DAFC.net
Home 21 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 London Clubs
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:20

Incredible to have 3 London clubs in the finals of the 2 top European competitions of Europe. If Tottenham win then I am wondering if there has ever been a case where a single City/town has won two European competitions in the same year. Anyone good at pub quizzes? This includes new and old competitions in Europe.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: London Clubs
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:34

It's not happened since last year...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:40

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 09 May 23:34

It's not happened since last year...

Haha.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 9 May 23:46

This amused me far more than it should have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hummingbird Harry  
Date:   Fri 10 May 00:15

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 10 May 00:35

London is really the football capital of Europe. No other City can boast the number of top clubs that London can.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 10 May 06:34

Quote:

parsmad68, Thu 9 May 23:20

Incredible to have 3 London clubs in the finals of the 2 top European competitions of Europe. If Tottenham win then I am wondering if there has ever been a case where a single City/town has won two European competitions in the same year. Anyone good at pub quizzes? This includes new and old competitions in Europe.

It nearly happened in 1967.........☺

Did Real and Atletico not win the CL and EL/UEFA Cup in the same year, not so long ago?

Most cities only have one or two clubs, London's chances of doing this are far greater since they have Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs who are quite big in European terms and even West Ham can boast a ECWC win.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 10 May 07:24

I feel sorry for them... If I supported one of those clubs and we got to a euro final, the last folk is want to play is my next door neighbour... I'd want a top foreign team, not some mob I see all the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 10 May 07:45

Quote:

DBP, Fri 10 May 07:24

I feel sorry for them... If I supported one of those clubs and we got to a euro final, the last folk is want to play is my next door neighbour... I'd want a top foreign team, not some mob I see all the time.

Should be an interesting game in that Arsenal will be desperate to win, since that will let them into next season's champions league. It'll be interesting to see if the betting odds reflect this.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sintv  
Date:   Fri 10 May 08:23

Apparently no direct flights to Baku and taking about 50hrs to drive there. Isn't there a case for not deciding the final venue at the semifinals stage to make it easier for fans to be there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Fri 10 May 08:26

Yeah but that would require a bit of common sense... Something that seems to be in short supply.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Fri 10 May 09:36

Baku = ££££

Easy choice for UEFA. Logistics and fans don't come into it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 10 May 09:54

Might be a blessing in disguise as the indirect flights to Baku look about half the price of the flights to Madrid that went through the roof as soon as Liverpool and Spurs were confirmed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:14

Nice to see how these Cockneys have developed as players. 😎😜
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:15

I see that Chelsea and Arsenal are only being allocated 6,000 tickets each for the final. The stadium holds 68,700. That seems grossly unfair.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:23

A win by Liverpool would nicely put a stop to this thread!

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:46

Two Glasgow clubs reached the finals of the two major Euro Cups in 1967.

21 Scotsmen on the pitch and two Scots managers.

Have yon Sassenachs ever managed that level of home grown achievement?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 10 May 17:17

"21 Scotsmen on the pitch and two Scots managers."

Including former Pars great Alex Smith.

Lisbon 1967 was Berie Auld's second appearance in a European competition final.

Incidentally, talking of Spurs - they were the first British club to win any of the "Big Three" European trophies back in 1963 when they beat Atletico Madrid.

Interesting trivia from that final - both teams had wingers named Jones - Spurs' was Welsh and Atletico's was born in Equatorial Guinea (then a Spanish possession) and grew up in Bilbao.

I need to get a life - according to 'er indoors !!!

Post Edited (Fri 10 May 17:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 20:38

I should add that it’s utterly inexcusable for Baku to host the final when one of the players due to play can’t travel there due to concerns over his safety (if he’s even allowed in).
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 10 May 20:57

Is Baku in Europe?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Fri 10 May 21:15

No.
Azerbaijan is in Asia, but lines are muddied often these days.

Most of Turkey is in Asia, same with Russia, but both play in European tournaments.

Israel and Georgia as well I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 10 May 21:26

Two teams from the same country were in the final of the uefa cup in Glasgow about 10 years ago. It was Flamenco time in George Square.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 10 May 21:31

Security is never much of a problem for countries that were part of the USSR. The Arsenal player might not feel welcome but I am would be amazed if he came to any harm. Similar to Neil Lennon turning out at Ibrox.

We won't need VAR if the officials are from Azerbaijan for the most famous linesman in history- the one who awarded Geoff Hurst a goal in 1966- came from that area.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 21:43

"Security is never much of a problem for countries that were part of the USSR. The Arsenal player might not feel welcome but I am would be amazed if he came to any harm. Similar to Neil Lennon turning out at Ibrox."

I thought that too, until I read about the case of Ramil Safarov.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kintos  
Date:   Fri 10 May 23:57

The North Eastern part of Azerbaijan (Quba region) is "geographically" in "Europe" in that it is North of the Caucasus mountains and West of the Urals. (which is apparently the boundaries of Europe) Turkey is "European" in that Western Istanbul and the small landmass west of the Bosphurus is in Europe. Georgia falls into this same category as" technically" some of it is North of the Caucasus mountain boundary. Geographically Israel and Armenia are completely Asian/Middle Eastern so look to the political exemption/inclusion there.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 00:17

Bandy,

What an ugly murder and the full filth of international politics was used to push it to the side, despite the major powers condemning what had been done.

The nearest we have to that type of murder is from Belfast around the 1970s, when Lennie Murphy and his gang were carrying out sectarian killings, but the massive difference is that neither Ian Paisley nor Jim Craig, elected politicians, ever sanctioned what was done in the name of Murphy’s perverted loyalism. That does not mean they were opposed to what was done, but they never ever offered vocal support for the perpetrators. It might be possible to draw a parallel with the Birmingham bomber, Mick Murray, who served a 10 year sentence in the UK and was then welcomed back as a hero by IRA members in Eire.

Depressing stuff and thanks for the education. However when the eyes of the world are on Russia and the former USSR states they usually err on the side of safety. Remember all that scaremongering before last year’s world cup about hooliganism: it came to naught.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 00:33

I had never heard of that incident Bandy. I actually hope Mkhitaryan decides to not even travel to Azerbaijan so that more people may be prompted to learn about the hero reception this killer got in Baku. It makes you wonder about the mind set of people who would turn out to greet such a person with adulation.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 00:57

It shouldn't really. A man who kills in support of government policy is given a medal. That's the way it's always been.
We couldn't start the next war otherwise.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 07:37

Nah there is a big difference between a man sneaking into a bedroom and battering a sleeping man with the sharp end of an axe until his head is almost off and a squaddie engaged in killing while in a war zone.
I would like to think but I'm by no means confident that the average Azerbaijani would be repulsed by the actions of this 'national hero'. Perhaps they weren't educated with the full facts of what he had done.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: