DAFC.net
Home 21 August 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 When I'm 64!
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 10:25

This aspect is straddling so many Threads now.

I hereby call upon the Board to urgently review the decision to increase the Walk Up price for the cohort in the age group 60-64.

These are fans who were part of the Halcyon days and stayed!

They cannot go from £12 Walk Up to £20 without the predictable result.

The four folk, I attend with ,all say they will cherry pick games ie Dundee not Alloa.

I am a Season Ticket holder and not 60-64 so this is not for my benefit.

This is my question for the Supporters' Council.

There are many local folk who cannot afford a Season Ticket,however attractively priced they are.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: When I'm 64!
Topic Originator: Frank Butchers LoveHandles  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:02

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 10 May 10:25

This aspect is straddling so many Threads now.

I hereby call upon the Board to urgently review the decision to increase the Walk Up price for the cohort in the age group 60-64.

These are fans who were part of the Halcyon days and stayed!

They cannot go from £12 Walk Up to £20 without the predictable result.

The four folk, I attend with ,all say they will cherry pick games ie Dundee not Alloa.

I am a Season Ticket holder and not 60-64 so this is not for my benefit.

This is my question for the Supporters' Council.

There are many local folk who cannot afford a Season Ticket,however attractively priced they are.

Why should that age group be paying significantly less that someone in their 20s or 30s for example? I would hazard a guess that the 60-64 age bracket will be alot more well off than the vast majority of our supporters too. Certainly get the over 65 discount but we are shooting ourselves in the foot giving a needless discount to an age group that doesn't require it imo.

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cumbrian par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:36

I’m 61 and I DON’T think prices should be discounted for people my age. I’m retired and my only income is my work pension but I’m sure I’m better off than many people below 60.

Obviously, everyone’s circumstances are different, but I think scrapping the discount on the walk up price is sensible.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 11:39

The point is the leap from £12 to £20.

It is obvious what the outcome will be.

For many people that is a bridge too far.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Mario  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:01

I will be six years older than that next month.

The penalty of being braw like what I am is the disbelief of the lassies in the ticket office when I ask for my concession....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:28

Whenever something someone has received is later taken away, this always causes disquiet, as does an anticipated long standing discount removed just before someone is expecting to benefit from it

Pensionable age was always 65 in times past as were the parallel benefits offered by other organisations, where & how concessions starting at 60 came about is a mystery to me but now that’s in place it is gonna difficult to change. There are many concessions out there still not triggered till 65, the biggest is the State Pension which is now 67 (b******s) & set to increase to 68

Free Bus Pass at 60 years old is the biggest 60+ benefit & let’s see that change without uproar!..... it of course (by law) just might!

I wonder what the PATG demographics are ie what % of adult fans fall into the 60-64 year old age bracket & what (on previous years figures) this would increase the coffers of DAFC by ....... bearing in mind that some of the affected age group will choose not to attend some or all of the games in the upcoming season therefore seeing this part of the DAFC income dip

For many in the age bracket 60-64 the answer will be to buy a season ticket which is still concessionary from 60 years old as far as I understand things? but that doesn’t help those that cannot afford to buy one at the start of the season or those that do not/can not attend the vast majority of home games & always do PATG

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:34

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 10 May 11:39

The point is the leap from £12 to £20.

It is obvious what the outcome will be.

For many people that is a bridge too far.

The point is they have been benifitting for years. Now pay the right price. Most 60 year olds are much better off than 30 year olds with kids and mortgages

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:47

As you look around East End on a Saturday you see spikes in certain age groups.

Most noticeable are those now in their sixties who supported the club from the halcyon days in the 1960s and have paid thousands to the club since.

There is a large group who were youngsters in the Jim Leishman era.

Then you have another group brought up during the Jimmy Calderwood era when we had remarkable success.

If the Board does not alter course we will ,unnecessarily ,lose many of that first cohort ,at the very time when we need all the help we can get.

As for "rich Pensioners", a lot of them arrive on a bus with me.Maybe they are rich but eccentric!

You don't get your State Penion at 60-64.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:50

It is not all black and white who can afford what. I am now 76 years old and my Husband is in a Nursing Care Home, now I won't publish it on here what that is costing, but my disposable income has gone down drastically. There could be a good few of the older fans in the same boat, so a difference of £8 could be a lot to some.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:52

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 10 May 12:47

That is the crux of the point.

Can you name one reason why someone at the age of 60 should get a cheaper ticket than someone at 58?

65+ seems like a sensible cut off for concessions.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mach1  
Date:   Fri 10 May 12:55

Just love all the statements getting made with zero statistics to back them up.

I see plenty 30 or so year olds driving BMWs and Mercs these days. Take a look at FEB's car or the one Andy Geggan used to drive when with us.

Too many assumptions being stated as if they were facts.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Perkins  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:08

"Topic Originator: mach1
Date: Fri 10 May 12:55

Just love all the statements getting made with zero statistics to back them up.

I see plenty 30 or so year olds driving BMWs and Mercs these days. Take a look at FEB's car or the one Andy Geggan used to drive when with us."

I don't think two individuals counts as statistics either.

ONS data from 2016 has 55-64 year olds as being the wealthiest in the UK. The club have made a problem for themselves with the size of the increase but I don't see why 60-64 year olds should have a discounted price
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:21

Aside from the Office of National Statistics, where are these statistics?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I was in World War Two they'd call me spitfire
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:25

It should be full price up to 65. If any age group should be getting discount, its that 18-22 year old bracket. The club should be busting a gut to attract Young blokes to the match. Thats our life blood, but it always seems they are the ones getting driven away by the boards sit down, shut up attitude
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:27

2 of our youth team driving Mercs with their own numberplates, how much are they getting paid?

One ex pllayer now, hear he's going to give Lewis Hamilton a challenge this year!!!😡🚀🚀🚀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammy_shuffle  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:36

Probably paying for them through PCP. You don't need to earn that much apparently. As long as your credit history is good. Maybe their parents are doing it for them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dumpster  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:37

I don’t agree with these arbitrary thresholds based on age without any clear rationale. Discounts should surely be based on need so someone in receipt of employment or pension credits, as examples, should be able to benefit from concession prices. As with free bus travel for everyone over 60, tax payers are subsidising a fairly blunt scheme when the investment should be directed to those most in need. But that’s for another day...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:40

"2 of our youth team driving Mercs with their own numberplates, how much are they getting paid?

One ex pllayer now, hear he's going to give Lewis Hamilton a challenge this year!!!😡🚀🚀🚀"

I know who you are talking about but you've no idea where they get the money to fund the car(inheritance/parents etc.) This is unnecessary and reeks of jealousy

Post Edited (Fri 10 May 14:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Fri 10 May 13:48

Get yer hand in yer pockets ya misrable old scroats!

Moneys going to the Club we all have to do our bit.

🔩 ya 🚀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 14:42

It was you gits who voted Brexit. You should be paying double 😁😁😁

Awight Pat!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 10 May 15:03

"Pensionable age was always 65 in times past as were the parallel benefits offered by other organisations, where & how concessions starting at 60 came about is a mystery to me but now that’s in place it is gonna difficult to change."

Incorrect DR.

Women reached pensionable age at 60 until changes in 2011.

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/pensions/retirement-lifestyle/the-cost-changing-womens-state-pension-age-have-women-born-the-1950s

According to Pars folklore (and by her own admission methinks) it was Her Royal Highness Steaua (aka the Blessed Marv) who successfully challenged the club on women having to wait until age 65 for concessions.

So the club reduced the concessionary age to 60 for all.

No mystery.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 15:13

Quote:

Sliema Par, Fri 10 May 12:47

As you look around East End on a Saturday you see spikes in certain age groups.

Most noticeable are those now in their sixties who supported the club from the halcyon days in the 1960s and have paid thousands to the club since.

There is a large group who were youngsters in the Jim Leishman era.

Then you have another group brought up during the Jimmy Calderwood era when we had remarkable success.

If the Board does not alter course we will ,unnecessarily ,lose many of that first cohort ,at the very time when we need all the help we can get.

As for "rich Pensioners", a lot of them arrive on a bus with me.Maybe they are rich but eccentric!

No ...because you are still on a full working wage. If not you are probably entitled to a concession ticket

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:32

"As for "rich Pensioners", a lot of them arrive on a bus with me.Maybe they are rich but eccentric!"

Nothing eccentric about using the national concessionary bus pass which you can claim at age 60, regardless of retirement or financial status.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars_andy  
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:35

A smarter approach would have been to gradually increase the concession age over a 5 year period. Then nobody would have been a position where they moved from having a concession to not having one.

==================================
"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:37

Imagine using professional footballers as an example of a 20-30yr olds ability to make money...crazy. Absolutely no reason a 60-64 year old should pay less than someone my age.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 16:45

"A smarter approach would have been to gradually increase the concession age over a 5 year period."

Exactly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Fri 10 May 17:07

"As for "rich Pensioners", a lot of them arrive on a bus with me.Maybe they are rich but eccentric!"

Probably cause they can afford a few pints in Legends before the game getting in so cheap - no point driving if they're having a bevvy subsidised by the club letting them in for peanuts

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Fri 10 May 17:18

Maybe the pensioners worked all their lives and put into the all that time, and paid for the free buss passes, plus if they have supported the Pars for 50 years +
perhaps the concessions a wee reward for their loyalty for all those years.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 17:20

Well said Marv.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 10 May 17:50

It's a bit sad that this thread is turning into a disagreement between fans over what age entitlements people should get, not just at football matches, but in general.

I am retired and in my late 60s, so the increases will not affect me one bit for now, but I would happily give my concessionary allowance up if it could be transferred to a low paid, or unemployed 30 year old, who might struggle to get to games otherwise.

This has all become a distraction from the fact that the club are skint and desperate to save on expenditure with a lower budget and want to increase income by putting up prices.

It is clear that we are struggling to get by despite our good attendances, season ticket sales and other income streams such as the centenary lifeline and other welcome contributions such as the shops and the bars, amongst others.

We desperately need a better season than the one just gone to avoid part time existence or worse, unless we can find and/or allow other major contributors.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 10 May 18:29

Mach 1, I bought into the Golden ticket scheme because although I only get my works pension, come January, I will start to get my OAP so come then my ticket will be more affordable.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 10 May 18:32

'This has all become a distraction from the fact that the club are skint and desperate to save on expenditure with a lower budget and want to increase income by putting up prices.'

Indeed; not much evidence of the Pars community all pulling together which I read about on the club website a few hours ago. This whole focus on concessionary tickets and the suggestion of fans defrauding the system is allowing the major problem of the club's financial weaknesses, and why they exist, to be pushed to the side.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 10 May 19:03

It's the same people complaining again. Why don't you experts (Marv excepted) put your names forward and give up your free time for nothing and run the club. Oh aye mind your pots of cash we need it badly.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ReturningParsFan  
Date:   Fri 10 May 19:43

Speaking as someone who has taken advantage of the very generous Over 60 reduction these past 3 seasons, I am not especially upset by the Board decision. It's been an awful season, no doubt, but I continue to have complete faith in the decisions made by the BoD.

I don't go to enough home games to make a season ticket purchase worthwhile, and I am perfectly happy to pay £22 a game next season for a fantastic view from the centre main stand. If only the standard of football could improve ...

Without wanting to get into a political argument, I think the Over 60s are well looked after (although I completely get the WASPI movement). I can easily offset the £8 increase by using my free bus pass to get to EEP rather than my car ...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Fri 10 May 20:04

There’s a difference between criticism and asking questions about how DAFC can progress in future. When a team with the second highest support in its division ends up narrowly escaping relegation, and when it’s running at a loss, then it’s obvious that questions have to be asked.

I’ve been impressed with the thoughtful contributions offered by many on here, asking questions they think are pertinent. There is no better time to do so, to take stock once the season has ended without undermining efforts on and off the pitch. I hope that all of the opinions expressed here will be addressed at the SC meeting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Fri 10 May 23:57

Steaua, I agree with you.Having supported the pars since 66,is it not too much to give us veteran supporters a wee discount.From 12 quid to 20 is a big hit to me. I'll pick my games from now on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Sat 11 May 00:11

So a 60 year old going to his first game this season should get a discount & myself being 28 & been attending games since I can remember shouldn’t... you can twist it to fit any narrative. They’ve made the decision, it’s not going to change.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Sat 11 May 00:14

Not saying first game this season.Saying going since 66.Big difference. Loyalty.Bit unreasonable, to think about guy in his 60 s would go to watch pars for first time.Come on !

Post Edited (Sat 11 May 00:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 11 May 02:58

It was the choice of many who retired at the age of 60 to take early retirement as they had worked out they could afford to do so

It will also be their choice as to whether or not they wish to continue to go watch the Pars at any increased cost

Life is all about choices, some are made with the head & some with the heart

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sat 11 May 07:11

I am shocked at the amount of people having a moan about something that is clearly meant to save the club money but while we are on a subject like this we must be the only team in the league other than Morton who don’t have a disabled + carer walk up price that is where the real discount should be given

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Sat 11 May 07:29

We do have a disabled and carer concession price.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars_andy  
Date:   Sat 11 May 07:31

“I am shocked at the amount of people having a moan about something that is clearly meant to save the club money”

Should that not read...

“I am shocked at the amount of people having a moan about something that is clearly meant to take more money from the fans”

==================================
"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick

Post Edited (Sat 11 May 07:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 08:08

steaua,as usual,hits the nail on the head.

How many thousands have the old and decrepit, like me ,paid into the club every year for five Decades; or even more?

And we buy a programme too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 11 May 09:26

Quote:

Sliema Par, Sat 11 May 08:08

How many thousands have the old and decrepit, like me ,paid into the club every year for five Decades; or even more?

I've been putting into the club for 4 decades, where's ma discount ??
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Sat 11 May 09:33

Quote:

back oh the net, Sat 11 May 07:11

I am shocked at the amount of people having a moan about something that is clearly meant to save the club money but while we are on a subject like this we must be the only team in the league other than Morton who don’t have a disabled + carer walk up price that is where the real discount should be given

That's not true. We have a disabled plus carer ticket.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 11 May 10:35

Quote:

MikeyLeonard, Sat 11 May 09:26

Quote:

I've been putting into the club for 4 decades, where's ma discount ??

Yep, by that logic we should be charging the young fans more as they haven't been going as long. 😉

Post Edited (Sat 11 May 10:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Sat 11 May 12:07

I like yer style elvis 😉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 12:21

elvis lives: That was cheeky!!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 12:36

Quote:

What does all that sentiment have to do with the fact we lost a lot of ground this year and need to address that fact.
Of course loyalty should be rewarded and long term fans deserve much respect for sticking by through tough times.

However. It takes a lot of money to develop and run a football club that aspires to reach the top division (yes with a few notable exceptions - which will most likely be short lived) and the majority of Pars fans expect just that.
If the top level is our target we need money and time to build that team. We either pay what is required or lower our ambitions. Maybe if we reach the top level and stabilise we could look at rewarding long term fans.
Concessions really ought to be about ability to pay rather than age.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 12:45

"Concessions really ought to be about ability to pay rather than age."

So, who's up for means testing then?

I would do it, but many wouldn't.
Careful what you wish for.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 11 May 12:47

Quote:

And we buy a programme

Rubbish. You don't put any credible argument forward for that particular age group paying significantly less entry fee. Buying a Programme? Get real.

Awight Pat!

Post Edited (Sat 11 May 12:47)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: