DAFC.net
Home 19 May 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Crossgates Primrose
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 20:04

The Fitba Nomad online blogger ,visits new grounds both senior and juniors and East of Scotland .
Yesterday he visited the village of crossgates went to the Coaledge and Crystal pubs then on to the game ,and produced a great article .
https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/pitching-up-at-crossgates-primrose/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Crossgates Primrose
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 20:29

Thanks for posting that link. Great article and brought back many memories.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 20:31

He got to see a really good game as well. Five goals, a penalty saved and a great result for CP.

He had a good chat with Alex Smith before the game commenting on what a gentleman and underrated player he was.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 10 Mar 22:10

I don't think CP have always played in blue and yellow. I thought they originally played in red and white hoops and when they first switched to blue it was like a traditional Rangers strip with royal blue shirts and black and red stockings.

Also, I think George Kinnell and Jim Baxter were cousins which he doesn't mention. I think this was quite newsworthy when they played at Sunderland together.

Finally, I wouldn't have described Alex Smith as a 'striker'. In today's terminology he was an attacking midfielder. When he went to Rangers they tried to play him as a striker but it didn't really work.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 13:50

He was often utilised as an inside forward as it was known then, but he had as good a scoring record as many modern day strikers.

About one in three in league games for Pars and nearly one in two in the league for Rangers. Their top scorer in 1967.

Talking of the Primrose, I never knew until today that Willie Cunningham played fullback for them after the 1945 War. He also captained Scotland in the 1954 World Cup.

And can you imagine a crowd of 7600 for a cup tie against Auchinleck Talbot in the fifties?!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 14:13

I wonder if Alex would consider himself to have been a striker?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 16:49

''He had a good chat with Alex Smith before the game commenting on what a gentleman and underrated player he was.''

He certainly wasn't underrated by one dotnetter........... ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkAwFTZw5vI

'' I wouldn't have described Alex Smith as a 'striker'. In today's terminology he was an attacking midfielder. When he went to Rangers they tried to play him as a striker but it didn't really work.''

He did pretty well up front for a midfielder, wee eck. As mach1 says, he was their top scorer in 67 and was pretty close the following two years, I think. A bit of a waste of a wonderful, classy midfielder.

When he played for the Pars he wore 4 when we played teams we were expected to beat, to allow an extra attacking option and 8 when we played a stronger team like the OF or Killie, so that a more defensive player slotted in at No. 4.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:36

From viewing that wee film, you'd have to say Alex has worn well - but what about that old geezer talking about him?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:54

Quote:

mach1, Mon 11 Mar 13:50

He was often utilised as an inside forward as it was known then, but he had as good a scoring record as many modern day strikers.

About one in three in league games for Pars and nearly one in two in the league for Rangers. Their top scorer in 1967.

Talking of the Primrose, I never knew until today that Willie Cunningham played fullback for them after the 1945 War. He also captained Scotland in the 1954 World Cup.

And can you imagine a crowd of 7600 for a cup tie against Auchinleck Talbot in the fifties?!

That's not our Willie Cunningham. Ours played for Northern Ireland.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 18:44

Apologies, of course he was Irish. Don't know the other one who was mentioned in a writeup about Crossgates Primrose.
Come to think of it,the years would have been wrong as well.

PS:Just googled him and he was born in Hill of Beath. Only played three games for the Pars then moved to Airdrie then to Preston North End.

Was also a fullback.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 21:46

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 11 Mar 17:36

From viewing that wee film, you'd have to say Alex has worn well - but what about that old geezer talking about him?

That old geezer was trying really hard to sound like Arthur Montford

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 06:58

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 11 Mar 17:36

FYI Alessandrino, that "old geezer" is Dotnet's European Football Correspondent, Bruno Glanvilla.

He normally speaks with as refined English accent, Raymie, but adapted it so that punters north of the border could understand the interview without resorting to subtitles.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 19:07

Willie Cunningham never played for the Primrose - they didn't start up again after the War until 1946. Willie played for Cowdenbeath & District Schools before the War and captained the Scotland Schoolboys team. He played for juvenile sides Crossgates North End and Hill of Beath Star before playing for the Pars for a year 1945-46. Later he went to Preston and played alongside his cousin Jimmy Baxter (not that one) from Hill of Beath at Deepdale. Willie is one of three men who lived in Hill of Beath to have captained Scotland - Messsrs Baxter and Brown being the others. Crossgates Primrose's first game back in the juniors after being in abeyance was in July 1946 when they beat Kelty Our Boys 15-0. Jock Wilkie scored 8 of the goals - he was the father of Margo Wilkie/Wells
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 20:26

That's quite a claim to football fame for such a wee place.

I had forgotten that the more famous Jim Baxter was made captain for some of Scotland's games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 23:01

Crossgates Primrose have a home cup game next Saturday (the 23rd) against Arniston Rangers. With us having no game, think I will head along.

It could possibly set up a Quarter Final with Oakley United, if they win their game of course.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 11:02

Crossgates Primrose v Arniston Rangers in Kings cup 2.30 ko today

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 20:36

Another good win for the Rose. 3-0.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Mar 21:07

Disappointed at the crowd ,thought they would have brought more and with international weekend expected quite a few extras from locality
Good performance by the rose, especially with,a few back ups starting

Post Edited (Sat 23 Mar 21:09)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 06:35

Can anyone tell us why so many Junior teams take their names
From flowers?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 12:10

I've heard that there was a flower league for junior teams. Someone probably knows more about it than me.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Mon 25 Mar 12:31

Groovy Dave (remember him) knows his stuff about the junior leagues , maybe get in contact with him
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end