DAFC.net
Home 12 December 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 So what's our best team?
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 08:29

Firstly, let me start by saying that I'm convinced the top four will be Ross County, Dundee Utd, Ayr and the Pars.

Secondly, I believe we have a deeper squad than last year. The bench is normally filled with players with first team experience.

Thirdly, I think we have as much quality in the squad as last year. I think Keena and FEB have the potential to score as many goals as Clark and McManus. I think Justin Longridge can replace Aird and I think Beadling can fill Morris' boots.

Which begs the question, why have we started the season poorly?

I think the answer to that lies in the title of the thread. I'm certain that the manager still doesn't know his best team, although I'd suggest that he is not far away now?
Mitigating circumstances have been injuries and certain players falling short of the manager's expectations.

Generally, there would appear to be two types of manager. The ones that have a system or formation or way of playing, who then secure players to fit into that philosophy. I'll give Pep Guardiola as an example. The other type of manager assembles a group of good players and then tries to come up with a system. I'll give you Jose Mourinho as an example.
I would suggest that AJ falls into the latter category, which would explain, in my opinion, why it's taken so long for the team to show some form and consistency.
As I say, AJ now appears to be closer to knowing his best team. I'm sure he now knows the formation he must play to suit the type of player at his disposal.

So, what is our best team then? I'm sure we will get a number of different ones, but I would expect around 8 players to make everyone's team. I'm a believer in horses for courses, with certain players being suited to certain situations, but generally, the core of the team remains the same.

Pre-amble over, so what do I think? Well, if I had to name my strongest side, or a game that was a "must not lose", I'd go with this

........................................Robinson..................................
Craigen.............Beadling........................Ashcroft..........Martin.......
........................................Vincent.....................................
Higginbotham......................................................J.Longridge...
........................................Thomson..........................................
...............................Keena..............Faissal........................

A solid defence is the foundation of any team. If you concede 2 or 3 goals a game, then your chances of winning games are slim. Devine has not impressed me. Durnan is a better footballer, but lack of pace is his Achilles heal. For that reason, I'd play Beadling in there. I'd fully expect to see Ashcroft regain the form he has shown in the past two seasons, with a better partner.
Craigen and Martin, whilst not having the same attacking potential as Williamson and Longridge, would be better bets, especially for away trips to the Highlands or Tayside.

Vincent, I like in front of the centre-halves. Has a great work ethic and good at breaking up play and composed enough to play the simple ball to start an attack.

Higgy is my maverick. Guilty of looking to play the killer pass too quickly at times, but nobody can deny his talent and application ( aside from last week, of course ). There are enough solid types around him in my team, to allow him the opportunity to unlock defences.

The left hand side of midfield has been a problem position since Cardle got injured last season. I'm really not convinced by Muirhead or Hippolyte, therefore my choice would be Jackson. A sweet left peg, composure on the ball and, as already demonstrated, an eye for goal, makes him my clear pick for this role.

As shown yesterday, Thomson has a great engine and is the most likely to get up and support and get beyond the front men, a quality that is a must, especially when the team have their backs to the wall.

Up front, as suggested a few weeks ago, this is our best partnership. I'm certain if Keena can stay fit, then we will see Faissal to much better effect. Too often this season, Faissal ends up in positions that don't hurt defences. I'm sure that's borne out of frustration from the type of service he has been getting. In my team, he would never be more than 10 yards away from Keena, but always on the last man, looking for a flick from Keena, a pass down the side of the centre halves from our midfielders or a near post run to meet balls swung in by Higgy and Jackson.

Well, that's it folks. Time for some corn flakes and to watch last night's MOTD action. I'd be interested to read what others thought.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 02 Dec 08:34)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: So what's our best team?
Topic Originator: davidpars1885  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 08:38

———————Robinson ——————-
Craigen———Devine———Ashy———J Longridge——-
—————————Beadling———————
Higgy——————-Thomson—————Muirhead
——————-Keena————FEB———————

Connolly, Louis Longridge, Hippolyte coming on for Muirhead,Higgy and FEB
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 08:44

Raymie for manager! Lot of good stuff in that post, not sure about Beadling at the back but only because I have never seen him there but agree with most of that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 08:47

Hard to argue with any of that.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 09:06

Durnan over Devine any day of the week, the lad is a donkey.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 09:13

Whatever the best side is I think he needs to settle down and give the team some games together only tinkering when necessary eg Higgy being suspended

It does seem that AJ is constantly searching for his best starting 11 and also for the formation to play those comstant changes

If we can put a couple of results together the team will settle down and start to play without the fear that currently seems to affect their general play

The play offs are still within our reach. There are a couple of winnable away fixtures coming up in Partick and QOS then a home game against the leaders who I think are displaying exactly the confidence that we are lacking at the moment

Despite the clamour for AJ to be replaced it looks like it will not happen and we need to get behind the team at home and allow them to express themselves without fear of barracking. The away form is reasonably good if we can maintain that and pick up a few wins at home we can climb the table
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 09:34

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 2 Dec 08:29

Firstly, let me start by saying that I'm convinced the top four will be Ross County, Dundee Utd, Ayr and the Pars.

Secondly, I believe we have a deeper squad than last year. The bench is normally filled with players with first team experience.

Thirdly, I think we have as much quality in the squad as last year. I think Keena and FEB have the potential to score as many goals as Clark and McManus. I think Justin Longridge can replace Aird and I think Beadling can fill Morris' boots.

Which begs the question, why have we started the season poorly?

I think the answer to that lies in the title of the thread. I'm certain that the manager still doesn't know his best team, although I'd suggest that he is not far away now?
Mitigating circumstances have been injuries and certain players falling short of the manager's expectations.

Generally, there would appear to be two types of manager. The ones that have a system or formation or way of playing, who then secure players to fit into that philosophy. I'll give Pep Guardiola as an example. The other type of manager assembles a group of good players and then tries to come up with a system. I'll give you Jose Mourinho as an example.
I would suggest that AJ falls into the latter category, which would explain, in my opinion, why it's taken so long for the team to show some form and consistency.
As I say, AJ now appears to be closer to knowing his best team. I'm sure he now knows the formation he must play to suit the type of player at his disposal.

So, what is our best team then? I'm sure we will get a number of different ones, but I would expect around 8 players to make everyone's team. I'm a believer in horses for courses, with certain players being suited to certain situations, but generally, the core of the team remains the same.

Pre-amble over, so what do I think? Well, if I had to name my strongest side, or a game that was a "must not lose", I'd go with this

........................................Robinson..................................
Craigen.............Beadling........................Ashcroft..........Martin.......
........................................Vincent.....................................
Higginbotham......................................................J.Longridge...
........................................Thomson..........................................
...............................Keena..............Faissal........................

A solid defence is the foundation of any team. If you concede 2 or 3 goals a game, then your chances of winning games are slim. Devine has not impressed me. Durnan is a better footballer, but lack of pace is his Achilles heal. For that reason, I'd play Beadling in there. I'd fully expect to see Ashcroft regain the form he has shown in the past two seasons, with a better partner.
Craigen and Martin, whilst not having the same attacking potential as Williamson and Longridge, would be better bets, especially for away trips to the Highlands or Tayside.

Vincent, I like in front of the centre-halves. Has a great work ethic and good at breaking up play and composed enough to play the simple ball to start an attack.

Higgy is my maverick. Guilty of looking to play the killer pass too quickly at times, but nobody can deny his talent and application ( aside from last week, of course ). There are enough solid types around him in my team, to allow him the opportunity to unlock defences.

The left hand side of midfield has been a problem position since Cardle got injured last season. I'm really not convinced by Muirhead or Hippolyte, therefore my choice would be Jackson. A sweet left peg, composure on the ball and, as already demonstrated, an eye for goal, makes him my clear pick for this role.

As shown yesterday, Thomson has a great engine and is the most likely to get up and support and get beyond the front men, a quality that is a must, especially when the team have their backs to the wall.

Up front, as suggested a few weeks ago, this is our best partnership. I'm certain if Keena can stay fit, then we will see Faissal to much better effect. Too often this season, Faissal ends up in positions that don't hurt defences. I'm sure that's borne out of frustration from the type of service he has been getting. In my team, he would never be more than 10 yards away from Keena, but always on the last man, looking for a flick from Keena, a pass down the side of the centre halves from our midfielders or a near post run to meet balls swung in by Higgy and Jackson.

Well, that's it folks. Time for some corn flakes and to watch last night's MOTD action. I'd be interested to read what others thought.

Aye! That"s just what I was going to say. Great minds think alike 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 09:39

It's taken a long time for Raymie to come up with an excellent post, but he's certainly nailed it on this time.

Better late than never, bro........ ;-)

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:16

Worth waiting for.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paradox  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:17

AJs best spells as Pars manager have been when we played with a settled team. In League 1 and in our late run last year, the team pretty much picked itself.

The constant changes this season have reminded my of John Potter's time in charge - a team of individuals, no real plan, hoping to get lucky and stumble upon a winning formation.

Weirdly, I also think we might yet make the playoffs. Despite such a wretched season so far, the fact remains that we are not out of the running.

The win yesterday shouldn't paper over the cracks, and MUST be built on next week.

However, I don't think many Pars fans would have predicted a 3-0 win against a team above us in the league. The early goal would have helped settle the nerves.

I would rather we were successful under AJ than have to start again with a new manager and no guarantee that the change would work.

An important few weeks coming up...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:29

Quote:

Paradox, Sun 2 Dec 10:17

AJs best spells as Pars manager have been when we played with a settled team. In League 1 and in our late run last year, the team pretty much picked itself.

The constant changes this season have reminded my of John Potter's time in charge - a team of individuals, no real plan, hoping to get lucky and stumble upon a winning formation.

Weirdly, I also think we might yet make the playoffs. Despite such a wretched season so far, the fact remains that we are not out of the running.

The win yesterday shouldn't paper over the cracks, and MUST be built on next week.

However, I don't think many Pars fans would have predicted a 3-0 win against a team above us in the league. The early goal would have helped settle the nerves.

I would rather we were successful under AJ than have to start again with a new manager and no guarantee that the change would work.

An important few weeks coming up...

I wonder if you're not putting the cart before the horse, Paradox?

AJ rarely changed a winning side, unless it was for injury or suspension, but given results have been generally poor this season, he has been forced to tinker with the starting line up.

Would you persist with the same team if they were losing most games?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 10:32

Our best team is one that plays like the first half yesterday, with energy and determination to get the ball forward quickly, midfield supporting the attack and allowing the opposition little time to settle.

If AJ can achieve that most games, we will get the progress up the table that on paper we look capable of.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 11:01

Robinson.

Craigen.
Ashcroft.
Durnan.
J Longridge.

Vincent,
M Martin.
Thomson

Keena
FEB
Muirhead

You would not weaken or dilute that line up if you were to utilise Tom Beadling or Louis Longridge or Kallum Higginbotham..As Manager(thankfully I am not) I would have those 14 in every squad.We still need one more striker to come in on loan in January.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 11:48

Raymie for boss
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 12:02

unless its a striker from down south or one of the current loanees departs or signs permanently then no there isn't.

back to the OP...
point 1 we might finish top 4 but im far from convinced on that.
point 2 agree on that one.
point 3 don't agree with any of those at all.

its a shame its an 11 a side game cause it would be a hell of a lot easier if it was 13 or 14.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 14:23

Not sure about Beadling at centre half. Will be interesting to see him play there but I suppose since we've barely seen him in midfield this season we wouldn't be missing much if he did play there.

Can't agree with the stuff about the squad or the goalscoring potential of Keena and Faisal though. Clark was someone who could be playing poorly and still score, I can't see that happening with the two we have now. I don't think either of them have the same hussle and bustle as McManus either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Slevin Kelevra  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 14:55

Justin Longridge

We got style and we got grace
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 15:22

Justin Longridge must be the third brother we are going to sign as a striker in the transfer windae
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Higgys Mohawk  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 15:40

Beadling has played the majority of his youth with Sunderland at CB so can definitely play there. I’d like to see him given a game there alongside Ashcroft before saying that’s his best position for us. I’d go sit Durnan over Devine as I think he’s better in the air and he was coming onto a game before he got injured. I think a Beadling and Thomson CM pairing would be good. Both have the mobility to get around the pitch, Beadling can win a ball in the air and tackle while Thomson is box to box and likes a shot. Vincent is a good holding midfielder but is more one dimensional than Beadling. I’d also like to see the Higgy/Williamson combo on the right because they link up so well and although Williamson final ball isn’t always great he did get 10 assists last season. I liked the look of Muirhead yesterday and based on that I’d have him ahead of Hippo and Connolly. If we are away somewhere like Utd or County and needed to sit in more then we could switch the fullbacks to Craigen and Martin and potentially put Vincent into midfield too. Once we’ve got a fully fit squad we’d have decent subs to change a game, with L Longridge, Connolly, Ryan, Malaury Martin.

Faiss and Keena up front.

Robinson

Williamson
Durnan
Ashcroft
Longridge

Higgy
Thomson
Beadling
Muirhead

Keena
Faiss

The mowhawk (also referred to as a mohican) is a hairstyle in which, in the most common variety, both sides of the head are shaven, leaving a strip of noticeably longer hair in the centre.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsMad98  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 15:47

Robinson

Craigen
Ashcroft
Beadling
J.Longridge

L.Longridge
Thomson
Vincent
Higginbotham

El Bakhtaoui
Keena

RM DAFC
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 17:17

Great post Raymie.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Dec 17:18

My opinion on the strongest XI changes week to week so I can see why AJ's also will.

I'd be looking to go with:

Robinson

Williamson
Durnan
Ashcroft
J Longridge

Higgy
Beadling
Thomson
Craigen

Faz
Keena

There are plenty of options in the squad this year. We could easily play 4-5-1 also.

Of those not in the XI. I think Hippo & Connolly are both best suited to right midfield where they can cut inside but for me Higgy is best bet there. Muirhead was good against Morton but I feel Craigen is more a natural midfielder in a four. Beadling when fit is a fair improvement on Vincent. M Martin might be needed in games when the opposition are sitting deep at EEP. Lewis Martin is a very useful option when fit and could allow J Longridge to move forward, or Beadling to move backwards. Devine would be a lost resort for me. I can't see Ryan getting many minutes now, maybe at the end of matches when one of the front two is knackered. L Longridge is hard to see where he fits into a 4-4-2, probably as an option off the bench for one of the forwards.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 14:38

"Can't agree with the stuff about the squad or the goalscoring potential of Keena and Faisal though. Clark was someone who could be playing poorly and still score, I can't see that happening with the two we have now. I don't think either of them have the same hussle and bustle as McManus either. "

According to my research, Clarke scored 14 league goals last season and McManus chipped in with 7.

If Keena and Faissal can get 10 each ( not that Herculean a task? ) then we will have covered their goals?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 18:08

We've played 15 out of 36 league games and el Bak has scored one - a penalty. There's optimistic and there's fantasy. Keena might well get 12-15 goals but it's a big ask for essentially a young lad playing his first games at this level.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 19:20

How many games have they played together ?
21 games to go. They just need to score slightly less than one goal between them from now until the end of the season
I don’t think that’s fantasy.

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Mon 03 Dec 19:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 19:22

Some folk can't imagine that things can change but change is what makes football such a fascinating game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 19:26

I’d be interested in your take on my OP, eck

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-4-life  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 19:55

Good post and interesting points, I have a slightly different take on things but everyone’s different.

Point 1 - think we will struggle to make top 4 but would like to be proved wrong
Point 2 - agree we have a deeper squad but do the players not playing offer something different IMO no. One of Johnston’s failings in my book.
Point 3 - I believe the quality in the squad is weaker this season
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 20:02

When everyone is fit. I would go with.

Murdoch

Martin
Durnan
Ashcroft
Longridge

Mulrany
Connolly
Higginbotham
Thomson

Keena
Hippolyte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 20:25

Vg post and team too. Quite happily go with that team and it's a strong bench too, hopefully we come on strong in 2nd half. I agree top 4 will be us Ayr Ross and Utd.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 20:51

Same team as v Morton for the Partick game please.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 3 Dec 22:40

''Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend like | nolike
Date: Mon 3 Dec 19:26

I’d be interested in your take on my OP, eck''

I agree with your forecast of the likely top four, Raymie, and I think we have a deeper squad than last season but I don't think we have the same quality as we had with Morris at CB and Aird on the wing. Keena and FEB are different types of striker from Clark but they may turn out to be a decent pairing. I think AJ recruited initially with a view to playing three CBs with two WBs and so only signed one natural winger in Connolly although I think Muirhead has played most of his career wide on the left. He has shown up better in the last two games and I think he's worth persevering with.

My best team would probably be :-
Robinson
Williamson Durnan Ashcroft J Longridge
Higgy Beadling Thomson Muirhead
Keena El Bakhtouai

but in certain games we might play Craigen or Martin at RB as they're better defenders than Williamson.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 4 Dec 18:39

One criticism of AJ is that he doesn’t like to change a winning team – I think he would be quite happy to name the same 11 every week if they were winning (and not make any substitutions)

The problem is that inevitably there will be an injury or a suspension or a hideous loss of form, and you end up having to play someone who has played 3 minutes of first team football in 6 weeks. Maybe this is easier to do than I imagine. Ideally you will be winning some of these games by 3 or more, and you can give someone half an hour to keep them sharp and motivated.

However, I think it is better to finesse your main eleven and make the odd change – dependent on opposition or circumstances. Possibly not every week like Calderwood, but enough to make a difference.

As for style, does a manager choose the style then sign the players to play it (Like Levein, perhaps?)
Or does he get the best players he can then try to get the best out of them?

A good manager should be both, but in our situation, we probably have to veer towards the latter.

The championship is a 10 team division, in the middle divisions. Good teams will be in the premiership; bad teams will be in division 1 or 2. So you are likely to have 10 reasonably well-matched teams. 5th to 6th will be bang average. 4th will be a little bit above average. I think we have been pretty average this year, but like most teams if we put a good run together, 4th is easily within reach. Where are we budget wise? 5th?

As for a team, perhaps we should look at partnerships. Last season I though Ashcroft/Morris were very good (I think it was noticeable how things improved from early 2017 in 17/18 when Morris arrived), Clark/McManus were decent (but as has been pointed out Clark scored a lot of goals against weaker opposition which helped his stats) but centre-midfield was woeful. Cardle and latterly Aird added a bit of spark.

This season has been poorer. Devine has come on to more of a game, but I think Ashcroft/Durnan is a slightly better painting than Ash/Devine. Ashcroft/Beadling may be better still, but is untested.

Keena/FEB may be the best of the 47 different possible strike-forces, but again, largely untested.

I think Higginbotham/Williamson is our best attacking pair on the right. On the left – not sure – J-Lo and Muirhead showed promise this week – I might stick with that, but I’m not sure if I would use both pairings. It might be safer to play Craigen in there, for example.

As for centre-midfield. It may depend if we are playing with a flattish 4, a diamond, or even a 5. Ideally we need a bit of bite, height, movement, passing ability and goals. Difficult to achieve with perhaps only two players. I would put a fit Beadling in there, but he might be playing CB, in which case Vincent protecting the back four would get the nod. Possibly Thomson ahead of him – I had expected more of a goal threat from him but again, getting a run of games has been a problem. I’d like to use M. Martin’s passing ability, but not sure I can fit him into a four. Possibly in a 5. I liked the look of Louis Longridge (try saying that quickly) but again, not sure where he fits in.

In goals – a fit Murdoch would start, but not sure we will see that again so it has to be Robbo.

Then the subs – this is key as it is a 14 man game (IMO). A mixture of cover, old heads and impact players – players who can offer something different or nick a goal.

Where does that leave me? Well, this management malarkey is harder than I thought when I started this.

My best team? If it were a must win:

Robbo;
Williamson, Ashcroft, Beadling, J-Lo;
Higgy, Vincent, Thommo, Muirhead;
FEB, Keena

Subs: Gill; L Martin, Craigen, Hippo, Louis, Ryan, M Martin

BUT! – if it were a must not lose:

Robbo;
Craigen, Ash, Durnan, L Martin
Higgy, Beadling, M Martin, Thomson, Louis;
Keena

Subs: Gill, J-Lo, Williamson, FEB, Hippo, Ryan, Vincent

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 4 Dec 22:18

As alluded to, I don't think we have a "best" XI.

For instance, Malaury Martin is the best passer of the ball at the club. He's also not particularly mobile. If we're playing against opponents where we are likely to have the lion's share of the ball, I would always play him. If we were playing against a side where we needed to dig in and hit on the break, I might leave him out.

Similarly, there would be some situations where I'd play one up front and some where I'd play two. I'd likely not play Keena up front on his own but he'd always be one of the two strikers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 02:00

Raymie’s team - couple of pointers on it

Interestingly the manager has not had Beadling or Martin available to him all season. In addition Keena has only recently been available.

I would be very nervous about expecting J Longridge to perform at left wing. As with many fullbacks their effectiveness going forward comes from their comfort in their starting position. Seen it a few times where a full back has moved further up the park and it’s sinply not worked. The addition of Martin there is an interesting one.

I would still rather have Williamson than Craigen at right back - that said, if we could get £100k for Williamson in the window (one can but dream) then I’d let him go and go with the above.

I’d still rather have beadling in holding midfield than Vincent as he is much more mobile, and Durnan at centre back.

It’s not a million miles away, but Fais and Keena up front is the only partnership I think we have that can work. Ryan, Hippo, L Longr, all just poor imitations for me in that position.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Slevin Kelevra  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 08:54

Mulraney plays for Hearts.

We got style and we got grace
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pearcey  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 10:17

I honestly can't see why so many are suggesting Beadling at centre back. He's been playing in midfield ever since he's been here and I can't see that changing unless we have only one other centre back fit. When he was signed on a permanent deal in the summer we were all raving about how good a signing he was and that he could be the best midfielder in the league. Now for whatever reason people are suggesting playing him at centre back. Utter madness!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 10:36

Beadling has actually spent most of his time at Sunderland playing as a center back.

I think some people rate Beadling that highly that he would be better used covering defensive deficiencies than in midfield where I'm assuming the thoughts are that we have more cover.

Personally I can see arguments all ways but it's definitely not madness to suggest he plays in either defence or midfield.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 10:38

Quote:

Bucuresti Par, Sun 2 Dec 17:18

My opinion on the strongest XI changes week to week so I can see why AJ's also will.

I'd be looking to go with:

Robinson

Williamson
Durnan
Ashcroft
J Longridge

Higgy
Beadling
Thomson
Craigen

Faz
Keena

Only tweaks I'd make to this is have Craigen in place of Williamson, he's earnt it in my opinion, and have Louis fill the void in midfield who is always active.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pearcey  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 10:43

I'm not saying he is incapable of playing at centre back but would be a waste of his talents IMO. Plus, we've never really seen him play there to suggest he's any better than current options, never mind playing him there in our best XI. However, he is a solid addition to our midfield and I would like to see him partner Joe Thomson in there on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 10:47

No doubt that's a solid argument but I'd wager some of the folk advocating he plays in defence could put up q solid argument too. Personally I just want to see more of him on the park!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Wed 5 Dec 11:04

ROBINSON
WILLIAMSON DURNAN ASHCROFT LONGRIDGE

CRAIGAN BEADLING THOMSON

HIGGY FAISAL

KEENU
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: