DAFC.net
Home 22 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Memorable Comebacks or Turnarounds
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:08

Most Pars fans won't thank me for bringing this up, but Alloa's fightback from 0-2 at half time to snatch an unlikely draw, got me thinking about some of the Pars games I've seen which have involved either ourselves or our opponents making a dramatic comeback when the game seemed - and maybe should have been - done and dusted. (I would discount any game in which one team comes back to win from only a goal down, as I think that is reasonably commonplace - about 20% of games, I think?)

I don't know why but most of the games that stand out in my memory were actually lost by the Pars.... :-( My first recollection is a top of the table clash v Kilmarnock in 1964. The Pars were 2-0 up after 25 mins but ended up losing 3-2. In 1966, I witnessed two of the most amazing league games ever seen at EEP. A 6-5 victory by Hibs after the Pars had fought back to 5-5 after being 0-4 down at halftime and 2-5 after 75 mins. (We appeared to score the winner in stoppage time when their goalie grabbed the ball back from over the line but the ref didn't give it and while Pars players protested furiously, Hibs ran up the park and scored.) Two months later, European Champions in waiting, Celtic, won 5-4 in the most amazing and thrilling Pars game I've ever seen. The Pars led by two goals three times in that game, 2-0, 3-1 and 4-2 and still lost. We were gutted when Joe McBride struck home an injury time penalty winner for Celtic, but what a game....

I've happier memories of more recent games; a 3-3 draw with Dundee United after being 0-3 at half time and only the width of a post prevented a Pars win. A 3-2 win v St Johnstone in the SC from 0-2 and a 5-4 at Stenhousemuir after being 0-3 down.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Memorable Comebacks or Turnarounds
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:19

The 4-4 comeback against Dundee with Captain Norrie leading the charge was something special. What interests me most is that most of the supporters were still in the ground on a miserable wet day at 4-2 with 5 minutes left.
That is if my memory serves me correctly!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jojo  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:24

I remember that game at Dens being so wet a lot of fans were moved from the then open terrace to the wing of the old wooden main stand and when Norrie scored the noise and celebration was mental
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parplod  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:25

I agree that you would normally discount a turn round of a 1-0 score line but I remember being at Kilbowie Park when the Pars were leading 1-0 going into injury time only to lose 2-1. Think Sandy McNaughton did the damage for Clydebank.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:28

Lazarus takes a bit of beating.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:29

Those two 1966 narrow defeats have always been my favourite Pars games.
They had everything and the result almost seemed unimportant. Just the lateness of the winning goals putting a damper on things.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:33

Not as iconic as any of the above but Stemhousemuir 4 Dunfermline 5 was pretty nuts considering we were 4 2 down with about 5 mins to go.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:49

My favourite comeback was against ICT in the semis in 2004 - not as dramatic in terms of timings of the goals, but the emotions during and after the much were incredible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 13:52

Another Norrie inspired one. the year after 4-4 we were 2-0 down with George Shaw and Jim Hamilton(Pen) having dundee 2 up early on for us to come back and win 4-2. Norrie pulled 1 back, Petrie chasing down a Pageut (SP) clearence got us level. Toddy Overhead kick put us 3-2 up at the break and wee Derek Fleming got 4th in second half.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: anglo par  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 14:03

I was at the 4-4 Dundee game with my young nephew and dragged him out at 2-4. When we got to the gates, I changed my mind and dragged him back just in time to see the 2 goals. We still talk about it.

"I tried to drown my sorrows,but the b******s learned how to swim."
Frida Kahlo (1907-1954)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 15:14

It's only from one goal down so doesn't really qualify by GG's criteria, but the 2006 defeat by Airdrie at EEP in the cup (2 goals in the last minute or so) sticks in my craw.

Along the same lines, Manchester United's European Cup victory over Bayern was pretty dramatic, with two goals in injury time.

And so was Liverpool's "Miracle of Istanbul", coming back from 3-0 down to win on penalties.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 17:13

"Lazarus takes a bit of beating."

Absolutely - three separate spells at QPR gives a new meaning to the word comeback !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIlLZrWPRc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 17:18

Dundee 4-4 for me too Oct 94, drizzly wet day, my mates 21st birthday celebrations started nicely 😊
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 17:21

Quote:

londonparsfan, Wed 9 Jan 13:33

Not as iconic as any of the above but Stemhousemuir 4 Dunfermline 5 was pretty nuts considering we were 4 2 down with about 5 mins to go.

Sorry completely missed this at bottom of GGS post
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 17:39

Quote:

Pars232, Wed 9 Jan 17:18

Dundee 4-4 for me too Oct 94, drizzly wet day, my mates 21st birthday celebrations started nicely 😊

That was a classic game. I remember speaking to Norrie about it in Nico's and telling him how my mate had left to sit in the car with us looking out of the game. He then gave me a rather rousing speech about never, ever giving up until the final whistle. He was a rather inspirational chap Norrie McCathie, even when just having a chit chat
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 18:53

4 v 5 v stenny

3 v 2 stenny

Jobby!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Craig Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:00

Interesting thread. I recently attended the Leeds v Blackburn game which Leeds won 3-2. Blackburn scored on 90 mins to make it 2-1 to them. Leeds scored in 91 and 94 mins to win the game. After the match on the drive home I was thinking over my 40 years supporting the Pars and I couldn’t come up with a similar example of such a turnaround right at the death. Interesting reading the examples in this thread.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:02

I attended the Newcastle v Arsenal 4-4 game a few years ago. Arsenal were 4 up at half time. It was insane and I’ll never forget it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:02

The 4-4 draw away at Berwick. Down 4-1 jst after half time we came back with ten men to draw 4-4 with another 5 mins we would have won it

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: evo!  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:06

Also attended agame 5-6 years back between cowden and raith

Cowden went two up, raith got it back to 2-2 by half time.

With 5 mins to go cowden were 4-2 up, but raith got two late goals

Jobby!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:20

Quote:

evo!, Wed 9 Jan 19:06

I've read your last sentence, evo and I make it that the game finished 4-4. Am I havering or are you? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 19:31

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 9 Jan 19:20

Quote:

evo!, Wed 9 Jan 19:06

I've read your last sentence, evo and I make it that the game finished 4-4. Am I havering or are you? 🤔

At first I read that as the score at the game being 5-6. But it may just have been 5 or 6 years ago
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 9 Jan 20:41

Two other games come to mind. 1. Coming back from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 with Berwick Rangers about 2004. 2. Being down 2-0 to St Johnstone and then winning 3-2 in a cup replay at East End Park.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: