DAFC.net
Home 19 April 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 To put things into perspective ....
Topic Originator: Inchkeithpar  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 09:27

Very good chance we’ll be in league below Arbroath next season if we don’t buck up !
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: To put things into perspective ....
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 09:56

Quote:

Inchkeithpar, Mon 11 Feb 09:27

Very good chance we’ll be in league below Arbroath next season if we don’t buck up !

So what. You get up in the morning, your alive. If your a pars supporter, you have a club, and if we end up in a league below Arbroath that's hard lines, but not disaster. That's perspective.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 10:08

Really bad fishing... Have another cast min 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 10:50

I'm sure some folk get up in the morning and think 'What negative comment can I post today about the team I support?'.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:01

If you want to put things into perspective in every walk of life there are positive and negative people ! and it would not matter if everything was going great and rosy people will find a negative view ! and this is not just for folk who support a football team, But if we wish to be realistic and take the pink coloured glasses off
we have been utter keech for a long time , I keep thinking this is the week but it never materialises , so once again i hope it is this week
cmon ye pars

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 11:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:13

Wullie, I just don't see the point of constantly coming up with another way of saying 'We're keech.' Why don't they keep it to themselves?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:20

Rather than just highlight how bad this situation is, which tbh we all understand now, can we try and look at solutions? For me the only workable solution I can think of is trying to find a couple of decent players who don’t have a club at the moment. A centre back and a winger could go a long way towards keeping us up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:28

Quote:

Never10yairds, Mon 11 Feb 11:20

Rather than just highlight how bad this situation is, which tbh we all understand now, can we try and look at solutions? For me the only workable solution I can think of is trying to find a couple of decent players who don’t have a club at the moment. A centre back and a winger could go a long way towards keeping us up.

They'll not be the fittest likely and still want paid...

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:33

It's not often that a decent player is without a club either

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:37

I wasn't a bad right back .
I'll be 62 in July but I'm available ;)

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 11:45

Tbh, if you take away that we're just lucky to have a club, there isn't a lot to be optimistic about from a footballing perspective.
Without repeating the obvious areas of concern, the biggest problem is shortage of finances to develop the team capabilities.
I think it's fair to say that relegation would make that worse.

I do not think we will be relegated btw.

It appears that some can accept our position regardless, while others can't.

The rest of life is a totally different matter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:01

Like mach1, I don't think we will go down.

I don't say this out of arrogance or complacency or a conviction that our squad is too good to go down - better teams than the Pars have gone down before.

It's partly down to the optimism most fans have about their team - let's face it, if you thought your team would get beat every week, why would you keep going back? It's also down to a firm belief that confidence among the players is very low but I don't think it would take much to restore it. 4 pts from the next 2 games would go a long way, imo and give us a bit of breathing space.

We are one of 4 teams involved in the scrap, but Morton could still get dragged into it. Only the team finishing last will go down for certain. I think whoever finishes 9th SHOULD be good enough to come through the play offs, but I'd rather it wasn't the Pars who were to put my theory to the test... Dumbarton and the Rovers haven't been good enough in the last couple of seasons, but I think the highest ranking team probably has a better than 50% chance of staying up.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:17

Your right Wee Eck !! some folk don't need much encouragement on here to find a way to say we are keech (and some i think take pleasure in it )!! and then again you get these folk who like to rub it in your face ! If they just for once sat down and tried to think of one positive it would be a step in the right direction ,
Let's be positive and find the solution to save our season
I have been at almost every game home and away and from what i see I still think we are good enough to stay up as there really isn't a lot between the teams ,so on a positive note i predict a victory for us this Saturday !!! then Onwards and Upwards to safety ( and I haven't been drinking ) lol
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:38

Here's hoping, wullie!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:51

I genuinely think we will go down and have thought so for a while. I don’t see it as being negative though. I am just trying to accept where we are. I’m more angry with the board than anyone else. Made mistake after mistake and it’s going to cost us.

I have a question for people who think we will stay up. Who is going to finish below us?

At this time I see Alloa finishing bottom and us finishing in the play off spot. We all know what happens when we play in front of a big crowd in a play off.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 12:58

Don't see Thistle doing anything more than us. The games i have seen them this season have been really poor. Wouldnt Discount Greenock Morton slipping into the battle as well. We are not a bad side just lack confidence. Slot away a couple of chances and couple of wins and we will be an entirely different proposition IMO.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:28

Quote:

wulliepar57, Mon 11 Feb 12:17

Your right Wee Eck !! some folk don't need much encouragement on here to find a way to say we are keech (and some i think take pleasure in it )!! and then again you get these folk who like to rub it in your face ! If they just for once sat down and tried to think of one positive it would be a step in the right direction ,
Let's be positive and find the solution to save our season
I have been at almost every game home and away and from what i see I still think we are good enough to stay up as there really isn't a lot between the teams ,so on a positive note i predict a victory for us this Saturday !!! then Onwards and Upwards to safety ( and I haven't been drinking ) lol

Well said
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:40

If the thread is about "perspective" then I don't think it's about the quality (good or bad) of the team (or management or board or fans). There are plenty of other threads for that.

The thread should be about how one copes with failure. If you take part in any sporting activity you have to be prepared to lose as well as to win. It's not pleasant, it's to be avoided if at all possible, and nobody wants it or should be satisfied with it. But in all competitions it's a reality.

In this incredibly tight league, with the two promoted clubs (Ayr and Alloa) hugely exceeding expectations, it's still conceivable that Partick Thistle, currently in last place, could reach the play-offs and be promoted.

It's probable that at least one "big" established club will be relegated or in the play-off spot (unless Ayr United have a horrible collapse.) That would undoubtedly be failure when set against expectations, and fans of that "big" club, whichever it is, will have to cope with it somehow.
- There will be an instinctive reaction to point the finger at who should be blamed - and there will be a reaction against that suggestion by those who think someone else should be blamed.
- There will be a lot of counterfactual "what if-ery" along the lines that if only X action had been taken (or not taken) at Y time then everything would be fine.
- And some people will simply be unable to cope with the situation and will withdraw their support or involvement - at least partly as an act of self-protection to avoid further disappointment.

The reality is that for clubs at our level (and the same is true for every club in this division), failure is more common than success, and mediocrity is more common than either. Anyone who follows clubs such as DAFC has to get used to this - and perhaps those fans who are now forecasting relegation are subconsciously preparing themselves for it so that they can enjoy the moment when it doesn't happen!

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PostmanPar  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 13:54

We could also be 2 leagues above Falkirk and raith 😃
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:01

The league table (as always) puts things in perspective.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:25

Look on the bright side, we'll have a derby with Raith next year! I think 9th is looking more and more likely for us but this run of games will make or break the season. As for the 'we are lucky to even have a team' get that patter wrapped immediately. No point of having a club for the sake of existing - time to show up and give the fans what they deserve
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 14:45

Stanza, i agree. Its important to put things into perspective and I agree as a supporter we have to accept a lack of "success". Success a few seasons ago was for the club to remain a viable financial concern. Given the history is still fairly recent, for me it is still the main objective. Dropping back down may create more opportunity for younger players, reduce wage bills and operating costs, and provide a bit of wriggle room to experiment, build. And reinvent ourselves. Perhaps the expectation was set too high in recent times. This may take a few years but like any other organisation I am sure there are short and long term objectivez. I think the bigger picture here is that Scottish clubs are undoubtably struggling financially and in my view the game needs a massive rethink in terms of its structure if any Scottish club is to see a return to the glory days. Our club is a product of the system it is working within just as other clubs are.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 15:36

I can see us going down but my perspective is that it isn't down to any lack of effort but wrong decisions in the transfer market pre season.
We lost four very key players and didn't re-sign the other one.
We haven't replaced any of them with anything better and we severely lack leadership on the park.
No blame can be made to the new management team I should add. The damage was done a long time ago.
Looks very much like a four way battle to avoid the last two places but F*lkirk seem to have been galvanised with lots of new signings.
Alloa are as stubborn as ever and Partick are most likely on a par with us at the moment in terms of confidence.
Two wins could make such a difference but the opposite is also true.
We , as fans I feel need to put to bed the notion of top four and get right behind the team to make sure we stave off relegation.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 16:02

Imagine the effect on the two supposed rejuvenated teams if we were to actually win on Saturday.

Falkirk spent nearly 500k last month. Half a million quid. They should be rejuvenated!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 16:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 16:10

Any source on that figure? Seems implausible at this level
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 16:33

Quote:

BigSolBamba, Mon 11 Feb 16:10

Any source on that figure? Seems implausible at this level

Directors put in 400k, common knowledge.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 18:38

I wouldn’t say Partick are on par with us. I think they’ve turned a corner. Unbeaten in their last 6 games with a good win in the Highlands. Morton are our best hope I think. It won’t be a good thing if we go down this time. Doesn’t matter what spin people put on it.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 18:55

Quote:

The Boss, Mon 11 Feb 18:38

I wouldn’t say Partick are on par with us. I think they’ve turned a corner. Unbeaten in their last 6 games with a good win in the Highlands. Morton are our best hope I think. It won’t be a good thing if we go down this time. Doesn’t matter what spin people put on it.

Obviously it won't be a good thing but we have to face up to the fact it is very possible now.
I don't think we are a bad team but our goalscoring rate speaks for itself.
We need a spark from somewhere to get the rest of the team buzzing.

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 20:23

I think we will go down unless there is some kind of dramatic turnaround. Falkirk are vastly improved, Partick are picking up points and Alloa are too well organised and have too much fight in them.

The spin from some people that going down might not be too bad is beyond parody. It would be a fecking disaster.

The reasons we are where we are have been widely discussed on other threads.

What we do now to try and get out of this mess is all that matters.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 21:10

This is an illustration from a serious article giving advice about how to get things into perspective. Method three: 'Consider your place in the universe.'

Thinks: 'My place in the universe is beside a strange dude wi' a feckin' big hair-do !'

(source:https://www.wikihow.com/Put-Things-in-Perspective)

Now that's perspective!

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 21:15)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 21:52

Who are these people who are saying relegation would be a good thing?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Mon 11 Feb 21:57

Beats me why folk can't just cheer themselves up. Treat theirsel's tae a nice haircut or somethin'.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Feb 21:58)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 06:25

Topic Originator: Never10yairds
Date: Mon 11 Feb 20:23

The spin from some people that going down might not be too bad is beyond parody. It would be a fecking disaster.

Topic Originator: da_no_1 like | nolike
Date: Mon 11 Feb 21:52

Who are these people who are saying relegation would be a good thing?

I think N10Y was alluding to my post on another thread, da no.1, where I said that relegation MIGHT NOT be the disaster that some fans fear and I pointed to Ayr and Livi who have been relegated from the Championship recently and have bounced back much the better for it. I wasn't for a minute advocating that I want to see us go down - we all know how horrible and frustrating it was to spend 3 seasons in League 1 last time.

If the worst came to the worst, the club and it's fans would need to come together and regroup and try and emulate the clubs cited above.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 10:29

I agree with your point GG Riva. With every problem there is opportunity. We could easily slip into a relegation battle and we should be prepared for any consequences. It doesn't mean we want to go down but any good business would plan for it just in case. We don't have the financial means and despite the fact we have a good support we clearly need other funding as gate receipts are not enough. It strikes me the BoD are correctly financially managing the club as it should be. It may take years to get Dunfermline back into the top flight. As a supporter for close to 50 years I have seen the club through years in the lower divisions to success in more recent years. I enjoyed all aspects. Obviously everyone wants the best for the club and I will continue to support them even if we were relegated along with many others. One of the aspects of bringing in management who have a history at the club is that they have that afinity and therefore there will be no lack of effort in what they put in to the club. This reflection in no way takes away the efforts of AJ and SC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 11:42

Either AJ and Clark failed to lift the players to achieve their potential, or the players were not/are not good enough to meet the stated objectives this season.

We cannot have it both ways.

In the past when we were toiling in lower divisions, things changed through either finding better players, or often, better, or more inspirational managers, such as McCathie and John Watson as players and Paton or Leishman as managers.

NOTE: I'm avoiding the 60s as the Stein, Cunningham, Farm decade was exceptional.

We can only keep supporting what we have until one or both things change to allow us more optimism for the future.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 12:35

I think we will get some questions answered come Saturday.

Craw & his team will have had 2 weeks clear to train & hopefully come up with some new ideas in terms of formation & tactics.

Caley will not be easy but they are not unbeatable.

Lets wait & see.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 12:44

Most clubs' football fans including our own, demand progress year on year - very few are content with a long-term viable plan for a football club unfortunately. Said to my dad at the start of the season that we would struggle to retain 4th place as 2 SPFL teams were relegated and two more than decent clubs had came up to replace Brechin & Dumbarton. We all want promotion but have no right to it. The league we're in must be one of the most evenly matched competitive leagues in Europe and a middle of the table position is just about right for a club like ours currently.

The performances earlier in the season were terrible but we just have to wait & see if bulleting AJ was the right move.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 12:45

Clubs with disproportionately large financial resources (eg Celtic and Rangers) will always be at the top of the Scottish leagues, while clubs with little or no financial resources (eg Albion Rovers and Cowdenbeath) will always be at or near the bottom. For every other club, success and failure will come in patches - teams rise and fall, then rise again.

My concern longer term is that even within th Championship there are several clubs who seem able to outbid DAFC when it comes to recruiting players (or managers.) Without access to any inside information it's impossible to be sure, but I would guess Ross County, Dundee Utd, Partick, Inverness and Falkirk (with recent cash injections) may be in that category. Even Alloa are probably able to offer very attractive money to players who want to remain part-time professionals.

The DAFC/PU company structure makes it more difficult than most clubs for a Daddy Warbucks to buy his way into the club and supply a huge amount of money, which makes the CC Lifeline contribution absolutely vital. While I still believe that is the correct and prudent way for a middle-ranking Scottish club to survive - as a community-centred, fan-supported business - it might mean we have to be more patient in achieving the success everyone wants.

So I agree with mach1, we desperately need a spark from someone, player or manager, to make the difference. Ayr and QoS are maintaining their league positions through the goals of Shankland and Dobbie - let's hope Anderson can do the same for us!

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 13:03

I am sure in the financial climate the BoD are doing their best to manage the financial aspects of the club. This limits our options in terms of being in a position to bring in players. I think you have to give AJ and SC some credit here. They brought in good players within the financial constraints of the club. I absolutely agree that the future and image of the club should be a family one. The elephant in the room for me is the fact that as businesses in the main clubs probably have to rely in donations. If clubs like Rangers can almost go under despite their support or success in the premiership what does that mean for smaller clubs. The game needs a rethink from the bottom up in Scotland. An open and honest debate by those in the game and the supporters who pay to watch is needed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 14:20

There is an interesting research paper here. Perhaps nothing new but food for thought.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299437307_Innovative_approaches_to_increase_revenues_for_football_clubs_Can_good_business_sense_make_football_better
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 14:29

Quote:

Indiapar, Tue 12 Feb 14:20

There is an interesting research paper here. Perhaps nothing new but food for thought.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/299437307_Innovative_approaches_to_increase_revenues_for_football_clubs_Can_good_business_sense_make_football_better

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 15:21

The paper Indiapar references is interesting, and emphasises again that performance of a team on the field is generally (but not always) related to how much money the club can spend on the players.

But the recommendations to maximise revenue are very much tailored to clubs with much more in the way of resources than DAFC have. It would be great to have a stadium that was used 24/7, dynamic pricing for seats, an efficient CRM system so that supporters' needs were met, tie-ins with transport companies and hotels etc.

But we are where we are - I suspect the only big cash injection we are likely to see would be selling the naming rights for the stadium, and the economic climate for that isn't great right now. It'sjust a pity the UK's relationship with Iran is so poor, as the Pars Oil and Gas Company based there would be a good fit for us!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Feb 16:57

Stanza - yes I would agree but it does frame the issues for smaller clubs in terms of what would be needed to ultimately bring back successful years. You can only dream however longer term I think fewer Fife clubs or indeed one Fife club would be a more sustainable given the environment the clubs are operating in. It may not be palatable to many supporters but I think in the years ahead it may be inevitable.

Post Edited (Tue 12 Feb 18:56)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 13 Feb 10:27

The trouble about one team in Fife is. We have the best and biggest stadium but have we got the best team. The recent cup result might prove otherwise!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 13 Feb 10:58

"The paper Indiapar references is interesting, and emphasises again that performance of a team on the field is generally (but not always) related to how much money the club can spend on the players.

But the recommendations to maximise revenue are very much tailored to clubs with much more in the way of resources than DAFC have. It would be great to have a stadium that was used 24/7, dynamic pricing for seats, an efficient CRM system so that supporters' needs were met, tie-ins with transport companies and hotels etc.

But we are where we are - I suspect the only big cash injection we are likely to see would be selling the naming rights for the stadium, and the economic climate for that isn't great right now. It'sjust a pity the UK's relationship with Iran is so poor, as the Pars Oil and Gas Company based there would be a good fit for us!"

We all know the high street is dead has been for years and getting worse by the day. Adversely the music scene in the town is thriving and if anything growing all the time. The club being a driving point to a new realistic sized stadium for our needs which is adaptable with safe standing but able to also encorportate other facilities, restaurants, bars, function suits, concert hall, ice rink kind of set up which is used pretty much 24/7 as a facility would be ideal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Feb 10:59

The result of having one senior team in Fife would be the overall loss of a number of fans to the senior game. The clubs which lost out would emerge at a lower level and their fans would follow them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Feb 14:58

"a new realistic sized stadium for our needs which is adaptable with safe standing but able to also encorportate other facilities, restaurants, bars, function suits, concert hall, ice rink kind of set up which is used pretty much 24/7 as a facility would be ideal."

Someone needs to win the Euromillions lottery for any of that!

The reality is that DAFC is dependent on volunteers in their 70s and 80s just to keep what we have ticking over! That's perspective.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: