DAFC.net
Home 23 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Fernandinho
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 21:26

What a player. His improvement under Pep has been nothing short of phenomenal. That role he played today was a throw back to the days of the Liberio role. Fantastic stuff. If Liverpool win the league then fair play to them because that City side is absolutely outstanding. I genuinely hope that Klopp and Pep are able to keep their jobs for the next 5 years.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Fernandinho
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 21:33

He was an excellent player when he first arrived. I remember saying that on here when City thumped Newcastle 4-0 at home early in his first season. He has probably improved under Pep, to be fair

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 21:47

Agreed.
In Peps first season I thought Fernandinho was a complete liability without the discipline or ability to play where Pep wanted him .I thought he’d be one of the first gone at the end of Peps first season . I was wrong !

I suppose that is why Pep has made it as a world class manager/coach and in all honesty my footballing ‘expertise’ should be confined to football forums and the occasional game of football manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 21:57

I've never seen a system played like that in my life. 4 5 1 when we didn't have the ball with Fernandinho playing center half and 3 6 1 when we had the ball with Fernandinho playing center mid quite often ahead of Gundogan who was in his holding midfield role.

He's a quality player and he'll be very hard to replace as he can do a bit of everything and do it extremely well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mcfc-par  
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 22:09

Safe to say it was a very fluid formation, lpf - at times I thought it was some bizarre take on the old WM setup from the 60s, a sort of 3-2-2-3. Replacing Dinho is going to tax even Pep's considerable ability.

Arsenal did rather play into City's hands with those narrow full backs which meant that one of Sterling or Bernardo was always in acres of space if the play needed to be switched quickly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Feb 22:17

Not going to lie the team sheets had us confused and the set up for kick off had us even more confused!

Seemed to work well but as you say I did think Arsenal made it a bit easy for us at times.

Some of the switches were sublime and Bernardo's work rate is immense. At one point he'd spotted a danger left midfield and filled in and closed the gap then when the ball got played into his vacant position he was back covering in seconds to shut the gap he'd left. Then as they started going backwards he was leading the press.

He's almost as graceful on the ball as David and I think that's pretty much one of the best compliments you could give a player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 02:00

The 3 2 2 3 is a Dutch specialty . If there was no Johan Cruyf there would be no Pep

Edited to say Bernardo is a phenomenal player. Graft and intelligence. He’s the reason that City didn’t miss KDB as much as they should have imo. I like when Pep plays Bernardo and Mahrez together m . They use a wonderful overload on the right.

Post Edited (Mon 04 Feb 02:03)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Feb 18:58

Yeah Pep has leaned heavily on the Cruyff school book. He's also a big fan of Bielsa at Leeds. And yep you're also right about KDB not being missed as much as he might have been.

Silva was always meant to be more of a central midfielder but he obviously wasn't going to dislodge either Silva or KDB there last year which is why he played on the right a lot. I was hopefully he'd be good in the central areas as he'd show flashes of real ability wide right but even I was a little bit surprised as to how well he did. There's actually been some games where Silva and Silva have looked better than Silva and KDB which is something I never thought I'd see.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: