DAFC.net
Home 21 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Cost saving idea/suggestion
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Wed 8 May 15:24

I know we have an award winning matchday program/magazine - but could we 'digitise' this and charge a subscription of $6-$10 per month during the season and supply the program only in digital format to emails / phones / ipads rather than the physical copies ?

I have no idea how much it costs to print the program and maybe the advertising we sell covers all that for the season but it could be a potential way to save some money ?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Cost saving idea/suggestion
Topic Originator: CALGARYPAR  
Date:   Wed 8 May 16:38

I don’t see that paying off in that form going digitalmonky, I’d expect there is a lot of impulse purchases just being at the game and having a hard copy available.

However. As an expat, I would be interested in subscribing to a digital version and I’m sure others would too
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 8 May 16:41

Do both? If sales of paper version drop as people sign up then print less?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Wed 8 May 16:54

I’m sure there would be people who do not attend games who would purchase a digital version

Hard copy in matchday though still

Would also make it more attractive to advertisers?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:16

I would imagine it would already be available as a digital copy as thats how it would be put together these days. Surely not much work to make it available for a fee. I'm sure our Pars around the world would buy a copy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:02

Guessing that £2 extra on a ticket would stop the walk ups from buying a programme and spending that money on a pie etc.

Just sitting here drenched in my own negativity!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:04

Some fans just like the novelty of picking up a physical programme to read pre-match.

Collectors another example.

It's like books in general some prefer paperbacks to kindle.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:31

What about away fans? Did anyone manage to get a digital programme St Queens Park in the cup last season?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: I-Know-The-Script  
Date:   Wed 8 May 23:20

Inverness, Livi and Queens Park all produce digital programmes which are available online for free.

As a collector it is a shame to see it going that way. If clubs want to do that then I think they should also make a print version also available.

Ross County have scrapped their programme altogether.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlfonzoBonzo  
Date:   Wed 8 May 23:24

What happens if the digital programs sell out? Same problem

Show us yer....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 9 May 11:18

Cant see the sense in giving away for free. Even the expat market will generate a few sales, I would suggest.

Milos your next app! ;)

These guys already do it.

http://www.matchdaydigital.co.uk/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Thu 9 May 11:24

In this age of modern communications; I am surprised that we cannot be charged to watch an away match through Pars TV with the Home Club receiving half the income raised.

Even more ambitiously ,being able to watch an away match live on screens at the Odeon Cinema.

As a kid ,watching us at West Brom,on a screen at East End ,I thought that day was imminent.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Thu 9 May 11:51

Quote:

AlfonzoBonzo, Wed 8 May 23:24

What happens if the digital programs sell out? Same problem

^^^ Hillarious

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Thu 9 May 13:44

Who buys programmes apart from auld duffers?

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 9 May 14:34

Would a monthly subscription not be a great be the best plan? Where people can not only read the current weeks program but has a database to access previous ones. All the programs since printing became digital must be easily available to add to this database, then overtime older ones could be scanned added, say adding a year at a time.
Personally I stopped buying programs a few years ago, as you never have time to read them at a game and by the time you get them home they look like they have spent a term in a kids school bag. However I would use a service like this as it would, give me a greater selection of articles to read etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 9 May 14:47

Is there a programme subscription service for people who can't attend games but want a hard copy?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 9 May 22:22

"Who buys programmes apart from auld duffers?"

Perhaps those who think the programme is out of date are themselves out of date? No longer is the programme just a list of those players you might expect to see playing, it is now more of a fortnightly magazine with articles on a number of football-related topics. I may be wrong, but did the DAFC programme not win an award recently as the best in the Championship?

Everyone has to make up his/her mind if it is worth the money, but don't condemn it unless you've tried it!

I don't know if it is financially beneficial or otherwise to DAFC, but I suspect that the advertising revenue goes a long way to meeting production costs - whether that would still be the case with a digital version I'm not so sure, and if the print run were to drop they may be even less willing to pay the current rates.

Bear in mind (for those who want to get a digital programme for free) that a serious amount of work goes into each programme's production - all done for no reward by volunteers, presumably because they think it benefits the club's image with sponsors, other clubs etc as well as being a keepsake for fans. Again, would they happy to do all that work for a free digital version? I don't know.

You could always raise it at the Supporters' Council meeting next Thursday, and maybe get a definitive answer from those involved.

Support Pars United (costs you nothing) when you shop online with 3100 retailers and insurance firms etc, including Argos, Amazon, John Lewis, Tesco, LV=, O2 etc.
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/parsalive
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 9 May 22:59

Stanza, I don’t think the idea was ever that? The idea was to produce a digital version as well as a physical one, the additional cost would be zero as the program is produced in a digital firm for publishing.
This digital form could then be used to produce additional revenue, subscription / single purchase etc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StuPar82  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:12

Quote:

DulochConvert, Thu 09 May 22:59

Stanza, I don’t think the idea was ever that? The idea was to produce a digital version as well as a physical one, the additional cost would be zero as the program is produced in a digital firm for publishing.
This digital form could then be used to produce additional revenue, subscription / single purchase etc

It’s certainly worth taking to the supporters’ council and great people are thinking of additional revenue avenues.

I suspect the volumes we are dealing with may be too be too small to make it economically feasible, given there will be costs to distribute / merchants fees etc. However it might be something to consider making publicly available anyway for our overseas or elderly supporters unable to make the games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 07:04

I think the Board should consider tiered admission eg Grade A for Dundee Grade C for Arbroath.

The bottom line is that the cohort of fans aged 61 thru 64 are NOT going to pay £20 Walk Up when last season was £12

Don't doubt the size of that group.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: