DAFC.net
Home 23 April 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Defensive Errors - the Stats
Topic Originator: RossDAFC  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 13:33

Looking at the Scottish Championship only, we have conceded 36 goals this season. The fans on this forum are often quick to defend Lee Ashcroft and slate the likes of Ryan Williamson and Danny Devine. Thought i'd just clear some things up with some stats.

Clear individual mistakes from defence leading to goals this season in the league:

Williamson - Ross County (H) = 1
Devine - Alloa (H) = 1
Ashcroft - Ayr (A), Falkirk (H)* = 2
Longridge - Dundee United (H), Alloa (H)** = 2
Robinson - Morton (A)** = 1
Craigen - Partick (A)** (Devine at fault a bit too) = 1

Others:

Higgy - Ross County (H)* = 1

* meaning the error cost us a point
**meaning the error cost us 3 points

Total points dropped due to errors alone = 11

On the face of it, this just seems like the average for a team of our level. The overall level of defending has been the issue - a lot of set pieces and silly goals conceded. I would go through and do the strikers stats but it would take forever due to the amount of chances we have missed this season! This post hopefully won't spark any debate but rather be a reference point for the fans. In all honesty, I seem to have remembered a fair few more individual mistakes than this but I have went through every goal conceded and these were the only obvious ones.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Defensive Errors - the Stats
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 13:38

I don’t recall so many individual clear errors like it has been this season compared to previous.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 13:41

A lot of the goals are really weak defending where a player gets turned really easily or puts in a weak tackle but yes a lack of individual errors.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_90  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 13:41

What an absolute useless set of stats

Suppose you could then cancel out any errors by seeing how many goals have been prevented by tackles, saves ,goal line clearances etc .
Further to this don't you think every club will have similar
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 13:45

You've obviously not read the whole post? I literally said it looks like the average number of errors compared to other teams and that it's for reference for future posts that seem to cite defensive errors as the reason for dropping points. As we all know it's the lack of creativity that has hurt us most this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cjp1981  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 14:03

I'm surprised it wasn't more tbh so that is a bit of an eye opener.

The defence definitely needs a sort out pre season too though, both centre halves seem happy to let the ball bounce inf front of them, that's always going to cause problems, especially with the lack of pace.

Anyone follow the reserves closely? I'd be interested to know what the boy Morrison is like?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 14:23

Caught out by odd bounces far too often was one of my takeaways from this. Professional footballers should never get done by the bounce.

I would like to see Morrison feature pre-season and in the easier cup matches to see what he is like. Seemed to have done well at Edin City from what I heard?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 16:37

I look at errors differently , apart from obvious ones I also take into consideration where a player should be tackling but backs off and allows the shot or cross to come in and it costs us a goal , or if a player is out of position and doesn't track back etc without blaming individuals I think we all know the main culprits but at the end of the day it is a team game game so collectively they take the blame
and our centre backs this year are the worst pairing i have seen in a long time and midfield apart from joe are far too slow and predictable with absolutely no fight in them , forwards well i think Messi would struggle to score in our team
lets just get 3 points this Saturday to make sure we are playing in this league next season ! and from there let's hope we will have some quality coming in for next season and the sooner the better this season was written off a long time ago
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: chewie  
Date:   Sun 14 Apr 17:10

Our defenders are hesitant, often letting high balls bounce and fail to read them properly. It doesn't always result in a goal, but that goal can come after 3 or 4 phases of play or a needlessly conceded corner or free kick. It puts us under pressure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 13:05

Might want to adjust your figures - we certainly didn’t drop 3 points in games that were drawn!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 13:07

You've been very generous there in not giving blame for some goals, very generous.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 14:22

Danny Devine - 1 error? All season? He’s probably into double figures for goals he’s cost us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 17:22

How have you compiled your stats?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 15 Apr 17:34

Oi! You're not allowed to question him, it's a point of reference.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 11:11

Apologies, I meant that ** should indicate where we got 1 point instead of 3, so 2 points dropped would be correct?

I went through every game on youtube Raymie and judged each goal. A lot were a combination of poor defending but these were the clear and obvious errors that I spotted from each player. League only mind.

As for Devine it really surprised me too! Think in general he's just not the level of defender we need but in terms of goal causing 'errors' just the one.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 12:14

Credit to you for doing that,Ross. It must have taken quite some time?

The difficult part is the "should have done better" category. Take the Falkirk game. Whilst not an obvious error, Devine should probably not have allowed the scorer to get past him so easily?
Not an obvious error as that is subjective.

Another example could be losing possession from a misplaced pass, and then a couple of phases later, concede a goal. Again, not an obvious error, but that error led to the goal some seconds later.
An example would be in last night's Watford match, the full back passed it back to the keeper who got his kick charged down. It would be fair to be critical of the full back also, because he could easily have played the ball down the line instead of opting to turn back and give it to his goalie, who would then never have made that mistake.

Tricky debate to have.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Tue 16 Apr 12:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 13:00

It would have been a fair bit of work looking through all those goals. I suppose who is at fault is harder to judge. It may be that a midfielder has been out of position further up the park, which has led to a defender coming further forward to cover. It's pretty difficult to analyse exactly who is at fault sometimes
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 Apr 14:17

It took me about an hour, I had all of our results up on one tab and simply youtubed the dates we played. That brought up the highlights and I skipped to roughly where the report said the goal time was. Luckily we've only conceded 34 goals so wasn't too bad.

I gues looking at it that way though from my research we can see that 9/34 goals were direct errors from our players which is roughly 25%. Would be interesting to see where this ranked against other teams
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

f=[], target=[], forgotpass=[] ,
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: