DAFC.net
Home 12 December 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Manager on Thursday
Topic Originator: FergPar  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 22:39

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager on Thursday
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 23:07

I just do not watch his interviews anymore.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 23:23

Same crap every week , no solutions just crap

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 23:43

What could he say that would make you feel better?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 23:43

I'm away, taken us as far I can

The Prophet - 12/07/18.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Thu 29 Nov 23:55

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 29 Nov 23:43

What could he say that would make you feel better?

I wish Ian McCall all the best in his new role at Dunfermline. Im taking half the team with me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 00:14

Careful BD

The Prophet - 12/07/18.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 00:20

Unless he is offering his resignation I'm not interested.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 07:29

I know all managers don't give much away in interviews but AJ is the most uninspiring monotone bore to listen to.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 07:38

He sounds done.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 07:55

Rastapari wrote:

> He sounds done.
>
>

He does sound less positive than normal, but impressed he was up at Peterhead so the commitment is there. I think he realises he’s close the edge.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 08:31

No real commitment, it's his job lol!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 08:38

Some folk are more committed than others. I doubt there's a clause in his contract which says he must travel to a midweek game in Peterhead to scout opponents but he's probably been following that practice since he became a manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 09:44

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 30 Nov 08:38

Some folk are more committed than others. I doubt there's a clause in his contract which says he must travel to a midweek game in Peterhead to scout opponents but he's probably been following that practice since he became a manager.

You're wasting your time, Eck. The OP and his allies have pretty much decided AJ is not the man to take us forward and they may be right. What I can't be doing with is the repetive threads which come out, after every interview the manager gives, accusing him of repeating the same thing, again and again. Oh the irony.....

I wonder what the OP would have expected the manager to say yesterday?

"Yes, everything is going swimmingly, I've very happy with the way the team is playing and very confident we can bag another 3 pts v Morton to consolidate our place among the title contenders."

We'd all be phoning for the wee yellow van to come and take him away.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 09:56

As someone once said, GGR, 'Folks see what they want to see and disregard the rest'. No one's going to change anyone's opinion on this forum but it's important to put different points of view.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FergPar  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 10:37

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 10:48

He’s never been one for controversy so not quite sure the sudden ire at this! He probably views all interviews as pointless himself, as he really doesn’t want to give too much away, nor say anything that trips himself up. What good has ever come from a managers interview before a game anywhere?

He knows himself it’s been poor, and he knows himself that it’s a results business. Any more looking into it than that is pretty useless.

Can we just get behind the team on the park on Saturday and at least try and support them - you never know they might surprise us! The board know AJ is unpopular at the moment(I’d have made a change some time ago personally)but they have decided to support him, let’s support them in turn for a bit longer.

(Tin hat on 😂)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 10:51

In any interview I've read or listened to he has never denied that we should be doing better with the squad we have and in particular yesterday he said that the spate of injuries we've had recently is no excuse for our poor results. Last week he didn't use the sending-off to excuse the result. He was brutally honest and said we conceded two soft goals.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 10:56

Do the players bond together. Jimmy Calderwood took them away for bonding sessions, perhaps trips to the crazy golf or tenpin bowling might help them pull together.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 11:12

There was no evidence last Saturday at Dingwall to suggest the players aren't bonding. They had an overnight stay in preparation for that match didn't they and also for the trip to Borehamwood? Where do these rumours come from?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 11:39

Topic Originator: RMGpar like | nolike
Date: Fri 30 Nov 08:31

No real commitment, it's his job lol!

Disgaree, thats a trek any day of the week, I don't think every manager would that journey, yes a fixture in the central belt but not 3 hours up there. However stakes are high just now for him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 12:44

Owen Coyle, when he was managing St Johnstone, used to go down to the English Midlands to watch reserve and under-23 games with Sandy Stewart to see if there were any players he could get in on loan.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 12:54

It’s completely pointless going to scout a team if you’re going to line up the same way as every other week, regardless of what system the opposition play. Johnston would play the same team & formation away to Barcelona that he would play at home to Albion rovers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 13:31

There's a lot more to scouting a team than seeing what formation they play eg how do they defend/attack set plays, what are their strengths and weaknesses re personnel etc. Anyway, he doesn't play the same formation every week. Last week was different from the Falkirk game and, it seemed to me, he adapted the formation at Alloa to accommodate the narrowness of the pitch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 13:38

Some folk have just started making stuff up now. Deploying a man marker on Naismith was also a change in tactics that largely nullified his threat in the Hearts game.

We started the season playing with wing backs in a 3 5 2 and have changed again to a 4 4 2.

I'd have thought with AJ being such a terrible manager we'd have been able to keep the criticism aimed at things that have actually happened.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 14:02

Quote:

FergPar, Fri 30 Nov 10:37

A little bit off honesty, talk about how poor we've been this season, admit he's made mistakes. Instead he dips his hand in the cliché tombola and provides us with whatever he pulls out.

A little bit of honesty, Ferg? Can you recall how that worked out for Di Canio at Sunderland and Yogi Hughes at the San Starko?

Once a manager starts to criticise his players in public, he might as well put all his stuff in a box and get his coat.......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 14:03

Deploying a man marker? Hardly guardiola level thinking is it.. “Here, he’s good, follow him about”. I can absolutely guarantee it will be 442 this weekend, the same formation played against Falkirk, Alloa, Dundee Utd, Inverness, Partick Thistle, queen of the south etc etc etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 14:20

this is a manager who has overseen our worst start to the season in terms of home form outside the top league. when you serve up p!ss poor product to 5500 people chances are a good % will soon not return.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: daviepars1885  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 14:51

Lose tomorrow its all over for him i think
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 14:57

People were saying that against Falkirk aswell. People were saying that after we got thumped off QoTS etc etc. Sadly our board have it in their heads he's the man for the job.

A couple of weeks ago he was the man to take us forward, if a defeat to Morton at home was all that was needed to punt him then our board need were evidently talking utter nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 15:11

At least you've acknowledged you were wrong and have now just started bemoaning the lack of Gaurdiola level management available in the dizzying heights of the second tier of Scottish football.

And yes we might well play 4 4 2 tomorrow because that's been our most successful (Yes I know that's relative to a p!ss poor start) formation in the league so far.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 15:35

To be fair to AJ he has played 3 different formations this year, more than any he’s previously used in the last 3 seasons....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 15:38

If we get beat AJ will be off. Cannot possibly imagine him surviving. Even the most happiest of clappers will struggle to back AJ if we get gubbed. I don’t actually think we will get beat though. I think we’ll give Morton a pumping for some reason.

Post Edited (Fri 30 Nov 15:39)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sierra Nevada  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 15:52

This is the exact type of game AJ normally finds a win to save his skin for a few more weeks.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 16:21

Ok. I’m not expecting Johnston to be guardiola.. however, I’m equally not going to praise him for something so basic as man marking the premierships top goalscorer (at the time). It’s absolute bog standard stuff but I suppose that’s about the only thing we have to praise him for this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 17:01

''Sadly our board have it in their heads he's the man for the job.''

I think it would be more accurate to say the BoD do not believe there is a better, affordable alternative to AJ at this moment in time.

They're not going to change the manager for change's sake. If a new manager was to come in now and he failed to improve our league position, we'd have exactly the same scenario at the end of the season.

The last time we changed our manager in mid-season was JJ for John Potter.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 18:16

Quote:

Bamba-Daft, Fri 30 Nov 16:21

Ok. I’m not expecting Johnston to be guardiola.. however, I’m equally not going to praise him for something so basic as man marking the premierships top goalscorer (at the time). It’s absolute bog standard stuff but I suppose that’s about the only thing we have to praise him for this season.

That's an entirely different argument from never playing different formations though 😂😂

Play the ball not the man min!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DRFC_no1  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 18:46

Theres no point in scouting teams when your tactically inept and don’t know how to change a game to benefit your own team.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 19:00

It's amazing that someone who is 'tactically inept' has survived so long in the highly competitive world of football management.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 19:20

Unless it's a right mauling, AJ will be around for a while yet.

Going for a 1-1.

Post Edited (Fri 30 Nov 19:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 19:34

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 30 Nov 19:00

It's amazing that someone who is 'tactically inept' has survived so long in the highly competitive world of football management.

Aye it is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Boston Red Sox  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 20:39

I wouldn’t bother, it’s like speaking to the black knight out of the holy grail

Same rules apply
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 22:13

I was expecting Robbie Neilson to turn round that game tonight with a couple of tactical adjustments. He spoke to his assistant a lot though so that's OK.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 22:18

Five wins and a draw before tonight is ok. Something we've not achieved all season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 22:26

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 30 Nov 22:13

I was expecting Robbie Neilson to turn round that game tonight with a couple of tactical adjustments. He spoke to his assistant a lot though so that's OK.

Bore off and stick to your beige opinions.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 22:43

Quote:

Frank Butchers LoveHandles, Fri 30 Nov 22:26

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 30 Nov 22:13

Bore off and stick to your beige opinions.

It's not beige to offer a counter argument you plum 😃

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 30 Nov 23:30

<<Do the players bond together. Jimmy Calderwood took them away for bonding sessions, perhaps trips to the crazy golf or tenpin bowling might help them pull together.>>

I see on the BBC Scotland site that Partick Thistle took their players to an Army training camp in Argyll where they were kidnapped and manhandled by the SAS. One of their players was in tears and another ran off into the hills...

:)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 09:52

Roy Keane tried that at Ipswich. He said it was one of the biggest mistakes he made in management!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 10:21

If we go down, who gets the blame. The players, the manager or the fans. My guess is, the BOD will blame the fans.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 10:33

I don't think they would blame anybody, but it would be most ironic for the Board of a fan based club to blame those fans for relegation.

Most clubs would react by changing manager, but our Chairman has already expressed his thoughts on AJ at the last fans meeting.

You couldn't blame all the players and the, not one of them is having the kind of season that makes them indespensible.

They could blame themselves for making unsound decisions re contracts and maybe now g a bit too accomodating, but that would be harsh when money is so tight and they are all fans and work for nothing at that.

No, it would be a no blame game and we'd just dust ourselves down and be thankful that we still had a club, hoping for a better future.

It's only football after all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 11:39

"
The last time we changed our manager in mid-season was JJ for John Potter....."

As far as switches go GG that was a poor one, it should have been given to JP on an interim basis to see with how he coped with the step up, IIRC his first few games didn't produce the results. We then should have opened up applications.

That's what I'd want us to do here, give it to Craw for a few weeks to see how he does. Poorly? Open the applications up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Dec 11:41

Quote:

mach1, Sat 1 Dec 10:33

Most clubs would react by changing manager, but our Chairman has already expressed his thoughts on AJ at the last fans meeting.

The Chairman's stance is not set in stone, mach1. A couple of results like Dundee United achieved last night (God forbid) would almost certainly move him to re-evaluate the manager's position.

At the moment, there isn't a viable, affordable alternative to AJ who would jump at the chance to manage the Pars and produce a significant improvement in our fortunes with our current squad of fit, injured and suspended players.

Or maybe you know of a manager who is?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: