DAFC.net
Home 21 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Scottish Championship Teams - 2019/20
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 6 May 10:57

So looks like the league will be:

- Dundee
- 3 of the following (Ayr, ICT, Dundee UTD and St. Mirren/Hamilton)
- Morton
- Partick
- Dunfermline
- Alloa
- Arbroath
- 1 of the following (QOS, Rovers, Forfar, Montrose)

No idea which 3 from the top I'd like to be in the division, but would like the rovers to come up but Forfar seem to be hitting a good run of form.

so my guess will be St. Mirren/Hamilton to stay up and Forfar to be promoted
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Scottish Championship Teams - 2019/20
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 6 May 11:17

Personally from the top I'd want Ayr, ICT and St Mirren. Given Ayr and ICT are losing key players that's a good thing for us. St Mirren would probably have to make a lot of changes if they went down. I just want Dundee United gone given the huge backing they're getting from the Americans which would be impossible to compete with. Hamilton is a big no no given the investment they get and the taxi load of fans they have. From the bottom I'm not too fussed about any of then, preferably rovers but should either of the others come up then we should technically be able to take more points, I don't think Montrose or Forfar could do what alloa have done this year I'd probably want QotS down as they have little or no crowd but have the capability to cause us problems with a player like dobbie. It's going to be another tough season but if we do the right things preseason our aim once again should be a top 4 finish with us playing some more attractive football. I think as much as anything the philosophy of football is really important right now to get people enjoying our style of play again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: YankeeDollar  
Date:   Mon 6 May 11:31

I hope Dundee Utd, Ayr Utd & ICT fail in their bid to win promotion. Why? Just cutting my nose to spite my face ha ha ha. No seriously, competition in this league is tremendous and having a Dundee derby will put more meat on the bones. As for the DA, we're miles behind with what's happened recently, the BOD needs to have a hard look at themselves regarding managerial appointments. There is no easy fix here that's for sure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Mon 6 May 15:32

I hope for Inverness to win the promotion playoffs with St Mirren coming down and hopefully Raith will be promoted replacing qots
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 6 May 15:43

Teams coming down have decent players for this league and a 2 year parachute payment. They will attract good players before us after finishing so low. I think ICT and Ayr will weaken gradually as they remain in this league. Utd will be strong next year too so maybe I prefer them to go up at the expense of St Mirren.
The two relegated sides or Dundee Utd plus Partick will be tough. The fourth spot will be the target again for Morton ICT and us if we recruit well. Ayr without Shankland will fade.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 6 May 17:11

Obviously it's crazy to make serious forecasts when we don't know 20% of the league and we don't know who is in anyone's squad.

But, with those caveats, I agree with PARrot that our realistic target is going to be 4th place.

I just have a feeling Dundee might struggle, as most relegated teams have done, and our best chance of a high finish will be if the play-offs result in Dundee Utd and QoS being replaced by Hamilton and Forfar/Montrose.

In that case I wouldn't be surprised to see ICT and Partick competing for the title, with us competing with Dundee and Hamilton for third and fourth spots.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars232  
Date:   Mon 6 May 17:59

United to go up, st mirren down. Raith up please!! Love a wee trip up to Inverness so gladly see them stay put
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:06

Considering the clear-out that's been announced I think that consolidation and survival in the Championship is our principal objective. Mind you, if the mooted changes to the Championship actually go ahead at least we might not have to worry about relegation!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:10

What mooted changes?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:12

BBC are reporting the SPFL are in urgent talks to increase the Scottish Championship to 12 clubs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:18

Not brilliant at this sort of link thing but here goes: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48179898
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:23

Thanks for the heads up on that SP. Just read the article. On first viewing, the only thing I don't like about this idea is the Colts team plan. We already all know who the two teams would be...

There's always an Old Firm angle to any plan to progress the game in Scotland. My suspicion is that this would be a precursor to them making moves towards a Euro-wide league. This would enable them to maintain a footprint in the Scottish leagues too. Best of both worlds for the ugly sisters.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Tue 7 May 08:46

Agreed OzPar... Don't dislike the idea in principle, but putting two mini-me’s straight into the championship can GTF!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:15

league 1 and 2 teams already rejected the colt team idea....sorry the Old Firm colts, so now they offer it to the championship teams, can GTF I agree!

increase to 44 games? no thanks!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:31

Isn't the suggestion that the colts' teams enter League 2 rather than that they should be parachuted straight into the Championship? It's still not acceptable though.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:38

I don't see why it is not acceptable. If rangers and celtic go to a european league i wouldnt mind them having colts teams in the domestic league. I would imagine the colts teams would be competitive at championship or even prem level but not as dominant. .

Looking at the difference in the size of these clubs to any other, it actually makes sense to me.
They would need to start at the bottom though.

Post Edited (Tue 07 May 09:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:39

"BBC are reporting the SPFL are in urgent talks to increase the Scottish Championship to 12 clubs."

Is this Falkirk about to benefit from a "get out of jail card" to avoid relegation - like they did when the original Airdrie went bust some years ago ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:41

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 7 May 09:39

"BBC are reporting the SPFL are in urgent talks to increase the Scottish Championship to 12 clubs."

Is this Falkirk about to benefit from a "get out of jail card" to avoid relegation - like they did when the original Airdrie went bust some years ago ?

Falkirk also missed out on promotion twice I think due to ground regulations. They were due a break.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:43

Any changes wouldn't be effective until 2020/21.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 7 May 09:54

Think it will be very different next season, Ayr are losing Smith,Rose and Shankland, heavy cost cutting rumoured at Morton and QoS. ICT losing key players.
I expect Dundee Utd and Thistle to mount strong challenges next season with Ayr and ICT fading compared to this season.Dundee will probably find the adjustment difficult but should finish in top 4.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 10:17

"Falkirk also missed out on promotion twice I think due to ground regulations. They were due a break."

They did absolutely NOTHING (except an occasional lick of paint) to maintain, let alone improve, Brockville over MANY years until it was grossly unfit for purpose, including sections of terracing which became dangerous and had to be cordoned off - and the "toilets" were disgusting latrines.

Meanwhile other clubs (DAFC for example) spent considerable amounts on having their stadia improved, funds that otherwise could have gone towards strengthening player squads etc.

Falkirk knew what was required but elected not to make any meaningful ground improvements - they reaped what they sowed.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 10:27

"I expect Dundee Utd and Thistle to mount strong challenges next season with Ayr and ICT fading compared to this season."

That's assuming none of the three are capable of winning promotion.

I reckon Dundee United have a 50/50 chance of making it, if they can get the better of the other two.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 10:37

Yep. I can still smell the toilet troughs at Brockville.

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:27

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 7 May 10:17

"Falkirk also missed out on promotion twice I think due to ground regulations. They were due a break."

They did absolutely NOTHING (except an occasional lick of paint) to maintain, let alone improve, Brockville over MANY years until it was grossly unfit for purpose, including sections of terracing which became dangerous and had to be cordoned off - and the "toilets" were disgusting latrines.

Meanwhile other clubs (DAFC for example) spent considerable amounts on having their stadia improved, funds that otherwise could have gone towards strengthening player squads etc.

Falkirk knew what was required but elected not to make any meaningful ground improvements - they reaped what they sowed.

Are you actually saying that with a straight fsce???????

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pibroch  
Date:   Tue 7 May 11:49

The 12 team format might work the same way as the Premiership ...a split after 33 games into 2 groups of 6
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 12:44

I was thinking that too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Tue 7 May 18:43

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 7 May 09:41
Quote:

Falkirk also missed out on promotion twice I think due to ground regulations. They were due a break.

Ooft. Wash your beak out!

Post Edited (Tue 07 May 18:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 22:52

Having had to endure Brockville for over 40 years before it became a supermarket - is that a serious question ?

Post Edited (Tue 07 May 22:55)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 May 23:18

Quote:

veteraneastender, Tue 7 May 22:52

Having had to endure Brockville for over 40 years before it became a supermarket - is that a serious question ?

Would we have been able to build a qualifying stadium with straight cash?
Our dodgy bank chum saved us with dodgy money or we might never have been promoted either.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Wed 8 May 05:27

East End Park when it still had terracing was a million miles away from old crumbling Brockville - we actually spent quite a bit of money on it over the 3 years prior to the all seater rule being brought in.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 8 May 08:57

"Would we have been able to build a qualifying stadium with straight cash?
Our dodgy bank chum saved us with dodgy money or we might never have been promoted either."

DAFC startred improving EEP from the very early 1960s onwards so that the basis of a decent stadium was in place lomg before the era you refer to - meanwhile Falkirk let Brockville deteriorate year after year until they were left with a ground that wasn't fit for the lower leagues, let alone the top tier.

If Morrisons hadn't have come along FFC would have been in an even bigger mess than they had already managed to self inflict.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: