DAFC.net
Home 26 March 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 VAR again
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 20:43

Basically it sucks imo .
Fitba survived without it for well over a century .
Decisions taking all the spontaneity out of the game

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: VAR again
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 20:47

I only turned on when they showed Sterling in an offside position (still frame) and then they awarded the goal. Should the goal stand?

[IMG]http://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 20:51

It looked offside to me as well but VAR is the decider now .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 22:38

Var got the decisions right. What’s the problem ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 22:52

Anything that reduces the number of mistakes in the game is a good thing. VAR can never eradicate them but it's already proved it's worth and it hasn't even properly bedded in yet
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 23:05

Watched it again during the analysis, with the lines up on screen, and the correct decision was made.

[IMG]http://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 23:21

I'd rather see a system that challenges and can help overturn wrong decisions, than have wrong decisions decide the fate of any team.

VAR will gradually become established at some level within the game imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 12 Mar 23:55

VAR is here to stay so we best get used to it

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 07:10

Ok , it gets it right , but why is it taking 3 mins to decide if someone is offside .
Btw they hung around waiting on decisions for 5 mins last night then the ref played 2 mins injury time .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 08:28

The only issue with VAR last night was the length of time it took for the first couple of decisions. Other than that i gave the correct decision for the goals and the offside.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 10:02

Big games are often decided on very small margins and referees can often be swayed by very noisy home supports. Offside decisions are frequently wrong. I remember a devestating decision against Naismith when Scotland were playing Italy at Hampden. How about the Bobo Baldi incident in the cup final. We could have won the cup that day. If we want accuracy we can't just leave it to the officials because they regularly make mistakes.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:46

Quote:

Lambo1885, Wed 13 Mar 08:28

The only issue with VAR last night was the length of time it took for the first couple of decisions. Other than that i gave the correct decision for the goals and the offside.

I heard from a former Pars director this morning that from next season, they are removing the ref's final say, so he'll just be told to change his call if VAR believe he's made a mistake or missed something.

That should speed things up but I don't think it will be popular with match refs as they will see it as undermining their authority.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 13 Mar 11:52

I forgot to mention that in the City game as well last night the linesman utilised the VAR system the way he should have too.

He let the game play which is resulted in two goals being scored and then he flagged offside to kick off the review. One of the calls was correct but the other one wasn't. It might not have been the most crucial of games but waiting two or three mins for a decision is nowhere near as frustrating as finding out you've been done by a crap decision.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 19:08

Swansea wishing it was in place tonight. They could have beaten Man City

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 02:26

Joke that this season the FA cup has the rule of VAR ONLY at Prem League club home games. Either have it everywhere or nowhere imo and I'm a big advocate of it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 15:01

If the assistants did their job correctly and helped the referee VAR would be very rarely required.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 15:10

Even Pep Guardiola,to his credit,mentioned that the Penalty decision was wrong while the clinching Manchester City goal was offside.

Swansea City did not have VAR.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 15:48

More time speaking about var than talking about the match - var the ultimate tv fans gimmick
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 15:58

Not really sure how VAR is a TV fan gimmick. I'm pretty sure most paying customers want to see as many correct decisions as possible and VAR helps with that. Swansea might still be in the FA cup had VAR been in place.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:00

''If the assistants did their job correctly and helped the referee VAR would be very rarely required.''

Can't argue with that, but some match refs instruct their assistants to flag only for throw ins, corners, goal kicks and offsides and tell them they'll deal with everything else themselves.

Some linesmen are so scared they don't even flag until they see which way the ref is pointing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parahandy  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:16

It’s the tv companies that want var - no problem for 150 years letting refs call it. All fans are entitled to have their game controlled and reffed in a standard manner - but money not paying customers means the game at the top will become more elite and be controlled differently
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:32

No it's not. I want VAR because I'm fed up watching referees get it wrong. They are only human so I'm not having a pop at them but if you've got the technology then it should be used.

Theres been glaring problems for 150 years letting humans run the game without assistance. As I type this Brighton have just had a goal chalked off for an incorrect offside decision. If Millwall win on penalties they'll be livid.

Post Edited (Sun 17 Mar 16:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:33

Have to admit I'm not a fan .
I know it'll get almost all the decisions right , but fitba is always abt "the moment" . That's going to be lost as everyone sits on their hands waiting on someone sitting in a remote studio somewhere telling them whether to cheer or not .
I could put up with the odd decisions that don't go my way from a ref , the same way I take the one's that do go my way .
It's been that way for all my fitba going days . Old fashioned ? Aye , but that's me lol .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:37

You cheer then cheer again when its confirmed. On the other hand if your team benefits from an opponents goal being chalked off you wind up the opposition.

It's really not that big a deal when you're at a game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:40

Not having VAR has cost Brighton a semi final place.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:45

Justice has been served, but why is the GK not booked for cleaning his studs.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 16:45

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sun 17 Mar 16:40

Not having VAR has cost Brighton a semi final place.

No it hasnt. Just got through on penalties.

Cue a Milwall fan meltdown and few knife attacks in the news shortly I reckon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MDCCCLXXXV  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 20:02

I heard one of the comentators saying during Liverpool or Brighton game today "that next season in the premiership linesmen have to flag offsides as normal but players have to finish the move incase VAR is called upon.

East End Park is a symbol of all that is DAFC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 17 Mar 20:14

It's already caused confusion this season in a cup game I'm sure. Players should always play to the whistle but they stop when they see the flag up. They'll need to get used to playing to the whistle again. I'm sure the same happens in Italy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 00:11

v a r beat my coupon valencia scored winner but 2 minutes later was cancelled out very annoying

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 07:08

Quote:

Parsweep, Sun 17 Mar 16:33

Have to admit I'm not a fan .
I know it'll get almost all the decisions right , but fitba is always abt "the moment" . That's going to be lost as everyone sits on their hands waiting on someone sitting in a remote studio somewhere telling them whether to cheer or not .
I could put up with the odd decisions that don't go my way from a ref , the same way I take the one's that do go my way .
It's been that way for all my fitba going days . Old fashioned ? Aye , but that's me lol .

The Pars might well have beaten Sellick in the 2004 SC Final, if we'd had VAR. Still of the same opinion now, Parsweep?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 07:34

Was at the game , and aye , I'm still of the same opinion .
Other side of the coin to your example .
We reached a final due to a pretty dodgy penalty in a semi final ( v Airdrie ?) that probably wouldn't have been given had var been around .
Swings and roundabouts .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 10:01

Quote:

Parsweep, Mon 18 Mar 07:34

Was at the game , and aye , I'm still of the same opinion .
Other side of the coin to your example .
We reached a final due to a pretty dodgy penalty in a semi final ( v Airdrie ?) that probably wouldn't have been given had var been around .
Swings and roundabouts .

Fair enough, Parsweep. I'd gladly have traded that League Cup final defeat for another SC win all the same.... ☺

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 10:09

Me too lol

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 14:12

Would Skerla's goal have survived VAR? Some on TV didn't like it, but they also thought it was okay for Balde to punch the ball in the box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 16:10

There was an image showing Henrik Larson jumping one of our players shoulders to put Celtic 2-1 up in a cup tie at EEP. We scored in stoppage to make the game 2-2. VAR would have allowed us a rare victory.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Mon 18 Mar 17:57

Haha VAR would be absolutely crooked if it was applied in Scotland.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CALGARYPAR  
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 14:47

It’s used in NHL and NFL andnhas been for years.

In NHL all major decisions are automatically reviewed such as goals, potential fouls etc.

This is done by a central station in Toronto that has all games streamed to them, the referee can also request assistance and a review from this panel if he is not certain about the correct call

Granted some of those reviews take a little while but it’s a stop the clock game so they aren’t quite so rushed.

I see no reason why there can’t be a studio somewhere that a review panel could sit in on a match day, allowing the game to continue as normal while the PANEL review any offsides, penalties, goals etc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 19 Mar 16:40

How many games would a studio panel cover . I would have thought one game per panel .
If var is going to be rolled out on a large scale , there's going to be lot of people involved in the process .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: