DAFC.net
Home 26 May 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Moving on
Topic Originator: Gregshawsgranny  
Date:   Thu 9 May 07:24

Going past all the other issues at play and problems the club needs to sort out for now. What do we need for next season in terms of a player? I understand the chairman managing expectations around the playing budget, and rightly so.

However, being a nostalgic sort of guy, what did the last 3 squads that took us into the premier league have? Answer - in my opinion - at least 1 solid, hard, give it everything player, particularly in the midfield. Above all else we need at least a couple of older heads, to help the “young hungry” players that are recruited.

1995/96 - Robbo, Smudger, Ivo, - hell the whole team were fighters and legends.

1999/2000 - Fergie - brought in and revolutionised the team - was the driving force toward promotion.

2010/11 - Martin Hardie - came in and won us the league.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Moving on
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 9 May 07:35

Agreed a BMMMH player is what is required to install some steel into our squad
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 9 May 12:03

Older experienced pro’s set the standards whether through saying it or the doing it in training or on the park. You think the players upped their game and prep etc when Dobbie went into queens? This is exactly what fergie did too, set the standard.

It would have been unacceptable in those teams to go into a tackle half heartedly or to pull out of it and the other 10 on the park would have let you know and it wouldn’t happen again. This season we have seen boys shirk the physical aspects and nothing has been said.

I know we don’t have the budget but we absolutely need and experienced centre back or midfeilder who is coming down from a higher level, they may have lost the pace but the brain still gets them though.

Just sitting here drenched in my own positivity! AJ is gone!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 9 May 13:47

Owen Coyle was hugely influential in that early 2000s side.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Thu 9 May 15:22

You know we just might have well missed out with the Willo Flood signing last summer. Laughed at it at the time but he may have well have been the Player that actual gave a F'#k in a team that needed it

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Thu 9 May 16:36

At the time I was gutted about Flood

He could have been the only real quality player in our side, but that said and in retrospect, I don't think one top player could have carried the other sad sacks through the season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Thu 9 May 17:03

Quote:

mach1, Thu 9 May 16:36

At the time I was gutted about Flood

He could have been the only real quality player in our side, but that said and in retrospect, I don't think one top player could have carried the other sad sacks through the season.

Me too! but I think he would've organised the team well.

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParsPryde  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:26

Been saying for a number of years that I thought we were missing the "colossus" in midfield who would boss the game.

The type of Guy who could be 5 foot but his attitude makes him 7 ft.
The guy who sees that we are struggling to control a game, so puts his foot down, lifts his head and raises the boys around him to push on and win the game.

I wonder if we, instead of Partick, had managed to get MacDonald, if our season would have ended on a high note. I always thought he would make a cracking Pars midfield general.

Unfortunately these guys are few and far between and EVERY team is looking for them. Here's hoping our management team and their pals/connections manage to persuade one to come next season.

Now that we have cleared the decks (mostly) I am now awaiting the news of people signing up for Pars next season. Hoping the names invoke excitement again at going to the matches. Fingers Crossed.

==============
Have your say, Join the PST Today

Proud to be a Par

"If you don't want to wear the jersey, stay in the dressing room": Norrie McCathie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigDaddyM  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:10

Here's hoping the craw and co find a player with a Roy Keane kind of quality about them. Someone that'll lead by example and demand nothing less than 100%.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: polski par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:26

we also need a target man who can hold the ball up and bring others in to play.all of the teams in the play offs have one
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end