DAFC.net
Home 12 December 2018 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Danny Galbraith's Blog
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 02:02

I discovered this blog while I was searching for more information about his signing for Edinburgh City.

https://dannygalbraith.wordpress.com/

It's a good read and very informative about life as a footballer in the lower echelons. He's very honest about things without being sensationalist, the blogs about long term injuries, being out of contract and being a trialist are real eye openers.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Danny Galbraith's Blog
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 04:31

An excellent blog. There was a paragraph in "He who can't be named" that struck a very strong chord, putting me very much in mind of the situation we had with Nicky Clark for long spells last season and with Faiss until recently...

"Football is a business. If you’re a manager and have a player at the top of your wage bill sitting on the bench then it won’t be long before you have the chairman knocking your door down demanding to see their investment on the pitch. If you’ve got two players in the same position, with one on double the salary of the other, who do you think a manager has more pressure to select? Much of the time who actually deserves to play is not the deciding factor, further evidence of some of the unseen politics rife in the game. Have you ever wondered why some players seem to play every week regardless of form while others are cut adrift at the first sign of a mistake? There’s often more to it than meets the eye. Some players are simply too costly not to play and it takes one strong character of a manager to be able to see past this. Certainly not the type who expects a player to commit to them for free while offering nothing in return."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 06:02

I’m not so sure, Oz. Some managers have walked because of interference from the BOD. I don’t think BOD’s will do any more than ask the question about top earners being left out the team, but I doubt many will put pressure on managers to pick a team they think should start.
We paid for Andy Ryan but hardly play him. After that howler of a miss I’d be surprised see him again.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 07:22

Some excellent, insightful blogs, by Danny. He is obviously a very thoughtful and intelligent man.

From what I know of our Chairman and our manager, I'd say there's virtually no chance that AJ has ever been put under any pressure to play one particular player.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: petrie_pants  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 09:17

The lad from Arbroath, Danny Denholm, also writes a really good blog.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 09:34

I agree that our chairman is unlikely to put pressure on the manager per se. However, there were stories going around that Clark's wages were being paid for by a sponsor. There was also talk of this with Faiss too. If true, it beggars belief that a sponsor would not wish to see their man on the park and the chairman would be getting it in the ear.

Not saying this was the case, just testing your argument.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 10:03

Genuine question - What benefit does a sponsor of a player get if he or she is anonymous and why would it matter if he played or not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 10:04

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 6 Dec 10:03

Genuine question - What benefit does a sponsor of a player get if he or she is anonymous and why would it matter if he played or not?

Pass! ☺

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 6 Dec 22:04

I don't think who paid Nicky Clark's wages would have made any difference to whether he played or not. He played because he was better than anyone else at putting the ball in the onion bag
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 7 Dec 02:07

Danny (and some fans) might think that way, but a manager's job depends first and foremost on results on the field of play. If any manager is pressured by a chairman or sponsor into choosing any player against the manager's better judgment then he is in the wrong job.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: