DAFC.net
Home 16 June 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 DAFC - Mental Health Awareness Sessions
Topic Originator: yvb-par  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 10:01

Hi, Please see below the article from cows. I am Eddie Martin and really pleased that we have a forward thinking board which has approved this.

MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS

Thursday, 11th Apr 2019
Mental Health Awareness sessions at East End Park
Following a recent mental health awareness presentation to the Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters Club by Pars fan and qualified Mental Health First Aid instructor Eddie Martin, and subsequent discussions with the DAFC Board, DAFC are pleased to offer their support in raising mental health awareness.

East End Park will host a series of three meetings over the coming months with the first meeting taking place on Wednesday, 8th May between 7pm and 9pm. Further meetings are planned for 29th May and 19th June. The meetings will be a safe place for any supporters who wish to attend. Rather than being therapeutic, these sessions will offer awareness, support and an opportunity to talk. Together with Eddie, a further two Mental Health First Aiders will be in attendance at each meeting. The venue will create an informal atmosphere giving a sense of home and belonging set during them.

The sessions will discuss such topics as anxiety, depression, the use of alcohol and drugs, suicide and recovery and it’s hoped that volunteers might come forward to be trained as Mental Health First Aiders, at a later date, where training will be provided free of charge.
Should you have any questions or would like more information ahead of the first meeting on 8th May, please email andrew@dafc.co.uk or call 07809 176509.

Post Edited (Thu 11 Apr 11:09)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: DAFC - Mental Health Awareness Sessions
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 12:45

Well done : great initiative. Good to see the Pars moving ahead on this front.

I was going to say something flip about needing a bit of counselling after reading some of the posts on here after a defeat, but it is actually much more important than that. It deserves widespread support.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 18:45

Well done for getting this off the ground, Eddie.

I hope it is supported and is successful.

Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters' Club (DADSC) will promote it on their Facebook Page, and it would be good if followers of that Page and other Pars fans were to bring it to the attention of any of their family or friends who might benefit.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 23:44

Well done indeed for getting this going. These issues really are important, and hopefully by being based around a football club it will find some people who need support but who might not feel comfortable looking for it by other means. I volunteer with one fairly big charity where I listen to and support people with issues including those mentioned above, but although anyone is welcome to call us, I'm not sure how successful we are at targetting certain groups. This is where a football link really could be helpful and hopefully it can grow into something that is a genuine help to people who need some support.

I'm happy to support this if there's a way to do so. I haven't done the mental health first aid course (though some of my training as a listener will probably overlap) so probably can't help directy at the moment. However, I'm convinced of the importance of things like this, and would like to see it succeed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stella Kozma  
Date:   Thu 11 Apr 23:55

This is a great initiative. Suggested and setup by a fan. Supported by the Board.

Makes me proud to be a Par.

I think the training will be very interesting. I also think many will benefit from learning more and be better for understanding more about Mental Health and it's unfair reach.

Kirkcaldy Parasites Live On
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 00:27

Great stuff guys! Very much needed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 05:29

An excellent initiative; well done by everyone involved.

It only has to help one person to be worthwhile.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 07:12

If we are a true community club then we have a responsibility to cater for all members of that community, another positive move by the club

Well done Eddie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 08:16

Mental health is the worst kind of illness out there! One of the hardest things about this for many is coming along, or getting those who need to come along, to come along. I’m going to try my best to get someone to come along to this, but feel I’ll be met with resistance

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 08:36

Being in the midst of Dementia every day, I think this is a great initiative , and I commend all involved. x
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:02

Understanding is a great word to use here. Especially if someone's family member or friend is affected, you are more than welcome to attend and hopefully gain some knowledge and understanding.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:03

Well done to the club for this.

Having years of personal family members afflicted with depression, anxiety and social phobia and seeing their lives and development virtually halted as a result, I can only be grateful for anything that is achieved.

Unlike most physical illnesses, there is no clear way to treat and deal with mental health matters. It's difficult for the patients and carers or family members alike.

Well done again for raising awareness.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 10:28

This is superb news, It has also effect a couple of the players we currently have. This is brilliant and shows our real commitment to the community
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Fri 12 Apr 13:31

Excellent initiative which sadly affects so many, especially young males.

Good on all involved, another great example of fan-led involvement and community engagement. Best wishes for success.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 16:36

With one week to go, the evening session is planned. This starts in the Jock Stein suite on Wednesday 8th May. 7 - 9 pm
It will begin with a welcome and introduction what is mental health.
A small quiz on mental health dismissing the myths.
Attitudes towards mental health with an activity on our own attitudes using the frame of reference.
Over the three sessions we will discuss alcohol and drugs, anxiety and depression, suicide and recovery. All sessions will end with a mindfulness and wellbeing exercise.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 1 May 17:50

Great stuff, really really great, there's a need and I would implore any fellow Par who is struggling to dig in and try take the chance to talk, it could very well change your life.
Peace be.

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 1 May 20:48

Thanks Rastapari, hopefully this is just the begining of something special. The sessions will not be therapeutic but a safe place/room for people to have an opportunity to talk and gain an understanding of mental health whether it be for themselves, family or friends.
Taking away the taboo and breaking down barriers I'm hoping that the sessions will be enjoyable too.
If volunteers come forward at a later date I will put on a Mental Health First Aid course free of charge giving an opportunity for those who wish to do it to become first aiders
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 1 May 22:10

Quote:

yvb-par, Wed 1 May 20:48

Thanks Rastapari, hopefully this is just the begining of something special. The sessions will not be therapeutic but a safe place/room for people to have an opportunity to talk and gain an understanding of mental health whether it be for themselves, family or friends.
Taking away the taboo and breaking down barriers I'm hoping that the sessions will be enjoyable too.
If volunteers come forward at a later date I will put on a Mental Health First Aid course free of charge giving an opportunity for those who wish to do it to become first aiders

It was exactly this sort of thing that got me talking about my mental health in a realistic way with folk of a similar standing shall we say.
Again, anyone of a persuasion...if you feel the time and the company may just be right for you....go along✌✊

I Hope You're Ok Today....
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 2 May 23:13

This is a really worthwhile exercise being put on by Eddie, fully supported by both DADSC and DAFC.

I have freed up the Wednesday night and will be there to listen and hopefully learn.

This is not a side show though - it is about real life - all around us - all the time.

I want to be better at understanding and spotting when, why and how it affects anyone of us.

That way I might better appreciate what others are going through and be better placed to do and say the right thing to help in just some small way.

What I also really hope is to be able to take part in the Mental Health First Aid course that will hopefully follow if enough people are like-minded.

COYPs

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 2 May 23:27

Great stuff Eddie. I’ll be there on Wednesday.

buffysbuns.wordpress.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sat 4 May 09:45

I would be interested in the Mental Health First AId Course Eddie
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 4 May 22:49

Yeah, I'm really excited about the sessions and if there is enough names come forward 1970 Par I'd be delighted to roll out the mental health first aid course free of charge.
Early intervention is crucial - to train, give confidence to others to ask the question can save lives
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 22:43

Quick reminder for anyone and everyone that is interested. There seems to be quite some interest for Eddie to run the Mental Health First Aid Course too.

MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS

Mental Health Awareness sessions at East End Park
Following a recent mental health awareness presentation to the Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters Club by Pars fan and qualified Mental Health First Aid instructor Eddie Martin, and subsequent discussions with the DAFC Board, DAFC are pleased to offer their support in raising mental health awareness.

East End Park will host a series of three meetings over the coming months with the first meeting taking place on Wednesday, 8th May between 7pm and 9pm. Further meetings are planned for 29th May and 19th June. The meetings will be a safe place for any supporters who wish to attend. Rather than being therapeutic, these sessions will offer awareness, support and an opportunity to talk. Together with Eddie, a further two Mental Health First Aiders will be in attendance at each meeting. The venue will create an informal atmosphere giving a sense of home and belonging set during them.

The sessions will discuss such topics as anxiety, depression, the use of alcohol and drugs, suicide and recovery and it’s hoped that volunteers might come forward to be trained as Mental Health First Aiders, at a later date, where training will be provided free of charge.

Should you have any questions or would like more information ahead of the first meeting on 8th May, please email andrew@dafc.co.uk or call 07809 176509.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 11:05

* A gentle reminder that the Mental Health Awareness sessions begin tonight in the Jock Stein suite
7:00 - 9:00pm*
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Captain Desmond Fancey  
Date:   Wed 8 May 11:57

As somebody who has taken more anti-depressant and anti-anxiety tablets than I care to remember over the year I'd also throw my entire weight behind this excellent program.

Found that any combination of minfdulness, Cognitive Therapy, Hypnosis and just plain "talking" worked absolute wonders for me and did far more than any medicine ever did.

Don't get me wrong I'd never encourage people not to try medication too, but there really isn't any substitute for talking, getting things off your chest and out into the open.

Wishing the program every success.

I wouldn't fancy a poke with that....your blade ma'am
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 12:59

Thanks for the kind words Captain, this will give people an opportunity to understand and talk in a safe place.
Something that has never happened before.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 9 May 12:39

So it's a big thank you to everyone who came along to the mental health awareness session last night. The feedback has been great, people saying it was enjoyable and fun!
Looking forward to the next session it will be about Anxiety and Depression.
Wednesday 29th May

Homework last night was tell your friends and bring them along everyone more than welcome
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end