DAFC.net
Home 19 May 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dean Shiels
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 16:10

Former Rangers and Hibernian forward Dean Shiels says he wouldn't play for a Scottish club again following the abuse he received as a Dunfermline player.

Two men were charged after plastic eyeballs were thrown on to the pitch during a 2018 match involving Northern Ireland cap Shiels, who has one eye.

Crowd disorder has been in the news this season following missiles thrown from the stands and pitch invasions.

"These incidents seem to be occurring more and more often now," said Shiels.

"You can't prevent certain people from doing these things but something needs to change at the moment. There needs to be some sort of punishment and it needs to be severe to make people realise that they are going to clamp down on it.

"When you're on a football pitch you're not expecting something like that happen. There's people really taking it too far now and something needs to be done about it.

"People need to realise that the players are giving their all. It's their job. They're at their place of work.

"No-one wants to play behind closed doors. They want the fans there, they want to enjoy the atmosphere."

SPFL 'utterly condemns' Tavernier incident
Government could intervene, PFA warn
A spectator was arrested after confronting Rangers captain James Tavernier during Friday's match at Hibernian and there were similar incidents at two high profile English matches on Sunday.

There have also been several incidences of missiles being thrown on to the pitch at Scottish matches this season.

The plastic eyeballs incident happened during a match between Dunfermline and Falkirk in 2018.

"I actually couldn't believe what was happening, that people would go to that effort just to abuse you," Coleraine player Shiels, 34, told BBC Scotland.

"I just wanted to rip up my contract and leave but I stayed and saw it out. I couldn't wait to get out of Scotland, to be honest. Dunfermline is a good club but the abuse I took, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

"I don't think I would want to go back to Scotland now. I've had abuse at nearly every ground I went to. I've been abused by parents standing with their children. It left a sour taste in my mouth. I had some great memories in Scotland."

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dean Shiels
Topic Originator: daviepars1885  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:02

Am sure i read somewhere the charges were dropped against the two arrested as they were charge under the offensive football act but that got repealed so they are trying to find a charge so they can still attend games.

Post Edited (Mon 11 Mar 17:11)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: daviepars1885  
Date:   Mon 11 Mar 17:12

Take my own lot, going back to the notorious eyeball-throwing incident at Dean Shiels. Two were charged under the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act but when that was repealed before they appeared in court, the police said they would find another charge to make stick. A year on, the club are still waiting and still having to allow to both to walk through the door of their stadium every week.

Waddell it was
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 00:11

"A year on, the club are still waiting and still having to allow to both to walk through the door of their stadium every week."

A football club, like any business, has the right to refuse custom provided it is not breaching any over-riding laws on discrimination etc.

So if a club wants to bar any individual(s) from attending its matches I don't see why they have to allow them to do so.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 05:35

Shameful the abuse he received from opposition fans. Reading that article that is not very clear.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 11:11

Stanza is absolutely correct.

The Falkirk chairperson, a lady lawyer, made a big deal of questioning DS about comments the two Falkirk players allegedly made to him.

She’s not so quick to take action against the two fans apparently.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 12:44

Knowing what they are like, probably most of the Falkirk fans thought that the throwing of the eye balls funny.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 19:35

I think that Dean makes the point tgat at tge end if the day its his job and he is going to work. Nobody deserves abuse in whatever form. Things need to move on in football in that respect.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 20:02

VEE is entirely correct: the Falkirk Chairperson did take on the cross-examination of Dean Shiels. It lasted for a considerable time, and was effectively her trying to prove him untruthful.

This failed. The tribunal believed him in their judgement.

For a number of reasons, I believe this to have been a mistake in judgement on her part, and it would have been much better for Falkirk FC if they had used another lawyer -- and thereby distanced herself from the inevitable bitterness of the Shiels family towards her and Falkirk FC, which was subsequently vented in the press.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end