DAFC.net
Home 22 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Homophobic chanting
Topic Originator: seagull1  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 11:34

A Chelsea supporter was fined £965 and banned from football for three years after being found guilty of homophobic chants at last month's game at Brighton.

I’m not saying I agree with the severity of the punishment but maybe a wee warning how serious this can be taken by the authorities.
Taken from a sky news website.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Homophobic chanting
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 11:39

think what was sung was actually Homophobic and not about a married hetrosexual man and unproven bedroom preferences.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 11:41

Never mind how it is seen by authorities. It is a horrible thing to abuse anyone in anyway. Common decency and a conscience should dictate that. Why should anyone be questioning or berating someone's life choices. No wonder there are so many people feeling so low in life these days. Some people think they are better than others and like to make that a know fact.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skerla  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 11:44

Why wouldn’t you agree with the severity of the punishment.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 11:52

Because it my opinion it’s a little severe.
I’m not defending the guys actions but it’s known that any offence whilst committed at a football match brings a heavier judgement at court, for no other reason that it’s deemed more serious because the said offence was football related.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 12:02

Quote:

seagull1, Mon 7 Jan 11:52

Because it my opinion it’s a little severe.
I’m not defending the guys actions but it’s known that any offence whilst committed at a football match brings a heavier judgement at court, for no other reason that it’s deemed more serious because the said offence was football related.

I really thought the other way tbh. People get away with far more at a game than in everyday life. For every person fined and banned like him there are 10's of thousands who aren't. i'm sure he wouldn't walk down the street on his own chanting bile such as this. If he did then he deserves all he gets, if he doesn't then why is it ok at a game of football? It should be a fine in the £1000's and a 10 year ban IMHO, might finally send a message that it's not ok to do this.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:02

Agreed that people do get away with shouting or singing things at football that they wouldn’t do anywhere else.
It’s why the ‘Old Firm’ fans have got away with & still do, singing their nonsense at games.
If you do find yourself arrested & brought before the court though, you will be dealt with more severely if the crime can be proven to be ‘football related’.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:04

Nonsense
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:10

Why is it nonsense?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:13

If it was racist chanting would the same level of fine be correct?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:23

The judge will give out the level of fine he deems fit for whatever type of chanting it is, based on the legal options available to him.

My point is if you said/sang the exact same words but not at the football the fine would not be as severe. The judge wouldn’t have an option to ban you from a attending or doing something that you enjoy as he can with the banning order.

Therefore automatically because the offence was committed at the football you are punished more severely.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:41

Quote:

pars no1, Mon 7 Jan 11:41

Why should anyone be questioning or berating someone's life choices.

It's not a choice.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:41

What are basing this on? Unless your in the middle of the street then there’s a good chance you’ll be banned from whatever ship pub or restaurant you are in. There’s no justification including at the football for this vile behaviour.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:51

VEE will be wetting himself when he sees this
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:54

Just another reason the premier league is getting to the point of being unwatchable(anyone else have the mute button on?)Year in year out it's getting less about football.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 13:55

Pars no1 I’m definitely not condoning this type of behaviour.
As you said if you did this in a pub/restaurant then rightly the proprietor would ban you for however long he/she deems fit.

My point is if you committed the exact same offence even outside EEP at say quarter to 3 on a Saturday match day the punishment would be different if you did the same thing later on at the same place say 10pm.

For me it shouldn’t make a difference the punishment should be the same wether committed in the street, a public house or inside a football ground.

Football fans get a raw deal, imo. Have you ever witnessed how a really drunk rugby fan is treated differently to a football fan in the same state?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 14:25

TBH I don't think it would be that different. You'd get a fine and a ban which is what this guy got.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 14:37

"VEE will be wetting himself when he sees this"

Most amusing sir, well played :-)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 18:14

Quote:

seagull1, Mon 7 Jan
My point is if you committed the exact same offence even outside EEP at say quarter to 3 on a Saturday match day the punishment would be different if you did the same thing later on at the same place say 10pm.

Have you got any examples of the authorities treating football fans more severely compared to the same crime elsewhere?

I genuinely don't believe that to be the case, but happy to be proved wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 18:28

"think what was sung was actually Homophobic and not about a married hetrosexual man and unproven bedroom preferences."

If you're trolling, you're getting a bit boring. If you're serious then you need to have a word with yourself. Either way, this kind of guff is what's ruining this once fine website.

"Just another reason the premier league is getting to the point of being unwatchable(anyone else have the mute button on?)Year in year out it's getting less about football."

So what you're saying is that we should have more homophobic chants at football? How about racist shouts? How about throwing bananas at black players? Ah, the good old days, eh?

"My point is if you committed the exact same offence even outside EEP at say quarter to 3 on a Saturday match day the punishment would be different if you did the same thing later on at the same place say 10pm."

Hasn't the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act been repealed now? If it hasn't then I agree with the sentiment. There are already laws in place for a reason and the punishment should reflect the crime, not any extra circumstances (especially if they are so spurious).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 23:50

KP,have you watched the premier league lately.When was the last time a match started without some ceremony or social statement.

The way to circumvent any homophobia,racism or sectarianism is to send the message "Respect everyone"Most folks do when they are at the match.

Post Edited (Tue 08 Jan 00:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hail2Crail  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 11:57

Words don't harm people. Rappers do.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 11:58

Quote:

Hail2Crail, Tue 8 Jan 11:57

I read that in a Welsh accent.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 13:08

Quote:

Hail2Crail, Tue 8 Jan 11:57

Yeah, I saw that on a documentary on BBC 2.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 13:13

Just say no, just like Zammo.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: