DAFC.net
Home 19 June 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The "New Manager Bounce"
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 17:09

This is a potted summary of one chapter in an excellent book called "Soccernomics", which examines (and generally explodes) many of the myths surrounding football.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/soccernomics-does-sacking-manager-actually-make-difference

The particular chapter deals with whether or not a team's results benefit from a new manager coming into a club - the fabled "new manager bounce". Ironically the book was written at a time when Mourinho had just been sacked by Chelsea, and under Hiddink the team had gone 12 games without defeat. It's not dissimilar to the current situation at Manchester Utd, where Solksjaer is on a run of wins after replacing Mourinho.

The book has a lot more detail than the summary, but basically any "new manager bounce" is about regressing to the mean - after a series of bad results it is statistically likely that a team that is underperforming will put together a few good results, irrespective of who the manager is. The final league position is much more dependent on the quality of the players, which (in the EPL at least) is related directly to the wage bill.

In the Scottish context in recent years, it's clear that St Mirren (Jack Ross), Livingston (Gary Holt), Rangers (Steven Gerrard) and Kilmarnock (Steve Clarke) did the right thing. The jury is still out IMO on Falkirk (Ray McKinnon), Partick (Gary Caldwell), Dundee Utd (Robbie Nielsen), Dundee (Jim McIntyre), Dumbarton (Jim Duffy).

In the whole of the SPFL, only 3 clubs - Peterhead (Jim McInally), Aberdeen (Derek McInnes) and St Johnstone (Tommy Wright) have had the same manager for more than 5 years, and in that period each has enjoyed a fair amount of success. Only at 3 other clubs - Ayr (Ian McCall), Hamilton (Martin Canning), Dunfermline (Allan Johnston) has the manager been in post longer than 3 years, and again there has been some success (and failures) at each. But at 18 of the 42 clubs, the manager has been in post for less than a year!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Scottish_Professional_Football_League_managers

I wonder if it's just that, in an era of short attention spans, managers have a shelf life before fans (or even directors) get bored with a manager and reckon that "something needs to be done" to improve things - in which case, should managers be changed every season???? ;)

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive

Post Edited (Mon 07 Jan 17:30)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The "New Manager Bounce"
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 18:59

AJ lost the plot on Saturday though. He embarrassed himself, surely no way back. If our chairman can't make a tough decision other members of the board need to speak up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 19:05

Maybe we should just let them get on with things behind the scenes?
The board are hardly going to announce anything in public but I'm sure they are not blind to what is going on.
My guess is he has to the end of the season to save his job.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 19:21

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Mon 7 Jan 19:05

The board are hardly going to announce anything in public but I'm sure they are not blind to what is going on.

He should have been punted months ago. No season ticket for me next season if he is anywhere near EEP.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 19:23

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Mon 7 Jan 19:05

I didn't mean speak up in public. Maybe give the chairman a call though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 19:28

It's a shame Stanza's interesting opening post has lead to yet another 'AJ Out' thread. I'm sure that wasn't his intention.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 19:43

In my time, it has mostly been the opposite:
Tam Forsyth
Iain Munro
Jocky Scott
Davie Hay
Steven Kenny
John Potter
All got off to shocking starts.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 20:30

"It's a shame Stanza's interesting opening post has lead to yet another 'AJ Out' thread. I'm sure that wasn't his intention."

Indeed - football discussion should be wider, although obviously there are connections.

I just find it interesting how much focus there is on the manager at a club, and not on the players whose job it is to win a game. We hear this so often nowadays: " Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock are gearing up for a clash with Neil Lennon's Hibernian" etc,

Obviously a manager at a club has an influence - he decides (within the budget set for him) who will be signed/released, who will play in any given match and what the formation will be. But very seldom does it make any significant difference in the long run compared to the effect of available resources - Celtic will always be near the top of the league and Hamilton will always be near the foot.

Occasionally there is the rare case of exceptional managers leading unfancied teams to overperform - Stein with Dunfermline and Celtic, or Clough with Forest and Derby (interestingly, both "failed" at Leeds, an arguably bigger club.)

I did especially like the phrase:
"Sacking the manager is a ritual, football’s version of the Aztecan human sacrifice. When the team does badly, he goes."
Look what happened to the Aztecs when confronted by an army with better weapons .... :)

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 20:39

Very interesting post Stanza 👍🏻
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 20:48

Quote:

BigJPar, Mon 7 Jan 18:59

AJ lost the plot on Saturday though. He embarrassed himself, surely no way back. If our chairman can't make a tough decision other members of the board need to speak up.

The chairman does not own the club. The whole board makes decisions.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 7 Jan 21:45

Quote:

Blackandwhiteblood, Mon 7 Jan 20:48

Quote:

BigJPar, Mon 7 Jan 18:59

The chairman does not own the club. The whole board makes decisions.

Correct
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Super Johnnie  
Date:   Tue 8 Jan 23:05

I yield to no one in my admiration for my right honourable friend Stanza's erudite and forensic posts. But surely "regressing to the mean" after a series of poor results will look and feel like a "bounce" - new manager or no? Imagine us winning the league under AJ after the five months we've just had. I for one would feel positively bouncy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 01:22

Super Johnnie is too kind. Sharing an office with me has obviously applied a rosy tint to his spectacles.

The article (and the book from which it is taken) do in fact suggest that there often is a "bounce" after a new manager is appointed.

But the argument put forward is that because sacking the manager usually occurs after a run of particularly bad results, and (assuming that the team is in fact "underperforming" and isn't just genuinely rubbish) then in order for results to regress to the mean performance level appropriate to the quality of the team, there has to be a run of good results.

Managers often use this theory after a single defeat, saying the team will "bounce back" in the next game.

Take Dundee Utd - I think almost everyone would agree it was right to sack Czaba Laszlo, but it was only done after a 5-1 home defeat by Ross County, which was then followed by a 2-0 defeat by Ayr. Robbie Nielsen came in, and in their next 6 games United collected 16 points - an obvious "bounce". But in their next 6 games they have only collected 6 points - their average points over the 12 games (1.83) is still better than under Laszlo (1.57), but since they will lose on Saturday it will fall to 1.69, very similar to the Laszlo average ..... :)

However, general statistics can't be made to predict what will happen in any individual situation - human beings are too variable and will bring their own dynamic to it. If it could be guaranteed that by changing the manager DAFC would get 16 points from our next 6 matches, that might be very attractive - but there can be no such guarantee. (And the same logic would suggest we should change the manager every 6 games .....)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 02:01

The 'new manager bounce' is an interesting phenomenon, and one that most of us believe in. And interestingly, it doesn't seem to apply as much (or perhaps is not be as visible) if the change of manager occurs during the off-season?

But this is not limited to football alone.
Here in Australia, Aussie Rules and Rugby League teams that are not doing well sometimes have a change of coach mid-season and the same phenomenon can occur, to the extent that it would be a brave tipster to tip or bet against that team for the next game.

However, there have been a couple of Aussie Rules teams that have taken a more reasoned approach in recent years. Those teams (Richmond and Collingwood for those playing at home) have both, at different times, signalled during the season that a complete review would be undertaken at the end of that season (no prisoners taken, that sort of rhetoric). That seemed to placate the team's supporters for the remainder of that year, although it did nothing for the on-field performances at the time.
At the end of the season, the review of the whole team's organisation, structure, performance measures, etc., was undertaken, and the findings (and recommendations) tabled at board level. The board, in both cases, then made a series of decisions:
- Re-appointed the head coach for a further term.
- Implemented changes to personnel in a range of support roles (e.g. assistant coaches, fitness / conditioning staff, etc.). In effect, the head coach was given a clean slate to restructure his supporting team.
- Decisions re the playing group were left to the head coach, and his (new) support staff.
- Publicised their support for the head coach, what was changing, and also a few details of what the longer-term goals were.

In the cases of both teams, their resultant on-field success was not overnight (in the following season) but the performance of both teams in those following seasons improved to such an extent that both teams have been at the top of the league when it counted.

And interestingly, neither team saw their membership numbers fall by taking this approach. But, then again, Aussie Rules supporters are pretty ironed on to their particular teams.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Super Johnnie  
Date:   Sat 19 Jan 20:09

Looks like the new manager bounce is a myth after all, Stanza
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 19 Jan 20:25

It was a huge risk letting AJ go.
We might have still lost today I know but not 3-0

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 19 Jan 20:28

Unfortunately the players continue to make mistakes or poor decisions as they did under AJ. Last week it was Craigen/Hippo this week it was Ashcroft. Until they cut these out it's going to be hard to win matches regardless of who the manager is.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 02:13

It is easier to win a match if we have forwards who can score a goal.

Ryan was in Hospital and Keena recalled.

Sadly FEB,Hippo,Connolly and Muirhead are not the calibre but cannot go till May.If Myles has a two year contract it may mean warming the bench.

I find it galling when the defence and midfield are more than adequate.The Match at Falkirk was the proof of that particular Pudding.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:29

A sadly , the system we are playing does not suit the players we have. No change , just a continuation from where AJ left off. Most fans are blaming the forwards, however, by the time the ball comes to them the opposition have packed their defence with no way through to score. Get two wingers in with speed to hit the byline with a decent cross in them, then you will see a different forward line.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:48

The defence and midfield are hardly more than adequate, not for me anyway.

The whole team are poor with no obvious or easy way out, but like steaua, I deplore the lack of real wingers.
We play Faissal as a lone striker and he spent a lot of the first half doing what a winger should taking on their fullback.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:51

If the new manager can’t effect a change, then the only other way is to bring in a couple of new players.
It’s very, very stale right now

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:54

Absolutely mach1, he spent a good part of the game going from one side of the pitch to the other trying to get a ball. Some people do not watch the game as intensely as other so they miss things like that. Wing play is the way ahead for the players we have , mainly till the end of this season. Please!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:54

There are a lot of myths and half truths which many of us are convinced to be absolute gospel. You only need to look at how superstitious some fans, players and even managers can be.

The "new manager bounce" is no different, imo. There's absolutely no doubt that a new manager coming in, can bring about a dramatic improvement in a team's results, as has been the case at Man U. Many of us will be pointing to that for many years to come. You don't believe me? Well, older Pars fans still talk about how Jock Stein' s arrival at EEP saved the Pars from almost certain relegation in 1960. It was before my time but I think they won their last 6 games and only just made it.....

Our brains are programmed to remember things that happen rather than those which don't, so if a new manager produces a turn around we remember it, or a substitute comes on and score with his first touch. When things carry on as before, it's usually quickly forgotten.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 08:59

I don't understand why the board straight away appointed an untried manager without a caretaker period to see how it went and take time to look at all options and applicants. That way, the new boys get a chance and if they do well, the job is theirs. Not learned from the Potter mistake.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GEW35  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 09:17

Quote:

chewie, Sun 20 Jan 08:59

I don't understand why the board straight away appointed an untried manager without a caretaker period to see how it went and take time to look at all options and applicants. That way, the new boys get a chance and if they do well, the job is theirs. Not learned from the Potter mistake.

Perhaps Stevie Crawford turned down being in charge until the end of the season? He maybe said permanent or not at all to the Board? I’ve no idea, just a suggestion.
My thoughts are that we appointed SC too quickly. It wouldn’t have hurt to wait and see who expressed an interest in managing our club. Don’t get me wrong, I want nothing more than success for the new management team but, on yesterday’s showing it’s not coming anytime soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 16:52

I think the NEW manager bounce does not really apply in our present situation as Stevie has been here for months and was in fact coaching the same players we have now.... So maybe we are witnessing a business as usual with the players having nothing to prove or to try harder to catch the eye of a New unfamiliar manager ......just saying
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 18:11

Quote:

Buspasspar, Sun 20 Jan 16:52

I think the NEW manager bounce does not really apply in our present situation as Stevie has been here for months and was in fact coaching the same players we have now.... So maybe we are witnessing a business as usual with the players having nothing to prove or to try harder to catch the eye of a New unfamiliar manager ......just saying

Was Stevie not mainly involved with the reserve team ? ie. mainly youth players.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 18:21

Aye G.G. ....I suppose my point was that its not a huge cultural change or new challenges/expectations to be met by the players and I don't think for one minute minute they were never trying for A.J.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Glenrothes Par  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 20:53

I really dont know how the system works, but at the end of the day The
manager stands
and falls by the results and the performance on the park .We seem to lose
quality players at the end of last season and I just dont know
who is responsible for signing new players but it is quite obvious to everyone
most of the signings have not been of the standard of the players lost. Why?
Who is responsible for signing these players? Is it all the managers fault ?
I would like to know how it works?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 20:58

You can still blend the players you have got to better effect if you have the know how.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 21:05

It was always going to be difficult to replace Nicky Clark,Declan McManus,Fraser Aird and Callum Morris on our budget.

What was inexplicable was seeing Connolly replacing Cardle, or Devine/Durnan replacing MvOto ,while Wedderburn would have been an adequate squad player, given our midfield is fine.

AJ buckled to the Fans' euphoria over FEB and, sadly, it has not worked out.I would not have invited Hippolyte here without an apology to the fans.As for Muirhead he is a shadow of his former self.

These players should have no future at East End after 31st May.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 21:10

Quote:

steaua, Sun 20 Jan 20:58

You can still blend the players you have got to better effect if you have the know how.

100% this

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 20 Jan 21:26

I think it is very wrong to lay the blame on individuals. Usually when something is failing you have to look at the system and structure internally and externally. Its easy to reduce the problem and say its the managers fault. A more holistic view of the issues is needed. There are a number of factors I believe are at play here such as;
a. Lack of finance and business investment
b. Short term contracts
c. Loan players and loan deals
d. League structure and number of games
e. Club running costs
f. The level of expectation of supporters
g. Crowd numbers and admission fees
h. Agents
I. Lack of potential coming through into the game

These are just a few. Im sure there are many many more.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 07:40

When we have Gates larger than six Premiership clubs; surely we can have an expectation not to be dangerously close to the Championship Relegation zone?

The enormity of the task he has taken on was etched across Stevie Crawford's face in his post match interview on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 07:46

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 21 Jan 07:40

When we have Gates larger than six Premiership clubs; surely we can have an expectation not to be dangerously close to the Championship Relegation zone?

The enormity of the task he has taken on was etched across Stevie Crawford's face in his post match interview on Saturday.

And that's another worry, didn't look like there was much fight or enthusiasm in there, look a bit scared of it all and very downbeat.
He's got a hell of a task with bang average tools to be fair but jings there's not a lot of energy or excitement flying about.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 07:52

Can anyone on the Forum ,please ,explain the role of Consultant Jackie McNamara?

I would have thought his first advice would have been to bring in an experienced Manager.

Suddenly the Club has a bureaucracy to rival imperial China.

Was Jackie at Starks Park?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 08:08

Silema Par yes I agree on the size of the support and gate receipts but I wonder if that is sufficient to keep the club going financially. Perhaps the premiership clubs have better sources of investment than us. Personally I fear that we could end up back in part time football in the next couple of years

Post Edited (Mon 21 Jan 08:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 08:16

"Can anyone on the Forum ,please ,explain the role of Consultant Jackie McNamara?"

I would very much doubt that

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 08:35

Quote:

Sliema Par, Mon 21 Jan 07:52

Can anyone on the Forum ,please ,explain the role of Consultant Jackie McNamara?

I would have thought his first advice would have been to bring in an experienced Manager.

Suddenly the Club has a bureaucracy to rival imperial China.

Was Jackie at Starks Park?

Why would they matter? He's not a club employee.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 08:37

Don't know if he was at Starks Park, but I do know he was at EEP last Thursday with two others, as I spoke to him just outside the Hub door.

Post Edited (Mon 21 Jan 13:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 13:33

Well that is encouraging.

I admired the fact that, even when he played for Celtic,you often saw him at EEP when the Glasgow club did not have a match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: HalbeathRoad  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:01

Defeat on Saturday and Crawford can bounce on out the door. Shocking appointment. RM and co not fit for purpose.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:05

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Mon 21 Jan 18:01

Defeat on Saturday and Crawford can bounce on out the door. Shocking appointment. RM and co not fit for purpose.

Nothing like giving the new guys a chance eh?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:09

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 21 Jan 18:05

Quote:

Crawford has absolutely no experience whatsoever. A completely unacceptable appointment. I don’t have a particular gripe with SC. RM should do the honourable thing and step down. Decision after decision he has totally fecked up. The club are a shambles and it all leads back to one man.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:19

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Mon 21 Jan 18:09

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 21 Jan 18:05

Quote:

Crawford has absolutely no experience whatsoever. A completely unacceptable appointment. I don’t have a particular gripe with SC. RM should do the honourable thing and step down. Decision after decision he has totally fecked up. The club are a shambles and it all leads back to one man.

Aye, your pal, Gavin.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:21

It is absurd to call for Stevie to step down after two games.
We were unfortunate to lose at Tannadice and yes, Saturday was a disaster result wise but all that happened in the last quarter of the game when before we were the better team.
The problem Stevie has is exactly the same as AJ had and that is not having an out and out goalscorer.
Those who slagged Clark off for an apparent lack of workrate should now be looking at themselves.
I remember Ally McCoist was accused of the same but a penalty box striker who bags goals for fun shouldn't be required to run about like a headless chicken.

It is vital in this window we find such a player who's main interest is sticking the ball in the sack.

As for this season, we can write off playoffs for promotion and concentrate all our efforts at rebuilding our confidence.
I would hope the fans can get behind an already downbeat squad and not fire into them at the first mistake or goal conceded.
Fans have to do our part as well in the coming weeks.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:24

Quote:

Chilleth thy heid and calmeth thy titties min.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:25

The fans are the best thing about the club at the minute.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 18:47

Quote:

HalbeathRoad, Mon 21 Jan 18:25

The fans are the best thing about the club at the minute.

Not all of them

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 21 Jan 19:23

"you often saw him at EEP when the Glasgow club did not have a match."

Shaun Byrne was sat just a row or two in front of us on Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Jan 05:55

2794 fans at Starks Park on Saturday suggests the fans are playing their part.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end