DAFC.net
Home 23 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 reality needed surely?
Topic Originator: stevemac  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:24

Yes this will go against the overly positive stuff on here this past fortnight , but i've watched 3 out of 4 of the recent wins and in general we have still been really poor !
First half against Caley,partick and Qots have been atrocious.
yes, one way or another we have won these games in the second half but C'mon all we have achieved is avoiding relegation and we are NO WHERE near ready for promotion.
We better hope Aberdeen don't have a clause to take Anderson back because if they see the crap he has to feed off then i'm sure they will quickly use it ( as Hearts did with (Keena).
Our defence is shocking under the slightest pressure, with Devine and Williamson in particular being way out of their depth .
Yes ,I'll get people saying about recent clean sheets but we have claimed back so many slices of luck recently that we didn't get early season it is untrue.
Yes of course i want my team to win but i think we should also be entertained as well.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: reality needed surely?
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:25

Oh, and as a plus point i think the substitutions and timings from Crawford are a positive .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:30

The reality is we've won 4 games in a row without letting a goal in. That's all that matters.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:40

What do you expect?

AJ put together a squad that has no balance to it and quite a few shocking signings.

Crawford has steadied the ship and found a way to get points out of this group.

I’m sure next season, he will want to shape his own squad with a pre season to get his ideas across on how he wants to play football.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:42

Have to agree with no1, we are pars fans , we know the $hit is gonna hit the fan but lets enjoy the good run whilst it is on going

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:52

A) Anderson is ours till the end of the season
B) Defence is pretty solid despite the wobbles, how can you argue with 4 clean sheets in a row
C) not pretty but winning
D) every team in this league is the same.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1981par  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:53

4 wins and 4 clean sheets. We can’t complain but you’re right. We have been rubbish in periods of the games and are certainly no where near promotion contenders. Still it’s nice for as long it lasts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 23:55

We're winning... I don't care how...
Thats my tuppence
😂

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 00:15

Thats my tuppence
😂

but surely that sort of attitude is why attendances are falling, we are not all prepared to watch that standard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 00:37

Crawford is getting results with a limited squad. When you analyse individual performances almost ever player has improved .
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimMcDAFC  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 00:40

The last 4 games we have ground out results, not playing particularly good football and rode our luck on occasions but that is exactly what we needed to do in the position we found ourselves in. You can see the effort the players are showing, especially defensively.The on loan players have made a big difference but I would not want us to be playing this way in most games next season if we stay up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 00:42

Quote:

stevemac, Sun 3 Mar 00:15

Thats my tuppence
😂

but surely that sort of attitude is why attendances are falling, we are not all prepared to watch that standard.

As long as we have evenly matched teams playing each other four or five times a season you are not going to see silky football.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 01:01

Quote:

1981par, Sat 2 Mar 23:53
We......are certainly no where near promotion contenders

League table would suggest differently

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 01:07

Not a single person on this board will deny I'm a moaning hoor of a guy, but this post is nonsense. We've played crap, won 4 of 4 with 0 conceded. Compared with what we had with AJ....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 06:07

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 3 Mar 01:07

Not a single person on this board will deny I'm a moaning hoor of a guy, but this post is nonsense. We've played crap, won 4 of 4 with 0 conceded. Compared with what we had with AJ....

I like to think I'm quite a positive person, but I can see where the OP is coming from - we've been winning games and keeping clean sheets, but it's not always been pretty to watch, particularly in the first half of each game. It's also true that we've ridden our luck in the early part of these games, whereas earlier in the season we were conceding that all important first goal.

It can't be denied though that the team have played with a dogged determination, that the manager has tweaked things at half time and made effective substitutions which have turned games in our favour. Is it not also true that you make your own luck?

As fans, we can't have it all ways. The priority when Crawford took over was to get some wins on the board and move us up the table. He's done exactly that. Relegation is no longer a threat, whereas the promotion play offs are now achievable.

Let's not quibble that we're not playing like Barcelona.......

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA_NO1  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 08:06

You have to win the battle to then go on to play football.
First half got the sleeves rolled up and get stuck in.
Second half we started to play a bit, some nicest phases of football and unfortunate not to score more.
As for being lucky, you makes your own luck.

"a picture paints a thousand words"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 09:37

''You have to win the battle to then go on to play football.''

You're Graeme Souness, aren't you?

He's always saying that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 09:50

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of optimism.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 10:08

IMO - Attractive football is developed over a period of time with good coaching.

Craw & Co have addressed the main issues.

Change the keeper - Defence is more settled, composed & difficult to break down.✔️

Bought in Anderson to solve the goal scoring issue. ✔️

Bought in Blair to give us options in midfield.✔️

Davidson arrived to help with the coaching.✔️

We are now difficult to beat.
Teams change tactics and formation - we now can deploy countermeasures.
The squad has responded to the managements ethos and play as a unit.
There is a toughness & resilience on the pitch & a real desire to win.

Rome wasn't built in a day but we are getting there.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 10:23

4 wins on the bounce is reality.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars no1  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 10:35

go and watch man city if you want to see silky football every week. You will never get that in the championship. Livi were hardly good to watch and look where they are now. Winning is all that matters. I'd rather win ugly than play well and lose. We have gone from Relegation playoff trouble to promotion playoff. the fact we are winning despite not playing great is fine by me.

We would not have had that 4 wins in a row under AJ. Fact. A new management team that have not worked together and inherited a poorly balanced squad to get that sort of improvement in results is incredible. The challenge is to maintain it for the rest of the season now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 11:22

Here is the reality.

Stevie Crawford,Greg and Callum are achieving wonders with the hand they were dealt.

After May 31st they can bring in their own pack of cards.

And it could get distinctly interesting.

Remove the jokers and bring in a few aces.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 12:07

Stevie and co are working wonder with the squad they have available to them.

We are having to set up very defensively, play to keep it tight and have a go in the second half as we don’t the players to do much else, we have pretty much nothing on the wings and very little creativity and we sit very deep. This means when we get the ball there’s usually only Bruce ahead of the ball so we having to resort to punts down the line or hit and hopes. It’s working so far and worries of bottom 2 now gone.

Let’s get to the summer when the underperformers are cleared out and stevie can bring his own players in. Nothing to worry about unless we’ee still being forced to play this way next season......

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bouncer  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 13:08

Not conceded a 1st half goal since Crawford took over.
In Anderson we have the best player called Bruce(name another) ever to play for us.

2014/15 Squealadeal Prediction League Champion

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 13:46

''Not conceded a 1st half goal since Crawford took over.''

That's an interesting stat. We've only scored one goal in the 1st half as well - against Ross County.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 14:21

We are in mid table team in the second tier of Scottish football with a new manager who has inherited a mediocre squad - what do you expect?

Reality is indeed needed but not in the way you meant it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kpar2  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 14:28

Quote:

stevemac, Sat 2 Mar 23:24

Yes this will go against the overly positive stuff on here this past fortnight , but i've watched 3 out of 4 of the recent wins and in general we have still been really poor !
First half against Caley,partick and Qots have been atrocious.
yes, one way or another we have won these games in the second half but C'mon all we have achieved is avoiding relegation and we are NO WHERE near ready for promotion.
We better hope Aberdeen don't have a clause to take Anderson back because if they see the crap he has to feed off then i'm sure they will quickly use it ( as Hearts did with (Keena).
Our defence is shocking under the slightest pressure, with Devine and Williamson in particular being way out of their depth .
Yes ,I'll get people saying about recent clean sheets but we have claimed back so many slices of luck recently that we didn't get early season it is untrue.
Yes of course i want my team to win but i think we should also be entertained as well.

Well if that's the case things can only get better!!! Happy days winning games and playing like Barcelona I for 1 can't wait.

Keep ur chin up!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 14:36

Bloody hell, four wins on the trot, can we not just enjoy it?

Don't give a hoot how well we're playing if we keep winning.

Nobody is disillusioned and are aware this squad needs some surgery come next season but what Craw and co are doing with them now is incredible.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 14:43

Here is a wee bit reality.
When Jock Stein took over we had only 1 clean sheet that whole season, the first game. In his first game we lost 2. The next three games were shut outs and the final two games after that we lost one goal in each. Saved from relegation. Jocks teams with us were mainly based on solid defending.

Post Edited (Mon 04 Mar 09:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 20:12

Playing rubbish and winning games is certainly a lot easier to swallow than playing rubbish and losing, which we were doing before. I too like to be entertained, but in this business, its results that need to come first.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 20:49

I think at this stage the priority is not to lose goals and drop points. Once we have a gap between ourselves and the bottom clubs we can probably afford the luxury of playing more attractive football. We need to grind out results. Lose a few games and you are back in the relegation zone in this league. We are not promotion material but hopefully we can build on the recent perfprmances for the remainder of the season and on to next year.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 20:51

Exactly my thoughts.

Much as I like to see good football, we had to restore some confidence and self belief, for the players and the fans.

Winning does that better than anything else.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 20:58

I agree with you mach1
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Summerston Par  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 20:58

Indeed, as long as we keep winning I’m not too bothered about the football for the rest of this season. Financially, we should be looking at reaching the play offs. If we achieve that by winning 1-0 all the time, I’ll take that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 21:25

Quote:

mach1, Sun 3 Mar 20:51

Exactly my thoughts.

Much as I like to see good football, we had to restore some confidence and self belief, for the players and the fans.

Winning does that better than anything else.

This.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 21:43

Maybe deep down we all need to start believing.

Yesterday we ground it out .

The team knew it.
The fans knew it.

We all celebrated together.

We are all DAFC.

In Craw we trust..............

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 22:54

Quote:

Indiapar, Sun 03 Mar 20:49

I think at this stage the priority is not to lose goals and drop points. Once we have a gap between ourselves and the bottom clubs we can probably afford the luxury of playing more attractive football.

We have a gap already 7 points away from 7th and 10 points away from 8th

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 23:08

stevie mac victor meldrews brother i dont believe it pars are playing well enough to win thats all that matters

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 3 Mar 23:30

Couldn’t care less how we play, just as long as we win. Can’t believe we’re in a play-off spot after the mess AJ left us in. Got to give Crawford and the staff a pat on the back for turning things around.

Would have took finishing 8th when Crawford came in and try and build for next season, but looks like we have a fight on with ICT for a play-off place. Incredible.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 08:42

Some people are literally never happy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 08:52

''Some people are literally never happy.''

I think you're right, RMG. I and others were constantly criticised for being positive when things were going badly. Now people are being criticised for being positive when things are going well!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 11:28

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 4 Mar 08:52

I think you're right, RMG. I and others were constantly criticised for being positive when things were going badly. Now people are being criticised for being positive when things are going well!

And the moral of that is..... If you don't like criticism, stop being positive.... I think.

Have I got that right?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 12:35

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 4 Mar 11:28

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 4 Mar 08:52

And the moral of that is..... If you don't like criticism, stop being positive.... I think.

Have I got that right?

Critically, don't be positive!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 13:16

I have to say I struggle to see why people can’t be positive about our last 4 results. Having said that if we were all positive all the time AJ and SC would still be there and we’d be staring at relegation - although PARrot and GGRiva will no doubt claim our results would be much improved on the back of everyone’s constant positivity 😂😂😂
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 13:24

Quote:

AJ27, Mon 4 Mar 13:16

I have to say I struggle to see why people can’t be positive about our last 4 results. Having said that if we were all positive all the time AJ and SC would still be there and we’d be staring at relegation - although PARrot and GGRiva will no doubt claim our results would be much improved on the back of everyone’s constant positivity 😂😂😂

Did you do a degree in talking shyte or are you just naturally talented 😁😉🤐

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 13:56

Criticism need not always be negative of course, indeed constructive criticism can often be for the good.
I used to mentor young apprentices when I was a senior engineer and at times I gave what I hoped at least, was constructive criticism, combined with encouragement.

Think of a film, book or music critic. They could read a book and absolutely rate it, or they could loathe it, depending on their taste. Another critic could summarise in exactly the opposite way to the first.
There again an expert in grammar and English language might review in a more academic way as opposed to looking at it from entertainment or sales potential.

So the forum is like that, more about opinions and choices than actual knowledge.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 16:55

Can't be arsed replying to some of the nonsense spouted back at me.
But.....
At no point did I suggest we should be playing like Barca or man city.
I also did not criticise any of the management team.
Our style of football is hoofball and hope imo.

No wonder some people no longer want to post on here.If you go against the views of some people you just get slaughtered.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 17:40

I’m not known for my positivity on here and was sceptical of SC appointment but we have found ways to win these games. I thought we were second best on Saturday but we got in front with a marvellous strike then had the best chance of the game (Longridge) to go two nil up. I totally get what you are saying but things are a lot better than they were under AJ. This squad has limitations but we are all but safe and could even make the playoffs. Let’s ride this run and our luck whilst it lasts.

It’s a results business, results are good.

Rejoice!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 18:19

For what it's worth stevemac , I agree with you .
Whilst happy with the results I also think we're getting plenty of breaks just now , and I don't agree that we weren't getting breaks pre SC .
There was very little" bad luck" contributing to our many defeats but a lot of our childlike defending contributed to them .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 18:52

I agree as well. What it shows is that, when the players are working for each other and feel that they have the backing of the fans, they have the energy, confidence and fortitude to overcome obstacles that they might not be able to overcome if things were not going so well, that is, heads don't drop, fingers don't get pointed, etc.

It's not that the product is very different; the difference is that the resolve and the energy are plentiful.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 19:03

I find it strange that, when things are going badly, every aspect of the club is challenged - tactics, formation, team selection, fitness, recruitment, financial management etc. When things are going well it's because we're getting the breaks. It's a bit insulting to the management team and the board.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 19:09

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 4 Mar 19:03

I find it strange that, when things are going badly, every aspect of the club is challenged - tactics, formation, team selection, fitness, recruitment, financial management etc. When things are going well it's because we're getting the breaks. It's a bit insulting to the management team and the board.

Post of the year so far

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 22:37

What's written in the first post is perhaps not quite how I'd have expressed it, but I agree with much of the sentiment. That we haven't been all that impressive, that we've had a change of luck recently and that we aren't very exciting to watch at the moment are, I'd have thought, fairly obvious to anyone.

Where I differ is that I'm happy enough for it to be this way, because we really needed a few wins of any sort to get away from the bottom. Given the run of results we were on, we were in serious danger of being relegated and although we're not out of that entirely and still need at least one more win, the recent scrappy wins have helped hugely.

In truth, the football this season (all season, not just since January) has been as dull as I can ever remember. The number of goals doesn't really matter to me as I love a good well-contested 0-0 or 1-0 at least as much as a high scoring game, but I can think of very few games that I really thought were good. The 3-2 win at Tannadice was the best and the only other was the recent 2-1 loss to Ross County where we started well but I felt they were quite impressive after half-time.

As I say, I'm really pleased we've managed to put some scrappy wins together, but the squad remains incoherent aftert the absolute shambles our previous manager left us with. How we're set up at the moment is OK with me - it's a necessity given what we have, but we are pretty limited. It'll probably fall apart one day and it will look absolutely terrible, but that's just where we are at the moment. Playing as we are and getting some results in poor games is just the current manager doing his best to get the best from a tough situation. If he manages another few wins, he'll have done pretty well given what he had to pick up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 4 Mar 23:35

Bang on, Socks. Saved me quite a bit of typing.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 00:05

Socks posting exactly what I was just about to If only I had been able to translate the thoughts in to written word.

I’m happy that we are winning games without being great. Under AJ we’d have lost a goal against QOS when they were pressing at the end. A few of those blocks and clearances were tremendous. Body/Face/Head on the line. There’s definitely more character in that team than I thought. The way we buckled against the Rovers.. chucking away a great first half performance against Ross County.

Crawford has turned it around. Made us hard to beat. Improved certain players. Healed Bruce Anderson who was meant to be out for 8 weeks according to several posts on here. I might even have started one !😂.
Long way to go but definitely looking up .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 00:21

What a pleasant place this can be.
Long may it continue.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 07:57

"In truth, the football this season (all season, not just since January) has been as dull as I can ever remember. The number of goals doesn't really matter to me as I love a good well-contested 0-0 or 1-0 at least as much as a high scoring game, but I can think of very few games that I really thought were good. The 3-2 win at Tannadice was the best and the only other was the recent 2-1 loss to Ross County where we started well but I felt they were quite impressive after half-time."

I'm pretty sure Socks is meaning that the games in general have been pretty poor, not just our performance? I think that it's worth highlighting that. There isn't much between the teams. Each team is capable of getting a result, whether that be with a flash of good play or a bad mistake by the opposition, however, the standard of football this season, has been a hard watch, mostly. I'm just pleased it's been a relatively mild winter, otherwise there would have been a few less bums on seats.

So when we get home after a game and type that the Pars were shyte, it's maybe worth pondering that actually, the game was shyte and we just made one or two mistakes more than the opposition?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rossmcno1  
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 09:04

Agree with that, most of the games have been bloody awful to watch. This league is so tight that teams just cancel each other out. Turnovers of squad and manager is all about getting some momentum to get teams into better positions. Our recent run has taken us from doom to the hallowed land of promotion play offs in just 4 games. Which is absolutely batsh*t crazy.

We have improved in terms of winning games, but general play has been fairly woeful, especially in first halves. But they’ve done something to lock the door at the back and despite having some potential bonbscares in our back line, you can’t deny that we have become so much more secure.

AJ used to try to win games by playing better football with better players. We’re now trying to win games by beating the opposition through percentages and tactics.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 09:19

I feel the recent changes show the difference having ex defenders as part of the management team has made.

AJ, Sandy and Craw were all attackers and maybe just when Potter left last June, some defensive knowhow was lost.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 5 Mar 22:04

Indeed Raymie, I feel that most games this season have been poor generally. The point Ross makes about the previous manager trying to win games by playing better football with better players is also right - the problem he had, however, was that his team weren't as good as he needed for that to be effective and it made for some dreary games. That 0-0 against Alloa early in the season must be one of the worst 5 Pars games I've ever seen.

I don't think it will be this way forever, but the current approach with emphasis on being tight and givign ourselves a chance seems sensible enough for now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 05:57

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 4 Mar 23:35

As always. My only beef with Socks is that he only rarely posts on here, but when he does, it's always reasoned, insightful and intelligent. Almost impossible to argue with.

Maybe one day.....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 09:40

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 6 Mar 05:57

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 4 Mar 23:35

As always. My only beef with Socks is that he only rarely posts on here, but when he does, it's always reasoned, insightful and intelligent. Almost impossible to argue with.

Maybe one day.....

His posts are infrequent because he starts with a mad rant then takes ages to edit out all the crazy bits leaving the sensible stuff.

Lesson could be learned 😉

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CocoPar  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 13:29

If you take a look down south at Ipswich as an example, the fans were shouting out for Mick McCarthy to go, as they felt that the club were under performing. McCarthy left off his own accord last season and take a look at the Championship table just now, they need a miracle to get out of the hole they dug themselves.

Similar has been seen down south for years, Stoke are another club whose fans wanted rid of a manager that was grinding out wins and had them playing in the Europa League, take a look where they are now.

Just be thankful we are picking up points and keeping clean sheets, it should mean we are safe in this league for another year and aren't joining the likes of East Fife and Raith in the seaside league once again.

Once we reach the summer, should we keep the management team we have, they will have their own say on who stays and who goes, but for now, I am enjoying us climbing the table and maybe sneaking a top 4 finish!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 14:15

We should just be thankful Paul lambert wasn't available. 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 15:57

Quote:

Socks, Mon 04 Mar 22:37

Playing as we are and getting some results in poor games is just the current manager doing his best to get the best from a tough situation. If he manages another few wins, he'll have done pretty well given what he had to pick up.

Another well reasoned post from Socks - pity he posts so infrequently these days.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 17:50

A very positive trait in a manager is the ability to win games with what you could consider a rather weak squad which in reality is where we're at just now.

Come end of season I expect to see a lot of movement in and out of the club with only a handful being kept.

AJ used to contradict himself, he'd go on about competition for places and how the calibre of players and the flexibilities they have gave him a number of options. Truth is whilst there was competition for places we still have pretty low calibre players and whilst I agree with flexibility and options he didn't take advantage and do anything remotely different, struggled to make a sub.

Craw has proven already, he is tactically astute, can read a game and make the right changes at the right time, regardless if it works out. He is getting the best out of this batch of players right now and if it wasn't for him promotion playoffs would be long gone.

The best players recently in our squad are who Craw brought in with Anderson and Blair (Can't not mention Craigen though), Scully on Saturday just there.

If he gets the full time gig, I think it would be the most curious I've been at preseason, how would he get on when he truly puts his stamp on the club, brings in his players and plays how he wants them to play.

I think that's when we'll see if he's a fully competent manager, but he has done nothing so far to think he's not up to the job, along with the coaching staff he's brought in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 18:04

I love attractive football. There is nothing better to watch when it all goes well and you have the players with which to do it. At the moment, for better or worse we don't. Under AJ it was possible to see the ethos but equally visible that because of a few key changes in personnel it wasn't going to happen. This resulted in the inevitable ball over the top to our small strikers who were matched up against the behemoth CB's Scottish football has to offer.

Fast forward to now. Same squad with a few key changes again and all of a sudden we are doing the business. Is it Barca-esque? Absolutely not. Is it enjoyable? Absolutely. My heroes have never been the silkiest players. Could be the fact that I was born in the late seventies and some of the Pars teams I witnessed were filled with journeymen. Give me Norrie, Petrie, Bullen all day long. The new management team are instilling something in them that makes a 1-0 victory feel just as sweet as the big scores we've dealt in the past. Moving away from the relegation zone has given that wee boost that makes them fight that little bit harder. Watching the game against Thistle the other day I couldn't help but admire the closing down and general fitness that seems to have improved greatly.

I agree with Socks when he says about hard fought 0-0's or 1-0 victories. There is something very sweet about the culmination of the effort involved.

Long may it continue. No frills and all.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Wed 6 Mar 20:36

It's easy when you're scoring five, six or seven goals per game as we did at times under AJ in the promotion year. When things are not going so well, but you are able to edge in front by one goal, what are you willing to do to make the lead stand up?

It's great when you're able to score a second (and a third) as we did against Thistle recently. More often, however, you're marshaling the defense and throwing bodies in front of the ball to preserve the lead. The team has to be fully committed to the endeavor -- no hesitancy -- because the margin for error is very small.

When that type of effort pays off, great credit is due to the players and to the staff for eliciting that kind of effort. A neutral might view such a game as a drab 1-0 win, but it is compelling theatre for the fans, who can't wait for the next game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 17:29

Crazy as it sounds, if we beat a Dundee Utd who appear to have hit the skids, on Saturday, we will be seriously challenging 2nd place.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 18:46

Agree parrot, sat is a big game for us. Will our defensive tactics hoping to nick one stand up to one of the top 2 teams in this league, hard to believe we can sustain our run much longer but another few weeks wouldn’t hurt!

If we win we stand a half decent chance of making the playoffs and we might believe we can go a step further than last year in beating a rival to go up.

Look at rangers run to the eufa cup final 11 years back, a team grinding results out somehow got that far against teams with more in thier locker.....

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Sat 9 Mar 18:56

Attractive football is a bonus but winning is king. In this league where fine margins make the difference it's about winning the battle on the pitch. Our biggest test will be if we go behind and have to come back, but I don't want that to happen. We are winning, we are not conceding goals, that'll do for me.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: