DAFC.net
Home 17 July 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Corners and free-kicks.
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 10:04

I think we've all been impressed by the improvement in the delivery from corners and free-kicks since Ryan Blair joined the club. However, on Saturday our second goal came from an outswinging corner taken by Louis Longridge. Stevie Crawford confirmed in his post-match interview that it was a move the players had worked on in training but he obviously thought the corner had been taken by Blair! I'm sure Blair took a few inswinging corners from the right in the second half but can't recall whether Longridge took any others during the game. The more options the better but I wonder who decides who should take them.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Corners and free-kicks.
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 10:29

The manager most likely

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 10:52

Yes, you'd think so, but the manager didn't know who took the one they practised in training which led to a goal!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:48

I wouldn't be surprised if the players have an element of discretion in the choice as to who it takes it if they've been working on both in swinging and out swinging corners in training.

Sometimes a team will take 3/4 of one type of corner then switch it up to try and catch the opponents off guard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:52

It's reasonable to assume that there won't just be one person allocated for taking corners, free kicks, etc... Otherwise if that player got kicked up the stand in the first minute of the game, it would throw the whole game plan up in the air.
There will be a few players allocated different tasks ... Which ones take what and when I suppose is entirely up to the players on the pitch at the time.
But they will have been given their orders by the manager.... I would think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:52

Whatever happened to ring a ring a roses and the starburst setups at corners?
Never worked but they did make you laugh.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:56

That's a good point on the injuries. If an opportunity to take a quick corner or free kick arose and the player best placed to take it wasnt the designated taker, it would be a bit mad to not go for it and then rigidly set up as per your training session. You'd want players to have the footballing brains to know when was a good time to go for it and when was a good time to follow a set play.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 11:58

You've just identified a problem in your last sentence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 12:37

So none of our players have "footballing brains", is that what you're saying?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 Apr 13:37

Blair should be on every set piece. Laid one on a plate for Ashcroft on Saturday and almost scored from 40 yards out with a direct free-kick.

On top of that, he set up 2 goals against Thistle at EEP from corner kicks. I honestly can't remember the last time we scored from 2 corners in a game - although no doubt it was more recent that I think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end