DAFC.net
Home 20 November 2019 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Copa America
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 09:52

The tournament got underway yesterday with hosts Brazil unsurprisingly seeing off Bolivia. The biggest clash so far was between Argentina and Colombia and unsurprisingly Messi once again failed to inspire his national side and Colombia ran out 2-0 winners.

Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Copa America
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 11:27

It’s on Premier Sports here so the tournament is basically not happening as far as the UK is concerned.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 14:06

You really don't like Messi do you?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 14:25

Greatest Barcelona player of all time in my opinion.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SergioDuarte  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 14:49

He’s a bitter ersehole. Man Utd fans are all Ronaldo fanboys which involves knocking Messi at every single opportunity. Weirdos
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 15:05

Resorting to insults? Tsk tsk.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 16:39

'He’s a bitter ersehole. Man Utd fans are all Ronaldo fanboys which involves knocking Messi at every single opportunity. Weirdos'

Slavering more nonsense I see? I'm a United fan and have always felt Leo is better than Ronaldo.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 16:55

Ball at his feet Messi is better than Ronaldo non question. Ronaldo brings more to a team though. The fact that he has been a champion with every team he has played for is tesitiment to that. Messi can't say the same.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 17:04

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 16 Jun 16:39

'He’s a bitter ersehole. Man Utd fans are all Ronaldo fanboys which involves knocking Messi at every single opportunity. Weirdos'

Slavering more nonsense I see? I'm a United fan and have always felt Leo is better than Ronaldo.

Dry your eyes sweet heart
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Slevin Kelevra  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 17:07

Messi is the better player. Anyone who knows the game is well aware of this. Taking nothing away from Ronaldo. A world class player who’s worked extremely hard.

We got style and we got grace
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ft media  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 17:10

The he has won in x, y, z argument is really a non starter. Man Utd Best team in England by far even before he joined. Real Madrid... say no more.
Juve... yep they were struggling before he arrived.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 17:48

Noticed Qatar are playing in it.
Where exactly in the Americas is Qatar?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 17:54

You think that they dont own most of the Middle East?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 18:53

The fact that the debate as to who is the greatest rages on means that there is not a definitive answer

In my opinion Ronaldo just shades it because he has done more on the international side of things with a team who is not as good as Argentina

Next week my mind might change again
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 19:22

At the moment Argentina are rank rotten and have been on a steep decline since 2014. Portugal have class players all over the park so not sure about that argument 1970. They only qualified for the last World Cup because of Messi.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 19:30

Not as good as Argentina? What? Outside their forward line Argentina are absolutely howfing. Factor in players that bottle it every time they play like Higuin, a host of managers who have absolutely no idea what they're doing etc and its no surprise they are where they are. Messi has dragged that team kicking and screaming to numerous finals. Portugal are a legit good team all round so Ronaldo can shine far far more
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 19:31

Because of the number of countries in South America they invite two countries into the competition. On this occasion it is Qatar and Japan. Next time it is Qatar and Australiia.

On the best footballer thing, I think Ronaldinho is the most skillful player that ever lived.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 19:48

Maradona pisses all over the buck toothed Brazilian and had he been afforded the same protection from referees Ronaldo and Messi get, while playing on the bowling green pitches they do with the number of free kicks and penalties they get while playing for some of the best club sides of all time, he would be seen as the Greatest IMO.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 19:58

I doubt it because he would have still delf destructed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 20:14

How much would Ronaldinho be worth these days?

One of the best too imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parbucks  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 20:34

Two countries invited and surprise, surprise Qatar make it two in a row.
What are the odds on that considering all the other options?

Presumably a lot of sponsorship involved.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 20:38

Has anybody seen the new Maradona film that's in the cinemas? Wouldn't mind seeing it.

As a young kid I was always a huge Maradona fan too as I was given a video called Hero about the 1986 World Cup-still one of the best tournament performances by an individual imo.

Napoli are almost 100 years old and they never won the title before he was there and haven't won it since he left.When he was there they won the league and cup double, then they won the UEFA cup at the time and then another title before he got banned and never played another game for them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:00

I watched the Pele film on Netflix a few weeks ago and it was horrible.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:07

I wonder why USA and Canada dont take the other two slots?

Also, I never knew that...

A....Ronaldo has played more than 100 games more than Messi and Maradona (who have played roughly the same)

Or

B Messi and Maradona were at the same club at the same time in 1994.

As amazing as he was, I think Maradona's antics pretty much rule him out of being called the greatest.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:10

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sun 16 Jun 14:49

He’s a bitter ersehole. Man Utd fans are all Ronaldo fanboys which involves knocking Messi at every single opportunity. Weirdos

You sure about that? I know plenty of people who have a soft spot for Man U who think ronaldo is a total weapon myself included

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:36

"I wonder why USA and Canada dont take the other two slots"

Ipswich, I think the Gold Cup (North and Central American Championship) is usually on at the same time. They had an extra one a year back to celebrate the centenary of COMNEBOL and it was hosted by the USA although the cynics amongst us think it was more about making money from US TV than the centenary. There's another one next year by the way, as they move to the same years as the Euros.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:36

I agree with Ipswichpar, Maradona was a fine player, but an absolute disgrace for a human being and that counts him out.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:48

Cheers Kelty.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:52

Canada played in the opening match of the Gold Cup today(Scott Arfield scored for them). The games are being shown on Freesports and Premier Sports too.

Post Edited (Sun 16 Jun 21:58)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:52

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are saying the same about Ronaldo very soon. Great player , terrible human.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:54

So so bitter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:56

Aye bitter that a rapist is likely to walk free because of who he is . You bet I’m bitter .
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:59

And boom there it is.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 22:03

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sun 16 Jun 21:56

Aye bitter that a rapist is likely to walk free because of who he is . You bet I’m bitter .

I'm sure you meant to say "alleged" in your post didn't you?
Otherwise it will be removed

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 22:07

Alleged of course . Paid that poor woman $375,000 to keep her mouth closed. Footballers can do what they want eh? Scary world we live in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MESSIAH  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:07

Ronaldo is the GOAT as he's proven himself at every country he's played in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:16

Maradona almost singlehandedly won Napoli the league for the first time the season after a sensational World Cup in 1986. His performance against Belgium in the semifinals was magnificent

PS. Messi is better than Ronaldo, without any doubt

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 16 Jun 23:16)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:46

Hasn't Ronaldo inadvertently admitted to the charges, and won't visit canada or the US because he'll be detained and investigated? You'd think he'd respond like Neymar has and basically destroy the girl for being a lying git. Not gonna lie when I say that if the girl that accused Neymar is convicted of lying I hope she gets put away for a long time
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 14:18

I watched the Bobby Robson documentary the other day and the original Ronaldo was absolutely incredible. Just imagine he never had the injuries.... I think he would be mentioned in the same breath as pele, Maradona, messi and CR7

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 14:35

Ronaldo has inadvertently admitted to it. The carve up to give Modric the balon d’or was to save UEFA from embarrassment. Obviously it takes nothing away from his footballing ability but similar to Maradona an absolute animal off the pitch. Maradona isn’t even the greatest Argentinian of all time. He played against lazy unfit cloggers while smashing gear every weekend. He wouldn’t have lasted 5 mins in today’s game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 22:50

This threads gone...quiet...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 2 Jul 23:24

It's the biggest rivalry in international football. Brazil v Argentina in a couple of hours and a final roll of the dice by Messi. Hopefully this game will have a few goals and salvage what has been a lacklustre and mediocre tournament.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 09:18

Argentina haven't managed to beat Brazil in a major competitive game since 2005... And still haven't.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 19:18

If you watched the game, you'd see why. Brazil got away with an insane amount of shocking tackles, with Arthur's literal shoulder barge off the ball against Otamendi being the worst. That was a red card in rugby ffs
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 3 Jul 23:28

Quote:

SergioDuarte, Sun 16 Jun 22:07

Alleged of course . Paid that poor woman $375,000 to keep her mouth closed. Footballers can do what they want eh? Scary world we live in.

If she accepted $375,000 it wasn't rape. It was high class prostitution.
I don't believe anyone who is raped would accept anything less than a prison sentence for the perpetrator.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 00:33

Then you've never been that desperate then. Impoverished people are kept quiet constantly with bribes of cash and NDA's because they are in such a terrible situation.

Frankly if a company or person utterly screwed me and I was given the choice of paying and fighting my way through courts over the course of years, or a huge settlement, I'd take the settlement any day.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 07:03

I have no idea if he is guilty or not but if he had stood his ground and gone to court it would have taken a huge amount of time and his career probably put on hold - at his age that could have meant the end of his playing career.

As regards who is best I just think we’re blessed to have 2 such fine figures playing at the same time - I also suspect neither would have been so good without the other - every time one of them does something special the other seems to respond with similar greatness in their next match.

For me Ronald had less natural talent and had to work harder to get where he is (but as I don’t know Messi that may be an unfair presumption) and I do believe he drives his country on more than Messi - if I was given the opportunity to go and see one of them in action though i’d go with Messi.

That said, give me Kozma any day 😉
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email: