,087
Average crowd in top flight: 2,324
Highest average in top flight: 6,918 (Dunajská Streda)

Scotland
Population: 5,404,700
Average crowd in top flight: 15,929
Highest average in top flight: 57,573 (Celtic)

Norway
Population: 5,323,933
Average crowd in top flight: 6,701
Highest average in top flight: 17,605 (Rosenborg)

Republic of Ireland
Population: 4,857,000
Average crowd in top flight: 1,898
Highest average in top flight: 4,562 (Cork City)

Croatia
Population: 4,105,493
Average crowd in top flight: 2,948
Highest average in top flight: 11,999 (Hadjuk Split)

So when you look at other nations of a similar population and similar international standing (Croatia are obviously a lot better at the moment but we are unbeaten against them!) our crowds stand up pretty well. Even if you take out Celtic and Rangers they'd be pretty good in comparison.

If you want to go down the route of criticising the smaller clubs and asking if there are teams with similar crowds then look to the likes of Austria, Portugal, the Netherlands, Poland, Turkey and Sweden who are all much bigger countries than Scotland but who have clubs in their top leagues with averages of between 1,200 and 3,500.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 16:53

^^^ is that the same Croatia that made the World Cup Final this year? 😂🤦‍♂️ even more shambolic from our mighty nation
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 17:05

The average attendance in our top flight is nearly 16,000.

That just proves how Celtic and Rangers support grossly distorts the picture.

Them apart, only Hearts (sometimes Hibs ?) attract that to their home games.

The rest nowhere near.

There was just over 2000 at the recent Hamilton v St. Johnstone game.

Post Edited (Tue 27 Nov 18:05)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 18:18

Indeed DRFC, we get much bigger crowds even though they are good at international level and we aren't. It's almost like the two aren't intrinsically linked...

I don't get your point VEE - are you just ignoring the stars for the other counties? Even taking out the big two, our average of around 8,500 still bigger than the likes of Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Norway and Romania. If we have to take out our top two, why not do the same for other countries where there are a big two or three clubs? Portugal's crowds if you take away Porto, Sporting and Benfica are just over 5,000 but their average including those three is over 12,000. So they distort their crowds as well - and both their average both with and without the big teams is less than Scotland in a country with twice our population, are the reigning European Champions and will be hosting the Nations League finals.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 18:20

Perhaps someone can find out the average if we exclude the bigot brothers home and away.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:04

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Tue 27 Nov 18:20

Perhaps someone can find out the average if we exclude the bigot brothers home and away.

8500 is it not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:15

The 8500 will take into account Old Firm away fans though.

Just worked out the average of the other clubs currently sits at 8537 this season but this figure obviously includes travelling fans of the Old Firm

Post Edited (Tue 27 Nov 19:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:26

I think Keltypar indicated that without the OF the top league average would be around 8,500 which compares well with the other leagues.

What seems to have developed over the years is a widening gap between active support (actually attending matches) and passive support (watching on media, buying merchandise etc.) Given the revenue that now comes from the passive supporter this has resulted in riches for big clubs who enjoy a high profile; in fact the active supporter of a mega club is of secondary importance financially and only really important in terms of providing a match day spectacle to advertise the brand.
Football crowds across Scotland dropped significantly in the early 1960s long before the appearance of sanitised all-seater stadia devoted to the family match day experience. Hearts’ average gate was about 5,000 lower in 1960 when it won the league than it had been for most of the previous decade. Hibs were planning a 90,000 capacity stadium in the mid 1950s yet ended up playing to crowds of barely 10,000 after they sold Joe Baker. I think the Pars’ crowd averages held up better than most in this period due to our successful teams.

The new stadia and family marketing model has pulled in a wider audience, but for most clubs it cannot match the mass audience that trooped off to the game after a Saturday morning shift in the factory or coalmine.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:29

"The 8500 will take into account Old Firm away fans though"

And the 5,000 in Portgual without the top three will include fans of Porto, Sporting and Benfica who go to away games...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:36

I was answering eastendalloapar and Blackandwhitebloods question.Someone with a bit more time on their hands can work out the correct average though :)

Post Edited (Tue 27 Nov 19:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 19:46

Daft argument to take Rangers and Celtic out the equation. It just ends up turning in to auntie/baws/uncle scenario.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 20:16

Halbeath Road it might be the scenario if the European league thing starts and the bigot brothers leave to play in England.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 27 Nov 20:33

Have you been drinking white spirit?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 09:36

No HH only Black and Whyte whisky.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 10:25

"The 8500 will take into account Old Firm away fans though.

Just worked out the average of the other clubs currently sits at 8537 this season but this figure obviously includes travelling fans of the Old Firm"

If you remove the Glasgow pair, seven of the remaining ten clubs are well below that 8,500 figure for home gates, to date for this season.

Even the visit of Hearts, the best supported away side so far, has not raised these averages above the 8,500 for these clubs.

For example Motherwell's best crowd has been 7218 when Hearts were in town, and Kilmarnock's 6239.

Maybe a more accurate number crunching calculation is needed ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 13:36

As I've repeated, many time - what does it matter? By any scale, we have better crowds compared to countries with similar populations. We even outperform countries with significantly bigger populations. We don't compete at all with the bigger nations and that's fairly obvious. It seems there's an agenda to put our game down at every possible turn, and trying to compare us with much bigger countries and keeping on digging to find statistics to suit a view when countless other measures show the opposite.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 14:32

For a club like Motherwell to get 4000+
When their population is around the 40,000
Mark is very good in my eyes any team that
Gets around 10% of their population is well
Supported really.
Ian
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 14:42

I actually started this thread in the hope that it would show our club attendances in a good light in comparison to other clubs, especially some in the Premiership.

As with many things, it has expanded into a different area, but loads of information to absorb anyway.

Imo, football crowds outside the big clubs in any country are highly unlikely to ever approach anything like decades ago, but to have Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs almost filling their grounds at many games is healthy for them.
They just need to take a good travelling support to the smaller teams, so that they can get some benefit too.

On that point I heard that Rangers are only allocating Celtic 800 seats for their next Ibrox game. I think Celtic have or are going to reciprocate.

The cheeks just get it all their own way at every turn.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 14:51

It's interesting that when The Rangers 2012 were working their way through the league system the crowds at Parkhead were very small in comparison to the size of the ground.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 15:22

That’s because it’s not just the other 40 clubs that need them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 15:36

Compared to Rangers crowds in the early 80s the crowds at Parkhead were massive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 15:41

"It's interesting that when The Rangers 2012 were working their way through the league system the crowds at Parkhead were very small in comparison to the size of the ground."

I believe Celtic's season ticket sales dropped significantly when Rangers were in the lower leagues - mainly because there were to be no league visits from Rangers at Parkhead, and having an ST was the only way to be guaranteed.

"It seems there's an agenda to put our game down at every possible turn, and trying to compare us with much bigger countries and keeping on digging to find statistics to suit a view when countless other measures show the opposite."

There are plenty of negatives linked to Scottish Football without digging too far.

Inability to qualify for the last five World Cup finals, likwise the last five European championships - with qualification for the 2020 Euros uncertain.

Dismal failures, season after season for many years to get past qualifying rounds in European club competitions, with a few exceptions - losing to teams that most folk had never heard of previously.

Then there's the number of clubs that have gone into administration, one of them twice, followed by one of the country's two biggest clubs going into liquidation.

Happy Days ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 16:14

If I remember correctly about 1976-77 our crowd was about 3000. I had a friend who was a Hun, he used to jibe at me that had I been given the keys to lock up at EEP as ou crowd was poor. I remember pointing out to him the their crowds at that time were just over 4000. I can't remember why the crowds at I broke were so small, perhaps someone else will know. The Rangers 2012 would have had small crowds if it wasn't for Green moaning about how everyone was against them.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 20:43

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 28 Nov 15:41

"It's interesting that when The Rangers 2012 were working their way through the league system the crowds at Parkhead were very small in comparison to the size of the ground."

I believe Celtic's season ticket sales dropped significantly when Rangers were in the lower leagues - mainly because there were to be no league visits from Rangers at Parkhead, and having an ST was the only way to be guaranteed.

"It seems there's an agenda to put our game down at every possible turn, and trying to compare us with much bigger countries and keeping on digging to find statistics to suit a view when countless other measures show the opposite."

There are plenty of negatives linked to Scottish Football without digging too far.

Inability to qualify for the last five World Cup finals, likwise the last five European championships - with qualification for the 2020 Euros uncertain.

Dismal failures, season after season for many years to get past qualifying rounds in European club competitions, with a few exceptions - losing to teams that most folk had never heard of previously.

Then there's the number of clubs that have gone into administration, one of them twice, followed by one of the country's two biggest clubs going into liquidation.

Happy Days ?

One of ? Celtic were liquidated in 1994 😃
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 21:54

That’s interesting.

Who were the petitioning creditors, and when were the winding up proceedings heard at the Court of Session ?

Post Edited (Wed 28 Nov 22:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 28 Nov 23:17

I don't think Celtic were ever in liquidation, but they were pretty strapped for cash at one time.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 07:56

Celtic came within one hour of going into administration. Fergus McCann, knowing how that would affect the club, managed to convince the Kelly's to sell up before that happened.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 08:58

Celtic were on the brink, as you say, until the bunnet stepped in.

The club was restructured I think, all perfectly legal presumably, there was no petition to wind up, no court action in that regard and no receivers called in.

HH is clearly confused.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 09:07

You took it as per 😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 09:21

HH is on a religious mission to be a Fisher of men.

Problem is they have to be orange men.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 11:01

I met Fergus once, a Scottish Cup replay at Parkhead when we went down 4-0.

My mate knew one of the Celtic board through business and we got tickets adjacent to the directors box.

Got into the executive lounge at half time where the bunnet clocked my Pars scarf not too well concealed - he came over and congratulated me on my bravery !!!

I didn’t have time to tell him I knew his faither, that would have been interesting.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 11:56

Fergus did well when he was in Scotland. He saved the club, built a great stadium, made a huge profit and married an attractive wife.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 14:44

I noticed that Kilmarnock, where Steve Clarke is doing a fantastic job, have filled their ground only 34% to capacity all season.In total there are 5 clubs in the Premier who, on average have more spare seats than actual people there every week.Kind of fits into the stadium thread as well but no wonder some of our clubs struggle to make money and why most games completely lack atmosphere.The highest percentage of capacity filled in our division is Ross County with 59%(obviously helped by having a smaller stadium)-we are 3rd on 43%.

Post Edited (Fri 30 Nov 01:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neebur  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 19:22

Ross County!

Another team that highly inflate their home attendances
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: