DAFC.net
Home 21 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Why do folks "support" teams outside Scotland
Topic Originator: Jbob  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:12

Let's make this a positive thread- not having a go at folks. I am sure some will have a story to tell.

In England I support Newcastle and go a couple of times a season- saw them as a lad and was inspired by Bobby Moncur back in the late 60's.

In Europe I like to see one of the underdogs beating Madrid (either one) and Barca. No reason particularly.

Bobs of the world unite
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Why do folks "support" teams outside Scotland
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:16

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:18

First English team I ever saw oan the telly was Liverpool.
That's it... Sorry its dull.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:24

I have liked Ajax because I met Marco Van Basten at the 1992 Euro Championships in Sweden and I like the football they play. I have been to their stadium and was able to watch a training session there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:30

Got into Liverpool late 70's mainly due to their Scottish connection and style of play.
Moved to Dortmund so support the local team was required. :)

If you only turn up to moan then do it elsewhere

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 19:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eric par  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:32

Juventus, Newcastle, Notts County, Grimsby. There's a theme going on here!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:35

Watched Premier Passions in the late 90s all about Sunderland. Followed them ever since.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mon-pa  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:43

Brentford

ARTY
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:51

Born in Birmingham and moved up here when I was 5 - the Blues will always be my number 1 English team.

I have to own up to a liking for Man Utd as well though - ever since they signed Martin Buchan in 1972. My father was an Aberdeen fan and Buchan his favourite player.

Needless to say I didn’t enjoy last night’s game - although i’ll grudgingly applaud the 4th goal - and i’d love to see the Pars with a manager with the passion of Klopp (and the passion of the Liverpool players for that matter).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:53

Cardiff City due to family reasons.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsloyal98  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:54

Manchester United - the copious Pars links & because of my step-dad

Inter - Grandparents holiday in Italy and always brought kits back for me when I was younger, I liked Inter’s most and that’s where that began. Been at 3 Inter games including a Milan derby in the past 18 months.

We love Dunfermline We do!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Wed 8 May 19:58

Maritzburg United - my local Premier Soccer League team here in South Africa (although they are trying to avoid relegation from the top flight on the last day of the season). Great value for money and nice atmosphere at games.

Have a soft spot for Kaiser Chiefs having been allowed to take part in a training session of theirs in my first week in South Africa in 1980 (until they started practicing moves).

Watch out for Sunderland results as one of my running friends locally is a "black cat" who keeps an eye out for Pars results.

Cambridge United as I watched them a few times in the late 1970s
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Wed 8 May 20:01

Difference between support,give money,and like.I like Man Utd,Liverpool,Newcastle and Plymouth.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Wed 8 May 20:04

Agreed. I've seen Cardiff 8 times this season but would only class myself as a Pars supporter. I like them but don't go often enough to say I support them.

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 20:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cmonpar  
Date:   Wed 8 May 20:28

Same as apps, apart from the Dortmund bit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Wed 8 May 20:35

Fulham. Was a ST holder for a few years.
Living around London didn’t want to support the usual suspects and they played in B&W.

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 20:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bournetobeapar  
Date:   Wed 8 May 20:45

I follow the trials and tribulations of Newcastle United, my late father was a fan of theirs and his side of the family are from the north east.

Never steal; the govermnent hates competition
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:04

Everton - purely for following Big Dunc in the mid/late 90s and I have liked them from there.
Soft spots for Leyton Orient and Sunderland and always like to see them doing well. Real clubs with proper passionate fans.
Inter Milan are another team I like.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Wed 08 May 21:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sabre74  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:20

York City and Newcastle Utd

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Wed 8 May 21:23

My dad was a Man City fan so picked up City from him.

Lived in the Netherlands for a bit and have always tried to watch a local side (hence us) and used to make my dad take me to watch Roda JC.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: QPR_Par  
Date:   Thu 9 May 18:49

I lived down south for a number of years, my first job there I worked beside a few QPR fans and drank with another outside work. They took me to Loftus Road, really enjoyed the atmosphere so they became my adopted team.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Thu 9 May 19:18

No one team outside Scotland peaks my interest but the xenophobe in me sees me support any team north of the Watford Gap when they are playing any team from Dan Sath

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Thu 9 May 19:23

Apollon, started going to see them when based in Cyprus with the RAF.

Went to a couple of away games in Europe the season before last when they played Aberdeen and Everton.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Thu 9 May 21:21

Man Utd went to watch them play east fife in a testimonial at old bayview when I was wee and was blown away by how good the class of 92 where even at that time and of course Sir Alex being the gaffer at the time as well

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Thu 9 May 21:48

Went to see Barcelona playing at Levante three years ago. Was so impressed with Levante's fighting spirit though I've followed their fortunes since. And their away kit is black and white stripes 😁

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 9 May 22:02

Best friend is a huge Sheff Wed fan despite no geographical or family ties to them, bit of a weird one.

Been to numerous games with him over the years including the playoff finals in Cardiff a good few years ago now when they had a cracking team under Paul Sturrock.

Try get down at least once a season but gets trickier as we get older now with families of our own.

Besides that always liked Sampdoria; the iconic kit from early 90's was the first foreign top i ever had after grandparents brought me it back from holiday and followed them ever since.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Thu 09 May 22:03)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 9 May 22:17

Colchester United. Still living the dream of beating Leeds in the FA Cup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Thu 9 May 22:26

For the opposite reason I am a Pars man (the old man never really gave me a choice thankfully) He was Liverpool daft and also expected me to follow suit (this was the early 80's onwards) I decided to rebel with the complete antithesis of his beloved Liverpool and his most hated of teams.....Arsenal. For younger viewers i'm not talking about the slick, total football Arsenal of the modern era. It was the blood and thunder, boring as hell, hard drinking 1-0 team that were patchy at best. I was rewarded 30 years ago when they won the league at Anfield and during the Invincibles era with some of the best football I've ever seen.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:12

I played for the Glasgow youth team Possil YM who were a nursery team of Arsenal and at the age of 16 spent two weeks with them in London. We were introduced to the manager Bertie Mee and some of the players. One of our players Alex Forsyth signed for Arsenal at that time. We watched Arsenal play Liverpool on the first Saturday at Highbury and played a couple of games against the Arsenal youth team. Therefore I like Arsenal but also Liverpool and Crystal Palace and any other team that has Scottish players or managers.

Post Edited (Thu 09 May 23:13)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Fri 10 May 09:11

genuinley bemuses me when people are stubborn and say they don't watch other clubs. As this week showed football is more exciting and dramatic than any soap opera and the diversity of the world means that football is enjoyed by regions regions and celebrated/enjoyed in so many ways.

Portsmouth, the atmosphere and the fans are simply incredible. Whether bottom of prem, top of prem, winning FA cup, relegation to championship, league 1, league 2 and then bottom of league 2. Administrations, points deductions, europe, wembley, takeovers by people who dont actually exist, fan take overs, take over by disney billionaires. Its never "dull" but the passion of the fans never fades.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Granthamspar  
Date:   Sat 11 May 13:14

Dunfermline will always be my team above any other, but I occasionally watch the mighty Grantham Town and Notts County. They both play in black and white and are generally crap at football.....so it’s just like supporting the Pars.

Ross Smith
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sat 11 May 21:24

A workmate of mine was a Darlington supporter. He told me that they built a 20000 all seater stadium and it put them out the game. Madness
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sat 11 May 21:40

Leeds,

As a boy growing up in the early 70's they were packed with scottish Internationals and I got the smiley kit as a birthday present, hooked ever since.
First result I look for after I've been at pars game.

Get down a couple of times a season for midweek fixtures if the pars don't have a game.

Probably the same as most people my age who adopted an English team to make it more interesting when watching highlights.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TurinPar  
Date:   Sat 11 May 22:29

The mighty Leeds United, grew up in Yorkshire with other Scots and followed a team that was filled with talent.
And of course Torino, I am not a glory hunter!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Sat 11 May 22:51

I remember watching Dortmund in 94 with Paul Lambert and my auld man telling me that I should support them because he played for them. German flatmate in Aberdeen was from the area and a big BVB fan. I lived there myself a bit later so that became cemented.

Malmö FF are my local team in here in Sweden and a bunch of my pals support them.

The mrs is Japanese and a bit daft about Gamba Osaka so they became my Japanese team too!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 11 May 23:09

Man U for the Fergie/Moyes connection and their style of football under Fergie.

Follow Malaga too and have fallen in love with Youtube and the Spanish football coverage they have
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 12 May 00:07

We all have dislikes but any team outside Scotland always interests me. Read the book "The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro" it plays out life in rural Italy and the luck taking a chance can give, may end up going to watch the current team who changed name and are in lower leagues of Italy. I on the other hand cannot watch any team other than the Pars in Scotland, tried it just does nothing for me. Outside Scotland been to watch Newcastle, Manchester City and Dunston. Very good experiences. Hope to take Grandsons to Barcelona, Madrid or Milan to watch a match. 3 years ago tried to get into a Palermo Seria A game, failed due to pre registered ticket sales system. Will try again in 2020 as I liked what I saw and Palermo are now lower league. The story of how they got the pink/black strip is brilliant, they never intended to play in those colours.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Sun 12 May 05:35

Sliema Wanderers:I lived in Malta for years and still go their annually.I have sat in the sun in Malta watching Pars TV coming superbly from eg Stenhousemuir.They have just come a disappointing fifth.

My English team is Portsmouth due to Family connections ,and PlayUp Pompey explains why.

However, there is a difference between the words 'Supporter" and "Fan".

I am a fan of these two ,and do see them each season ,but I am a Supporter of the mighty Pars.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 12 May 07:48

Quote:

Pars11, Sun 12 May 00:07

We all have dislikes but any team outside Scotland always interests me. Read the book "The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro" it plays out life in rural Italy and the luck taking a chance can give, may end up going to watch the current team who changed name and are in lower leagues of Italy. I on the other hand cannot watch any team other than the Pars in Scotland, tried it just does nothing for me. Outside Scotland been to watch Newcastle, Manchester City and Dunston. Very good experiences. Hope to take Grandsons to Barcelona, Madrid or Milan to watch a match. 3 years ago tried to get into a Palermo Seria A game, failed due to pre registered ticket sales system. Will try again in 2020 as I liked what I saw and Palermo are now lower league. The story of how they got the pink/black strip is brilliant, they never intended to play in those colours.

How they got the pink strips is interesting. An email in 1905, well ahead of their time.
https://aroundthepeninsula.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/palermos-famous-colours/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 12 May 08:34

Not an avid fan by any means, but have a soft spot for Portsmouth . Went to see them a few times when I was in the RN and like to see them do well .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: