DAFC.net
Home 17 February 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Nuts in a vice
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 22:37

Maybe we were really were heading to a relegation dogfight with AJ and just did not realise it; we certainly are now. Any illusions otherwise have to be jettisoned. We are the least potent team in the division. That puts pressure on our defence obviously; one mistake can lose a game. It usually does.

We have also the lowest number of wins in the entire league over the last six games. That excludes the humiliating cup exodus at Starks Park. The word tailspin comes to mind. Defeat has become our default position regardless of the opposition. Our run of games is even worse than under AJ.

Crawford, for all the affection he is held in, sounds like a lightweight. I would not like to listen to him in the dressing room, but then I was never a player. His actions at least have shown promise- by all accounts we took the game to Ross County in the first half and we were unlucky not to have a 2-0 lead by half time. But deep down, nobody really believed we could beat Ross County in a league where we are always being told any team can beat every other team. It seems that every team can beat us on their day, but we cannot beat them. Apart from that it is an open league.

What are the roles of Shields and McNamara in this steady fall to relegation? Are they too subtle for the supporters to made aware of? What I am aware of, is what many on here were: that Partick would almost certainly start climbing the league table after an appalling start to their campaign. There was also an expectation that Falkirk would improve, but maybe not so impressively as they have. Alloa were in dogfight territory since day one and are at least mentally equipped for what lies ahead. We look the least equipped for what lies ahead, in terms of manager, squad and mental attitude. We are in danger of being squeezed out of this league.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Nuts in a vice
Topic Originator: KirklistonPar  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 23:01

I think Crawford was to close to AJ & the current group of players to really have any impact. I’m pretty sure the current squad were quite happy when they heard stevie was getting the job. The players needed someone who gives them the fear and I just don’t think the current mob we have as a manangerial team will get the players playing to stay in this league. Stevie Crawford was a great striker & ive enjoyed watching him score some great goals at EEP. But he doesn’t come across as a manager....more a friend.
We’re definitely in a relegation battle & im 50/50 that we’re gonna be in the playoffs at the wrong end of the table. Sadly the players play like that as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 23:02

I was no fan of AJ, at all, I wanted him gone at the end of last season when he would have went with a ha dshake and a kind word rather than a big cheque.

Having kept him and signed to a two year deal and signing a lot of dross, they compounded that mistake by sacking him in January, paying him and Sandy Clark off with what would have been a significant amount of money that could have been used to strengthen the squad. AJ had a pretty poor summer transfer window last year but he could see what the issues were and they were largely corrected in January.

Now the board have appointed an inexperienced manager who’s only previous manager gig was an unsuccessful stint at east fife. The job was never advertised and no recruitment process was ever carried out. We needed about five or six players in this window, a centre back, 2 strikers, 2 wingers and maybe a right back. Had AJ and Clark not been paid off, I’d imagine at least 4 of those needs would have been filled. As it stands, the only need that was really filled was one striker, Anderson (who I think will do very well for us).

Who do you blame for this? I blame the board. I have no doubt they have good intentions but I think they may be naive about the footballing side of things. One thing that genuinely alarmed me was when the chairmen stated the squad was good enough to make the promotion playoffs. He wasn’t asked, as in put in a position where he kind of had to say it. He volunteered this as part of a statement, this leads me to believe he actually thought it was true. That is very worrying. Anyone who has seen most of our games this season knows there are glaring issues with that squad.

I don’t know if there is money in the biscuit tin to bring in a couple of players who are without a club at the moment but I certainly hope so. A centre back and a winger are critical. If we don’t bring anyone in then I think we will go down.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 23:37

Much as I wish stevie all the best,I feel this is a disastrous appointment. We need a hard nut in there to do a kick back side role.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 2 Feb 23:58

I think everybody knows it was just the cheap option in the hope that it might pay off, unfortunately it looks like another John Potter situation and we are spiralling out of control.When questions are asked of us we capitulate alarmingly and have no plan B as we did when AJ and SC were in charge . If the board thought that appointing a former fans favourite was the cure they have totally misjudged the support as most of the fans i know were not happy at all . This season has been a disaster caused by the ineptitude of the board instead of dealing with the managerial situation last season they encouraged it with a baffling 2tr contract .
As a lifelong fan i hope we can save ourselves from the drop and regroup for next season , fingers crossed

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 00:24

Gordi, I hope we can manage to stay up and then clear the decks and start from scratch in the summer, new management, new squad. Of course, if we do improve dramatically then the management team and some players my earn their place here next season but I don’t think that will apply to too many tbh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 00:41

Start from scratch with what.

We appear to be absolutely skint, rooked, penniless, or any other word you can think of.

The only players we can take on now seem to be loanees and I fear our financial position can only get worse.
If we go down, I honestly think part time football may return and imo that would be disastrous for the club.

Do not envy the directors one bit as it's a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't in this predicament.

The best I can see is just surviving in this division, a backwards step on last year and one likely to lose us fans.

So please SC and Shields, get a grip of things and prove me wrong.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 00:52

This season we are skint because we spent all our money on dross and had to pay off AJ and Sandy Clark. Next year we will have most of the current squads contracts up. Crawford and Shields can be parted with inexpensively or demoted to coaches. We will have a new batch of season ticket money and sponsorship deals too. As long as we don’t go down, it’s not that bad. If we go down I think we will have one, maybe two, seasons full time to get back up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 01:03

Mach1 we are not rooked skint or penniless.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 07:54

Agree kirkliston, needed someone new to the club to judge the players on thier talents and not on if they are good lads or pals with stevie.

Never know, a new manager who was planning for this AND next season might have been able to move a few more out to get some new faces in. Not convinced craws remit at the moment goes past the end of this season.

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 08:17

Personally i don't think tgat the squad is good enough. If it was we would be up there challenging for promotion. Whether it is individual positions or lack of teamwork is open for debate.i think I have forgptten how many times I have heard "we played well" "we were unlucky" "there were positives" "this squad is good enough" etc. Etc. This is just rhetoric. Its important to be positive but these sorts of statements over the last 6 months from EEP mask the issues. We simply are not good enough and that needs to be recognised. Its not going to change any time soon. What can change is for everyone to get behind the team regardless and cheer them on in every game until the end ofthe season. The objective now isto avoid relegation. The time to reflect on the season will be at the end of it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_90  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 08:20

Dont you think player for player we are as good/better as most in this league it's all down to organisation ,moral and confidence
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 08:35

The problems have been there since last season, a team that doesn’t know how to win a football match.now that we are in a tail spin i can’t see that we have the ability or mental attitude to steer away from a relegation play off against the Rovers.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:02

Finishing aside, our general first half performances tell me we have a squad that should be able to be compete in this division.

Our panic stations or inability to look comfortable after we have conceded tells me that we are low in confidence (both as individuals and as a team).

I'm going to assume or players are no less fit than other teams, so our general second half performances which are poor or at best flat, tells me that the team and the manager are incapable of adjusting to other teams tactical changes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:20

Quote:

DBP, Sun 3 Feb 09:02

Finishing aside, our general first half performances tell me we have a squad that should be able to be compete in this division.

Our panic stations or inability to look comfortable after we have conceded tells me that we are low in confidence (both as individuals and as a team).

I'm going to assume or players are no less fit than other teams, so our general second half performances which are poor or at best flat, tells me that the team and the manager are incapable of adjusting to other teams tactical changes.

I dont think we had the personell to adapt to their changes yesterday. Our bench was much weaker than theirs.
Craw addressed the midfield problem but we still couldnt stop them. Our first 11 more than matched them but we had no depth yesterday.
When we get Beadling and Longridge back, and we arent playing County or Utd, we will see whether we need to worry or not.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 09:31

It is a difficult situation for Crawford - as a team and individually there is a severe lack of confidence, especially after conceding. In general this season we have been decent in most first halves and poorer/much poorer in the second halves.

That said, the subs didn't help yesterday. Faissal was are only creative player and was playing well, he needed to stay on. Higgy was (again) hopeless, he could have put Hippo on who has shown more of a threat recently, he can dribble and can hold on to the ball. We didn't threaten at all second half, against quality players like Gardyne and Mckay they are going to do damage if they have plenty of possession around our box.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 11:46

parrot - that same second half is repeated every time i go to EEP, even when we won a few weeks back we had a major flat spot in the game from about 50-75mins when we were letting them dictate

so either every team has something up their sleeve that they roll out in the second half that we don't have the bench to match or we can't handle when the opposing teams mixes it up a bit.

i said before the game to my son the game will be lost in the first 25mins of the second half, not because i'm some mystic meg, but because that performance pattern happens all the time
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 11:54

We need a new team captain; someone who can take command on the field when the going gets tough. Ashcroft is not doing that. Trouble is I don’t see anyone who will fit the bill. Beadling maybe?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 16:24

Quote:

DBP, Sun 3 Feb 11:46

parrot - that same second half is repeated every time i go to EEP, even when we won a few weeks back we had a major flat spot in the game from about 50-75mins when we were letting them dictate

so either every team has something up their sleeve that they roll out in the second half that we don't have the bench to match or we can't handle when the opposing teams mixes it up a bit.

i said before the game to my son the game will be lost in the first 25mins of the second half, not because i'm some mystic meg, but because that performance pattern happens all the time

Thats all true but yesterday was a case of the stronger bench winning. I think we showed real signs of improvement and I hope to see us get better results against the bottom 6 teams, which is what matters at this stage.
We have key players returning from injury and finally an effective looking strike partnership. So forget the past. I can see light at the end of the tunnel.
If we can match that 1st half performance and maintain it into the second half with a stronger bench. We will get the points from the teams adjacent to us.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 18:21

There was enough shown in the first half to make me think we can do better going forward.
Another couple of weeks fitness for Anderson before the next game and another two weeks working with FEB.
Another few players back from injury and Blair in aswell.
Got to at least try and be positive. 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 18:25

Quote:

Ladswell_Thistle, Sun 3 Feb 18:21

There was enough shown in the first half to make me think we can do better going forward.
Another couple of weeks fitness for Anderson before the next game and another two weeks working with FEB.

This.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 18:27

Quote:

Ladswell_Thistle, Sun 3 Feb 18:21

Absolutely.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: