DAFC.net
Home 26 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scotland fan attacked Alan Ball in 1973
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 00:34

Given the sad situation currently with fans coming on to the pitch and assaulting players, does anyone remember a Scottish fan attacking England player Alan Ball at Wembley in 1973. I was at the game, which we lost 1 0, and remember well a Scottish fan getting on to the pitch and assaulting Alan Ball. The fan received a huge roar of approval from what I remember! Have things changed that much since 1973?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scotland fan attacked Alan Ball in 1973
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 08:08

In general, crowd trouble is a lot less since 1973. Mass brawls and arrests are hopefully a thing of the past.

Changes in Scotland like banning alcohol from being consumed on the terraces, crowd segregation and all seating stadiums for the larger games, seems to have reduced so much fighting and bottle throwing, in comparison to those times.

While such changes may affect physical events, they can't change the attitudes and thinking of some fans who attend football.

Watching the recently shown footage of Pars win vs Valencia you see a Pars fan running onto the pitch after one of the goals to hug a Pars player. Sadly he would provably be ejected and/or arrested today.

That is a consequence, as neither fans, nor players can celebrate as they once did for fear of inciting trouble.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 09:21

Quote:

Townsvillepar, Tue 12 Mar 00:34

Given the sad situation currently with fans coming on to the pitch and assaulting players, does anyone remember a Scottish fan attacking England player Alan Ball at Wembley in 1973. I was at the game, which we lost 1 0, and remember well a Scottish fan getting on to the pitch and assaulting Alan Ball. The fan received a huge roar of approval from what I remember! Have things changed that much since 1973?

Was it not found that the attacker was an England fan dressed up ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 09:25

Quote:

mach1, Tue 12 Mar 08:08

In general, crowd trouble is a lot less since 1973. Mass brawls and arrests are hopefully a thing of the past.

Changes in Scotland like banning alcohol from being consumed on the terraces, crowd segregation and all seating stadiums for the larger games, seems to have reduced so much fighting and bottle throwing, in comparison to those times.

While such changes may affect physical events, they can't change the attitudes and thinking of some fans who attend football.

Watching the recently shown footage of Pars win vs Valencia you see a Pars fan running onto the pitch after one of the goals to hug a Pars player. Sadly he would provably be ejected and/or arrested today.

That is a consequence, as neither fans, nor players can celebrate as they once did for fear of inciting trouble.

The end of our cup final win in 1961 saw some fans on the pitch because of a shower of bottles flung by Celtic fans after our second goal.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 10:44

Some Celtic fans were fighting amongst themselves towards the final stages of the 1961 replay.

The post 1980 cup final ban on alcohol in grounds was a key factor in reducing crowd trouble, compounded later by the demise of terracing.

Celtic fans invaded Ibrox from both ends of the ground during a cup semi v St. Mirren in the early 1960s, an attempt to have the game abandoned as Celtic were down by 4 goals.

There was no malicious intent, it was mostly laddies, none of the opposing players were under threat. The crowd was eventually herded back onto the terraces and the game completed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 11:41

Was the pitch not invaded by Par's fans after the victory at the Hawthorns (WBA) 1969?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: anglo par  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 13:17

"Some people are on the pitch.....they think it's all over, it is now!!"

"I tried to drown my sorrows,but the b******s learned how to swim."
Frida Kahlo (1907-1954)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 13:45

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 13:52

One of the scariest scenes I saw at a football match was the game we played against Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup at East End Park in January 1977. There were bottles being smashed off the gantries on the now, NW & NE stands when it was terracing. Fans spilt onto the pitch to avoid the broken glass showering down on top of each other.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Helmsdale Par  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 14:00

I seem to remember Alan Ball saying he admired the fan for his passion and could come round to his house anytime for a drink.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 14:52

I remember the game against Aberdeen. I started in where the North West Stand is now. However due to Aberdeen thugs attacking our support I ended up watching the game from behind the goals at the Cowdenbeath end. Unfortunately Fife police did not seem to know about the Aberdeen support. In 1976 in the cup Aberdeen did the same in Alloa. I was there with mates, we heard noise at the back of us and went to investigate. There was full blooded battle going on. I think that all of those not involved ended up on the pitch. Whilst there was only 1 or 2 police in the first half virtually every policeman plus specials were called out. Many innocent people were arrested that day.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 16:16

When he became boss at Celtic Gordon Strachan was reminded of the game at Parkhead when he played for Aberdeen and was confronted by a fan who came on to the park with less than friendly intentions.

In his inimitable style Strachan said that the guy’s mates had a whip round in the pub and the villain of the piece ended up with more cash in his pocket after paying the fine that wee Gordon got from Aberdeen in wages that day !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 16:31

Was our own Pars stalwart from the 1960s, Jim Fraser, not kicked by a fan while playing one of the Old Firm in Glasgow?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 22:24

Lochgelly Albert... I was one of the many fans that went on to the pitch at the Hawthorns that night. Kissed the ground even!! Wonderful night.

Stanza...that's the man

Sammer... I was at Ibrox when Jim Fraser was attacked by an idiot. The police were ruthless that day, and dragged him over the wall without any thoughts for his welfare!

Helmsdale Par...I remember Alan Ball being gracious and offering to meet up with the attacker! I bet Jack Grealish is not thinking the same!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:39

Quote:

sammer, Tue 12 Mar 16:31

Was our own Pars stalwart from the 1960s, Jim Fraser, not kicked by a fan while playing one of the Old Firm in Glasgow?

Yes, Sammer. As Townsville says it was at Ibrox. First game of the season, hadn't even kicked off yet,IIRC , when this numpty ran up behind Jim Faser and started punching and kicking him.

The police ran on and carted him off quite unceremoniously. Hopefully, he got a little bit of his own medicine in the cells that night.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 16:20

Anyone remember the Airdrie fans invasions when we played them on the last day at Broomfield. Our players were attacked and they refused to go back over the barriers. The police from recollection did nothing and the game continued. I believe one of our players was kicked and the ref still played on. The STV put it down to high spirits. Our team should have walked of. To me that was far worse than a single fan trying to hit a player.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 18:39

David Kyle an exiled Scot who lived in Coventry was the man who ran on and had the altercation with Alan Ball. He was fined £10 plus £3 for being drunk and disorderly. Ball did indeed say he wished England had fans as passionate as the Scots. Later a newspaper arranged for Kyle and Ball to meet up and amicably enjoy a meal together
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 20:19

I remember it well - we were attacked by a huge group of thugs on the way back to our bus.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: