DAFC.net
Home 26 May 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Squad Update
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Mon 13 May 19:49

Scully and Martin sign for 1 year with Cammy Gill signing on for two.

In the Reserves Paul Allen signs on for an extra with Thomas Bragg joining on a two year deal from Southampton.

https://dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Playing_Squad_Update&ID=11235&fbclid=IwAR1BrSimJ6rZfKTu71q2iZc0Z1GOh1Jk9x3TYW31_Oq9yXh2zLpPJzJaf44

Post Edited (Mon 13 May 19:50)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Squad Update
Topic Originator: thenatural  
Date:   Mon 13 May 19:56

Good start. Great to get keeper positions sorted. Also hoping Martin can put last season’s difficulties behind him and get back to the form he was showing at end of 17/18.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Higgys Mohawk  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:02

Who is Thomas Bragg?

The mowhawk (also referred to as a mohican) is a hairstyle in which, in the most common variety, both sides of the head are shaven, leaving a strip of noticeably longer hair in the centre.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:07

So the board say there’s lack of funds yet sign a player who spent all season out injured, good logic that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: simo  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:13

So just bin a decent player because he was injured all last season. Good logic that.

Hamish French.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parforthecourse  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:16

Quote:

simo, Mon 13 May 20:13

So just bin a decent player because he was injured all last season. Good logic that.

Is he any better than decent though? And is decent enough? Maybe that's all we can afford....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:26

Worrying if you think he’s anywhere near good enough
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  

Quote:

parforthecourse, Mon 13 May 20:16

Quote:

simo, Mon 13 May 20:13

Is he any better than decent though? And is decent enough? Maybe that's all we can afford....

Maybe, just maybe, he fits in with the budget cuts as he doesn’t have high wage demands and feels he has a point to prove this coming season. We also need players to provide cover/competition for places and a decent player on a low wage, capable of playing a couple of positions seems like a good player to have around, no?

Absolutely no problem with Martin providing cover/competition in the full back positions and potentially playing in a back 3. He came through our youth team, is still only 23 and looked good towards the end of 17/18. We need an affordable squad and we would have had a lot of bargaining power in that negotiation - I doubt any other full time team wanted a player who’s been injured for the majority of the past 12 months. I think this is a good piece of business, as I doubt we’d have signed him if the medical staff or coaching staff thought he would have another season like this.

Regarding your “is he any better than decent though?” - we’re a Scottish championship club, decent is the best we’ll get. Who are you expecting us to sign?!

Post Edited (Mon 13 May 20:27)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  

I think thomas bragg is a youth player
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:31

It's interesting that Scully has signed a one-year deal but Gill has signed a two-year deal. He'll be hoping for a chance to establish himself next season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Geordiepar  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:36

Think Thomas Bragg is a defender, looks like he played in the reserve game against Hibs at end of April.

I am glad Martin has been given a deal. Was really good at end of last season and hopefully a good pre season and he can be over the injuries.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 13 May 20:43

Quote:

parsfan97, Mon 13 May 20:26

Worrying if you think he’s anywhere near good enough

Lets just start destroying them now, nothing like getting an early start.
Best fans in the world eh!?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: king lad  
Date:   Mon 13 May 21:00

Happy with all of those extensions. Scully proved to be a solid keeper for the most part when he came in and it's good to have that continuity. Martin played really well at the end of the season before last and an injury left him out for a huge chunk of this season, he can also play across the backline and I imagine his wage demands are minimal.

People need to have a bit of patience this season. The club is in a tough spot and so far in terms of who has been released and the contracts that have been extended I'm perfectly happy with. Getting a youth player who was part of the Southampton setup is never terrible either. Happy about gill staying on as well think he has potential, hopefully we can get him some experience so that he can potentially be a first team player for the future
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Granthamspar  
Date:   Mon 13 May 22:31

So we still have room for Kris Boyd?

Ross Smith
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Mon 13 May 22:44

Martin was very good at left back filling in for Talbot toward end of 17/18.

The Prophet - 12/07/18.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 14 May 01:00

Really happy with Martin, out of the defenders who came through the youth system at that time he had the most potential, was fulfilling it at the end of last season before he got injured.

Will be a very good player for us this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Tue 14 May 04:47

Quote:

Granthamspar, Mon 13 May 22:31

So we still have room for Kris Boyd?

Christ, we'd need a big room.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Sliema Par  
Date:   Tue 14 May 06:41

I am delighted Lewis is signed up.

The improvement in his performance at the end of 2017/18 was truly remarkable as he stood in at LB.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 06:44

If Melvyn Bragg is going to contribute to the Pars programme; it will give the club a certain cachet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Tue 14 May 06:58

I think Martin is right footed so there is this position filled ,as for Scully great shot stopper but a bit iffy at cross balls .Also his distribution at times is suspect especially trying to get distances.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 07:12

Saying Ryan Scully has erratic distribution is a bit of an understatement.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 14 May 07:23

Only seen Paul Allan in the Fife Cup semi final but he impressed with his composure and ability to make himself available for passes. Pleased he has signed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Tue 14 May 07:55

Happy with all of these, particularly for Gill and for Martin as they have come through our youth system.
As has been said above, before his injury Lewis was playing very well, he can play anywhere across the back which is very useful. I am sure that the club must be confident he has fully recovered from the injury which caused him to miss this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Tue 14 May 12:36

A wee bit surprised at Gill signing. I thought he might have preferred to go elsewhere for game time.
Maybe he's been told he will be number one the season after next?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 14 May 13:14

presuming the contract was the same terms or better then another club would have had to pay a fee to sign him if he turned our offer down, the surprise is its a 2 year deal imo.

the rest no surprises there at all.

just leaves Craigen and Ryan from the first team who I think will both re-sign, Burt and Morrison from the reserves who will both leave imo.

11 signed for the first team right now if you include Smith in that total. needing at least a right back, a centre half, a wide player, 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers.

Post Edited (Tue 14 May 17:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_90  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:02

That's 2 ifj ackie macs oldboys signed Scully and Dow , wonder who next ,looks like an old medication ofehatd going to be happening
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:24

What has Scully to do with Macnamara or Dow for that matter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fifer Lad  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:35

Did Dow not play under Jackie at united? not sure about Scully.

Dunfermline till i die
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:36

Topic Originator: Blackandwhiteblood like | nolike
Date: Tue 14 May 15:24

What has Scully to do with Macnamara or Dow for that matter.

DYOR
And here's me thinking have was going to get some young gems
Signed up

Post Edited (Tue 14 May 15:37)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:40

Quote:

DAFC_90, Tue 14 May 15:02

That's 2 ifj ackie macs oldboys signed Scully and Dow , wonder who next ,looks like an old medication ofehatd going to be happening

Really need to work on your comprehension to be part of a debate.......
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dafc1996  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:42

Can we let sc assemble his squad and get into next season before we start judging the " gems " everyone is expecting, am sorry but if we have no money as the chairman says, I wouldn't be expecting block buster signings.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:48

nolike
Date: Tue 14 May 15:40

Quote:

DAFC_90, Tue 14 May 15:02

That's 2 of Jackie macs oldboys signed Scully and Dow , wonder who next ,looks like a good indication of what's going to be happening

Really need to work on your comprehension to be part of a debate.......

That's an excellent point 😄

Blame predictive toast
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 14 May 15:57

I would have thought SC knew enough about Scully without having to consult Jackie Mac about him. It's quite common in football to sign players who have a previous connection with someone at a club. In fact, it could be seen as an advantage.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Tue 14 May 16:12

We all know that Scully is a reasonable goalie and I always thought that Dow was a reasonable player. I'm happy that both are here.

matt forsyth

Post Edited (Tue 14 May 19:41)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 May 17:26

Topic Originator: eastendalloapar like | nolike Like: 1 - 1
Date: Tue 14 May 16:12

We all know that Scull is a reasonable goalie and I always thought that Dow was a reasonable player. I'm happy that both are here.

I'm sure many will share your view
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Tue 14 May 19:11

I'm going to buck the trend a bit and possibly eat my words later but I'm very reserved about the Martin re-signing. The boys been injured majority if not all the season.

Who's to say he'll be back to how he was pre injury? How high is the risk of him becoming injury prone and suffers something similar again, odds are surely a little higher with him? Is he at a standard where he should be in the first team, a team who should be aspiring for playoffs still next season?

I can't respond positively to each of those with any conviction, especially when we go on about needing to watch our pennies and cut costs, he's maybe cheap but a risky deal, a risk worth taking..I hope to be proven wrong.

Scully was a no brainer, think he was a cert for next season when he joined at the outset. Surprised but pleased about Gill.

As for Dow, can't comment on him as know nowt about him.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Tue 14 May 20:05

Was there a Partick co nectuon with Jackie and Scully? Or was Scully after his tenure?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end