DAFC.net
Home 17 February 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Crawford
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:09

Okay, we're only 4 games into his spell in charge. But if anything, we've got worse.

Why did the board decide to give Stevie the job full time just a few days after AJ left? He was already at the club - so do what most clubs do (especially with inexperienced managers) and give him it on a temporary basis to prove himself. Had we done this, I'd expect the board would be reviewing the manager's position now.

AJ had to go - we kept him far too long this season - but the decision to immediately appoint Crawford is becoming more questionable by the game.

I hope I'm wrong and he turns it around, but it has all the hallmarks of John Potter - good guy, good coach, players like him, but not cut out for management.

Overreaction? Maybe. But I'm worried that we're now in a relegation battle, and I don't see the players in our squad who can get us out of it. A 'new manager bounce' could've been the difference.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Crawford
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:14

I felt disbelief and a little dread at his appointment, nothing's changed.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:16

Agree guys, it’s potter mk2.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:22

Agree. I think it’s another poor decision from the board. They left it so long with AJ and then they gave it to a rookie. Didn’t even give time for applicants.

We’ve made our bed and now we need to lie in it.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:25

I just hope he can turn it around
But right now it does not look like he can ,
Was' always a bad move to remove AJ and replace him with a rookie
that's 4 games now under his charge and 1 point from 9 and an Exit from the cup
doesn't make good reading , hope there is better things to come ,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:35

I don't agree. I think he signed a gem in Andercon who looks like he will form a productive partnership with Faiss.
That first half was a very positive sign.
The Raith game was a disaster but if we hadnt had a red card... who knows. Fair criticism though.
His other games: United at Tannadice and County!
A good performance against County too...until an offside equaliser and the subs. They had stronger subs.
Morton ... meh. We didnt lose away.

Still work to do but are we worse? No.
2 weeks to gel, 2 tough but winnable games next then the 3 bottom teams.
I see Morton and QoS getting sucked into this too and I am confident after todays 1st half we can and will climb the table.

Maybe next month though 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:37

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift you can possess!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:44

Quote:

Rastapari, Sat 2 Feb 18:14

I felt disbelief and a little dread at his appointment, nothing's changed.

Do you agree that Ross and the board have had a nightmare here then? The board have made the awful decision to give AJ a contract, even worse making it a 2 year deal. Then, should have got rid of him months ago, but couldn't because of the length of deal they gave him. Faced with the choice of limping on till the end of the season in mid table obscurity, RM bottled it when the fans started to turn their ire from the manager to the chairman. Crawford appointment rushed through, no idea where Jackie McNamara is involved. The Chairman has had a nightmare this season
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:48

Quote:

mach1, Sat 2 Feb 18:37

Happiness, happiness, the greatest gift you can possess!

From the posts on here there was a lot of happiness at the 45 minute mark.
An offside goal and a Higgy assist later and the manager is out his depth.

Ill judge him after the Alloa game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:48

Perhaps could do with a Supporters council meeting too explain the rationale behind recent decisions
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:53

Hey I'm not criticising Crawford, other than taking Faiss off when playing well.

But the whole team just lack quality and I don't think the two new coaches have the experience to do anything about it.

Not really sure if Guardiola and Klopp could get much mileage here either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: morvenpar  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 18:56

Are we worse? Yes we are 100% worse. Beggars belief that you are asking that question.

Since the appointment, each and every substitution has weakened our team. No substitutions looks like a great alternative right now.

We’re in free fall
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_90  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:02

I think that bearing in mind he could have been assistant to Nielson at DU he's been on a promise.
A buzzard waiting in the wings
He fancies himself a lot judging by his Armani match day suit and n his first game ,(pep wears one).
He shows arrogance by bringing an unnecessary keeper in and booting Robinson out of the squad, he's no idea of how to deal with a losing position.
The guy is an absolute chancer .he looked so cool at half time as he discussed with his assistant how well we've done but did he have a clue when Ross county upped there game in the second half ,his substitution s were poor, clueless comes to mind.
Yep you've guessed it not impressed
On the positive side I like Anderson
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:04

I think majority of you are being very harsh.

Look at the first half, I thought Crawford got it spot on, we looked defensively solid and created a number of chances for Anderson. We more than matched County and deserved to be ahead.

Second half we lost a sloppy goal, one that I think majority of us thought was well offside only for SC to confirm it was the correct decision.

The players were adamant it was offside, and seeing it didn't go their way, they lost the plot, they started panicking, almost lost a goal immediately after if it wasn't for Craigen.

I could understand to a degree what SC was thinking with Anderson and FEB. Anderson was knackered and FEB was becoming ineffective, think he was thinking more defensively and keeping the point than going for the win.

Then Higgy does what Higgy does, daft wee flicks when a punt up the park is sufficient.

Notable players who were poor today:

J Longridge
Devine
Williamson
Vincent
Higgy

Our team isn't good enough, we don't have the quality, confidence is low. SC is trying his best to turn it around, we need to back him, whether you think he's the right man or not.

We gave Ross County that win today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-t-on  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:15

Thought first half today we out played Ross County and Anderson could've had a hat-trick. Best I have seen us play in a long time. FEB and Anderson look a decent strike partnership.

Their blatant offside goal in the 2nd half knocked the wind out of us and we lost the momentum we had in the 1st half. Ross County took charge of the game in the 2nd half which you would expect from a team sitting top of the Championship and to be fair our defence looked decidedly ropey under pressure.

I think it is knee jerk to suggest we have got worse, for me I can see some light at the end of the tunnel based on what I saw in the first half today.

Also I think it is only fair to give our new management team a chance instead of being so quick to shoot them down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:24

We gave up any chance of winning the game with 20 mins left - with our defence the end result was inevitable. There are proven guys out there. Darren at East Fife was worth a thought.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:43

and proven guys cost more money, doesn't matter though as any manager would struggle with what we have which from day 1 of the season has been a total mess.

"I think majority of you are being harsh"

for some possibly, others it isn't a surprise at all.

Post Edited (Sat 02 Feb 20:01)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 19:59

Quote:

pacifist, Sat 2 Feb 19:24

We gave up any chance of winning the game with 20 mins left - with our defence the end result was inevitable. There are proven guys out there. Darren at East Fife was worth a thought.

This baffles me. AJ was labelled as good enough for the seaside league but no good for the championship due to the gulf.
He actually won the seaside league.
Yet people still suggest managers like Petrie or Darren are proven because they are doing less well than A J did.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 20:08

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that the board have cocked up 3 times.

1. Giving AJ a 2 year deal, when much of last year was so bad. Really bad for months.

2. Not getting rid of AJ soon enough. October or November. Some of those summer signings, particularly the bomb scares we have in the centre of defence are shocking. Losing at home to the worst Falkirk team we have ever seen should have been the final straw.

3. When they did finally bite the bullet (too late), failure to advertise the position to see who was around to help us out of the hole we are in. Crawford appointment reeks of panic.

As for Crawford. He hasn't halted the downward slide, but I do believe he has a better chance of keeping us up than AJ would have. We will never know, but this mess started months ago. His substitutions have been woeful but we set up ok today. Anderson is excellent and there is improvement in Faiss, even if he hasn't scored. 5 way battle for the drop in a very tight league. Morton and Pars currently the worst 2 I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 20:13

[Post Deleted] - Reported as abusive
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 20:31

Quote:

1981par, Sat 2 Feb 20:13

When is Ross McArthur going to get the cheque book out? £20k a month from us fans and second highest average attendance

Been explained to you a million times.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 20:49

Parrot. Petrie and Young are doing ok in that league with a small fraction of the resources AJ had. But I think you know this.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 21:30

Yes, that gives a little credibility to the assumption they might do well at a higher level but I don't think it fully justifies it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 21:49

It still justifies them more than it does Crawford (as much as I like him). Hopefully we can get going soon but it’s very concerning that Falkirk and Partick are picking up points (they both had two difficult games today) and we don’t look like we’re improving. I can’t understand how Falkirk can afford so many players when they’ve sacked their manager in the same season?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 21:58

That’s what I was getting at. How can Falkirk afford so many players more than us while sacking their manager like us? Their stadium is just as big.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: scosha  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:01

Lets not forget it was AJ who signed up the so called players we have and
SC has inherited them, what with little or no money being made avaiable to him,
therefor the players must take the blame for the state we are in. We need a
right back as Williamson is not the answer, Smith is lightweight and up
against defenders who over power him , Vincent is too slow as is Devine, SC
has a huge task on his hands also giving players a 2 year deal beggars belief.
I wish SC and GS all the best.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:02

I’d imagine Falkirk must have had cash put in from directors, shareholders or wealthy fans to fund the January rebuild. Their crowds are worse than ours and I’d imagine the sponsorship deals will be comparable.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:12

Quote:

1981par, Sat 2 Feb 21:58

That’s what I was getting at. How can Falkirk afford so many players more than us while sacking their manager like us? Their stadium is just as big.

They cant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:19

Quote:

RossF, Sat 2 Feb 21:49

It still justifies them more than it does Crawford (as much as I like him). Hopefully we can get going soon but it’s very concerning that Falkirk and Partick are picking up points (they both had two difficult games today) and we don’t look like we’re improving. I can’t understand how Falkirk can afford so many players when they’ve sacked their manager in the same season?

I dont think we had the money to sack the two we had and pay to take either of them from where they are. Especially on a gamble.

I dont get the criticism of him. Apart from the Raith disaster I think he's doing ok. Lets see what he can do with this team in over the next 2 weeks in time for ICT at home. That will be a better indication of improvement than utd at tannerdice and county.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:30

I’m not criticising him but I was not impressed when we appointed him. He deserves his chance though. It’s not his fault we’re in this mess. On top of that, it’s disappointing we didn’t make more signings in January also.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:34

Quote:

Never10yairds, Sat 02 Feb 22:02

I’d imagine Falkirk must have had cash put in from directors, shareholders or wealthy fans to fund the January rebuild. Their crowds are worse than ours and I’d imagine the sponsorship deals will be comparable.

£450k raised from 4 shareholders....,million miles ahead of us. Why doesn’t anyone on here offer to buy shares like they do at Roos County, Falkirk Dundee Utd??? Partick has the luxury of nearly £800k from the SPFL
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:36

Quote:

RossF, Sat 2 Feb 22:30

I’m not criticising him but I was not impressed when we appointed him. He deserves his chance though. It’s not his fault we’re in this mess. On top of that, it’s disappointing we didn’t make more signings in January also.

I think we would all have liked to see a more experienced replacement but we have what we can afford and I think we should be encouraging him...especially after that first half.
He must feel shecht getting slated after that. Mistakes in the second half but I honestly see progress. Pretty tough he got the top 2 sides and a banana skin derby in his first few games.
Give him a chance.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 23:00

Agreed. The first half we were excellent but the second half we let ourselves down. Gardyne made a massive difference for them.

Like I said, he deserves a chance. He messed up with the subs today but it’s still early days for him. Desperate times though. It’s Johnson and the board that are at fault this season, not Crawford. We have to survive this season and hopefully build on next season. Hopefully next season will be better but I worry attendances will drop big style next season - no matter what league we’re in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 06:22

Quote:

1981par, Sat 02 Feb 21:58

Falkirk may have been splashing the cash to try to stay up
but that doesn’t mean they can afford it. I don’t know the state of their finances to judge.

Good balanced post Berry but as Sammer notes we are now in the relegation mire currently. Fortunately for us there are some other teams like Morton who are also not on a good run.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_90  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 08:19

Appointing Crawford did come as a bit of a surprise but having said that he knows the payers better than anyone.
He must have been pretty good at convincing the chairman that what was at the club plus another couple of players would be enough to challenge.
There's definitely been an improvement in the urgency and yesterday more shots than usual.
All season we've flattered to deceive having loads of possession in spells with nothing to show for it Barr the odd game.
The biggest problem with Crawford as with AJ is tactical awareness when trying to hold onto a lead or coming from behind.
Yesterday county's manager quickly made changes to personal and shape to correct there shortfall , Crawford just made changes for changing sake .
If this continues I with think we will get sucked into bottom 2 as moral falters and pressure increases.
Crawford is green and has a lot to learn not sure if the position was a good time to teeth a new manager but time will tell.
Anderson looks to be a good acquisition when fit not sure if the other 2 were money well spent

Post Edited (Sun 03 Feb 08:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 08:26

Quote:

Bank loans.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:20

Quote:

Blackandwhiteblood, Sun 3 Feb 08:26

Quote:

Bank loans.

I'm pretty sure it's director loans. Nearly half a million of them.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:25

"He must have been pretty good at convincing the chairman that what was at the club plus another couple of players would be enough to challenge"

the chairman needed no convincing, quoted in November saying its the best squad of players in his 5 years as chairman
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:32

GJ, this genuinely worries me about our board/chairman. How can you look at this squad, watch them play the way they have this season, look at the league table and actually think we have a good squad?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 10:25

SC is out his depth. Seemingly no money which I don’t understand. Transfer window is now closed. I don’t think we can either get another loan as we have 4. This is a disaster.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 10:33

I've yet to see anything to indicate SC is out of his depth.

In fact I've seen improvement, a draw at Morton, first half against County where we played well and he's improved the striking partnership. That change in the second half didn't work, but it was a solid thought process, something AJ wouldn't have bothered to consider.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Any manager we would have brought in, I don't believe would have done much better.

We played Ross County who are top, don't think anyone realistically thought we would win it going into the game, the fact Falkirk and Thistle both won is what has gotten everyone on a shoogly peg at the moment.

As mentioned he needs time, and gradually we'll see improvements as we did yesterday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 13:23

Quote:

DAFC_90, Sun 3 Feb 08:19

The biggest problem with Crawford as with AJ is tactical awareness when trying to hold onto a lead or coming from behind.
Yesterday county's manager quickly made changes to personal and shape to correct there shortfall , Crawford just made changes for changing sake .

I wouldn't say he made the changes for changes sake, he could see we were getting over run in midfield so put an extra body in there. Whether the personnel he took off and brought on were the right ones, is a different story.

Difference between his and county's tactical changes was that county had some quality on the bench where we had Smith and Hippolyte.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 13:29

Berry we don’t have time. We have appointed an inexperienced manager who will need time which we don’t have. We could be bottom of the league in 2 weeks time. Would you still say he needs time and has done better than expected? 1 draw and 3 losses with 1 goal scored is worse than whatever AJ has done.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 13:34

Quote:

1981par, Sun 3 Feb 13:29

Berry we don’t have time. We have appointed an inexperienced manager who will need time which we don’t have. We could be bottom of the league in 2 weeks time. Would you still say he needs time and has done better than expected? 1 draw and 3 losses with 1 goal scored is worse than whatever AJ has done.

An experienced manager would need time. No-one, not one manager would come in here and transform our fortune instantly.

Throwing SC under the bus due to inexperience is just a cop out that so happens to suit your agenda.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 14:04

No not at all. An experienced manager who’s been there and done it would have better attributes to save our season. Not somebody just starting out who could eventually do well in management.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 14:26

Quote:

1981par, Sun 3 Feb 14:04

No not at all. An experienced manager who’s been there and done it would have better attributes to save our season. Not somebody just starting out who could eventually do well in management.

Well Jim Duffy fits your criteria and Dumbarton are not exactly setting League 1 on fire since he was appointed. Why do you think that might be?

Could it be down to the players in his squad being low on confidence and not very good into the bargain?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 16:24

"1 draw and 3 losses with 1 goal scored is worse than whatever AJ has done."

That may well be but we've also had some horrific runs (e.g. Ross Co, Ayr, Inverness, Alloa was 3 defeats and a draw with only 2 goals scored and 3 of those games were at home). The squad and the way that 3-5-2 was plan A then binned quickly with no real plan B is what's to blame more than Crawford being inexperienced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 00:18

Eddie May is a well respected coach and looks like he'll be out of a job in the next week or so. Might be worth a shout?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 00:36

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 4 Feb 00:18

Eddie May is a well respected coach and looks like he'll be out of a job in the next week or so. Might be worth a shout?

You mean May be worth a shout!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 10:02

I'm no tactical expert but I have noticed that the manager had the team set up differently and playing differently, on Saturday, from what we saw under AJ.

e.g. When defending corners we had a player (Anderson) who stayed on the half way line instead of everybody back in our own box. (Two defenders felt it necessary to stay with him and it gave us an out ball.)

Also a lot of through balls to Anderson were played on the deck rather than hopeful diagonal crosses which are invariably lapped up by hulking defenders. (Now that may be because Anderson has specifically mentioned that he can't head a ball to save himself, but I prefer to believe Stevie asked Bruce's team mates to play to the lad's strengths.

Little things maybe, but an improvement imo.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 13:01

There is allot to be optimistic about from that first half GG.

I've always considered myself a realist, we'll best ICT.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigSolBamba  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 13:28

Am I right in saying that SC being on a 'rolling permanent contract' means we could infact get someone else in during this season if we wanted? I would give SC until 9th of March - between now and then we have Inverness (H) Ayr (A) Partick Thistle (H) QOTS (H) Alloa (A).

IMO we need 10 points minimum from that 15 including must wins over Alloa and Partick. If we fall short of that then I think we need to consider bringing in someone who would get the team in line
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 14:22

Some folk on here i wouldn't trust to run a primary school tuck shop!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 18:00

Quote:

BigSolBamba, Mon 4 Feb 13:28

Am I right in saying that SC being on a 'rolling permanent contract' means we could infact get someone else in during this season if we wanted? I would give SC until 9th of March - between now and then we have Inverness (H) Ayr (A) Partick Thistle (H) QOTS (H) Alloa (A).

IMO we need 10 points minimum from that 15 including must wins over Alloa and Partick. If we fall short of that then I think we need to consider bringing in someone who would get the team in line

I take it this post is a wind up? 😂

Imagine sacking 2 managers in the space of two months. We'd become a laughing stock and rightly so.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: